HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 10:52 AM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't really get why people are down on Schroeder he's currently 2nd after Sterling for points on the Wolves, tied for goals with Sterling and Kassian. Kassian was drafted a lot higher in the same year. Almost every game he's one of the Top 3 Wolves players.

Too much thinking about the now instead of projecting where these players can help out down the road. The much esteemed Red Wings haven't had a single draftee from 2008 and on make the team yet, at least we had Hodgson. It's a different approach develop the players and then slowly introduce them into the team.
About Schroeder:

The expectations were too high to begin with, myself included, I had this pipe dream that Hodgson and Schroeder would turn into out Kane and Toews. Unlikely I know, but that's probably why people are down on him...coupled with playing in an inept offensive team for 3 years of Pro, we haven't seen 'big time' production, that we'd like to see from a player we hope can take over in our top 6 in a few years.

About our drafting:

The approach sounds good, but this is a 'now' generation...we want results right away, its hard when you compare our depth of prospects and draft record around the league.

I like the approach, but the lack of true 'blue chippers' is why people are down on the approach IMO, not to mention the lockout has us all a little depressed I think.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:14 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
About Schroeder:

The expectations were too high to begin with, myself included, I had this pipe dream that Hodgson and Schroeder would turn into out Kane and Toews. Unlikely I know, but that's probably why people are down on him...coupled with playing in an inept offensive team for 3 years of Pro, we haven't seen 'big time' production, that we'd like to see from a player we hope can take over in our top 6 in a few years.

About our drafting:

The approach sounds good, but this is a 'now' generation...we want results right away, its hard when you compare our depth of prospects and draft record around the league.

I like the approach, but the lack of true 'blue chippers' is why people are down on the approach IMO, not to mention the lockout has us all a little depressed I think.

Outside of the 2008 draft where Hodgson didn't pan out as well as we had hoped, the Canucks have not really "missed out" on any bluechippers.

You can argue that Jensen and Gaunce are bluechippers, and Corrado developing into one.

That being said if Kassian pans out as a top 6 Powerforward than the 2008 draft and the subsequent Hodgson trade won't be the sore thumb of the Canucks going forward.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:35 AM
BerSTUzzi

This draft has to be the most exciting since 2005 (funny how the same situation with CBA is haunting this one). As of right now if we can get even a mid-first rounder from a Luongo trade these players would be available from 15 down (current ISS).

Pulock (oh please stay rated here, he is the D we've been waiting to draft)
Erne (nothing but solid reviews)
Kujawinski (solid offensive package)
Morrisey (another offensive dynamic Dman)
Gauthier (just 6'5 offensive forward)

William Carrier isn't even rated in the top 30 yet and he's running this line in the Q of 14 Goals and 21 Assists in 22 games.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:04 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy11 View Post
I live right outside Kamloops and I have watched the Blazers play a ton in the last two seasons. JC Lipon is a good player, but the chemistry of his line with Colin Smith and Tim Bozon is incredible and I believe make him look like a better player. Out of the three players JC Lipon is definitely the least noticeable out there, don't get me wrong he is another great player and also compliments the others well, but on HFboards when a guy puts up so many points he becomes a god. Colin Smith has some of the sickest hands I have seen and makes something happen on every play. Tim Bozon also has good hands although not as good as Smith. Lipon is smart and knows how to battle and be in the right place at all times for the puck. These three make up one of the best lines in all of the CHL based off how well they read each other. I wouldn't toss a high draft pick at Lipon, I would take a flyer but mainly for hometown bias.
Yeah, I was at the game last night in Victoria, Smith was much better than Lipon - as evidenced by the coaching staff pulling Lipon off the line for the 3rd period.

He wasn't very good, but again these type of games are really hard to gauge prospects....the chemistry thing was not a factor last night, the forwards could hardly string a pass together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
I hope Canucks takes a shot at J.C. Lipon come 2nd or 3rd round...

WHL!!!
WAY TO EARLY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
This draft has to be the most exciting since 2005 (funny how the same situation with CBA is haunting this one). As of right now if we can get even a mid-first rounder from a Luongo trade these players would be available from 15 down (current ISS).

William Carrier isn't even rated in the top 30 yet and he's running this line in the Q of 14 Goals and 21 Assists in 22 games.
I wish I had a chance to speak to Canucks scouting, last night at the superseries game I sat directly infront of Brian Chapman, Canucks Amatuer Scout for the 1st period. I didn't want to bother him while he was working, and he didn't return to his seats after the first period.

I wanted to ask him why he was even there, Canucks don't draft out of the WHL or draft Russians, I wanted to pose the question to him.

3 NHL gms were there too, all from the Northwest division - Tambellini, Feaster and Fletcher...my brother in law ribbed Feaster a bit about Brossoit looking weak between the pipes, Feaster's reply "....he looked pretty good last night.." LOL

I don't know why I quoted your post to write this, just wanted to post it.

But it would be unreal to add any of those players you listed to the prospect pool, especially the first 4.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:02 PM
BerSTUzzi

Lipon's game is very similar to Andrew Shaw. I wouldn't think Shaw would shine in a summit series as their game is so much about sandpaper and tenacity. I like Lipon but no way you draft him before the 4th, this is not the 2012 draft talent pool.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:16 PM
arsmaster

Central Scouting's Preliminary Rankings came out today -

North American Skaters List: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=84930

European Skaters List: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=84966

I don't like that they rank it by league now, I want to know how the professionals value players between leagues. Hopefully the mid-term and Final lists aren't done this way.

First thing that sticks out to me is Lazar falling hard in the Dub.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:34 AM
thefeebster

I think the prelims are generally like that in prior years and then they combine the leagues (one for NA and one for Euro) for the midterm and final rankings. I think they just have the prelims for whichever scout to use as a very brief and general guideline.

I'll take a falling Lazar
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post

May just be me but from the Frontenac games i did watch, i've generally been left wanting more from Kujawinski. I felt in every game i watched, Spencer Watson and Sam Bennett have stood out much more and carried the play for the forwards. Whereas Ryan was invisible at times and rather inconsistent with his effort. Didn't excel defensively as i thought he would or was physical as i thought. I would definitely take Dickinson and Domi before him as it stands right now, but there's still 3/4 of a season to go. Could easily prove me wrong!

----------

One guy who you might see rising up into the 2nd round category is John Hayden of the USNTDP U18, captained their team at the U18 tourney, committed to Yale, and just came back from injury. Has 7 points in 7 games since his return. He's got great pro size and frame. He already trains with NHLers. Here's a write up from Chris Peters:

Quote:
After missing much of the beginning of the season, Hayden is back in the lineup and an intriguing guy to watch. Hes 6-3, 221 and plays with the right amount of nastiness. He has a great battle level, which makes him real tough to play against. Hayden also has surprisingly good finish for a player his size. He drives to the net hard and knows how to score. He can greatly impact a game with his physical presence and having him back should help the U.S. a lot.
Adding in HF's article i read after posting this:
Quote:
15RW John Hayden, Yale (ECACH)
6-3, 221 lbs, b. February 14, 1995 [2013-eligible]
One of those players whose game I think is much better suited to the professional game than junior hockey. Very strong, physical, and intense and plays with a chip on his shoulder. Looks to play the body in all three zones and has the ability to line up big open ice hits. He was great on the penalty kill and tenacious on the forecheck. Backchecked fully. Mixed it up after the whistle. There were times where he carried the puck into the zone and instead of trying anything fancy, just bulldozed through the defensemen to the net for scoring chances. Has some good passing skills but his hands are lacking in finesse. Had trouble finishing and does not have a great shot. Difficult to get the puck from along the boards, fights off checks with determination and takes a lot of punishment without giving an inch. Was hard to deal with in front of the net, good at distracting the defense and goaltender. He brings a lot of intangibles and I think hell be a fairly safe pick for whoever does select him.

Last edited by thefeebster: 11-22-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old
11-22-2012, 11:44 AM
arsmaster

Redline reports new top 10: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ember/1719797/

Mackinnon 3rd, Drouin 2nd, and Jones 1st....

Draft is deep says Woodlief:

Quote:
With a whole passel of Quebec leaguers and Europeans of every nationality stepping up to fill out the 40 to 75 slots, we think teams would be wise to start stockpiling second- and third-round picks, because this is a draft that, if handled properly, could restock a franchise's cupboards quickly.
Top end is excellent:
Quote:
And at the top of what's shaping up as a very strong and deep draft class, at Red Line we legitimately have eight guys we'd like to somehow shoehorn into our top five.

Old
11-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Trade ALL the players for draft picks!

Old
11-27-2012, 09:10 AM
crazycanuck

Grant McCagg ‏@grantmccagg
Anthony Mantha on pace for 66 goals..he would become only the third 6-4+ draft eligible CHL prospect to score 60 goals. The others?

Lemieux and Lindros

Anthony Mantha was not in the top 30 of the last ISS, maybe someone that Gillis would be targetting?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=136790

Old
11-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Anthony Mantha on pace for 66 goals..he would become only the third 6-4+ draft eligible CHL prospect to score 60 goals. The others?

Lemieux and Lindros

Anthony Mantha was not in the top 30 of the last ISS, maybe someone that Gillis would be targetting?

He's in Top 15 on pretty much every list. ISS is just slow.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:

Lemieux and Lindros

Lemieux had 133 goals, though.

(Yeah, I know no one expects him to become Lemieux, but listing him with those greats is misleading)

Old
11-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Lemieux had 133 goals, though.

(Yeah, I know no one expects him to become Lemieux, but listing him with those greats is misleading)
Quoting stats from back then is also misleading. The Q now scores about 1-1.5G less per team per game. Not saying Lemieux wasn't a ton better, just that his stats are misleading when compared to today's stats.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:13 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
He's in Top 15 on pretty much every list. ISS is just slow.
Ah ok, still would be someone to keep an eye on. Specially with the way Gillis has drafted the last 2 drafts.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Ah ok, still would be someone to keep an eye on. Specially with the way Gillis has drafted the last 2 drafts.
I think William Carrier is someone that's more likely to be available where we're likely to pick. Obviously not as good as Mantha offensively but more polished overall. He's only 6'1" but built like a tank:

Old
11-27-2012, 10:31 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
I think William Carrier is someone that's more likely to be available where we're likely to pick. Obviously not as good as Mantha offensively but more polished overall. He's only 6'1" but built like a tank:

Looking at that picture reminds me of the Dan Dorazio quote about Dean Vallie
"He's got good girth he's got a good looking body, he's got a body, it's a real body. He's got no flab on him, he's a real good looking guy, he's what you want."

Old
11-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I'm kind of torn at what kind of player we should aim for. This draft has lots of offensive talent, and Mantha or Carrier would be hard to pass up on, but if a defenseman like Morissey or Nurse is available....I know we should always go BPA, but it must be really hard to compare defensemen to forwards.

I think we should go for a forward in the first round and hope to pick up a solid defenseman(Zadorov?) in the second round. Although I wouldn't mind taking JC Lipon in the second round either. Maybe the third round, but he'd probably be taken by then.

Ah...decisions decisions.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:52 AM
ginner classic

Quote:

Reminds me of this guy who was also supposed to be solid:

Ten points for the person who guesses

Old
11-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post

Looks like Rico Fata to me...

Old
11-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Looks like Rico Fata to me...
Beat me to it. 99% sure that's Fata.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Looking at that picture reminds me of the Dan Dorazio quote about Dean Vallie
"He's got good girth he's got a good looking body, he's got a body, it's a real body. He's got no flab on him, he's a real good looking guy, he's what you want."
The only thing creepier would be if Pierre Maguire had said that.

11-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post

Fata busted because all he had was his speed. One of the dumbest players out there. Not the case with Carrier, not to mention that he's bigger.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:22 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
The only thing creepier would be if Pierre Maguire had said that.
While standing right next to the guy.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Love to make fun of Pierre as much as anyone, but that was really Dutchyshen's fault and not Pierre's. Pierre had to stand in such a way as not to block the TradeCentre 08 sign on the screen behind him.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:42 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post

Big Stick....

Closed Thread