HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Your Team's Biggest Current Rivalries

Old
11-26-2012, 09:41 PM
M Gaz
Drink to me

vCash: 500
Ranger fan

Devils - No explanation necessary. Intense regular season/playoff games, divisional rivalry, territorial rivalry....

Flyers - Again, no explanation necessary. Same as the Devils but with more fighting.

Islanders - The games are still fun to watch. Will definitely pick back up as the Isles improve.

Penguins - This one's kinda on/off. Not much respect between the coaches, players, and fans, which always makes for interesting games.

HM: Bruins - The games vs them are always entertaining. I love when we beat the Bruins and I'm sure their fans love when they beat us. Plus, it's a classic O6 matchup.

HM: Senators - I can see this becoming a solid rivalry. That was an intense playoff series and there was no love lost between these two teams. There's a lot of potential here.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:48 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post

They've made a lot of enemies.

Biggest Rival

1. Canadiens

Secondary Rivalries

2. Sabres - All the ingredients are there (Playoffs, many "incidents", player rivalries, etc.), and it will only get more heated from here on out with Ott

3. Flyers - A rivalry built on the Playoffs and similar hard-hitting styles; there have been some questionable hits between the two, but I think most of the rivalry has to do with mutual respect. The games are very entertaining but I don't think it's really a bad-blooded rivalry.

4. Canucks - Still a lot of bad blood there, and less games against each other means the atmosphere will always be heightened when they do meet.

5. Hurricanes - They could almost be indifferent to us when you look at how one-sided the games have been, but I think they just like to troll.

HM: Stars - Random rivalry is random. We'll see what happens in the future, but I think Ott leaving means it could fizzle out.

Potential Rivalries

Lightning - Has the potential to be a rivalry, especially due to the playoffs, but it definitely isn't one yet. If Downie stayed it may have become a legit rivalry.

Capitals - Definitely not one yet, but rivalries are built in the playoffs. Another series or two could do it.

One-sided Rivalries

Penguins - Bruins fans hate the Penguins, but they're indifferent

Maple Leafs - Leafs fans hate the Bruins, but we're indifferent.
I don't think Leafs fans really hate the Bruins...they mainly hate the Habs.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:48 PM
bigbuffalo313

NYR fan
In order I dislike each team:
NJD-obvious
PIT-divisional rivalry
NYI-they care more about us losing than them winning
WSH-playoff rivalry
OTT-after the last playoffs
VAN-because I am a hockey fan
MNT-they can't lose at the bell centre

I don't hate PHI(only sport I don't)since last season. Before that I did but things have changed. I wouldn't root for them to beat each tam but I would over teams listed above(except VAN, I don't want a rival to win the cup)

bigbuffalo313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Stars fan...

Gary Bettman.

Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:54 PM
adsfan

Preds fan from the AHL farm team in Milwaukee:

Detroit is a regular season and playoff rival. Kicking them out of the playoffs was a step forward in team history. Beating them in the season series is a big deal.

Chicago is a distant second place.

St. Louis is developing as a rival due to their recent improvement.

San Jose is a playoff rival.

Anaheim. The teams don't like each other. Playoffs again.

Minnesota. No matter how good the Preds are, they always seem to lose to the Wild. The lack of games played has slowed down the rival train.

Last edited by adsfan: 11-26-2012 at 10:00 PM.
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Dtb1381

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Chicago

Boston
San Jose

I believe that most other fans from canadian teams dislike the Canucks, but I'm pretty indifferent
Just curious to why you say boston? I know it's original six, but anything in the last 40 some years?

Dtb1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:25 PM
MessierII

Edmonton fan

Calgary first and foremost one of the greatest rivalries in the game.

Vancouver not to far behind.

Honorable mentions to Minny and Anaheim.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:29 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtb1381 View Post
Just curious to why you say boston? I know it's original six, but anything in the last 40 some years?
i'm assuming it's because van lost the sc to them.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:34 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post

Rivals:
1. Obvious reasons.
2. Always a scrum or bad blood between the 2 teams ex. playoffs of 2010.
3. Obvious reasons, but needs a kick to kindle the rivalry like a playoffs series.
there is no rivalry between the Habs and Flyers. At least not since the 80s. There is absolutely no bad blood between the two teams, especially when they met in the 2010 playoffs. Flyers/Habs games usually end up with the Flyers dominating the entire game, while the Habs put up little fight

It's the one team I'm glad to face since the Habs seem to never put up much of a fight

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:04 PM
BlueDream

1. Chicago - Lots of history, located close to each other, and St. Louis and Chicago will always dislike each other from other sports too. Plus both teams are good at the same time again so it's going to remain intense. There are always lots of fights between these two and that won't change; they dislike each other.

