HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 5 Draft list for the flames

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-22-2012, 09:54 PM
  #26
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
I would take Barkov for sure.

You're talking about a 17 year old kid that's 6'2", 205lbs with the potential of still growing bigger, putting up PPG, playing 20 minutes a night including top PP AND PK minutes against NHL players and grown men in the SM-liiga putting up more points than the likes of Erik Karlsson and Valtteri Filppula. Not to mention his already polished defensive game and solid yet effective power style kind of play that will translate over to the smaller rinks in NA even better.

by the season's end he will be challenging Mackinnon and Jones for the #1 pick. If it were up to me I would take Barkov because he can step into a NHL role and be effective
The only reason I didn't have him number two is the fact I haven't been able to see him but everything I have read about him as been great.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 10:13 PM
  #27
ALI
Registered User
 
ALI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
if flames pick first then it should BPA Nathan Mckinnon

if they pick 2-5 then it HAS to be SEAN MONAHAN

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 12:12 AM
  #28
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Driving a Bandwagon
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,349
vCash: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
How? We would have all three balls for the lottery.
Because Phoenix will get to draft first.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:14 AM
  #29
Money Baer
Unsustainable
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Westeros
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,738
vCash: 50
My Top 5:

1. Nathan MacKinnon - Simply the best player available in the draft. Explosive, offensively gifted, super speed, and potential franchise player.

2. Sean Monahan - This is a player I would love to build the Flames around... Reminds me of a mix between E.Staal/Toews. He's serious, grounded, and probably the most well rounded player in this draft.

3. Alekander Barkov - 6'3 - 200lbs and growing?!! Already dominating a mens professional league at 17! Reminds me so much of Anze Koptiar. This would answer the Flames #1 C issues... We also have a great track record with Fins!

4. Seth Jones - Huge #1 D! How could we not be satisfied with such an athletic/talented/well rounded D man? Pillar of strength to build from the back.

5. Elias Lindholm - This would also be an answer to our #1 C problems. I could see Baertschi and Lindholm being such a dynamic 1st line. I have a feeling he will be one of the best playmakers in the NHL very soon.

______________

Honourable Mention:

6. Jonathan Drouin - C / Wing - Most skilled player in the draft IMO. Hockey sense is off the charts.

7. Hunter Shinkaruk C / Wing - Great character, offensively gifted. I see a 30+G, 30+A 1st line player.

8. Adam Erne - RW - Best RW available IMO. This is an area we are very thin on. Couldn't be upset with this guy if landed.

______________

Can't stop:

9. Ryan Pulock
10. Darnell Nurse
11. Anthony Duclair
12. Rasmus Ristolainen

OK I'll stop now.. Sorry for not following the rules... I got excited.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:54 AM
  #30
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
I would take Barkov for sure.

You're talking about a 17 year old kid that's 6'2", 205lbs with the potential of still growing bigger, putting up PPG, playing 20 minutes a night including top PP AND PK minutes against NHL players and grown men in the SM-liiga putting up more points than the likes of Erik Karlsson and Valtteri Filppula. Not to mention his already polished defensive game and solid yet effective power style kind of play that will translate over to the smaller rinks in NA even better.

by the season's end he will be challenging Mackinnon and Jones for the #1 pick. If it were up to me I would take Barkov because he can step into a NHL role and be effective
I believe you are right, Mackinnon has being turning heads in Canada for a while but the buzz in NA over Barkov will only grow as we approach the draft. I feel like he might go first.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:17 AM
  #31
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,775
vCash: 500
Here is my list in order:

Alexander Barkov
Jonathon Drouin
Nathan Mackinnon
Seth Jones
Sean Monahan


Once I have the time, I'll explain why I picked those players to be in my draft list.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:45 PM
  #32
Flameshomer
Registered User
 
Flameshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
My Top 5:

1. Nathan MacKinnon - Simply the best player available in the draft. Explosive, offensively gifted, super speed, and potential franchise player.

2. Sean Monahan - This is a player I would love to build the Flames around... Reminds me of a mix between E.Staal/Toews. He's serious, grounded, and probably the most well rounded player in this draft.

3. Alekander Barkov - 6'3 - 200lbs and growing?!! Already dominating a mens professional league at 17! Reminds me so much of Anze Koptiar. This would answer the Flames #1 C issues... We also have a great track record with Fins!

4. Seth Jones - Huge #1 D! How could we not be satisfied with such an athletic/talented/well rounded D man? Pillar of strength to build from the back.

5. Elias Lindholm - This would also be an answer to our #1 C problems. I could see Baertschi and Lindholm being such a dynamic 1st line. I have a feeling he will be one of the best playmakers in the NHL very soon.

______________

Honourable Mention:

6. Jonathan Drouin - C / Wing - Most skilled player in the draft IMO. Hockey sense is off the charts.

7. Hunter Shinkaruk C / Wing - Great character, offensively gifted. I see a 30+G, 30+A 1st line player.

8. Adam Erne - RW - Best RW available IMO. This is an area we are very thin on. Couldn't be upset with this guy if landed.

