HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Autumn Thunder: Child's Play 16 - The Revenge of Chucky Batch

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 04:27 AM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

vCash: 500
If Batch stays after his performance against the Browns...then I'll be beyond shocked. I still think Lefty can stick around here. He got hurt the first drive after he scored and at some point broke his ribs in the game and still threw a better ball than Batch did. We win that game if Lefty doesn't get hurt.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
We don't need to draft a QB to back up Ben, there are capable back up QB's on the free agent market next year (at the moment anyways).

Some guys I want the Steelers to take a look at.

1. Bruce Gradkowski - Pittsburgh native, played pretty well with the Raiders, haven't seen much of him on the Bengals, he turns 30 in January.

2. Jason Campbell - Solid back up QB, probably the best 2nd string QB on the free agent market. He turns 31 next month, would be an upgrade over Leftwich and Batch.

3. Matt Moore - Another solid back up QB, was decent one year as a starter for Carolina, he played 13 games for Miami last season and was pretty decent in terms of passing the ball.

Now honestly, I think we keep Charlie Batch as #3 QB, I'm not looking to replace both him and Leftwich, unless Batch retires. But we do need a new #2 QB. I was (and I guess I still am) a fan of Byron Leftwich, but after watching him against the Ravens, can he help out the team at all?
Moore to me is the most appealing of the bunch in the FA pool. Of course, there will be a bunch of QBs released after the season. I could have interest in say Alex Smith (if the Niners make a clean break to Kaepernick) or Matt Flynn (if Seattle looks to save some of the big bucks it paid him).

Old
11-27-2012, 09:01 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Moore to me is the most appealing of the bunch in the FA pool. Of course, there will be a bunch of QBs released after the season. I could have interest in say Alex Smith (if the Niners make a clean break to Kaepernick) or Matt Flynn (if Seattle looks to save some of the big bucks it paid him).
No way they're going to release Smith. They can either keep him or trade him for picks. Smith will earn $7.5M in 2013 and $7.5M in 2014. Little pricey for a backup if we're going to get him.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
No way they're going to release Smith. They can either keep him or trade him for picks. Smith will earn $7.5M in 2013 and $7.5M in 2014. Little pricey for a backup if we're going to get him.
Indeed they could trade him for pick(s). In that instance, I'm not interested. Just spitballing some other names besides UFAs. Some additional guys are going to be out of work.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:49 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Clemons will become something in this league, guaranteed. Can't say I'm too happy about losing him.
I am glad I'm not the only one who sees this. Clemons would have been a legitimate draft pick if not bouncing around due to being part of that whole Michigan **** charade. He did fine in college, and he destroyed his pro day. I wanted him here.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:51 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Mendy has been demoted to the 3rd RB.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:02 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette
A more stunning changein #Steelers depth chart: At one WR, Tomlin lists Wallace OR Sanders. First time that's happened. Brown at other WR

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
11-27-2012, 12:11 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette
A more stunning changein #Steelers depth chart: At one WR, Tomlin lists Wallace OR Sanders. First time that's happened. Brown at other WR
It's about time. Sanders is much more consistent than Wallace.

I like what Tomlin is doing now. Some things need to change especially at RB.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:45 PM
JTG

Sanders is a more than capable guy. I actually think in terms of being a receiver, he's better than Wallace...he just doesn't have that extra gear.

Old
11-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Not surprised about the potential changes. I think the Steelers are wise to be moving in this direction anyway since both Mendy and Wallace are likely to leave in UFA and Sanders and Dwyer have shown they are more than capable of replacing them.

Wallace may actually do better in a reduced role where he comes in as the #3 WR and runs almost exclusively deep routes. Sanders and Brown are the more complete every down WR's imo.

Have to wonder how long they'll stick with Batch this week if he struggles. I'd imagine the leash is a bit shorter this week than last since Hoyer has now had a bit of time to learn the offense. Hopefully Ben plays and none of this matters but he sounds iffy at best from what I gathered.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Steelers WR David Gilreath got claimed by the Bucs.

Steelers probably wanted to sneak him back to the PS but that didn't happen and now they got some holes to fill now on their PS with Clemons and Gilreath gone and the guard they let go from their PS (Ryan Lee) got signed to the Saints PS.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:49 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Some Big Ten Awards:

Offensive POTY: Braxton Miller (Ohio State)
Defensive POTY: John Simon (Ohio State)

Old
11-27-2012, 08:58 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

PSU had a couple too I believe.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Sivek

If Batch starts this week, it's going to be the first Steeler game I passed on watching in forever.

Doesn't even matter if Hoyer only knows like 5 plays, Batch knows them all but can't execute any of them. He can't make any type of throw that requires the slightest bit of arm strength. No outs, no deep balls, nothing. He even missed on short throws to Heath where he just air-mailed the ball over his head by about 5 yards, throws behind Wallace on the quick slant leading to an int, couldn't lead the rb's any when he made a throw to one out of the backfield. He's just finished.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I agree about Batch. Although I thought his WR's let him down a bit against Cleveland. Burress really didn't run a very sharp route and the CB was too easily able to cut in front of him for an easy pick. The throw to Wallace that got picked was slightly behind but still very catchable. The other was a deep ball that was sort of like a punt so I didn't mind it. You could tell Batch just doesn't have the arm anymore though. He missed on a lot of throws that weren't picks but were incompletions that should have been easy completions.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:03 PM
PensFan68

I have no issue with Batch playing again. Hopefully last game got some rust off. He can't gun it down the field, and he's getting old, but for some odd reason I still have confidence in him. I wouldn't want him as a full time starter, but I still would rather see him than Leftwich.

As for going forward, I can't see how we can go with these two as our backups. I, also, don't believe that drafting a QB is needed, we'll be able to sign a FA. I've heard rumblings around since last draft it's time to start grooming a guy that can replace Ben, but I don't think that's needed for a couple more years. Yeah, Ben is getting older and he's taken a beating so he won't last as long as some other QB's have, but (barring major injury) I can see him going strong for at least another 4/5 years.

I'd like to see us let Leftwich go and keep Batch for the 3QB. I know he'll be yet another year older, but I'm sure he's great for the team. They've kept him around and he has experience, I think he can pass quite a bit along. He's also a local guy who is amazing for the community.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:30 PM
WickedWrister

It looks like the Hoosiers are for real as they blow out North Carolina tonight.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:33 PM
End of Line
Human After All

The only time I ever root for the Big Ten as a whole is when it comes to Basketball. I am thoroughly enjoyed that beat down. Ohio State just needs to kick Duke's ass tomorrow.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:39 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

I think Carolina just isn't as good as that ranking. (Overrating a perennial power to start the year, no way! :O) Got completely handled by Butler last week.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Sivek

Man, Steven Adams has been pretty damn disappointing so far. Don't think I'm going to believe the hype for any Pitt b-ball player ever again. He's not doing much against the Howard's and other schlubs in Pitt's non-conference schedule, don't think he'll fair much better against Big East competition.

inb4 he's adjusting to the college game

I've seen this same song & dance with Dante Taylor not that long ago.

Last edited by Sivek: 11-28-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old
11-28-2012, 12:49 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Some Big Ten Awards:

Offensive POTY: Braxton Miller (Ohio State)
Defensive POTY: John Simon (Ohio State)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
PSU had a couple too I believe.
here are the All Big Ten Team selections

Old
11-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Pens1566

Tavon Austin 1st team AA at KR/PR.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:16 PM
sniugneP

There is a good article about Steelers' position-by-position 2013 NFL draft.

Bleacher Report

I watched Stanford games a few times. I really like Shayne Skov in second round. I don't think we get Te'o, he will be gone by the time Steelers' first pick.

Dion Jordan is an interesting prospect. Can play OLB in 3-4. Very athletic but very raw. Classic boom or bust. He could be next Aldon Smith.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:17 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
The fact that Mauti got LB of the year over Shazier, along with Hyde over Roby for DB of the year is a joke.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

so Louisville to the ACC.

Quote:
The addition of Louisville to the Atlantic Coast Conference is one of those rare realignment moves that actually bolsters the quality of a league's football product. Think about that for a second.
earlier Tulane and East Carolina University joined the fast sinking Big East.

fun fact: Uconn is the only charter member left in the Big East (that plays football).

Last edited by Crafton: 11-28-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Closed Thread