HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eller to play in Europe (signs with Jyväskylä JYP)

Old
11-24-2012, 03:49 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnadien View Post
What's the story with the confrontation here in every single topic? Who cares if DD > Eller < DD?

We've got a fantastic pack of centers for years to come. Can finally afford to lose or trade some if needed, but don't finally need to grieve upon that part of the team.

To continue on the topic, fan reports say that Eller was THE dynamo of the game today. With Peverley and Perrin in the same line, that can't be a bad thing.
Welcome to the Habs board where everything has to be a comparison. I'm glad he's getting things going. He's on a top club and I want him to dominate. I would've liked to see him on bigger ice (Sweden, Russia) but SM-Liiga is nice as well.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Finnadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Welcome to the Habs board where everything has to be a comparison. I'm glad he's getting things going. He's on a top club and I want him to dominate. I would've liked to see him on bigger ice (Sweden, Russia) but SM-Liiga is nice as well.
Been there mostly reading for a couple of years, but still can't fit it in my head

I believe that SM-liiga is the most physical of the leagues mentioned, and that leads me to think that it's the best pick for Lars. We might have a Mikko Koivu v2.0 in our hands here. Nothing spectacular necessarily, but a strong two-way center with a scoring touch and strength.

Finnadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Been there mostly reading for a couple of years, but still can't fit it in my head

I believe that SM-liiga is the most physical of the leagues mentioned, and that leads me to think that it's the best pick for Lars. We might have a Mikko Koivu v2.0 in our hands here. Nothing spectacular necessarily, but a strong two-way center with a scoring touch and strength.
I don't see Eller becoming to Koivu offensively, especially not in terms of passing skills. Not close at all IMO.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I would prefer to see...

Eller - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gionta/Bourque

Eller can learn to drive the net and use his size like Cole and maybe become a stronger skater. Pleks can also help Eller round out his defensive game while giving Eller some prime minutes on the top line. Pac can stay with DD and Gionta/Bourque both drive the net hard so that will fill the void.
While Eller on the wing isn't my favourite solution, Eller-Plekanec-Cole was a dominant two-way line when they played together last season to start. The opposition could barely managed to get any chances on net at all.

But if you're going the route of an uber-defensive Plekanec line, probably better to have Gionta there and Cole with Desharnais.

If in this situation your stuck with Gomez for another year, I'd try him and Bourque together. See if the combination of can't shot/score with good puck carrying and passing (Gomez) and can't pass/control puck but can shoot (Bourque) have some misfit chemistry.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
I'm glad Eller is doing well, but those highlights are not that impressive.

1st goal is a terrible goal allowed by the goalie.

2nd goal features an Erik Karlsson who seemed to not give a flying **** about defending the front of his net. Laughable ''effort'' on his part.

I don't think either one is a goal in the NHL.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:24 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

2nd goal features an Erik Karlsson who seemed to not give a flying **** about defending the front of his net. Laughable ''effort'' on his part.

I dunno Marc, I was pretty impressed by them. 1st goal was a hard shot that was deflected, could have been a goal on any goalie in the world. 2nd goal was a really nice move on an NHL defenseman (that's Norris trophy D right there haha), doesn't matter who's in net, if he gets to the front of the net like that, he's got a good chance to score.

The thing that impresses me most of these Eller highlights, is that he looks assertive out there. Looks much more confident than I've seen him in a while. Hopefully this lockout will prove to be a good thing for him in the long run.

HankyZetts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
What's the story with the confrontation here in every single topic? Who cares if DD > Eller < DD?

We've got a fantastic pack of centers for years to come. Can finally afford to lose or trade some if needed, but don't finally need to grieve upon that part of the team.

To continue on the topic, fan reports say that Eller was THE dynamo of the game today. With Peverley and Perrin in the same line, that can't be a bad thing.
Perhaps this guy/gal is right.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Because terrible goals and sloppy defensive play don't happen in the NHL??

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Because terrible goals and sloppy defensive play don't happen in the NHL??
Sure they do, just saying don't get too excited and start arguing about trades/lines based on this 1 game.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Et le But

Quote:

Erik Karlsson is a first pairing defender in the NHL.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:42 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Erik Karlsson is a first pairing defender in the NHL.
Not known for his defensive prowess and never will.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Not known for his defensive prowess and never will.
Of course, but the point remains that some of the same defensive holes exist to be exploited in the NHL. The Finnish league is not close to the NHL in overall quality but defensively, it's probably the closest thing.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:33 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
While Eller on the wing isn't my favourite solution, Eller-Plekanec-Cole was a dominant two-way line when they played together last season to start. The opposition could barely managed to get any chances on net at all.

But if you're going the route of an uber-defensive Plekanec line, probably better to have Gionta there and Cole with Desharnais.

If in this situation your stuck with Gomez for another year, I'd try him and Bourque together. See if the combination of can't shot/score with good puck carrying and passing (Gomez) and can't pass/control puck but can shoot (Bourque) have some misfit chemistry.
Ellers best work is along the boards, his passing isn't that great. If he learns to use his body in front of the net fine but right now we have much better passers on this team and don't need a line of puck possession players who don't work together. Pleks/DD as a 1A/1B combo is a pretty good setup, we just need to flush out the wingers and we can both agree that Eller on the third line is a waste of time.

Quote:

I didn't see anything that blew my socks off either. Nice to see he can be a dominating force and adapt his game but walking in on Karlsson (who looked like he didn't want to become a bug on a windshield) isn't anything to write home about.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:51 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:

It's definitely the most physical but I have no doubts about his strength. I would've liked to see how his explosiveness looks on the big ice. Hopefully Denmark qualifies for Sochi. Also Mikko is a stretch. His hockey sense is quite a bit higher. But if he can always match up against tough competition and maintain secondary scoring, then acquiring Eller would be a success.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:22 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Lars Eller Article Montreal Gazette

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 04:15 AM
DAChampion

Didn't know his wife was such a looker, but I'm not surprised.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:07 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

I think if Eller's given enough steady time at wing he could possibly improve. I thought he looked better there in his 2nd year than his first with us.

He never really got ample time to acclimatize to the shift. I'm not convinced he'll work out there but I wouldn't be opposed to it. It's definitely his best shot at getting in the top 6, for the moment at least.

If it works then it just gives us more options.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Et le But

The players would be better off letting Eller speak for them instead of Erik Cole.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:47 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

I think Eller can be a great two way 45 points a season third line kind of center. Or he could be a 60 point kind of winger if he focuses on his offensive game. I think ultimately he ends up on the wing. He doesn't really have the playmaking ability to put up scoring line center production in the NHL IMO. Maybe he will prove me wrong.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:57 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The players would be better off letting Eller speak for them instead of Erik Cole.
The players know who they want speaking for them.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I think Eller can be a great two way 45 points a season third line kind of center. Or he could be a 60 point kind of winger if he focuses on his offensive game. I think ultimately he ends up on the wing. He doesn't really have the playmaking ability to put up scoring line center production in the NHL IMO. Maybe he will prove me wrong.
We will never know if he only gets to play with plugs in defensive zone starts.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Both goals by Eller there are directly due to him utilizing the extra ice space.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:02 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
The players know who they want speaking for them.
And it's working out so well for them.

Indeed, Eller is well-spoken. Mature for his age. And I can't remember hearing about him having a kid, but that might just be me forgetting.

I also can't imagine moving him to wing would be a good idea. But then again, we have Therrien so I'll just have to expect the worst.

Also, Eller is playing right now. Has 2 assists through two periods, each on a Rich Peverley goal. So at least 8 points through 5 games.

http://www.flashscore.com/match/OzBn5rtK/#match-summary

Last edited by overlords: 11-27-2012 at 01:10 PM.
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:27 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

Indeed, Eller is well-spoken. Mature for his age. And I can't remember hearing about him having a kid, but that might just be me forgetting.

I also can't imagine moving him to wing would be a good idea. But then again, we have Therrien so I'll just have to expect the worst.

Also, Eller is playing right now. Has 2 assists through two periods, each on a Rich Peverley goal. So at least 8 points through 5 games.

Im sure you have seen this, it's pretty old..

He talks about him and his wife, and also a coming baby
You can clearly hear he is beyond his age in mentality.

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:21 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

Eric Cole seems to be doing a great job educating them on the situation unlike whoever is relaying info to hamrlik. Cole would be a perfect captain for the habs when gionta is gone.