HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bryan Fogarty

Old
02-17-2008, 11:28 PM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
Bryan Fogarty

I was reading some old hockey articles online, and I came across one about Fogarty. I remember reading how in junior he was very highly regarded, but didn't live up to that potential due to alcoholism and possibly other substances. I'm just curious, for the people who saw him play, had he not had the personal issues, could he have lived up to the hype around him? What would you say his career potential could have been?

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 12:02 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontGoInThere View Post
I was reading some old hockey articles online, and I came across one about Fogarty. I remember reading how in junior he was very highly regarded, but didn't live up to that potential due to alcoholism and possibly other substances. I'm just curious, for the people who saw him play, had he not had the personal issues, could he have lived up to the hype around him? What would you say his career potential could have been?
i tried out for the knoxville speed and he was on the team. he could really skate and move the puck. seemed like a good guy. i was only there for a few days()but the rest of the guys seemed to like him. we all knew who he was. against the caliber of players we had there(uhl) he was damn good. as for potential... we all had potential, so who knows. for the record, i never saw him drunk or stoned or whatever. my buddy also played with him in elmira. i remember talking with him about fogarty, he said basically the same as i did. the guy seemed normal.anyway what player doesnt like his beer?

Last edited by vivianmb: 02-18-2008 at 12:07 AM.
vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
i tried out for the knoxville speed and he was on the team. he could really skate and move the puck. seemed like a good guy. i was only there for a few days()but the rest of the guys seemed to like him. we all knew who he was. against the caliber of players we had there(uhl) he was damn good. as for potential... we all had potential, so who knows. for the record, i never saw him drunk or stoned or whatever. my buddy also played with him in elmira. i remember talking with him about fogarty, he said basically the same as i did. the guy seemed normal.anyway what player doesnt like his beer?
By that point he was 31 and hadn't played in the NHL in 5 years. Just looking at hockeydb shows he hadn't played a full season of hockey since his last year in the OHL (1988-89).

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 10:47 AM
tony d
Ocean Spray

Fogarty is a tragic story if there ever was one in hockey. The guy could have been a top defenseman in his era but unfortunately demons such as alcohol haunted him and ultimately caused his death in 2002.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Roy G Biv*

Mats Sundin once said that Fogarty would show up drunk to practice, and would still display twice the level of skill of anyone on the Nordiques.

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 12:42 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
By that point he was 31 and hadn't played in the NHL in 5 years. Just looking at hockeydb shows he hadn't played a full season of hockey since his last year in the OHL (1988-89).
yeah but he could still play trust me.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
Mats Sundin once said that Fogarty would show up drunk to practice, and would still display twice the level of skill of anyone on the Nordiques.
funny thing is - there were players like Joe Sakic and Owen Nolan on the team.

Passchendaele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Sensfanman

Apparently everyone loved him but he always thought he was disliked and needed to seek approval. That's why when he was playing with adults while still a teen he drank to prove himself a man and never really stopped.

I think there's an article out there talking about how he'd go to the coach and ask if the other players liked him after practice.

I suppose if he had more self confidence then he could have avoided tragedy but I guess that's what separates the goods from the legends.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Hockeynomad

Fogarty's problems were evident in junior, the drinking and partying, that he was passed over by the World Junior teams for these reasons.

Hockeynomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 02:30 PM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Fogarty is a tragic story if there ever was one in hockey. The guy could have been a top defenseman in his era but unfortunately demons such as alcohol haunted him and ultimately caused his death in 2002.
Fogarty's downfall was he suffered from severe social anxiety. To counter it, he drank. I read an article once about him, he couldn't even walk back to his room after a day of drinking. A couple teammates tried to get to him in the morning, thought he was really hungover and thought he missed the practice. They got to the rink, and Fogarty was one of the first players there, as if he didn't drink the night before. They were quoted in saying something of the sort "I don't know how he does, if I drank like he did the night before I wouldn't of been able to get up all day, and that's when it hit me, I was scared for Brian".

There was tons of pressure surrounding him, he broke Bobby Orr's OHL record FFS, for most point in a season by a defenseman. 60gp, 47g, 108a, 155p. I'm surprised that he had all that success in the OHL suffering from social anxiety, being criticized over the smallest things would destroy him emotionally. At the NHL level, his drinking just kept getting worse, and it quickly started destroying his career, which could of been one of the greatest ever.

If you, or know someone that has a bad case of social anxiety, you might be able to understand why this all happened to him.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 02:40 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
Fogarty's downfall was he suffered from severe social anxiety. To counter it, he drank. I read an article once about him, he couldn't even walk back to his room after a day of drinking. A couple teammates tried to get to him in the morning, thought he was really hungover and thought he missed the practice. They got to the rink, and Fogarty was one of the first players there, as if he didn't drink the night before. They were quoted in saying something of the sort "I don't know how he does, if I drank like he did the night before I wouldn't of been able to get up all day, and that's when it hit me, I was scared for Brian".

There was tons of pressure surrounding him, he broke Bobby Orr's OHL record FFS, for most point in a season by a defenseman. 60gp, 47g, 108a, 155p. I'm surprised that he had all that success in the OHL suffering from social anxiety, being criticized over the smallest things would destroy him emotionally. At the NHL level, his drinking just kept getting worse, and it quickly started destroying his career, which could of been one of the greatest ever.

If you, or know someone that has a bad case of social anxiety, you might be able to understand why this all happened to him.
Indeed. My best friends younger brother suffers from this and has for aslong as I can remember...we just didnt know what it was.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:

Very interesting angle on Fogarty, one which I never heard. Thanks for sharing.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Bryzga lol*

Quote:
Fogarty's downfall was he suffered from severe social anxiety. To counter it, he drank.
Not to go offtrack, but alcoholism usually stems from a deeper problem, social anxiety being one of the main ones. The term alcoholism is vague and usually associated with AA even though it's not always the correct alternative.

I've often wondered "what could have been" when I hear the name Bryan Fogarty. Makes it a lot more sad considering he was a really nice guy.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 09:54 PM
RUSqueelin*

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no20fogarty.html

RUSqueelin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 10:18 PM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSqueelin View Post
My favorite quotes.

Quote:
Mats Sundin told me this: "Bryan Fogarty could skate faster, shoot harder and pass crisper drunk than the rest of us could sober."
-Max Offenberger
Quote:
He was the best player I have ever seen. He had a heart of gold. He'd never hurt a fly. He'd do anything for you. He just couldn't help himself.
-Marc Laforge

Quote:
Not to go offtrack, but alcoholism usually stems from a deeper problem, social anxiety being one of the main ones. The term alcoholism is vague and usually associated with AA even though it's not always the correct alternative.
Always depends how bad it is, I know someone who can't be around people unless they drink,and I think that's a similar situation Fogarty was in.

Old
02-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Always depends how bad it is, I know someone who can't be around people unless they drink,and I think that's a similar situation Fogarty was in.
It's also worth noting that he grew up in Brantford...not really a town known for it's strict drinking restrictions. If you've ever been there, it's not hard to buy alcohol and get into bars under age with no ID, especially with older friends. The poor kid likely had issues but if someone would have stopped him sooner...it might not have gotten as bad as it did.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 01:41 AM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSqueelin View Post
That was a touching article. I had no idea his personal problems were like that. Such a terrible loss.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2008, 02:40 AM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
It's also worth noting that he grew up in Brantford...not really a town known for it's strict drinking restrictions. If you've ever been there, it's not hard to buy alcohol and get into bars under age with no ID, especially with older friends. The poor kid likely had issues but if someone would have stopped him sooner...it might not have gotten as bad as it did.
Stopped him from having social anxiety..? Alcohol wasn't the focal point of his problem. Things like social anxiety weren't really known issues 20 years ago, alcohol was probably the only thing that let him keep going. If he lived in this day and age, someone might of noticed his personal issues much sooner and helped him get some help.

Quote:
Brantford Minor Hockey Association coordinator Bob Coyne told reporters that "he was a star. From the time he put skates on, he was better than everyone else. "We had seen Wayne (Gretzky). Wayne had to work at it. His game was outsmarting everybody else. Fogarty's game was outperforming everybody else. That's like comparing a Volkswagen to a Corvette."
Intersting fact
Quote:
Fogarty does maintain the distinction of recording the last natural hat trick in Quebec Nordiques franchise history when he scored three straight goals on December 1, 1990

Old
03-05-2008, 09:50 PM
steevy

I was impressed

I saw him play against the Rangers when he first came up.I told friends he was"Leetch but bigger and with a much better shot",pretty high praise,but I think warranted.The guy might have put up huge numbers if he hadn't had the problems he did.Sad always to see potential not reached....

steevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Pierre Gotye

It's such a shame and a waste, that no mention and little creedence is given to Fogarty. What a player. His 88-89 stats with Niagara, as a defenseman are just insane!!!

I love this guy. An NHLer who never fully realized his potential. I still think he is quite a beauty. Love ya Fogs...

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Victorious Secret
EVERYBODY PANIC

Sweet bump. Great read.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:32 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
I suppose if he had more self confidence then he could have avoided tragedy but I guess that's what separates the goods from the legends.
Sounds an awful lot like Terry Sawchuk to me.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2014, 01:47 PM
barnztormre
Our goley is awsom

Bryan Fogarty

I think his tale is one of the saddest of all. Had he not had the issues related to alcoholism and anxiety, how does his career turn out? One would assume the Hall of Fame beckons, barring injury.

However, if he performs at his skill level without demons there's no way he falls to Quebec at #9 in the 1987 draft. Does Buffalo select him over Pierre Turgeon, or Jersey over Shanahan? The next three picks (Boston, Los Angeles, and Pittsburgh) all went defense. Where does Fogarty go, and how do things play out with his team?

The mind boggles and the heart weeps.

Last edited by barnztormre: 11-16-2014 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Drafted 1987, not 1986
barnztormre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2014, 02:15 PM
barnztormre
Our goley is awsom

Replying to my own thread: suppose Fogarty is drafted 4th by Los Angeles and HE, not Jimmy Carson, is the centerpiece of the Gretzky trade. Carson stays where he was flourishing and doesn't have that "you're the new 99" pressure that derailed him.

Do BOTH Fogarty and Carson make the HOF?

barnztormre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Theokritos

Merged with existing thread.

Older threads:
How good could Bryan Fogarty have been?
Was Bryan Fogarty the Next Bobby Orr?

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote