HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012 NBA Off-Season Thread: There's a new team in town

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 10:51 PM
17futurecap

vCash: 500
Melo kept them in the game in that 4th quarter tonight, battling for every rebound. I'm not a fan of the shot he put up to win it in the 4th, basically the same shot he tried in Dallas, would like him to drive. Him or Felton couldn't buy a shot in overtime, but I thought Melo played well tonight. Felton was atrocious tonight, how many bricks can he put up? What has happened to Novak?

I expect 3-1 going into the Heat game with the Bucks, Wizards, Suns, and Bobcats coming up.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Snow Soccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
It's now official, Sting. Melo is my new Arod. Skill aside, he's just a complete turd.

I'll root for him only because of the uniform he wears. But the flopping, the crying, the laziness....I thought he was turning over a new leaf under Woodson, but nope...same old childish, selfish garbage from his Denver days.

And for the record, this has nothing to do with the last few losses. Even in victory, his mannerisms bother me.

Same with A-Rod. In my 30-plus years of watching sports in this town, it's hard to find to more unlikeable stars from my own team than A-Rod and Melo.
Are you kidding me? Melo, aside from Tyson was the only guy who showed up tonight. Sheed had a few moments, but Felton was 3-19 and no one else scored more than 6.. This game's not close without Melo.

I had a big problem with Woodson playing Melo the entire second half. It was clear that the guy was running on E late in the 4th and especially in OT - the missed FTs sucked, but part of it is because of tired legs.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Anthony is good, but I agree. I liked it better when we had Gallinari and the boys on the bus. We were really developing talent through the draft. If we kept Lee instead of Stoudemire too, we'd be better off.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Snow Soccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Anthony is good, but I agree. I liked it better when we had Gallinari and the boys on the bus. We were really developing talent through the draft. If we kept Lee instead of Stoudemire too, we'd be better off.
I have two complaints about Melo. One - he does whine about calls a lot during live play. I mean, have a little tact - hustle back on D and on the next dead ball come over to the ref and explain your case. I've seen LeBron do this all the time, and guess what, he gets a ton of superstar type calls that Melo doesn't. I'm still hoping one of the vets or Woodson gets through to him on that. It's correctable.

The other is he takes some bad shots. I mean, look at tonight, he was on fire but ended up 11-25. There's been a bunch of games where he was unstoppable, but he just resorts to taking bad shots. If he cuts out taking a couple of bad shots per game, he would be shooting well over 50%.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:48 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Soccer View Post
Are you kidding me? Melo, aside from Tyson was the only guy who showed up tonight. Sheed had a few moments, but Felton was 3-19 and no one else scored more than 6.. This game's not close without Melo.

I had a big problem with Woodson playing Melo the entire second half. It was clear that the guy was running on E late in the 4th and especially in OT - the missed FTs sucked, but part of it is because of tired legs.
Nope, not kidding. Like I said tonight was just another example with the loafing, crying, flopping and joking around. Besides he took 25 shots and 16 FTA's. He missed six free throws and was invisible down the stretch when it mattered.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:28 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Barclay's Center sounds like a rap concert. Music is played every damn minute.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Snow Soccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Nope, not kidding. Like I said tonight was just another example with the loafing, crying, flopping and joking around. Besides he took 25 shots and 16 FTA's. He missed six free throws and was invisible down the stretch when it mattered.
I'm not a fan of some of Carmelo's on the floor mannerisms, but getting to the FT line 16 times is a good thing, and 35 pts on 25 shots is efficient, with 6 missed FTs. Also what are you talking about Melo flopping - Melo is one guy who doesn't flop. Don't really have a problem with Melo taking that many shots when Felton's 3-19 and literally no one else contributed on offense (aside from Tyson, but you don't really call plays for him in the post)..

As for missed FTs/disappearing down the stretch, part of that's on Woodson. At the time I was pissed when I saw Melo was playing the whole second half. He's got to play better, but if he gets that 3-4 minute rest to start the 4th, he's not missing those FTs late or being a non-factor. I think Woodson knew he was tired, so he called 3 straight plays for Felton in the 4th instead of putting the ball in Melo's hands.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:07 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Soccer View Post
I'm not a fan of some of Carmelo's on the floor mannerisms, but getting to the FT line 16 times is a good thing, and 35 pts on 25 shots is efficient, with 6 missed FTs. Also what are you talking about Melo flopping - Melo is one guy who doesn't flop. Don't really have a problem with Melo taking that many shots when Felton's 3-19 and literally no one else contributed on offense (aside from Tyson, but you don't really call plays for him in the post)..