2. Detroit - A lot of history with them as well. Us, Detroit, and Chicago form a triangle of hate so we'll always be rivals as long as they stay in the Central. The Wings are always good and are extremely frustrating to play against. Although their lack of physical players makes this rivalry not as fun for me anymore...it's competitive, but not as much 'hatred'. There just isn't enough bad blood or fights for my liking, so this one is kind of on the decline IMO.

3. Columbus - More of a one-sided rivalry since they are terrible and have a strong hatred for us, but we still don't like them either. Soccergate, Oshie, and lots of fights/injuries among the two teams the past couple years have really sparked this into a solid rivalry. It'd be better if Columbus was good but they still play us pretty tough. I think it'll still stay strong even though Nash is gone. Both teams have guys that will keep the bad blood going - the games are heated.

Rivalry on the rise:

+ Minnesota - Games between us and the Wild are so intense. Lots of fights and bad blood; they clearly don't like each other. Stewart also I think had some incidents with them from his Colorado days so he can keep that going. Both teams play a physical game and they are just fun to watch. Hopefully Minnesota can get put in our division soon because then it would really take off.

I think those are our 4 rivals. I don't really have much of a dislike for Nashville personally. Everyone dislikes Vancouver but they aren't really our rival.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuffalo313 View Post
NYR fan
In order I dislike each team:
NJD-obvious
PIT-divisional rivalry
NYI-they care more about us losing than them winning
WSH-playoff rivalry
OTT-after the last playoffs
VAN-because I am a hockey fan
MNT-they can't lose at the bell centre

I don't hate PHI(only sport I don't)since last season. Before that I did but things have changed. I wouldn't root for them to beat each tam but I would over teams listed above(except VAN, I don't want a rival to win the cup)
Put yourself in an Isles fan shoes, hopelessly losing every year, and then tell me what YOU would do? If the Isles were really really good and you guys were where we've been for a long time now, wouldn't you want us to lose? Nothing worse than being kicked when you're down.

Anyways, I'd have to say:

1) Pittsburgh Penguins - Ever since the DP knockout and the Penguin massacre, these games have always been pretty intense (aside from when Crosby came back versus our rookie goalie playing his 1st NHL game).

2) NY Rangers - This one, IMO, is more between the fans than the actual teams. Isles fans feel like Ranger fans walk around thinking their team is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and it doesn't help when they take over half your arena and act like they own the damn place. Can't wait to see what happens with this rivalry when we move into our new house and start spending more money whilst our prospects also start panning out

3) Toronto - Dates back to the 2002 playoffs, but these games are always incredibly feisty for some reason and the fans definitely don't get along.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:26 AM
medhatcanuck

For van:

1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Ourselves

LA/VAN isn't really a rivalry IMO.

It sucks sometimes, because I'm a huge appreciator of the Blackhawks, Bruins, and Kings. I really like those teams.

medhatcanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:31 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
i'm assuming it's because van lost the sc to them.
the finals and th Marchand hit, the games we play get pretty heated

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:35 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

:

As a Avs fan teams I am really starting to hate is Blues and Oilers.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:48 AM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Boston

Leafs

Sens/Hurricanes/Flyers/Pens

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:21 AM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Ducks:
Sharks: Players don't like each other and every time they meet it's a charged contest.
Kings: More between the fans than anything. A lot of the players are actually friends.
Predators: Probably came out of the 2011 series but these teams play each other like they're angry almost every time.
Phoenix: Games between the two have been getting heated as of late

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Rangerboy030

In the following order (in my opinion).

When hockey finally starts up again, the first regular season series will be a bloodbath and it won't cool off any time soon.

Last season kicked this one up a notch or 2

Several recent playoff series and incidents like the Orpik knee on Stepan fuels this one.

Not what it used to be, but a strong rivalry nonetheless

Similar situation to the pens, only we don't play each other as much in the regular season.

Rangerboy030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:42 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post

2. Detroit - A lot of history with them as well. Us, Detroit, and Chicago form a triangle of hate so we'll always be rivals as long as they stay in the Central. The Wings are always good and are extremely frustrating to play against. Although their lack of physical players makes this rivalry not as fun for me anymore...it's competitive, but not as much 'hatred'. There just isn't enough bad blood or fights for my liking, so this one is kind of on the decline IMO.
Detroit players don't like the Blues very much, getting their attention usually helps and with a guy like Tootoo around to stir the pot I think that is going to pick up. Datsyuk and Jackman hate each other and they play each other pretty hard, very few guys bring out in Datsyuk what Jackman does. They were pretty close to having a few games go sideways last year, but I think Detroit knows they are outgunned in that department should it head that direction. Of course the fact they seem to universally dislike Stewart from the Kronwall hit and mugging Brad Stuart after a clean hit fresh from the bench has escalated things. As much as some consider them soft once they start talking about teams generally there is a response coming, I expect this to pick up from hearing the leadership guys on the Wings talk about the Blues. They respect them and don't like them, generally that is where most Red Wings rivalries take off. Not pure hatred, enough teams try the bully route, you have to have some respect talent wise going into it as a hockey team, the Blues got that last year.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 04:33 AM
Minor Boarding

sadly no one...
Boring divisional rivals we have no interesting history with and that have been founded after the Kings-Canadiens finals, '93 -'97.
Those teams became decent after we (Kings) traded away Gretzky and entered the McNalls downfall which resulted in the late '90s Kings that was a dark era in terms of any kind of success.
The GM Taylor, coach Andy Murray era (LAPD - Alisson, Palffy, Deadmarsh) in the early '00s was too short and with back to back record breaking (still owned by the Kings) number of injured players (man games lost) that included injuries to most of the top 6 and a post deadline collapse in 2005-06 that ended Taylors GM career and lead to the Dean Lombardi rebuild that started post lockout.

Historically our rivals used to be Alberta teams that we had to face every year in the playoffs back in the Smythe division days, the Vancouver playoff games were also quite interesting...

Last edited by Minor Boarding: 11-27-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 06:01 AM
Noisespektrum

Toronto's
is

1.Ottawa
2.Ottawa
3.Ottawa

Noisespektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 06:09 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Detroit players don't like the Blues very much, getting their attention usually helps and with a guy like Tootoo around to stir the pot I think that is going to pick up. Datsyuk and Jackman hate each other and they play each other pretty hard, very few guys bring out in Datsyuk what Jackman does. They were pretty close to having a few games go sideways last year, but I think Detroit knows they are outgunned in that department should it head that direction. Of course the fact they seem to universally dislike Stewart from the Kronwall hit and mugging Brad Stuart after a clean hit fresh from the bench has escalated things. As much as some consider them soft once they start talking about teams generally there is a response coming, I expect this to pick up from hearing the leadership guys on the Wings talk about the Blues. They respect them and don't like them, generally that is where most Red Wings rivalries take off. Not pure hatred, enough teams try the bully route, you have to have some respect talent wise going into it as a hockey team, the Blues got that last year.
Very good post and you make some nice points. When I posted that I forgot that the Wings had added Tootoo. Yeah he has gotten under our skin a lot and will really ignite things.

Detroit can play physical when it comes to checking, so I hope you are right. Hopeully the rivalry stays strong. Should be a good battle for the Central whenever the hell the NHL starts again...

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 06:48 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post

Maple Leafs - Leafs fans hate the Bruins, but we're indifferent.

you would be insanely wrong.

- actually alot of leaf fans respect the Bruins, playing the Bruins makes Leaf fans hate the Leafs

There isnt even a rivalry there, the Kessel thing is burned out...its more like hoping kessel can actually not be a beanbag vs the bruins

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:37 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
you would be insanely wrong.

- actually alot of leaf fans respect the Bruins, playing the Bruins makes Leaf fans hate the Leafs
There isnt even a rivalry there, the Kessel thing is burned out...its more like hoping kessel can actually not be a beanbag vs the bruins
That is a pretty funny way to put it

Considering the Bruins probably have as many players from the Toronto area as anyone, I can see how some TO people would actually like the Bruins, not to mention that the Bruins actually are exactly like what Burke says he is trying to build in Toronto.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

- Obvious is obvious

- This is also a heated rivalry

- Goes back and forth

Secondary:

- They're always tough to play against, and after the recent mess, it's growing, and my next full fledged regular rivalry closest to joining.

- After two cup finals recently there will be ties.

- This is two teams very well matched up.

- They think they're top rivals to us, I don't have that same feeling. Had they been in our division they sure would be.

- I think this one has been subdued only due to lack of talent, but now they have Jordan Staal and some really good signings they will be a tough opponent, and the rivalry should grow.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:30 AM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

vCash: 50
Ottawa doesn't really have any intense rivalries at the moment, in my opinion. I guess if you made me choose though I'd put this order...

1. Toronto Maple Leafs: Nothing like it was, but obviously still some disdain on both ends
2. Buffalo Sabres: The only other division team we've had a rivalry with
3. Pittsburgh Penguins: A few heated playoff series against them, has faded though

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote