HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we tank for MacKinnon?

Old
11-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Lshap

vCash: 500
No reputable team "Tanks". Dial it down for the last few games after the results are foregone, maybe, but to go into a season with the goal of tanking? Never. It's fun to discuss the upside of drafting high if we suck, but sucking as a strategy is not only a terrible thing to instil in a team, it will never happen. It should never happen.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Fozz

I don't see MacKinnon as being the best player available in this draft and the difference between him and Barkov, Lindholm, Drouin and Monahan is quickly becoming nonexistent.

Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
No reputable team "Tanks". Dial it down for the last few games after the results are foregone, maybe, but to go into a season with the goal of tanking? Never. It's fun to discuss the upside of drafting high if we suck, but sucking as a strategy is not only a terrible thing to instil in a team, it will never happen. It should never happen.
It goes without saying that the habs won't try to tank. But they won't need to in order to get a high pick if this season gets under way. The habs don't have a very good team for this season.

I think fans are hoping there is a season so the team sucks (without trying to) and gets into the top 5 to draft some of that high end offensive talent!

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Even if that team performs well and makes the playoffs it'd still be a bubble team. They desperetly need a real dominating player upfront, the centerline is not solid enough to go deep in the playoffs. We don't have enough scoring depth, the d-squad is interesting but still too soft and small, i don't see them going past the first round, unless they face a bubble team.

Still the weaker 2010 team went to the third round.
I disagree.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:27 AM
PricePkPatch

I'm telling you, going into the next season with a loser attitude might cost the franchise a lot.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
It goes without saying that the habs won't try to tank. But they won't need to in order to get a high pick if this season gets under way. The habs don't have a very good team for this season.

I think fans are hoping there is a season so the team sucks (without trying to) and gets into the top 5 to draft some of that high end offensive talent!
Yeah, I get the attraction of that idea. I was on the tank-bandwagon as of this past February, when a Galchenyuk/Grigorenko/Yakupov draft choice for the future sounded better than a meaningless win in the present. We were a mess in transition. We weren't growing or improving so sucking paid off, but only as a consolation prize.

Skills and chemistry and confidence only improve if you use them. So our players have to use them if our team hopes to improve. Then it becomes a gamble of assets and a dance of timing -- is our current core strong enough to become a solid team? Do we have strong enough prospects to make us into true contenders? We'll only know if our roster plays their best. If the pieces are there we'll rise to a bubble team and continue to rise as our young guys improve, followed by the additions of Beaulieu, Tinordi, Colberg, Galchenyuk, etc. Our PP woes will disappear as a one-season anomaly. Stay the course, add a UFA or two, and we will be a contender.

If the pieces are NOT there the holes will continue to be holes -- things like low scoring, poor presence in our own end, a terrible PP. We've invested our future in guys like Eller, PK, Emelin, Price, etc. If they don't live up to potential and improve the team then we've lost our gamble. If our players can take us only as high as mediocre then we have to amputate and become sellers. Plan for a future two or three years down the road. Keep seven or eight key guys, trade the rest, free up cap space (assuming there is a cap!), aim for young UFAs, scoop some new draft picks and welcome our incoming picks. In that case, tanking doesn't become a strategy -- it simply becomes an inevitability.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I'm telling you, going into the next season with a loser attitude might cost the franchise a lot.
Didn't hurt the Pens when they tanked for Sid, Mario or Malkin.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Didn't hurt the Pens when they tanked for Sid, Mario or Malkin.
They might have tanked for Mario. Any team could have won the Crosby lottery. Malkin was the 2nd pick, after they lost that lottery. But I'm pretty sure being bad did hurt the Penguins... they almost lost their team, filed for bankruptcy, etc. But have built well since then. Not having superstar #1 draft picks didn't stop other teams from winning the Cup. You can get there in so many ways.

Anyway, who knows what the new CBA will bring. There might not even be a draft ever again. It would be pretty stupid to tank for a pick that no longer exists. In that world, winning is what will get you the top superstars.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Absolutely especially with half the season gone.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:52 AM
MD thaivuN
Micro Dangerous

vCash: 470
Should we tank for MacKinnon? No
Should we tank for a Top 7 pick? Hell Yes!!

MD thaivuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaivuN View Post
Should we tank for MacKinnon? No
Should we tank for a Top 7 pick? Hell Yes!!
Top 7 pick = us not making the playoffs anyways, so why not shoot for the top!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Watch Phoenix get the 1st overall pick next year. Just like the Pens got them on the verge of bankruptcy.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:40 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Watch Phoenix get the 1st overall pick next year. Just like the Pens got them on the verge of bankruptcy.
That, or Edmonton again...

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:57 PM
NewHabsEra*

Tank for Drouin..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
No, we're pretty much undefeated right now and once we trade a bunch of scrubs for Crosby and Huberdeau we'll be unstoppable...

Like every puck fired at the leafs net.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

No self respecting team tanks...ever. No one player is worth the potential harm to a franchise.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 04:12 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 1928
If Bergevin wanted to tank, he would have traded Plekanec and Gorges for picks at the draft. Can you imagine if we had Grigorenko and Forsberg on top of Galchenyuk ?!? (Washington and Anaheim fans agreed to those proposal threads back then)

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
If Bergevin wanted to tank, he would have traded Plekanec and Gorges for picks at the draft. Can you imagine if we had Grigorenko and Forsberg on top of Galchenyuk ?!? (Washington and Anaheim fans agreed to those proposal threads back then)
Or hire Therrien as a head coach

First of all we need to play in order to have a chance at tanking which I do not see happening this year.

Second if we where to play this year I would believe Molson would want to recup as much as possible by at least having a playoff run. Tanking will certainly not be on the radar.

Now if we where to finish last... I would go for Seth Jones before Mackinnon/Drouin/Mohahan.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:52 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Second if we where to play this year I would believe Molson would want to recup as much as possible by at least having a playoff run. Tanking will certainly not be on the radar.
Many teams in worse positions than the Habs might think that as well. With a shortened season the potential return for trading our vets could be very interesting.

I'd never advocate tanking a full season but the shorter it gets, the more I think we should at least consider trading some assets.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
So What Is so great about This Barkov and Lindholm guys over a MacKinnon , Im Not really up To speed ON these guys

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote