HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 draft: Because what else are we going to talk about?

Old
11-17-2012, 01:27 AM
RJQuack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
Or maybe he stays around 7-15, so we have a good chance at drafting him, and shows his true potential AFTER we draft him?
Sure, as long as he's in a Ducks uniform next June

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:24 AM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
Boy I really want the Ducks to draft a talented center next year with a top 10 pick, but there are few players I'd take over Jonathan Drouin based on the way he's playing right now. 40 points in 19 games. One guy I would take and I think deserves some mention in first overall discussion is Alex Barkov. The kid is one point above a PPG in the SM-Liga. That's very impressive. If the lockout blessed us with a top 5 pick I wouldn't be so mad about the lost season. That would just mean no losses for the ducks this year and we get one of Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin, Monahan, Lindholm, Shinkaruk.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 05:35 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Boy I really want the Ducks to draft a talented center next year with a top 10 pick, but there are few players I'd take over Jonathan Drouin based on the way he's playing right now. 40 points in 19 games. One guy I would take and I think deserves some mention in first overall discussion is Alex Barkov. The kid is one point above a PPG in the SM-Liga. That's very impressive. If the lockout blessed us with a top 5 pick I wouldn't be so mad about the lost season. That would just mean no losses for the ducks this year and we get one of Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin, Monahan, Lindholm, Shinkaruk.
Interesting that drafting a center wouldn't just fill the need with center prospects but the draftable centers are probably the BPAs, atleast in top 10. If centers aren't available, I definitely wouldn't mind Seth Jones. Even though Ducks have a lot of great defenders in their system, they tend to be offensive type and they could really use someone who can defend the goal. Fowler, Sbisa, Lindholm, Vatanen, Jones wouldn't be a bad blue line, with Beauchemin for few years, + Clark and Welinski in the system. Just imagine:

Fowler-Jones
Sbisa-Lindholm
Vatanen-Clark

Me likey!

JabbaJabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Interesting that drafting a center wouldn't just fill the need with center prospects but the draftable centers are probably the BPAs, atleast in top 10. If centers aren't available, I definitely wouldn't mind Seth Jones. Even though Ducks have a lot of great defenders in their system, they tend to be offensive type and they could really use someone who can defend the goal. Fowler, Sbisa, Lindholm, Vatanen, Jones wouldn't be a bad blue line, with Beauchemin for few years, + Clark and Welinski in the system. Just imagine:

Fowler-Jones
Sbisa-Lindholm
Vatanen-Clark

Me likey!
Oh damn, it would be.
Beuch is 32 and those other 5 would have average age of something like under 20 with average NHL experience of 40 NHL games, where it would be Fowler + Sbisa experience divided by 5

Those 5 would be great to have in the future, but for next 3-4 years at the least, we would once again face 40+ shots in the game each night

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Exit Dose

We don't have a need for center prospects. That isn't to say that we should avoid drafting a center, but we have plenty of talent at that position in our pool.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:01 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

Well I don't necessarily believe its a necessity. But this Holland vs Bonino debate just has me thinking...if we had a guy like Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, Lazar we wouldn't have two maybes as our second line center option we'd have a future 1c slotted in behind Getzlaf.

Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Barkov-Etem?

That would not suck at all. Also if we got Barkov maybe Teemu would stick around for one more year to mentor him and Vatanen.

I need to get out of the habit of looking at the top guys. Odds are with two lotto balls we can expect anywhere from 1st to 15th but we can really end up finishing anywhere assuming the lockout lasts a year (man just thinking about that...how do we even return to hockey next fall?)

Old
11-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Exit Dose

Being a top ten pick doesn't mean that you are any closer to being a sure thing than players like Holland or Bonino are. People need to stop taking what happens in juniors to mean that.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:21 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Being a top ten pick doesn't mean that you are any closer to being a sure thing than players like Holland or Bonino are. People need to stop taking what happens in juniors to mean that.
I guess that's true. But looking at Barkov...I have my doubts that Holland can step into the SM-Liga and be above a point per game. Bonino as well (still haven't bought into this sudden Bonino can be a great 2c hype yet)

Plus it doesn't hurt Barkov is 6'5 and one of his great qualities is that he can use his size to shield the puck from defenders as well as using his size effectively in the defensize zone. I honestly haven't watched him all that much, but what I saw has impressed me a lot so far.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Paul4587

Wherever we pick in the first round, we will be drafting the BPA. Drafting based on need is stupid as by the time the player is ready our needs will have completely changed.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Wherever we pick in the first round, we will be drafting the BPA. Drafting based on need is stupid as by the time the player is ready our needs will have completely changed.
Exactly. The sort of teams that go to the draft looking to add someone to their opening night roster months later are not the sort of teams anyone should be looking to emulate. If it turns out to be the case that they're ready, that's great, but it's not what anyone should be anticipating.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:04 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

The way the Ducks are playing we might well be looking at a 15th-25th overall pick. It's a good feeling but a bit of a bummer for a draft addict like me who spent a lot of time watching the top players during the lockout.