______________

Can't stop:

9. Ryan Pulock
10. Darnell Nurse
11. Anthony Duclair
12. Rasmus Ristolainen

OK I'll stop now.. Sorry for not following the rules... I got excited.
I'm glad this thread caught on, with no hockey ive been sorely missing reading all of your guys' post, since i don't that often post myself. I'm so excited for even the remote possibility that we get a good pick (as far as rigged lottery goes, it would be unwise to not at least give the flames something to rekindle the battle of alberta) And I salivate thinking of having one of those guys. I do have a particular hard on for Barkov though.

Flameshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 02:49 PM
  #33
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
If we assume we get a top 10 pick and a team looking to compete now got a top 10 pick is there anything we could package (outside of our first) to get there pick as well? It would be amazing to grab one of the big centers and try for a winger like Erne or Shinkaruk.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:54 PM
  #34
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
If we assume we get a top 10 pick and a team looking to compete now got a top 10 pick is there anything we could package (outside of our first) to get there pick as well? It would be amazing to grab one of the big centers and try for a winger like Erne or Shinkaruk.
Not really. If we resign Iginla and Kipper, it would be extremely rude to trade them right away. (we don't have Holmgren as our GM ) We could try to trade Boumeester+, which I think could get us a big center. But is it worth it to lose a minute eating defenseman that is defensively sound?

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 04:17 PM
  #35
Dioned
Registered User
 
Dioned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
I would take Barkov, he seems to be the most NHL ready, whether he plays in the NHL or not. If he's gone, I would take Monahan. Kids a beast too, I also see a lot of leadership coming from him. Reminds me of Landeskog in that sense, I can picture him as a captain in the long run.

Dioned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:38 PM
  #36
insaini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Here's my list:
1. Nathan MacKinnon
2. Alex Barkov
3. Elias Lindholm
4. Sean Monahan
5. Jonathan Drouin

Outside the top 5 if still available:
6. Seth Jones (Highly Unlikely)
7. Curtis Lazar
8. Hunter Shinkaruk
9. Ryan Pulock
10. Rasmus Ristolainen

Not high on Defence-man being selected top 5, they're the hit or miss type.

insaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:57 PM
  #37
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild
 
FLAMES666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 1800
Mackinnon
Jones
Barkov
Monohan
Shinkaruk

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 08:56 PM
  #38
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,186
vCash: 50
From what I've seen and heard of Barkov I'm a huge supporter of him. I kind of feel like I'd prefer him over anyone else.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:34 AM
  #39
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Not really. If we resign Iginla and Kipper, it would be extremely rude to trade them right away. (we don't have Holmgren as our GM ) We could try to trade Boumeester+, which I think could get us a big center. But is it worth it to lose a minute eating defenseman that is defensively sound?
To be honest I would do it for the chance to get our own big 3 (including Sven) it would set us up for years.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:33 PM
  #40
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
To be honest I would do it for the chance to get our own big 3 (including Sven) it would set us up for years.
I wouldn't. I mean, Iginla has been so loyal to the Flames, why trade him unfairly? Either trade him fairly, or don't trade him at all.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:45 PM
  #41
nogger
Missed the Net AINEC
 
nogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,785
vCash: 50
I'd love to have Barkov as the next guy, but tbh Monohan is higher on my list.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:47 PM
  #42
Sean Monahan
#boring
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,907
vCash: 50
Monahan is a Toews clone

Barkov is a Datsyuk clone

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:51 PM
  #43
ALI
Registered User
 
ALI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Monahan is a Toews clone

Barkov is a Datsyuk clone
Barkov is not like Datsyuk IMO

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:14 PM
  #44
Money Baer
Unsustainable
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Westeros
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,738
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
Barkov is not like Datsyuk IMO
How often do you actually watch him? I've caught 10-12 games of his, and he has a very similar style to Dats. They have completely different frames, but play the same style.

I wouldn't say they are clones.... I would say they have similar playing styles.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:29 PM
  #45
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,331
vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
How often do you actually watch him? I've caught 10-12 games of his, and he has a very similar style to Dats. They have completely different frames, but play the same style.

I wouldn't say they are clones.... I would say they have similar playing styles.
They are both flashy. The similarities end there.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:26 PM
  #46
Sean Monahan
#boring
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,907
vCash: 50
his defense? the way he protects the puck? the way he sees the ice and knows where his teammates are?

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:25 PM
  #47
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
I wouldn't. I mean, Iginla has been so loyal to the Flames, why trade him unfairly? Either trade him fairly, or don't trade him at all.
Sorry I meant trading Jbo not Iggy.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:16 AM
  #48
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
How often do you actually watch him? I've caught 10-12 games of his, and he has a very similar style to Dats. They have completely different frames, but play the same style.

I wouldn't say they are clones.... I would say they have similar playing styles.
I thought people referenced him mostly as playing like Malkin?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:14 AM
  #49
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,331
vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I thought people referenced him mostly as playing like Malkin?
Malkin would be a pretty close comparison, Barkov has a little more grit. Probably a little less skill.

Not to say he isn't awesome.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 05:20 PM
  #50
Perro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Gut feeling. We may very well pick 30th.
I know you were only sort of being serious but New Jersey doesn't have a first rounder so the worse 1st rounder would be 29th.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.