As for missed FTs/disappearing down the stretch, part of that's on Woodson. At the time I was pissed when I saw Melo was playing the whole second half. He's got to play better, but if he gets that 3-4 minute rest to start the 4th, he's not missing those FTs late or being a non-factor. I think Woodson knew he was tired, so he called 3 straight plays for Felton in the 4th instead of putting the ball in Melo's hands.
You have to admit that Melo certainly acts like he gets mugged every possession. I know he's been unlucky with the calls but he's a big reason behind that. He complains and complains and complains in front of the refs every game. I'm convinced he doesnt get obvious calls because the refs simply dont like him.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Which is ********, and isn't indicative of a problem with Melo but with how awful NBA refs are. James Harden and his "eurostep" travel never get called but before last night Carmelo wasn't getting any calls he shouldve been getting. Watching Reggie Evans and Gerald Wallace flop around and have refs eat that **** up would make me act like Melo on the floor too.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
You guys talking trash on Melo's hustle and what not are laughable. Clearly this IS a hockey forum, but, if you're gonna watch, at least know what the hell you're talking about.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
You guys talking trash on Melo's hustle and what not are laughable. Clearly this IS a hockey forum, but, if you're gonna watch, at least know what the hell you're talking about.
GWOW I think is a longtime knicks fan

IMO we should have Kept David Lee.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:34 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Think the longer Pau struggles under Mike, the more likely we're going to hear more and more about a Pau for Amar'e trade

Old
11-28-2012, 04:10 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Think the longer Pau struggles under Mike, the more likely we're going to hear more and more about a Pau for Amar'e trade
Pau for JSmoove is apparently much more likely according to the industry wags.

The Nets community over on RealGM has also been preaching the idea of a deal centered around Hump & MarShon.

If I'm LAL I'd much rather either of those deals than taking on Amar'e and his contract/diminished play/injury risk...

Old
11-28-2012, 09:03 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

I cannot keep track of when the Knicks play

Missed everything up to the end of the third, sounds like a good bounceback game for everyone but JR

Old
11-28-2012, 09:30 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
I cannot keep track of when the Knicks play

Missed everything up to the end of the third, sounds like a good bounceback game for everyone but JR
Very nice and comfortable game, never went under double digits in the second half. Melo got some good rest tonight, and Prigioni and Novak were awesome off the bench. Nice bounce back from Felton as well.

Next game is Friday night, don't miss it .

Old
11-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
novak only good in blowouts.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:42 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
novak only good in blowouts.
He helped make it a blowout. Guy played 40 minutes tonight.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:42 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Knicks back to blowing teams out.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:09 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Wow. Nets just HANDLED Boston. Up by 20-odd in the first half. Rondo and KG opt to thug it up and the Nets lose Hump and Crash to Boston's Rondo. Boston tries repeated comebacks, tries to get the crowd into it, but the Nets never let them get closer than 9 and basically hold a double digit lead for the entire game, despite all the craziness. And this is in a classic trap game - in Boston, after beating the Knicks.

Gutsy, defining win. The kind of win a only a damn good team gets.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:10 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Wow. Nets just HANDLED Boston. Up by 20-odd in the first half. Rondo and KG opt to thug it up and the Nets lose Hump and Crash to Boston's Rondo. Boston tries repeated comebacks, tries to get the crowd into it, but the Nets never let them get closer than 9 and basically hold a double digit lead for the entire game, despite all the craziness. In Boston, after beating the Knicks.

Gutsy, defining win.
Is Crash Wallace's nickname for the noise he makes when he hits the floor flopping?

Just saw the highlight... Holy overreaction from KG and the Celtics. Looked more like a flop than a foul on Humphries. I suppose that was buildup from the entire game that just boiled over.

Last edited by silverfish: 11-28-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old
11-28-2012, 10:36 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Is Crash Wallace's nickname for the noise he makes when he hits the floor flopping?

Just saw the highlight... Holy overreaction from KG and the Celtics. Looked more like a flop than a foul on Humphries. I suppose that was buildup from the entire game that just boiled over.
Hahaha. Well, yes - but only because it's the sound he makes doing pretty much EVERYTHING on the basketball court. Love him - pure energy, defense, rebounding, runs the floor, can shoot the three and finish at the rack as well. Great player. Love a bunch of guys on this team - Crash, Lopez, D-Will, Evans, Blatche, Stack... even Tyshawn and Toko in the brief glimpses we've gotten of them in garbage time. Honestly the only guys I'm not all that wild about are Johnson (when he goes into Iso-Joe mode) and MarShon (for similar reasons).

As to the "fight", yeah the C's pretty much instigated it on purpose. Mildly awkward foul by Hump on KG, which Rondo used as an excuse to start a melee that went into the stands. It was such an obvious overreaction I was actually wondering if Rondo just wanted an early exit from the blowout.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:50 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Of course, it's hard for me to TOTALLY rag on Johnson when he does things like this to one of my least favorite players on one of my least favorite teams...

Old
11-29-2012, 01:40 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

9 of 10 Knicks wins have been by double digits IIRC.

By the way, Miami was gifted a real break in the schedule after their road trip. 12 of 14 at home?

Personally I'm glad the Knicks have knocked off some tough games on their schedule and are 10-4 with all the injuries. I think 50 wins is pretty reasonable.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:19 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
50 wins is definitely attainable. 40-28 from here out? If the old guys hold up, they'll do it.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:23 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

https://twitter.com/ErinAndrews/stat...99355601342466

Quote:
really?? tweeting a post gm "scratched" arm photo from a hoops gm? have you seen the injuries NFL and NHL players get? #taketheskirtoff

Closed Thread