Monday Night Raw Discussion Thread #35

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 10:10 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias026 View Post
Im liking this alot more then Nexus story.

Every week its making me want to see what happens next week.
Same here. Ryback is getting beat but he does have some offence which is good to see. They are doing it slowly which is good too.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:12 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

Seth Rollins is a name that belongs in a mediocre stoner movie, still waiting to see what's so great about Ambrose, seems to me he just tries to look like the joker and that's his gimmick

Old
11-26-2012, 10:14 PM
M.C.G. 31
4/4 - CP31

vCash: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Seth Rollins is a name that belongs in a mediocre stoner movie, still waiting to see what's so great about Ambrose, seems to me he just tries to look like the joker and that's his gimmick

Ambrose HAS to have taken acting classes at one point.

11-26-2012, 10:18 PM
RussianRocket10

Survivor Series 3.0 minus the announce table.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:21 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post

Ambrose is awesome.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:22 PM
elias026

I can see them costing Rock the title at RR because they say it isnt right how he gets a title shot

Old
11-26-2012, 10:53 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Man..I really enjoyed Raw. I can't believe I'm saying that. Here is my quick take:

- Matches: Rey/DB, Cena/Ziggler (MOTN), and Cesaro/Sheamus were all very good solid wrestling matches for television. Cena/Ziggler stole the damn show as they REALLY went at a fast pace. I was even enjoying Sandow/Ryder for crying out loud. What a great night for wrestling. I just wish a tag match was thrown in there.

- Promos: Ziggler, Sandow, Ambrose, Punk, Ryback were all terrific tonight. The only really shaky person was Vicki, but I can deal with that. I was really impressed by Ryback's initial promo. Him saying "damn" is under PG rules and still sets the tone for what wrestling is about. I believed it. I felt it. It wasn't just about stupid "feed me more" crap.

Sandow also made me crack up and Ziggler getting mic time is a perk for all of us. But the night goes to Ambrose for his facial expressions and how into his character he is. He's reminds me of Heath Ledger's portrayal of The Joker. Just everything he does is so believable.

- PPV Build: I think this PPV and leading right into the road to Wrestlmania means a lot. I feel this PPV more than I have any other one.

- Overall: It's not perfect.... but it's a start. I really enjoyed tonight's show.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:58 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post

Ambrose HAS to have taken acting classes at one point.
I watched the first video until he started choking the girl and apparently holding some kind of fork to her head, he just seems to be ripping off the joker but regardless if this is his style i wonder how he will do in a PG environment

Old
11-26-2012, 10:59 PM
The Shockmaster
SHOCK THE WORLD

vCash: 932
Same here.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:15 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Wasn't all that great tonight. Matches were okay, but could've done without some segments.

Maybe it's because I was more into my WWE encyclopedia then RAW

Old
11-26-2012, 11:16 PM
kanuck87

I'm not crazy about the ending. It's the same ending as last week. I wanted to see something different.

I'm intrigued by the promo that The Shield did, but I'm disappointed that they interfered in another CM Punk segment when they specifically stated it wasn't about CM Punk. If it's not about CM Punk, get your hands dirty somewhere else.

If they are indeed going to be in a faction with CM Punk, it takes some of my interest away from those 3 because from that interview alone, it seemed like they'd be fine without CM Punk.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:30 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

I will admit I am interested in this group, to me Reigns seems like the "typical" WWE guy that they will attempt to push as the star, I want to see them in matches though, and I liked the idea of them costing rock the WWE title to

Old
11-26-2012, 11:43 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

I loved Ambrose throwing down the mic. He has the best mannerisms.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:48 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

BTW I predict that the Shield will continue to protect CM Punk despite saying they aren't. It makes sense, and it would be hilarious.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:38 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Meh... so is The Shield supposed to be a glorified lovechild of Nexus, RTC and The Truth Commission?

If it weren't for Ambrose, IWC wouldn't be fooling themselves into thinking this is "awesome"

Already 8 days in and it is redundant. Each time they do it, the times before mean less and less and less.

I know some of you will say "give it a chance, it has only been 8 days" yeah but they have literally done the same exact thing each of the 3 times they have been on TV and they are being booked by the same company that ****ed up Nexus and ****ed up Punk's hot streak last summer.

I was really surprised with Rollins portion of the pre-tape and really think he hit a home run. Ambrose was great, but that is to be expected because he has a tremendous promo. Reigns has a better look than I originally thought. If you combined Reign's look with Ambrose's promo and Black's work rate, you would have your next franchise guy to book the WWE around

I cannot wait to see the IWC explode when Ryback gets his heat back on The Shield.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 11-27-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old
11-27-2012, 03:11 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

I cant tell if you're being serious or not. First you say they're redundant, then you praise them for having a good interview/promo.

I agree with them being a bit redundant so far, although I got to admit I haven't exactly found myself bored of them destroying Ryback. Especially with CM Punk's reaction each time. I like the slow build up. Eventually they'll have in ring promos, and then a match and that's when it SHOULD be awesome. Can the WWE **** it up? Yes. They haven't yet though.

EDIT: Unrelated to above, Ryback seems to be getting better. Sure he's full of power moves only and such, but he wasn't terrible on the mic on RAW. Seems he's slowly getting comfortable with his character. I also feel like he can main event TLC without much problem. He doesn't have to do much "wrestling" ... The match can just be your standard hardcore/TLC match with lots of big spots. THAT'S something Ryback can excel at. Show vs Sheamus 3 and Kingston vs Barrett also have potential to be good. Overall it's shaping up to be a better PPV than the last 2.

Last edited by parabola: 11-27-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old
11-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
My review on Raw;

Ryback opening, match against Titus O'Neil.
Nice opening match, nothing fancy but nothing horrible either. I enjoy seeing opponents getting in some offense now and also loved seeing Darren Young trying to change the outcome of the match. I kind of laughed when O'Neil smashed into Young, sending Young off the apron, only because his pick-brush went flying.

The stuff after was pretty ordinary, although I was pleased to see that Ryback actually said a few sentences without incorporating "feed" talk (i.e., feast, hunger, etc...).

Khali vs. Del Rio, stuff with Del Rio and Rosa.
I'll admit, my mind drifted away from this match but I am interested in seeing where they go with Rosa and Del Rio. Could be an interesting pairing. I wonder what this does for Epico and Primo now, given they were squashed last week and now are in the midst of losing their valet. They really need to push tag teams like Primo and Epico, and the Usos.

Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns speak.
I loved, loved, LOVED this. I ate it up like a chubby baby chugs a bottle of milk. Every word that came out of Ambrose's mouth had me wanting more. Very accurate comparison to Heath Ledger's Joker, whoever made that statement. Also loved his "You're looking for the NWO, go buy the DVD," line. Shows you how at ease he is when he speaks. Rollins came off a bit weak when he talked, but hopefully it will come in time. Reigns played it cool, and I liked that. Gave some layers to the group, instead of having all three talk miles around Cole. Also loved the ending when Ambrose struggled to get the microphone off of him and went ape on it, throwing it to the ground. It's the little things like that, that will make me appreciate a character a whole lot more.

Tamina vs. Alicia Fox.
Typical squash match. Glad they are booking Tamina to appear really strong, as this will set up a great tilt between her and AJ. Hopefully for TLC. However, one thing I would change is the God awful ketchup and mustard outfit that Tamina wore. Brutal to the eyes and completely unflattering to her form.

AJ and Cena, Vickie and Dolph.
Don't care too much for these segements but they're not horrible. Dolph really came out looking like a million bucks when he spoke, which is always appreciated. I also like the idea that they are booking Ziggler in a story with Cena, to put him up there with the top of the line. It will really put value to the briefcase he's carrying around and will also add stock to his name, should he beat Cena at TLC (granted, that's if we are going down that road).

Kingston vs. Tensai, Barrett on comentary.
Typical build match for Kingston. I expected him to win and was not shocked when he did but loved seeing Barrett enter the ring with the championship after the match, only to hand it to Kingston and leave, with a smirk on his face. Showed me that he was hinting at the idea of, "here's your belt, better hold it as much as you can before I take it from you." I think Kingston and Barrett will surprise in a 15+ minute match, so I'm looking forward to it... even if I think Barrett is above the IC title at this point. Guy's a Smackdown main eventer and a Sheamus/Barrett program would be great for the near future.

Kane beats Bryan in Raw Active.
I'll get to this in the final part of my review.

Daniel Bryan vs. Mysterio.
Very disappointed that Bryan lost, although Mysterio was not going to lose a singles match on Raw. The thing I appreciated most was that it was a very back-and-forth match and neither of them looked weak at any point. Plus, it was a very fun match to watch, from start to end.

Del Rio and Rosa backstage.
Best part about this was Mrs. CS yelling, "WHY IS HE SAYING THE SAME THING IN TWO LANGUAGES!? Literally, he just said a line in Spanish and then said the same thing in English. The exact same thing."

Ziggler vs. Cena.
I think people need to relax with the whole Cena Wins LOL stuff. No way was Dolph going to win against Cena this quickly, even with the bad knee. What incentive does that give the viewer, should we get the same match at TLC? Ziggler losing was a good thing, as it builds a much better story towards a potential win at TLC. Like I said, if he won last night, this story is dead and Ziggler looks like a million bucks a few weeks before the PPV. Silly, in my opinion.

Sheamus vs. Cesaro.
HOLY CRAP! What a match. Loved every minute of it. Cesaro looks like a BEAST and they put on a solid match. I'd love to see these two go at it even more, which adds dynamic to the World Heavyweight Championship scene.

Sandow vs. Ryder.
Didn't really see the match, was pre-occupied with other matters.

Punk vs. Kane.
OK, first off, for those who were mad about Kane winning Raw Active when he shouldn't have, I was too but I understood what happened. When Ambrose, Rollins, and Reigns attacked him after the match, it was clear to me. They scripted this and even showed Bryan was trending on Twitter, to have Shield attack Kane for winning unfairly, because proof showed Bryan was ahead. It made perfect sense. Also love how they are getting the upper hand on Ryback every week, but still making Ryback look strong. Ryback doesn't come off as a poor weak little guy getting beat up and Shield looks like a million bucks. Win-win.

That's my quick write-up. Off to work now.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Pinkfloyd

I liked the show overall. I think Ryback is improving vocally and it will definitely solidify him as a performer the more comfortable he gets with the stick. I understand why Kane is in the main event with Punk and the finish but I don't get why they put it to the Raw active poll and fixed it. Just set the match and let it go. They looked pretty foolish trending Daniel Bryan worldwide just to show him getting killed in the 'poll'.

There were a lot of good matches tonight and they need to showcase them instead of the recap stuff and it seems like they're heading in that direction. I'm intrigued at a potential six man tag match with the Shield against Ryback and Team Hell No. However, I think that the tag champs have run their course as a team. I think them splitting off at the Rumble is the way to go right now.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:08 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Without quoting CS's full recap, I think he made a good point about Cesaro. I think Cesaro and Barrett are two guys who have had great chemistry and good matches with Sheamus. I wouldn't be mad at all seeing those 2 in an eventual feud with Sheamus. It would be very good.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:41 AM
The Man in White

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
I'm not crazy about the ending. It's the same ending as last week. I wanted to see something different.

I'm intrigued by the promo that The Shield did, but I'm disappointed that they interfered in another CM Punk segment when they specifically stated it wasn't about CM Punk. If it's not about CM Punk, get your hands dirty somewhere else.

If they are indeed going to be in a faction with CM Punk, it takes some of my interest away from those 3 because from that interview alone, it seemed like they'd be fine without CM Punk.
I think somewhere down the line they turn on Punk. But they'll make it into a slow burn.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:48 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Cesaro/Sheamus was my favourite match of the night.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:49 AM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in White View Post
I think somewhere down the line they turn on Punk. But they'll make it into a slow burn.
I hope so, because this angle has a lot of potential and it would be wasted by being aligned with Punk. Also, they kind of just look like a faction that blurs between face and heel, but more towards face.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:52 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
I cant tell if you're being serious or not. First you say they're redundant, then you praise them for having a good interview/promo.

I agree with them being a bit redundant so far, although I got to admit I haven't exactly found myself bored of them destroying Ryback. Especially with CM Punk's reaction each time. I like the slow build up. Eventually they'll have in ring promos, and then a match and that's when it SHOULD be awesome. Can the WWE **** it up? Yes. They haven't yet though.

EDIT: Unrelated to above, Ryback seems to be getting better. Sure he's full of power moves only and such, but he wasn't terrible on the mic on RAW. Seems he's slowly getting comfortable with his character. I also feel like he can main event TLC without much problem. He doesn't have to do much "wrestling" ... The match can just be your standard hardcore/TLC match with lots of big spots. THAT'S something Ryback can excel at. Show vs Sheamus 3 and Kingston vs Barrett also have potential to be good. Overall it's shaping up to be a better PPV than the last 2.
What I mean is that their actions are redundant.

They have been in a WWE ring 4 times in 8 days and all 4 times they have done the exact same thing. I would be fine if it being the same thing, but space it out over the span of 6 weeks (but that is too much to ask in the WWE's microwave way of booking).

Old
11-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

vCash: 1000
I guess overall, I liked the Shield's interview, but I think WWE could've gotten a little more out of a pre-recorded segment. The overall message was received but I feel like they should have gotten more buzz from the first ever interview with the group that is the center of current big angle in the company. It felt like something that could have been thrown in WWE.com. Maybe it's just me.

Also, I need to say something that's been bugging me a lot lately about Lawler. First, I need to state that I love Jerry Lawler in his career as a wrestler and commentator. That being said, I can't stand his face color commentator persona at times. I get that he's a fan favorite but I find too often that his face comments end up taking heat or momentum from the heel wrestlers. Case in point, during the Sandow/Ryder match last night, Cole kept on talking about Sandow's moves and style while Lawler kept on responding with comments on how stupid or silly it was. Like I said, I get that he's the face in the commentator booth on Raw, I just feel like he spends a little too much time criticizing the heels instead of building them up to be legitimate contenders. Even if he thought the names for Sandow's moves were silly, he should have at least talked about how effective they are since he beat Ryder with them. It's not heelish to say you are impressed by a heel and that's what I think Lawler's face persona lacks.

/rant

Old
11-27-2012, 10:40 AM
M.C.G. 31
4/4 - CP31

vCash: 233
The only reason I liked Ryback vs. Titus O'Neil is because of the comedy from the PTP. They're honestly great and I hope they get the tag team championships soon. But it's typical WWE. Someone has a FANTASTIC showing last week (Titus O'Neil on commentary) and he gets squashed a in few minutes the week later. You're not allowed to get over by yourself anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Ziggler vs. Cena.
I think people need to relax with the whole Cena Wins LOL stuff. No way was Dolph going to win against Cena this quickly, even with the bad knee. What incentive does that give the viewer, should we get the same match at TLC? Ziggler losing was a good thing, as it builds a much better story towards a potential win at TLC. Like I said, if he won last night, this story is dead and Ziggler looks like a million bucks a few weeks before the PPV. Silly, in my opinion.
I think it's very simple. You book Ziggler to win by taking advantage of John Cena's injury, and it builds up to fans wanting to see Cena get his comeuppance at TLC against Ziggler. Ziggler goes into the match with the momentum from the win over Cena on Raw, and the fans want to see Cena gets his revenge. You have the match at TLC, and AJ screws John Cena and Ziggler wins. Ziggler and AJ are revealed to have been going at it all along, and later in the night, Ziggler cashes in.

If I'm the casual fan, Cena defeats another guy and that's that. There's no further reason to watch. Cena won, cleanly, with a bad knee. Now they're going to try to sell us on a rematch at TLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
BTW I predict that the Shield will continue to protect CM Punk despite saying they aren't. It makes sense, and it would be hilarious.
I think it's going to be revealed that they're only protecting CM Punk for Paul Heyman. Eventually, I think it'll be THAT that fuels a Seth Rollins face turn and leads to a potential Ambrose vs. Rollins match at WrestleMania or Extreme Rules (after a WWE vs. NXT match).

Closed Thread