HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Other Sports Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Rhaego

vCash: 50
If we fired Embree were idiots. He's the fall guy, there was absolutely no talent here yet and they didn't him any time.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
If we fired Embree were idiots. He's the fall guy, there was absolutely no talent here yet and they didn't him any time.
Lol no. somehow there should be enough talent to at least win against Fresno, CSU and Sac state. Just about last in both offense and defense. He should be, and is gone.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:30 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 157
You get blown out in pretty much every conference game, can't even beat Sacramento State and CSU, you don't survive that. It's not like his recruiting is great either, we're close to last in the conference. Go get Sonny Dykes, that San Jose State HC.

At least we still have Tad Boyle.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Rhaego

You two suck. Hawkins got 5 years, you need to let Embree turn it around.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:25 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
While Dan Hawkins was in charge, they never got blown out every single conference game. Except Missouri, CU was actually in the game from the start. He only got 5 years because Bohn was an idiot and extended him when Hawk was 3-0 to start the year in his 3rd year there.

I believe HC should get at least 3 years, however when you show no progress on the field nor on the recruiting trails, it's time to move on.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Adama0905

vCash: 500
Quote:
Hawkins sucked, but he didn't turn in the worst season in history.

CU Football is screwed anyway, who cares who's running it. The only thing people should care about when it comes to CU is their basketball team.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:00 PM
chet1926

First, Embree got totally screwed, 2 years to turn around a program is a near impossibility. That being said last year was the worst season I've ever seen by CU, they were literally blown out in every game they played except against CSU, Sac St, Wash St (win), and Utah. They gave up almost 70 against Fresno St, are you kidding me.

This is what had to do Embree in, the sheer fact that we were irrelevant in the 2nd half of pretty much every game. There was nothing positive about this season. This and the bleak outlook for coming seasons was the undoing for Embree and his staff. Also from the sounds of it he was getting pressure to make staff changes and he wasn't willing to do it. And if thats the case Embree is being stupid you can't be near the bottom of D1 in offense and defense and make no coaching changes. I feel bad for Embree because he wasn't given a fair shot, but I can also see why they made the decision.

Now the key part is where do they go from here. Who's next? A few prime choices look to be in no particular order:

Jeff Tedford (former Cal coach), Troy Calhoun (AFA coach), Jim Tressel (former Ohio St coach, we probably all know the story), Gene Chizik (former Auburn coach), Bob Stitt (Colorado School of Mines coach), John Wirsten (CSU Pueblo coach)

I'm sure there are others but can't think of them right now.

Obviously if you could lure Tressel here, he would be head and shoulders better than the rest of the options, but I find it highly unlikely he would want to come to a program in complete shambles.

Calhoun would also be a go get but he also turned down Tennessee a couple years back, so why would he come to CU.

Chizik would probably come, but I'm not sold on him as a coach as he only won because of Cam Newton.

The two small time coaches would be a risk, but I think both are very solid coaches. Look at the guy from Texas A&M he was coaching at Sam Houston State last year.

I think in the end they will go for Jeff Tedford. Which would be a so-so hire. Has Pac 12 experience and is a solid coach. But his performance has slipped over the past 3 years at Cal which is why he got fired. So maybe the Pac 12 has passed him up. Does recruit high quality QBs though.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:03 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Seems CU needs Arsene Wenger. Or Robert di Matteo who was recently sacked as well, and is probably one of the best coaches on the free market as we speak.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:05 PM
chet1926

Really disappointed that Embree played the race card during his interview with the Denver Post. Basically saying race had something to do with him getting fired.

I'm sorry Embree but you got fired because of lack of performance, and from the sounds of it your decision to stand by your friends who put together terrible coordinator seasons as well and did deserve to get canned. Sometimes in life you have to make difficult decisions, and Embree was unwilling to make a tough decision to fire some of his buddies, so the university made the decision for him.

Did Embree get the short end of the stick, in my opinion yes, but him being African American had nothing to do with it.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:19 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Really disappointed that Embree played the race card during his interview with the Denver Post. Basically saying race had something to do with him getting fired.

I'm sorry Embree but you got fired because of lack of performance, and from the sounds of it your decision to stand by your friends who put together terrible coordinator seasons as well and did deserve to get canned. Sometimes in life you have to make difficult decisions, and Embree was unwilling to make a tough decision to fire some of his buddies, so the university made the decision for him.

Did Embree get the short end of the stick, in my opinion yes, but him being African American had nothing to do with it.
Agree 100%.

Personally, I think Tedford would be a great hire. He is a guy you want when your program hits rock bottom, he already did well at Cal under this situation . Making a solid foundation for the new coach to succeed. Also if CU gets him, it's all but certain that Mitchell Parsons(One of the top players in state of CO) will recommit to CU which is another positive.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:43 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

I wouldn't mind Justin Wilcox either, it'll be even better if he brings Tosh Lupoi with him

Old
11-26-2012, 12:36 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
First, Embree got totally screwed, 2 years to turn around a program is a near impossibility. That being said last year was the worst season I've ever seen by CU, they were literally blown out in every game they played except against CSU, Sac St, Wash St (win), and Utah. They gave up almost 70 against Fresno St, are you kidding me.

This is what had to do Embree in, the sheer fact that we were irrelevant in the 2nd half of pretty much every game. There was nothing positive about this season. This and the bleak outlook for coming seasons was the undoing for Embree and his staff. Also from the sounds of it he was getting pressure to make staff changes and he wasn't willing to do it. And if thats the case Embree is being stupid you can't be near the bottom of D1 in offense and defense and make no coaching changes. I feel bad for Embree because he wasn't given a fair shot, but I can also see why they made the decision.

Now the key part is where do they go from here. Who's next? A few prime choices look to be in no particular order:

Jeff Tedford (former Cal coach), Troy Calhoun (AFA coach), Jim Tressel (former Ohio St coach, we probably all know the story), Gene Chizik (former Auburn coach), Bob Stitt (Colorado School of Mines coach), John Wirsten (CSU Pueblo coach)

I'm sure there are others but can't think of them right now.

Obviously if you could lure Tressel here, he would be head and shoulders better than the rest of the options, but I find it highly unlikely he would want to come to a program in complete shambles.

Calhoun would also be a go get but he also turned down Tennessee a couple years back, so why would he come to CU.

Chizik would probably come, but I'm not sold on him as a coach as he only won because of Cam Newton.

The two small time coaches would be a risk, but I think both are very solid coaches. Look at the guy from Texas A&M he was coaching at Sam Houston State last year.

I think in the end they will go for Jeff Tedford. Which would be a so-so hire. Has Pac 12 experience and is a solid coach. But his performance has slipped over the past 3 years at Cal which is why he got fired. So maybe the Pac 12 has passed him up. Does recruit high quality QBs though.
On the fence about Calhoun and his offense, it would take a roster purge to get that to work.

No to Stitt as an hc, perhaps as an oc.

I would have loved Tedford a couple of years ago, but I'm lukewarm on him after his last few seasons at Cal.

Not sure who I want yet.

Old
11-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
The only thing people should care about when it comes to CU is their basketball team.
Never thought I'd see that sentence.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Never thought I'd become a Nebraska fan either.

Oh wait, neither one of those happened.

Old
11-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

I'm not generally a prognosticator or someone who does a ton of fishing for information, but I would wager a LOT of money on Troy Calhoun being the next HC at Colorado. Bohn has wanted him for a while., he almost hired him a couple of years ago despite what everybody else wanted him to do.

Personally, I really want Belotti (who is probably interested), but I suspect the deal is good as done.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Tressel

Old
11-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

I would bet my life fortune sweatervest won't even be looked at.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:17 PM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Tressel
Tressel still has 4 years remaining on his show cause penalty. He is radioactive.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:25 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Reading premium boards, looks like Dave Doeren is a candidate as well. I don't mind him. Gary Anderson from Utah State should be looked at as well.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:43 PM
anleva

Dave Doeren has done a incredible job at Northern Illinois. Former DC at Wisconsin as well. He is solid.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

I think Doeren is, but Anderson isn't a candidate.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
I would bet my life fortune sweatervest won't even be looked at.
Shame if true.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Shame if true.
He is toxic goods. Not worth even thinking about.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
He is toxic goods. Not worth even thinking about.
CU is the worst team in the NCAA, what do they have to lose?

Old
11-27-2012, 12:14 AM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
I think Doeren is, but Anderson isn't a candidate.
Since Bohn said he already has a favorite and is currently a HC of a college team, so I believe it's going to be Doeren, Calhoun or DeRuyter that gets the job. Out of those 3, I prefer Doeren.

DeRuyter is reported to be interested in the CU job if you believe DP.

Also, Mark Mangino reached out to CU Said he wouldn't mind being an OC here

Closed Thread