HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eller to play in Europe (signs with Jyväskylä JYP)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-24-2012, 03:49 PM
  #126
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnadien View Post
What's the story with the confrontation here in every single topic? Who cares if DD > Eller < DD?

We've got a fantastic pack of centers for years to come. Can finally afford to lose or trade some if needed, but don't finally need to grieve upon that part of the team.

To continue on the topic, fan reports say that Eller was THE dynamo of the game today. With Peverley and Perrin in the same line, that can't be a bad thing.
Welcome to the Habs board where everything has to be a comparison. I'm glad he's getting things going. He's on a top club and I want him to dominate. I would've liked to see him on bigger ice (Sweden, Russia) but SM-Liiga is nice as well.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:13 PM
  #127
Finnadien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Welcome to the Habs board where everything has to be a comparison. I'm glad he's getting things going. He's on a top club and I want him to dominate. I would've liked to see him on bigger ice (Sweden, Russia) but SM-Liiga is nice as well.
Been there mostly reading for a couple of years, but still can't fit it in my head

I believe that SM-liiga is the most physical of the leagues mentioned, and that leads me to think that it's the best pick for Lars. We might have a Mikko Koivu v2.0 in our hands here. Nothing spectacular necessarily, but a strong two-way center with a scoring touch and strength.

Finnadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:19 PM
  #128
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnadien View Post
Been there mostly reading for a couple of years, but still can't fit it in my head

I believe that SM-liiga is the most physical of the leagues mentioned, and that leads me to think that it's the best pick for Lars. We might have a Mikko Koivu v2.0 in our hands here. Nothing spectacular necessarily, but a strong two-way center with a scoring touch and strength.
I don't see Eller becoming to Koivu offensively, especially not in terms of passing skills. Not close at all IMO.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:46 PM
  #129
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I would prefer to see...

Eller - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gionta/Bourque

Eller can learn to drive the net and use his size like Cole and maybe become a stronger skater. Pleks can also help Eller round out his defensive game while giving Eller some prime minutes on the top line. Pac can stay with DD and Gionta/Bourque both drive the net hard so that will fill the void.
While Eller on the wing isn't my favourite solution, Eller-Plekanec-Cole was a dominant two-way line when they played together last season to start. The opposition could barely managed to get any chances on net at all.

But if you're going the route of an uber-defensive Plekanec line, probably better to have Gionta there and Cole with Desharnais.

If in this situation your stuck with Gomez for another year, I'd try him and Bourque together. See if the combination of can't shot/score with good puck carrying and passing (Gomez) and can't pass/control puck but can shoot (Bourque) have some misfit chemistry.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 04:55 PM
  #130
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 55,808
vCash: 567
I'm glad Eller is doing well, but those highlights are not that impressive.

1st goal is a terrible goal allowed by the goalie.

2nd goal features an Erik Karlsson who seemed to not give a flying **** about defending the front of his net. Laughable ''effort'' on his part.

I don't think either one is a goal in the NHL.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:24 PM
  #131
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'm glad Eller is doing well, but those highlights are not that impressive.

1st goal is a terrible goal allowed by the goalie.

2nd goal features an Erik Karlsson who seemed to not give a flying **** about defending the front of his net. Laughable ''effort'' on his part.

I don't think either one is a goal in the NHL.
I dunno Marc, I was pretty impressed by them. 1st goal was a hard shot that was deflected, could have been a goal on any goalie in the world. 2nd goal was a really nice move on an NHL defenseman (that's Norris trophy D right there haha), doesn't matter who's in net, if he gets to the front of the net like that, he's got a good chance to score.

The thing that impresses me most of these Eller highlights, is that he looks assertive out there. Looks much more confident than I've seen him in a while. Hopefully this lockout will prove to be a good thing for him in the long run.

HankyZetts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:36 PM
  #132
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnadien View Post
What's the story with the confrontation here in every single topic? Who cares if DD > Eller < DD?

We've got a fantastic pack of centers for years to come. Can finally afford to lose or trade some if needed, but don't finally need to grieve upon that part of the team.

To continue on the topic, fan reports say that Eller was THE dynamo of the game today. With Peverley and Perrin in the same line, that can't be a bad thing.
Perhaps this guy/gal is right.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:47 PM
  #133
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'm glad Eller is doing well, but those highlights are not that impressive.

1st goal is a terrible goal allowed by the goalie.

2nd goal features an Erik Karlsson who seemed to not give a flying **** about defending the front of his net. Laughable ''effort'' on his part.

I don't think either one is a goal in the NHL.
Because terrible goals and sloppy defensive play don't happen in the NHL??

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:54 PM
  #134
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 55,808
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Because terrible goals and sloppy defensive play don't happen in the NHL??
Sure they do, just saying don't get too excited and start arguing about trades/lines based on this 1 game.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:22 PM
  #135
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'm glad Eller is doing well, but those highlights are not that impressive.

1st goal is a terrible goal allowed by the goalie.

2nd goal features an Erik Karlsson who seemed to not give a flying **** about defending the front of his net. Laughable ''effort'' on his part.

I don't think either one is a goal in the NHL.
Erik Karlsson is a first pairing defender in the NHL.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:42 PM
  #136
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Erik Karlsson is a first pairing defender in the NHL.
Not known for his defensive prowess and never will.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:13 PM
  #137
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Not known for his defensive prowess and never will.
Of course, but the point remains that some of the same defensive holes exist to be exploited in the NHL. The Finnish league is not close to the NHL in overall quality but defensively, it's probably the closest thing.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:33 PM
  #138
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
While Eller on the wing isn't my favourite solution, Eller-Plekanec-Cole was a dominant two-way line when they played together last season to start. The opposition could barely managed to get any chances on net at all.

But if you're going the route of an uber-defensive Plekanec line, probably better to have Gionta there and Cole with Desharnais.

If in this situation your stuck with Gomez for another year, I'd try him and Bourque together. See if the combination of can't shot/score with good puck carrying and passing (Gomez) and can't pass/control puck but can shoot (Bourque) have some misfit chemistry.
Ellers best work is along the boards, his passing isn't that great. If he learns to use his body in front of the net fine but right now we have much better passers on this team and don't need a line of puck possession players who don't work together. Pleks/DD as a 1A/1B combo is a pretty good setup, we just need to flush out the wingers and we can both agree that Eller on the third line is a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'm glad Eller is doing well, but those highlights are not that impressive.

1st goal is a terrible goal allowed by the goalie.

2nd goal features an Erik Karlsson who seemed to not give a flying **** about defending the front of his net. Laughable ''effort'' on his part.

I don't think either one is a goal in the NHL.
I didn't see anything that blew my socks off either. Nice to see he can be a dominating force and adapt his game but walking in on Karlsson (who looked like he didn't want to become a bug on a windshield) isn't anything to write home about.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:51 PM
  #139
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnadien View Post
Been there mostly reading for a couple of years, but still can't fit it in my head

I believe that SM-liiga is the most physical of the leagues mentioned, and that leads me to think that it's the best pick for Lars. We might have a Mikko Koivu v2.0 in our hands here. Nothing spectacular necessarily, but a strong two-way center with a scoring touch and strength.
It's definitely the most physical but I have no doubts about his strength. I would've liked to see how his explosiveness looks on the big ice. Hopefully Denmark qualifies for Sochi. Also Mikko is a stretch. His hockey sense is quite a bit higher. But if he can always match up against tough competition and maintain secondary scoring, then acquiring Eller would be a success.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:22 AM
  #140
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 500
Lars Eller Article Montreal Gazette

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 04:15 AM
  #141
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,558
vCash: 500
Didn't know his wife was such a looker, but I'm not surprised.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:07 AM
  #142
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,346
vCash: 500
I think if Eller's given enough steady time at wing he could possibly improve. I thought he looked better there in his 2nd year than his first with us.

He never really got ample time to acclimatize to the shift. I'm not convinced he'll work out there but I wouldn't be opposed to it. It's definitely his best shot at getting in the top 6, for the moment at least.

If it works then it just gives us more options.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:22 AM
  #143
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,013
vCash: 500
The players would be better off letting Eller speak for them instead of Erik Cole.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:47 AM
  #144
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
I think Eller can be a great two way 45 points a season third line kind of center. Or he could be a 60 point kind of winger if he focuses on his offensive game. I think ultimately he ends up on the wing. He doesn't really have the playmaking ability to put up scoring line center production in the NHL IMO. Maybe he will prove me wrong.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:57 AM
  #145
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The players would be better off letting Eller speak for them instead of Erik Cole.
The players know who they want speaking for them.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:58 AM
  #146
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I think Eller can be a great two way 45 points a season third line kind of center. Or he could be a 60 point kind of winger if he focuses on his offensive game. I think ultimately he ends up on the wing. He doesn't really have the playmaking ability to put up scoring line center production in the NHL IMO. Maybe he will prove me wrong.
We will never know if he only gets to play with plugs in defensive zone starts.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:19 PM
  #147
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,970
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Both goals by Eller there are directly due to him utilizing the extra ice space.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:02 PM
  #148
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
The players know who they want speaking for them.
And it's working out so well for them.

Indeed, Eller is well-spoken. Mature for his age. And I can't remember hearing about him having a kid, but that might just be me forgetting.

I also can't imagine moving him to wing would be a good idea. But then again, we have Therrien so I'll just have to expect the worst.

Also, Eller is playing right now. Has 2 assists through two periods, each on a Rich Peverley goal. So at least 8 points through 5 games.

http://www.flashscore.com/match/OzBn5rtK/#match-summary


Last edited by overlords: 11-27-2012 at 01:10 PM.
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:27 PM
  #149
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coquitlam BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
And it's working out so well for them.

Indeed, Eller is well-spoken. Mature for his age. And I can't remember hearing about him having a kid, but that might just be me forgetting.

I also can't imagine moving him to wing would be a good idea. But then again, we have Therrien so I'll just have to expect the worst.

Also, Eller is playing right now. Has 2 assists through two periods, each on a Rich Peverley goal. So at least 8 points through 5 games.

http://www.flashscore.com/match/OzBn5rtK/#match-summary
Im sure you have seen this, it's pretty old..



He talks about him and his wife, and also a coming baby
You can clearly hear he is beyond his age in mentality.

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:21 PM
  #150
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
And it's working out so well for them.

Indeed, Eller is well-spoken. Mature for his age. And I can't remember hearing about him having a kid, but that might just be me forgetting.

I also can't imagine moving him to wing would be a good idea. But then again, we have Therrien so I'll just have to expect the worst.

Also, Eller is playing right now. Has 2 assists through two periods, each on a Rich Peverley goal. So at least 8 points through 5 games.

http://www.flashscore.com/match/OzBn5rtK/#match-summary

Eric Cole seems to be doing a great job educating them on the situation unlike whoever is relaying info to hamrlik. Cole would be a perfect captain for the habs when gionta is gone.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.