HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Dirtiest players in the NHL? Biggest ********?

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2003, 05:46 PM
lux_interior

vCash: 500
I can understand where Leaf fans are coming from. They feel, I suppose, that they need to defend their team's style of play. Every team has some players who play dirty at least some of the time.

I guess where I draw the line is if the only way a player feels he can advance his career is by maliciously causing bodily injury to another player, that's too much. But some of the nasty stickwork, or getting an elbow up, even spearing doesn't bug me too much.

Old
12-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Stephen

Mike Peca.

He seemed to be really angry at the Tucker hit. It's great to see him respect other players by hitting Lundmark in the knee.

Old
12-04-2003, 06:21 PM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
I like Weight. He has one of those incidents, pretty much 1/year where he ends up suspended for stickwork.
Weight hadn't been suspended since he was a Ranger when he was suspended a couple weeks ago. Not quite once a year is it, Einstein?

Old
12-04-2003, 06:52 PM
c-carp

I am going to use a retired guy and go with Ulfie Samuelsson. As far as current players go. Kirk Maltby.

Old
12-04-2003, 06:54 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
And a Bryan Marchment and Derian Hatcher bashing thread...
le sigh.

I'll give this a shot.
Sean Hill is pretty damn cheap. Everytime I've seen him play, he'd swing his stick around like a scythe.
The same can be said of pronger, who never stops slashing people in his own zone.
Chelios is one cheap ******* too. He's always got the hook on somebody or is trying to break their legs with slashes.
Mike Danton/Jefferson is kinda cheap, as well as Avery. Both players would spear somebody if only for the sake of spearing them.
The difference between Danton and Avery is Danton will fight and fight well within his weight class. Just ask Steve Thomas. Avery's is a gutless puke.

Old
12-04-2003, 06:56 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
If you are talking about Bryan Allen, then that is interesting. 2 of the flukiest injuries ever.
Bryan Allen is actually tough, he would be out of place on the Wings, since Shanny apparently has given up fighting.

Old
12-04-2003, 06:58 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Marchment
Domi
Tucker

For the goalies it would be Belfour and Turco.
How is Tie Domi Gutless he is one of the toughest players ever period. and Bryan Marchment who definatly can be dirty at least has the stones to back it up.

Old
12-04-2003, 07:00 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine29028
I am suprised no one has said Barnaby....I hate that mother lover
Barnaby will stand up for himself he fought Domi twice the other night.

Old
12-04-2003, 07:04 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownMadman
I actually don't think that Foote is especially dirty (haven't watched him much this year). He IS an SOB to play against, but I don't think he's any dirtier than most. Pronger is the one who is continually trying to behead other players.

But my pick for dirtiest would probably still be for Marchment. Even over Johnson (I'd probably say Johnson would be the most gutless).
You can call Matt Johnson dirty and that is hard to argue in a way but calling him guttless borders on stupid. Anyone who has the job of enforcer in the NHL is far from Gutless.

Old
12-04-2003, 07:09 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
Bryan Marchment - No explanations necessary.
Keith Tkachuk - Dirty with his stick, in particular.
Matt Johnson - Sucker punch to Beukeboom ended his career, he also clocked Mattias Ohlund in the back of the head. Ohlund made a very accurate observation: "A stupid play by a terrible player."
Derian Hatcher - Always attacks undersized guys.
Gary Roberts - Not as much dirty as he is cheap, like Cooke and Ruutu. Hacks and slashes at people, talks ****, and never backs it up.
Scott Parker - His jumping of Ed Jovanovski still rings in my mind.

~Canucklehead~
Gary roberts has always backed it up he is one of 4 guys to have 50 goals and 200 PIMs and he will still fight even at his old age. That one makes no sence either. Scott Parker and Johnson also make no sence on one hand fans want enforcers to be the meanest SOB's on the ice and on the other we get pissed when they cross that fine line. The main part of their job is to be tough and you cannot do that half assed.

Old
12-04-2003, 07:12 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR-TOWN
I don't think he's cheap,after all, he's one of the most respected guys in the league. He's fought many times. He shouldn't be anymore because of the major shoulder surgery. He's practically done with fighting.
Gary Roberts just being inthis thread makes it almost laughable.

Old
12-05-2003, 01:31 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
uhmm, after your behaviour during the playoffs last year. I'll take your opinion with a grain of salt.
Are you drunk? What the hell are you talking about?

Old
12-05-2003, 01:35 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
How is Tie Domi Gutless he is one of the toughest players ever period. and Bryan Marchment who definatly can be dirty at least has the stones to back it up.
Domi punches guys when they are on the ice, Domis hit on Neidermayer, Domi punching and kneeing Burt while he was held down then skating away, Domis against the Sens in the playoffs.

Old
12-05-2003, 04:51 AM
paxtang

Quote:
Domi punches guys when they are on the ice, Domis hit on Neidermayer, Domi punching and kneeing Burt while he was held down then skating away, Domis against the Sens in the playoffs.
Most enforcers who do their job have blemishes on them. I mean, Dave Brown went out to KILL people at times, you have to play on the edge to be effective. Some times Domi has gone overboard, and it is inexcusable and he deserves to catch heat for being dirty. But he isn't gutless. And how comes nobody mentions him clocking Ulf in his list of classless stuff? Just cuz it was fun to watch doesn't make it ok (well...).

Old
12-05-2003, 05:19 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Some times Domi has gone overboard, and it is inexcusable and he deserves to catch heat for being dirty. But he isn't gutless.
Ok, but I'd hope people could admit beating on Adam freaking Burt when he's being held down, then running away from Luke Richardson (not exactly a top-notch fighter, although Luke was always ready to defend a teammate) was an incredibly gutless move. Any respect I had ever had for Tie Domi was lost the instant I saw that play. Adam Burt is NOT a fighter, and for him to run away from a legitimate challenge like that is ridiculous and indefensible. The elbow on Neidermeyer just makes things worse in regards to him.

Old
12-05-2003, 10:16 AM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Love
Ok, but I'd hope people could admit beating on Adam freaking Burt when he's being held down, then running away from Luke Richardson (not exactly a top-notch fighter, although Luke was always ready to defend a teammate) was an incredibly gutless move. Any respect I had ever had for Tie Domi was lost the instant I saw that play. Adam Burt is NOT a fighter, and for him to run away from a legitimate challenge like that is ridiculous and indefensible. The elbow on Neidermeyer just makes things worse in regards to him.
I'm a Flyers fan, and don't think I don't critisize Domi for that incident. He turned down 2 challanges from Berube and Mccarthy, sucker punches Burt, then runs from Richardson. The fact of the matter is though Domi has always been a warrior. He has blemishes and he deserves to be critisized, but I don't see how that can make someone think he isn't one of the best fighters of all time.

Old
12-05-2003, 10:41 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
1. Keith Tkachuk- Yaps and only backs it up with his stick
3. Owen Nolan- See Tkachuk.
Owen Nolan's fought at least 4 times this year, and I hardly ever see him use his tick.

And Marchment's a dissapointment of a player, really wish we had got someone else.

Old
12-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
I am going to use a retired guy and go with Ulfie Samuelsson. As far as current players go. Kirk Maltby.
Absolutely. In a past thread, I know a Wings fan or two were questioning why every one always says Maltby is a dirty player and the like. Last night was yet another example of why. Backman is standing in front of his crease, looking at Osgood who had just covered the puck, and Maltby comes in and drills Backman from behind and into the goal post. Pure intent and Backman had no knowledge it was coming either. Maltby is scum; there's no getting around it. If you ask me, Maltby is the standard bearer for all pests that won't fight; I'd say he carved out this new role within the NHL. And contrary to the Cherry/anti-Euro rants, Maltby is as North American as it gets. You could look in a dictionary for the definition of female genitalia and get Kirk's picture right next to it.

Old
12-05-2003, 12:07 PM
c-carp

Quote:
I am not saying tie doesnt do dirty stuff from time to time, but if you want to square off and go he can do that and do it well. Since you are using the playoffs as an example he fought Donald Brashear in the playoffs last year did he not. The reason for some of this cheap **** in the playoffs where most of your examples come from may be that there is hardly no fighting in the playoffs because of the rules. If there was still fighting in the playoffs there would be alot more accountability and a lot less dirty **** done by all players.

Old
12-05-2003, 12:09 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Most enforcers who do their job have blemishes on them. I mean, Dave Brown went out to KILL people at times, you have to play on the edge to be effective. Some times Domi has gone overboard, and it is inexcusable and he deserves to catch heat for being dirty. But he isn't gutless. And how comes nobody mentions him clocking Ulf in his list of classless stuff? Just cuz it was fun to watch doesn't make it ok (well...).
Well said bro, with that job you are definatly going to cross that fine line from time to time, but as you said Tie is far from gutless. That fact that someone said that almost kills the legitimacy of the thread.

Old
12-05-2003, 12:12 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
Absolutely. In a past thread, I know a Wings fan or two were questioning why every one always says Maltby is a dirty player and the like. Last night was yet another example of why. Backman is standing in front of his crease, looking at Osgood who had just covered the puck, and Maltby comes in and drills Backman from behind and into the goal post. Pure intent and Backman had no knowledge it was coming either. Maltby is scum; there's no getting around it. If you ask me, Maltby is the standard bearer for all pests that won't fight; I'd say he carved out this new role within the NHL. And contrary to the Cherry/anti-Euro rants, Maltby is as North American as it gets. You could look in a dictionary for the definition of female genitalia and get Kirk's picture right next to it.
He is also the master of yapping and acting like he wants to go once the linesmen are in the area code. The guy makes me sick. He would probably be the modern day standard bearer for gutless *******.

Old
12-05-2003, 12:37 PM
paxtang

Quote:
I am not saying tie doesnt do dirty stuff from time to time, but if you want to square off and go he can do that and do it well. Since you are using the playoffs as an example he fought Donald Brashear in the playoffs last year did he not. The reason for some of this cheap **** in the playoffs where most of your examples come from may be that there is hardly no fighting in the playoffs because of the rules. If there was still fighting in the playoffs there would be alot more accountability and a lot less dirty **** done by all players.
In fact, the incident when Domi suckered Burt was in the playoffs as well, along with him fighitng a fan in the Flyers penalty box. Flyers vs. Leafs playoff series are always fun.

Old
12-08-2003, 11:16 AM
beerpaul*

Cheap shot artists in the NHL?

I don't think it's right for people to come on here and list Leaf players, just to get under the skin of Leaf fans, for no other reason. My top 5 list of cheap shot artists would be: 1: Darcy Tucker
2: Tie Domi
3: Sean Avery
4: Bryan Marchment
5: Bryan McCabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine29028
subject says it all..

Old
12-09-2003, 10:59 AM
gnardini1998

Send a message via AIM to gnardini1998
I know that someone else said Lindros but I can't find that post. But, put me in for Lindros and his stick. He has calmed down some since he is so worried over his own health.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
And for the record, Kirk Maltby CANNOT be called a dirty player. He is officially an "agitator", meaning he gets others riled up and goads THEM into taking stupid penalties, without taking them himself. That makes him SMART, not "dirty".
If breaking the forearm of a skinny Russian by hacking him viciously after the whistle away from the puck isn't dirty, then I don't know what is.

So YES, Maltby sure as S can be called dirty.

Closed Thread