If we're picking in that range I'm gonna have my fingers crossed on guys like Domi, Wennberg, Erne, Mantha, Hartman, Nurse, or Lazar.

Looking like our second round pick might not be so high after all, either. Damn Islanders.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Paul4587

Still way too early to say where either pick will be. It's been 7 games. Plenty will change between now and the end of April.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Getz2perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
The way the Ducks are playing we might well be looking at a 15th-25th overall pick. It's a good feeling but a bit of a bummer for a draft addict like me who spent a lot of time watching the top players during the lockout.

If we're picking in that range I'm gonna have my fingers crossed on guys like Domi, Wennberg, Erne, Mantha, Hartman, Nurse, or Lazar.

Looking like our second round pick might not be so high after all, either. Damn Islanders.
You seen much on domi? i feel hes super overated in what ive seen, i think id pass on him.

Getz2perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:25 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz2perry View Post
You seen much on domi? i feel hes super overated in what ive seen, i think id pass on him.
I've seen enough to know that he's a viable future 2c with good defensive abilities.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:56 AM
Markus078

With the deadline gone it's time to talk to this again

anyway, with the expected lower pics my votes go to:

1st rounder likely 25-30 overall: Madison Bowey (WHL, Kelowa) or Robert Hägg (SWE, Modo) Both great D projects - Bowey shoots right and is very athletic and more of a project

2nd rounders: call me crazy but I'd use one of it on Myles Bell. I think he should get his second chance and I really adore his skillset + size. His transition to forward looked good so far. He is a total package!

The second one would be on Ian McCoshen or Jacob de la Rose!

Those are the players I really like in the lower positions. When it comes to round 3-7 I've no idea and insight.

Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:00 AM
getzlaffan04

It's a long shot but from what little I've actually seen from players who are draft eligible I like Max Domi. He's short but he's really good. If he was 6 feet or more I think he'd be top 5 to top 3 potential.

getzlaffan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:21 AM
airforceones25

Kerby Rychel. Big framed skill player. SoCal kid with NHL lineage. He could turn out to be a real steal for someone drafting late in the 1st.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:05 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

What I find funny, in first couple pages people were talking about having a top 5 pick.

Talk about blowing by expectations.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
What I find funny, in first couple pages people were talking about having a top 5 pick.

Talk about blowing by expectations.
The first couple of pages were during the lockout. Hence the thread title.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:16 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
The first couple of pages were during the lockout. Hence the thread title.
Oh I know, I just mean people didn't really think this team was going to account for much this year.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Oh I know, I just mean people didn't really think this team was going to account for much this year.
I haven't re-read all of those earlier posts, but I'd assume that anyone talking about getting a top 5 pick was assuming there would be a 30 team lottery after losing the season to the lockout.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:37 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
I haven't re-read all of those earlier posts, but I'd assume that anyone talking about getting a top 5 pick was assuming there would be a 30 team lottery after losing the season to the lockout.
Oh that makes sense, where it was the lottery I was thinking it was the bottom 10 lottery.

Not the lottery that got us Ryan, one spot from Crosby.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:03 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
Oh that makes sense, where it was the lottery I was thinking it was the bottom 10 lottery.

Not the lottery that got us Ryan, one spot from Crosby.
Warm Body-Crosby-Selanne
Warm Body-Getzlaf-Perry

Excuse me, I need to go change my pants.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:51 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingV View Post
Warm Body-Crosby-Selanne
Warm Body-Getzlaf-Perry

Excuse me, I need to go change my pants.
Something fun for you, 2006 we took mark mitera, 3 spots above Claude Giroux.

There could have been a slight possibility for.

Lupul - Getzlaf - Perry
Giroux - Crosby - Selanne

hahaha would have been great until they had to resign the players. Could have gotten boat loads of prospects and picks.

2007 - Took Macmillian
Could have had: PK Suban, Pacioretty, Simmonds

2008 - Traded down to take Erik Karlsson lower but Ottawa sniped him, then took Gardiner. Eberle went just after that. Could have had Fowler/Karlsson togethor if they didn't try to get a extra draft pick out of it

Drafting is 50% scounting and 50% luck it seems like

Last edited by douglast5: 04-05-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old
04-20-2013, 07:02 PM
SupermanPahlsson

What's everyone's opinion on what player the Ducks should target with our late 1st round pick? And do you think we'll be seeing the Ducks go position-heavy like last year (D) or will they take a more balanced approach this time around?

I'm thinking (obviously) a forward with the late 1st - really like Hartman, Compher, and Rychel.

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote