HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Golden Era by Position

Old
11-26-2012, 11:35 PM
SMantzas
Next Star?

vCash: 500
Golden Era by Position

What were the golden eras for forwards, Dmen and goalies?

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Kloparren
Hth

The 90s were the golden era for dmen I'd say....Bourque, MacInnis, Lidstrom, Blake, Pronger, Chelios, Housley, Coffey, Foote, Stevens, Hatcher, Murphy, Leetch, Zubov, Niedermayer, Ozolinsh, Desjardins, etc

But I have the feeling that we're about to enter another golden era of dmen assuming they don't keep getting banged up....Myers, Pietrangelo, Subban, OEL, Doughty, Karlsson, Carlson, Faulk, Fowler, Larsson, Hedman, Keith, Weber, Suter, Chara...tonnes of good all-round dmen in the league atm with great potential.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Subjectively, the so called "Golden Era's" for most members would have been in their formative years when first impressions were the strongest. Be that the so called "Golden Era" of the NHL itself through 1967, the 70's, 80's, 90's or even 00's. Was there ever an era or decade when their was an over-abundance of talent at one or more positions that would elevate it above others? Yes & no, but I think we need to narrow the fields of criteria, eliminating players past their peaks who may have played for 15 years & so on & so forth in order to be objective about it. Delineate "era's" for starters. Rather more complex than your suggesting. As QC points out with defenceman in the 90's, well, easy to come back with an All Star team of defenceman from the 60's or 80's, then have at er'.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Hawkey Town 18

There's probably more than just one for each position, but here are some...

Centers: Mid 80's - Early 90's (Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Messier, Hawerchuk, Savard, Francis, early Sakic)

Left Wings: Late 50's - 60's (Hull, Mahovlich, Moore, Bucyk)

Right Wings: 50's (Howe, Richard, Geoffrion, Bathgate)

Defensemen: Mid 80's - Mid 90's (Bourque, Chelios, Coffey, MacInnis, Howe, Leetch, Murphy, and just because I know someone is bound to bring him up...Housley)

Goaltending: 90's - Early 00's (Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Belfour, Joseph, some of Barrasso)

Goaltending: Mid 50's - Early 60's (Plante, Hall, Sawchuk, Worsley, Bower)

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:03 PM
tony d
The man

Forwards: 50's: Names like Beliveau, Hull, Richard and Howe
Defensemen: 80's: Bourque, Chelios, Coffey
Goalies: 90's: Roy, Hasek, Brodeur

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:08 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

There was a thread on this recently but I can't find it. If anyone else does, I can merge it.

Anyway, this is my answer. It's very similar to Hawkey Town's.

Centers: 1980s. Runner up: late 1920s/early 1930s.
Left Wings: late 1950s - early 1960s. Nothing is close, but runner-up candidates would be the late 1930s (Blake, Jackson) or the late 2000s with Ovechkin and company.
Right Wings: 1950s. Runner up: 1990s. 1980s could also be a runner up if you include non-NHL hockey. The Europeans made a huge influence on RWs.
Defense: late 1980s - early 1990s. Runner up: late 1970s
Goaltending: 1990s - early 2000s. Runner up: late 1950s - early 1960s

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:40 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
There's probably more than just one for each position, but here are some...

Centers: Mid 80's - Early 90's (Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Messier, Hawerchuk, Savard, Francis, early Sakic)

Left Wings: Late 50's - 60's (Hull, Mahovlich, Moore, Bucyk)

Right Wings: 50's (Howe, Richard, Geoffrion, Bathgate)

Defensemen: Mid 80's - Mid 90's (Bourque, Chelios, Coffey, MacInnis, Howe, Leetch, Murphy, and just because I know someone is bound to bring him up...Housley)

Goaltending: 90's - Early 00's (Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Belfour, Joseph, some of Barrasso)

Goaltending: Mid 50's - Early 60's (Plante, Hall, Sawchuk, Worsley, Bower)
totally agree with the centers one. i know you didn't mean your list to be exhaustive, but i'd add oates, gilmour, lafontaine, and federko. in terms of defining the era precisely, maybe we could say between when mario entered the league ('85) and the year oates, lafontaine, and gilmour peaked ('93), right before fedorov won the hart (the non-gretzky, mario, or messier player to be first team at center since 1980).

wings definitely.

defensemen, you could also make an argument for the 70s: orr, potvin, park, savard, robinson, lapointe, and salming is pretty amazing. it's also hard to define the true golden age of the bourque generation, being that he, stevens, macinnis, etc. all played so long. but could we say between when leetch enters the league ('89) and when blake wins his first norris ('98)? the sestet of bourque, chelios, macinnis, stevens, coffey, and leetch owned those years.

with goalies, hard to find a tie-breaker between the 50s and 90s, but i kind of want to go with the 50s just because if the 90s were the golden age of centers, defensemen, and goalies, then that makes it the golden age of hockey. that was the era i grew up watching, but i'm hesitant to anoint it the golden age.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
defensemen, you could also make an argument for the 70s: orr, potvin, park, savard, robinson, lapointe, and salming is pretty amazing.
Potvin, Robinson, and Salming have virtually no prime overlap with Orr, so I don't think you can really consider them the same era. Take Orr off that list and it's still very good, but I think a clear second to the other Dman era mentioned (mid 80's - mid 90's), which could also add in Fetisov.

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:53 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post

with goalies, hard to find a tie-breaker between the 50s and 90s, but i kind of want to go with the 50s just because if the 90s were the golden age of centers, defensemen, and goalies, then that makes it the golden age of hockey. that was the era i grew up watching, but i'm hesitant to anoint it the golden age.
I think the tiebreaker is that Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek all had overlapping prime years, while Terry Sawchuk's prime barely overlapped with those of Plante and Hall if it did at all.

I also think the "era of goalies" comes just a bit later than the era of centers and defensemen.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:22 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think the tiebreaker is that Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek all had overlapping prime years, while Terry Sawchuk's prime barely overlapped with those of Plante and Hall if it did at all.

I also think the "era of goalies" comes just a bit later than the era of centers and defensemen.
i'll accept that. should be noted, however, that peak roy was before hasek was even a starter. not that post-peak roy was exactly chopped liver, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Potvin, Robinson, and Salming have virtually no prime overlap with Orr, so I don't think you can really consider them the same era. Take Orr off that list and it's still very good, but I think a clear second to the other Dman era mentioned (mid 80's - mid 90's), which could also add in Fetisov.
i'll concede this one too. especially when you throw fetisov in the mix, who i'd completely spaced on.

still seems weird. like everyone else, my first reaction would be to go with roy/hasek/brodeur/belfour for goalies, bourque/chelios/coffey/the gang for d-men, and gretzky/lemieux/etc. for centers. but a part of me wonders whether that's just *my* golden era because those were the heroes of my childhood. but maybe that era (or two eras) really was that deep. would explain how so many of those guys kept racking up first team all-stars well into the next generation (say, bourque still a first teamer in the lidstrom age, roy battling theodore for the vezina).

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:10 AM
RedWingsForPresident

Forwards I'd say 80's to early 90's... Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Bossy etc

DMen I'd say 90's... Lidstrom, Bourque, Niedermayer, Stevens etc

Goalies are all over the place with Original Six, 90's and even some now. Too many greats in every era for me to pick a golden one

RedWingsForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote