HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Old
11-26-2012, 04:59 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Because in the last 2 months Linus has discovered that he is indeed a good hockey player and may indeed have what it takes to play in the NHL.
pretty much this! But the asking price for him was to high, they didnt want to switch players either which had made a deal easier. Remember after his finish the rookie season the value was pretty high, gunnarsson (2 pair defenceman) against omark was reasonable then. The problem is that you need to make a good fit with his linemates(which they did in his other teams and the national team), that puzzle isnt he worth in our org, he is also useless in other aspects like fo,pk, you must make a really good difference to make it worth it. Some teams maybe have a natural fit for him without doing to much changes. Its pretty strange that in our own forum, he has the lowest value. i saw a calgary blog about a month ago, where they suggest taking a shot with him, the wings forum isnt aginst to give it a shot either.

I think and hopes that a 2 round pick will do it, thats why they gave him a q offer in first place, why bother to do that with lower picks.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I have my doubts that he's all that much different than when he came from the KHL.
Undersized and doesn't bring a lot of other intangibles. But has excellent offensive instinct and given the right linemates he could probably get 60 pts. in the NHL. My 2 cents anyhow. I just don't think he fits on the Oil anymore.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Because in the last 2 months Linus has discovered that he is indeed a good hockey player and may indeed have what it takes to play in the NHL.
I keep trying to detect sarcasm font in this.

How exactly would Linus detect he has NHL goods as a 26yr old playing in the swiss league.

What do they call the cup there? Or trophy thingy, or is there one?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
pretty much this! But the asking price for him was to high, they didnt want to switch players either which had made a deal easier. Remember after his finish the rookie season the value was pretty high, gunnarsson (2 pair defenceman) against omark was reasonable then. The problem is that you need to make a good fit with his linemates(which they did in his other teams and the national team), that puzzle isnt he worth in our org, he is also useless in other aspects like fo,pk, you must make a really good difference to make it worth it. Some teams maybe have a natural fit for him without doing to much changes. Its pretty strange that in our own forum, he has the lowest value. i saw a calgary blog about a month ago, where they suggest taking a shot with him, the wings forum isnt aginst to give it a shot either.

I think and hopes that a 2 round pick will do it, thats why they gave him a q offer in first place, why bother to do that with lower picks.
Calgary Flames would sign gumby if they thought he could bag a few pts. Maybe you missed the memo but they have an upcoming need for scoring talent. Much different situation than here.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I keep trying to detect sarcasm font in this.

How exactly would Linus detect he has NHL goods as a 26yr old playing in the swiss league.

What do they call the cup there? Or trophy thingy, or is there one?
You have to admit that his confidence might have been slightly low after the demotion to the AHL, the injury and then the realization that his NHL stock had dropped so dramatically. Given the right circumstances I think he could be a useful player to an NHL team.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
You have to admit that his confidence might have been slightly low after the demotion to the AHL, the injury and then the realization that his NHL stock had dropped so dramatically. Given the right circumstances I think he could be a useful player to an NHL team.
Maybe I underestimate the Swiss league. This seems like the kind of place one would want to go to give the appearance of good potential for production. Its not SEL, its not KHL. Its a much easier place to pad pts.

Most of these NHLers playing in Europe are biding their time, not trying to prove anything. Omark in a different boat and a likely castoff should probably be playing in a more competitive environment. Sure his linemate is sought after by Detroit but again thats one guy on the possible way up that has an in. Omark has exhausted his draft team chances already and is in next chance land. A place of indeterminate conclusion..

Old
11-27-2012, 09:46 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Undersized and doesn't bring a lot of other intangibles. But has excellent offensive instinct and given the right linemates he could probably get 60 pts. in the NHL. My 2 cents anyhow. I just don't think he fits on the Oil anymore.
Do you know what 60 points in the NHL is? That's in the top 60 of scorers and would make him a first line producer.

Trust me if he was that good they'd move Hemsky and keep Omark.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Tedi

Quote:
Do you know what 60 points in the NHL is? That's in the top 60 of scorers and would make him a first line producer.

Trust me if he was that good they'd move Hemsky and keep Omark.
Like I said it would depend on a lot of variables but it isn't that far fetched. Hemsky has more speed and can create offense off the rush. Omark can shoot and dish the puck but doesn't create a lot on his own.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:20 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Like I said it would depend on a lot of variables but it isn't that far fetched. Hemsky has more speed and can create offense off the rush. Omark can shoot and dish the puck but doesn't create a lot on his own.
What would those variable be, playing with the Sedins?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Theres absolutely no comparison between the quickness of Hemsky streaking into goal at full speed and the often stationary Omark. At the NHL level Omark plays a very stationary, peripheral set piece game.
A player like Hemsky attacks the box with confidence ten times more than Omark does. I'm not even a big fan of Hemsky saying any of this.

The thing is the lack of continuous movement in Omarks game, a tendency to hold too long to the puck, and his penchant for working the same plays makes him susceptible to scouting, adjustments, and cover and which has happened at the NHL level here. Omark was very ineffective last year in the show for a reason. Any of the teams that even bothered to watch the gamefilms had an easy answer to him. Which often involved going right at him and planting him on his butt. Or just keeping him on the outside and covering the couple lanes he likes to pass to.

Omark is a rote player. I see set pieces all the time with him, repeatedly. Its like playing chess with somebody that only knows one or two openings. Entirely predictable.

The suggestion that Omark would attain 60pts at this level is hard to fathom. That would require playing him on a top level first line and I'm not sure why anyteam would do that because he's not up to that standard.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:00 PM
nsoilfan

i can realy see detroit getting him for a song maybe a mid draft pick.

they already have a core of players that produce and could use a complementary player with skill.

he will score a big goal against us and we will all be pissed.

its too bad there isnt a position for him he is a good player. there are teams in the NHL that can use him.

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Theres absolutely no comparison between the quickness of Hemsky streaking into goal at full speed and the often stationary Omark. At the NHL level Omark plays a very stationary, peripheral set piece game.
A player like Hemsky attacks the box with confidence ten times more than Omark does. I'm not even a big fan of Hemsky saying any of this.

The thing is the lack of continuous movement in Omarks game, a tendency to hold too long to the puck, and his penchant for working the same plays makes him susceptible to scouting, adjustments, and cover and which has happened at the NHL level here. Omark was very ineffective last year in the show for a reason. Any of the teams that even bothered to watch the gamefilms had an easy answer to him. Which often involved going right at him and planting him on his butt. Or just keeping him on the outside and covering the couple lanes he likes to pass to.

Omark is a rote player. I see set pieces all the time with him, repeatedly. Its like playing chess with somebody that only knows one or two openings. Entirely predictable.

The suggestion that Omark would attain 60pts at this level is hard to fathom. That would require playing him on a top level first line and I'm not sure why anyteam would do that because he's not up to that standard.
Well, I am not really disagreeing with you guys. I too like the speed and vision of Hemsky compared to Omark. I said as much in previous posts. I also find that Omark's game one dimensional. But he does possess good offensive instincts and given the right circumstances he could put up points but I agree, who is willing to give him that chance. I also think Omark is a bit of a headcase and that he may not have the ability to work out of a slump and opportunities may be diminished because of that.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Tedi

Quote:
What would those variable be, playing with the Sedins?
It worked for Anson

Old
11-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Thorulf

The hockey resource Linus Omark have been not optimized by Edmonton Oilers.
This is not a debate on whos fault it was that Linus didn't succeed in the NHL and Edmonton (as i wrote earlier; i think there are many reasons). But one must ask oneself; What did Edmonton expect from Omark? How has he been scouted? And with what purpose did the manager aquire him to the team?

The thing with Omark is, and we who have seen him throughout his entiree career, is that he is a playmaker not a scorer. Stats show that very clearly. And if you actually look at him playing it's even more obvious.
In SEL, he was the prime playmaker behind Luleås success, and Johan Harju was the sniper (who has never been as good as when playing with Linus) who was producing most of the goals.

I do agree that a spot in the team should be earned (im a coach myself), but it's also about giving some type of players the enviroment, confidence and time that they need to get best results.

My opinion is that Linus Omark never really did get the "chance" in Oilers. His line-mates didn't have the right type of tool-box to play with Omark. That also includes the dull knife Magnus Pääjärvi, despite the moderate success when playing with him.

Minimum PP time, sub-par linemates is reasons that Omark didn't succeed as good as he could have. (No, im not saying Linus did everything perfect, in fact he did not. Didn't play his best game, when needed most).

If Linus don't fit the team - fine. But he has proven time and time again, that under the right conditions he can play good hockey. I do think that he can produce on NHL level, if someone finds the enviroment, confidence and time for him.

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
The hockey resource Linus Omark have been not optimized by Edmonton Oilers.
This is not a debate on whos fault it was that Linus didn't succeed in the NHL and Edmonton (as i wrote earlier; i think there are many reasons). But one must ask oneself; What did Edmonton expect from Omark? How has he been scouted? And with what purpose did the manager aquire him to the team?

The thing with Omark is, and we who have seen him throughout his entiree career, is that he is a playmaker not a scorer. Stats show that very clearly. And if you actually look at him playing it's even more obvious.
In SEL, he was the prime playmaker behind Luleås success, and Johan Harju was the sniper (who has never been as good as when playing with Linus) who was producing most of the goals.

I do agree that a spot in the team should be earned (im a coach myself), but it's also about giving some type of players the enviroment, confidence and time that they need to get best results.

My opinion is that Linus Omark never really did get the "chance" in Oilers. His line-mates didn't have the right type of tool-box to play with Omark. That also includes the dull knife Magnus Pääjärvi, despite the moderate success when playing with him.

Minimum PP time, sub-par linemates is reasons that Omark didn't succeed as good as he could have. (No, im not saying Linus did everything perfect, in fact he did not. Didn't play his best game, when needed most).

If Linus don't fit the team - fine. But he has proven time and time again, that under the right conditions he can play good hockey. I do think that he can produce on NHL level, if someone finds the enviroment, confidence and time for him.
I agree somewhat. IMO the Oilers didn't really like what Omark had to bring. The same can be said for PRV who subsequently went down as well. Both needed to refine their games, the difference being (or at least the perception) one handled the demotion with a better attitude. Coming off the injury I wish the Oilers could have stuck Linus back in the lineup but obviously the coaches had seen enough. The Oilers must think they can trade him or they would have let him walk.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:01 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

ive said it before...Linus could easily be a 50 plus point producer in the NHL if given top six and PP icetime consistently...CBJ would be a great fit

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:59 PM
McClelland

Quote:
Calgary Flames would sign gumby if they thought he could bag a few pts. Maybe you missed the memo but they have an upcoming need for scoring talent. Much different situation than here.
Maybee you missed the part where i said that we arent in need or have the space for him! I meant that the focus in here has been on his twitter/media quotes, less on what player he is/can be.If Gags has sniffed on 50, then omark should be there too playing in a 2 line or a 3 scoring line(without plugs) with a lot of pp. some teams maybe starve for creativity and offensive skills for a low price, or can afford to have a one dimensional player in their roster, and then he must put up at least 50 p to be worth it.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Jamin

People keep blaming the oilers.

Top 6 implies 6 spots.

He is not a center so will not beat out RNH or Gagner so we are down to 4 spots. Will not beat out Eberle or Hall so he is down to 2 spots. Hemsky has history with the team and is better then Omark so would be given a season to find his game (ended up extending him 2 years). Smyth traded himself to the team and had an insane first like 30 games so no way Omark beats him out, plus Smyth trading himself hear was a big PR win for the team and fans.

Ok lets pretend the team will run with 3 scoring lines. Well now we can Yakupov and Harti to the mix and suddenly its quite a crowded top 9

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:28 PM
McClelland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post

Top 6 implies 6 spots.

He is not a center so will not beat out RNH or Gagner so we are down to 4 spots. Will not beat out Eberle or Hall so he is down to 2 spots. Hemsky has history with the team and is better then Omark so would be given a season to find his game (ended up extending him 2 years). Smyth traded himself to the team and had an insane first like 30 games so no way Omark beats him out, plus Smyth trading himself hear was a big PR win for the team and fans.

Ok lets pretend the team will run with 3 scoring lines. Well now we can Yakupov and Harti to the mix and suddenly its quite a crowded top 9
I think your post is a misfit, like omark in oilers. that debate has barely life, can he do it in another enviroment in another team, and could he bring something back to us. If omark succed in another team, then its not oilers fault, the blame is on players who is a better fit for us and these who the org want to go forward with.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Thorulf

Omark was 0+2 in tonights 4-5 win over Davos.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
The Oilers can be blamed for icing a line up full of smurfs. Linus can be blamed for failing to outsmurf the other smurfs. Because Papa Smurf always says: The hardest working smurf will always get the most smurfberries.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post

Top 6 implies 6 spots.

Your post is all mixed up with respect to chronology.

If Omark was playing for the Oilers in a game tonight the fact that we have a healthy top 6 would be enough to keep him out of the lineup, but that doesn't have anything to do with whether or not the Oilers are to blame for how he was used here in the games that he played.

Omark isn't a pp point type player, sticking him there was just as stupid as putting Ryan Smyth on the point would be. There's basically one position that Smyth can play on the pp and if he's good enough there then that's that. Omark was playing well enough on the rw pp to earn some more mins there, he was just placed elsewhere.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:05 AM
Peter The Great

Omark playing well with Zetterberg and Brunner for sure helps, these guys are having fun together, that's for sure... combining for 102 points together so far with none of them having played more than 26 games. ;-) Zug officially already wants to give Omark a new contract for the next season.

Zug is not a bad team by european standards.

Stats for European Trophy so far:
http://www.europeantrophy.com/stats2012.php

Zetterberg will most probably talk to Detroit management about Omark or perhaps talking to Lidstrom about it. Lidström is still involved for the Red Wings as a scout.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Red Wings sign Omark.

Omark is the type of player who would be a perfect fit playing for a puck possession team like Detroit.

There is still doubts though. Omark could probably get a very good deal in Switzerland, probably better than in the NHL where he still have lots to prove.

The big question is if Omark have the willl and motivation to play among the best in the NHL or having fun with his skills in the Alps.

Last edited by 21: 11-30-2012 at 06:14 AM.
21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Thorulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
The big question is if Omark have the willl and motivation to play among the best in the NHL or having fun with his skills in the Alps.
Well, Linus has repeatedly stated that NHL is still his main goal, and he will try to get back there. Many factors need to be considered if he will get another shot in the NHL, but i don't think motivation is one of them...

Old
11-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Matte99

Linus scored 1 + 1 tonight against the swiss league leaders. Zug's 1st line (Omark, Zetterberg, Brunner) is proving unstoppable and are scoring like crazy...

27GP 11G 30A 41Pt +15

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote