HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ovi can't even light up the KHL, can we finally admit that he's past his prime?

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 07:59 AM
stanleycupcrazy

vCash: 500
The trouble with ovechkin is that he's a one dimensional player and his play has become too predictable. Defenses get wise to a certain style of play. A great goalscorer he may be, but with defences playing him a certain way it has become alot harder for him. He should try to contribute to the team in other ways by becoming more defensively responsible, or by becoming a balanced two-way player. This would increase his value to the team, and in hockey teamwork matters above all else.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Jocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post
No. The one year Backstrom may have a case for is last year. He had the better PPG, but he missed a tonne of games (half the season), and Ovechkin did end up top 5 in goals. So it's a close debate, even for that one year.
Yes, because PPG is everything!

One is a two-way center. The other is an offensive winger.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycupcrazy View Post
The trouble with ovechkin is that he's a one dimensional player and his play has become too predictable. Defenses get wise to a certain style of play. A great goalscorer he may be, but with defences playing him a certain way it has become alot harder for him. He should try to contribute to the team in other ways by becoming more defensively responsible, or by becoming a balanced two-way player. This would increase his value to the team, and in hockey teamwork matters above all else.
I don't think it took defenses five years to get wise to Ovechkin's game.

Ovechkin's style of play is best suited for a 22-23 year old. Although it might sound ridiculous to suggest someone at 27 is past their prime, that seems to be the case. Most goal scorers peak around 23-25.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:21 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
well over 54 games his stats would put him at 3rd in the league in scoring. OP why all the hate ?

Old
11-27-2012, 08:29 AM
stanleycupcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post

Ovechkin's style of play is best suited for a 22-23 year old. Although it might sound ridiculous to suggest someone at 27 is past their prime, that seems to be the case. Most goal scorers peak around 23-25.
I do agree there, his game was tailored for a 22-23 year old, so that is a good point. I wouldn't mind if he would now become a 2-way player, but he doesn't seem to be any better defensively now. Combine that with less production now and as you say, he is certainly past his prime.

Last edited by spiny norman: 11-27-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: corrected [/QUOTE]
Old
11-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
Since Backstrom is back. He's clearly feeding off Backstrom. Which is ironic because people used to say that Backstrom was feeding off of him.
You mean they're all feeding off of Leo Komarov?

Old
11-27-2012, 11:47 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Since Backstrom is back. He's clearly feeding off Backstrom. Which is ironic because people used to say that Backstrom was feeding off of him.
The hate is strong in this one.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:43 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

I think ovechkin needs a new team. I don't think the khl Is the choice. He needs a new NHL team I think the caps might be dragging him down but that's my opinion. I don't think he's past his prime I just think he's playing with less passion he just needs a fire lit under him

Old
11-27-2012, 02:49 PM
kp61c

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I think ovechkin needs a new team. I don't think the khl Is the choice. He needs a new NHL team I think the caps might be dragging him down but that's my opinion. I don't think he's past his prime I just think he's playing with less passion he just needs a fire lit under him
hes playing for his home team with his family on the stands, of course he needs a new challenge and new team in na. what a crap

Old
11-27-2012, 06:50 PM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp61c View Post
hes playing for his home team with his family on the stands, of course he needs a new challenge and new team in na. what a crap
You're quick to get defensive about the whole NHL vs KHL thing, but perhaps being comfortable at home is not what he needs. Perhaps he's become too comfortable in Washington as well.

A move to another team, be it in the KHL or NHL, just may be the spark needed to get him firing on all cylinders again. He hasn't been the same player for almost 2 years now, and it was a fairly sudden drop.

A change of scenery may help.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Riddum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
The hate is strong in this one.
Ovi, without Backstrom was barely a PPG player in an inferior league (playing on one of the best teams). Backstrom comes him, takes control of the offense and all of a sudden, Ovi's a 1.5 PPG player... Is it hate? Or facts?

Ovi used to be te one who controlled the offense. But he's just not the same.

Ovi single handedly destroying the Habs (Prime Ovi):

The vast majority of these plays are old. These days, the Habs absolutely neutralize him. Subban has his number.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Ovi, without Backstrom was barely a PPG player in an inferior league (playing on one of the best teams). Backstrom comes him, takes control of the offense and all of a sudden, Ovi's a 1.5 PPG player... Is it hate? Or facts?
A good player produces more when he gets to play with another good player? Damn! Everyone, stop the presses!

All the other Russian players mentioned in this thread actually have somebody else on their team to play with, but Ovechkin is somehow the only one that gets criticized for it.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Bourdon

To be perfectly fair, from the highlights that I've seen, it's been Backstrom that looks like he's the offensive catalyst. Backstrom is undoubtedly a high end offensive player, and obviously Ovechkin is going to benefit, and Backstrom from him respectively.

I wouldn't say that Ovechkin's days as a great player is done, but goal scorers typically peak at a fairly young age. I'd agree that he's past his prime, but he's still a deadly player. He should have a pretty good upcoming season (whenever that happens) if he sticks to his commitment to get in better shape, and Backstrom stays healthy.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:53 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon View Post
To be perfectly fair, from the highlights that I've seen, it's been Backstrom that looks like he's the offensive catalyst. Backstrom is undoubtedly a high end offensive player, and obviously Ovechkin is going to benefit, and Backstrom from him respectively.

I wouldn't say that Ovechkin's days as a great player is done, but goal scorers typically peak at a fairly young age. I'd agree that he's past his prime, but he's still a deadly player. He should have a pretty good upcoming season (whenever that happens) if he sticks to his commitment to get in better shape, and Backstrom stays healthy.
Backstrom's a Center. They typically control the play. Ovechkin is an absolute beast of a winger. Super skilled offensively. Wicked shot. Big, powerful, aggressive. Appreciate him as arguably the top winger in the world and stop worrying about if he's as good as Crosby or whatever nonsense concerns you.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post

Trevor Linden

Old
11-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Trevor Linden
I'm just wondering why you quoted his post if you're not agreeing with him or arguing against him.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:34 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Why? just so he can continue to be lazy but have decent point totals? I say start being a captain and take control of the team you're on. The caps are one of the best teams in the league and should challenge for the cup every year.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:37 AM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Why? just so he can continue to be lazy but have decent point totals? I say start being a captain and take control of the team you're on. The caps are one of the best teams in the league and should challenge for the cup every year.
We'll see if Oates can light a fire under his azz. Backstrom should flourish under Oates' tutelage.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:57 AM
daver

Let's face it, he's a "before Like a Virgin was a hit".

Old
11-28-2012, 04:31 AM
Capathetic

Being a captain in todays nhl is very over rated. There are plenty of mature players who play the right (canadian) way on every line of every nhl team. Besides what does Ovi not do? Because hes somewhat flashy or acts like a rockstar he doesnt deserve it? Last I checked to be a flashy/showboat type player comes with the game to back it up.

All this bad locker room talk is total speculation. Alot of teams have captains who are injured... Somehow those teams dont fall apart. Its obvious Ovechkin wants to win. What else more should he want? If anything his team mates could pick up some slack. Cough Laich.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Kshahdoo

First hatty for Ovi since I don't remember when. He's starting to come back.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
In his "prime", all of the three goals would've been unassisted

Old
12-01-2012, 12:21 PM
AD1066
#FireHolland

He's now 11th in scoring despite only playing 22 games.

Old
12-01-2012, 02:18 PM
MBauer

omg hes roaring back!

Old
12-01-2012, 02:24 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Part 2 of the hfboards hat trick

Closed Thread