HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

San Francisco QB debate

View Poll Results: Who should be the starting QB for San Francisco?
Alex Smith 36 40.91%
Colin Kaepernick 52 59.09%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-27-2012, 05:56 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
San Francisco QB debate

Since this is a hot topic in the NFL, and it's not going away anytime soon, and a few of us have weighed in through various threads, may as well centralize it.

If you were in the shoes Jim Harbaugh, coach of the San Francisco 49ers, who would you make your starting QB: Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick?

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 06:43 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

I'd go with Colin. I hand picked him in the draft for this very purpose. So far he's shown control and poise in big games. He is a runnning threat, something Alex never was and more of a deep threat than Alex. The versatility may prove more beneficial than the risk. Colin of course is more likely to throw picks and does not have Alex's experience.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Tuggy

Can they even go back to Smith anymore? What kind of mindset is Smith going to have when it's clear he is not the coaches first choice.

It's truly a bold move by a team that wants to win a Super Bowl. When Kaepernick hits a rough spot, and he will, it will be interesting to see how he handles it. It's a lot to give an inexperienced QB, but lucky for him he has a great defense on his side.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:18 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Can they even go back to Smith anymore? What kind of mindset is Smith going to have when it's clear he is not the coaches first choice.

It's truly a bold move by a team that wants to win a Super Bowl. When Kaepernick hits a rough spot, and he will, it will be interesting to see how he handles it. It's a lot to give an inexperienced QB, but lucky for him he has a great defense on his side.
By all accounts, Smith is rolling along with it. The only controversy is in the media, apparently.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

It would be one thing if Smith has been as consistently efficient as he was last season, but he's put up quite a few stinkers this season. Harbaugh can take the risk with Kaepernick since the reward from his skill set is higher than with Smith.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

It would be funny if Smith turned out to be the next Drew Brees.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Clowe Me

He won't. I like the guy, but he won't.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:51 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
It would be funny if Smith turned out to be the next Drew Brees.
More likely Drew Bledsoe post-Brady.

Come to Buffalo with all this promise, and then...nothing.

(or he could go through the time-tested SF to KC connection)

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
As a Niners fan, I'd still go with Alex. Some say that he's a game-manager. So what? He's a good game-manager, and that's enough for this team. Stats of his last two (or 1,5) games:

25/27, 304 yds, 4 TD, 0 INT. That's 92,6% completion percentage and 153,2 QB rating...

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

IMO it's Smith. Like the poster above me said, it doesn't matter if he's a game manager. That's all you need from the 49ers QB this year.

Gootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Clowe Me

As long as the 49ers continue to win and play well, it's kaepernick. if he struggles and tuns the ball over, he could get replaced by Smith.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 06:22 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

I don't like Alex Smith, don't see him leading anyone to the superbowl. You know where I voted.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Hammettf2b
Unregistered User

vCash: 111
as a longtime Niner fan i was waiting for the day they would give Kap a shot to Qb this team. Smith is a good manager, but its as if the coaching staff doesnt trust him in certain situations. With Kap at the helm, i see a more vertical offense in the future. that would be really scary with our rushing attack the way it is now. IMHO they wouldnt have to rely on their defense so much with Kap as the starter.

Hammettf2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

I'm just worried about it backfiring, I could careless who plays as long as the 49ers win.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I told my friends that I sternly believe that Smith can win a SB and I still stand by it.

Alex Smith has my support.

11-27-2012, 11:23 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for...Trent Dilfer was a game manager who won a Super Bowl...they replace him with Elvis Grbac who was a more capable QB but decidedly not a game manager, and it didn't quite work out so well.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I told my friends that I sternly believe that Smith can win a SB and I still stand by it.

Alex Smith has my support.
The 49ers certainly capable of winning a Super Bowl with Smith as quarterback. I don't think anyone is claiming otherwise. But having a chance to win a Super Bowl doesn't mean that they shouldn't look to improve that chance. I have always supported Alex Smith from Day 1. I was one of about 3 people that believed in him prior to 2011. It's rather ironic that the same cluster of writers and TV heads that couldn't find enough derogatory things to say about Smith, who were questioning Harbaugh about Smith's confidence as recently as Week 7, are now lining up to criticize him about benching his "Pro-Bowl caliber" QB.

Smith has been very good, at times great, this season. That said, I cannot formulate even one argument for the 49ers being a better team with him starting than they are with Kaepernick. If Kaepernick begins to struggle, then we can talk. If that were to happen, Harbaugh would have no hesitation about going back to Smith. Spare me the crap about Smith's psyche and/or confidence being so shaken by this situation that, if asked to, he could not come back and be the effective QB that he has been. Alex Smith is not some emotionally fragile rookie that will crawl into a hole and cry when presented with a little adversity. All these people jabbering about loyalty need to remember that after years of being crapped on by his (ironically) crappy head coaches, Smith is not going to fall apart because Harbaugh, his biggest supporter and most tireless defender for the last 1.5 years, decides to give Kaepernick a chance. He didn't fall apart when the 49ers basically ignored him all summer because they were in the midst of a very serious flirtation with a 4-time NFL MVP quarterback. He won't now. Kaepernick hasn't done anything to make anyone believe that he can't do what Smith can. And he certainly can do everything that Smith cannot. The ability to throw the ball downfield and avoid sacks might be the two most important traits in a QB. Kaepernick has them, Smith does not. There is no reason to go back to Smith until Kaepernick gives them a reason. Smith gave them a reason to switch to Kaepernick, and as unfair a reason as a concussion is, it is still a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for...Trent Dilfer was a game manager who won a Super Bowl...they replace him with Elvis Grbac who was a more capable QB but decidedly not a game manager, and it didn't quite work out so well.
That is a horrible analogy. The only reason that Dilfer was given a chance was because the Ravens' offense was literally unable to score for about a month with Tony Banks at the helm. Dilfer took over and was utterly Banks-like except for a three-game stretch from Weeks 10-12. Dilfer won a Super Bowl, but don't let that think that it had something to do with him. The "improvement" of the offense had more to do with Jamal Lewis having a brilliant second half of his rookie season than anything else. You could have put that very same Elvis Grbac on the 2000 Ravens, and they would have won the Super Bowl. After the season, the Ravens rightfully and accurately identified that Dilfer was not a realistic option as a starter in the NFL. They recognized that the 2000 defense was probably the greatest defense in NFL history, and they understood that it was unlikely that any defense could duplicate that performance two years in a row. And with anything other than the greatest defense in NFL history to support him, Trent Dilfer was not going to be a legitimate option. They went with Grbac because he at least had the ability to make a serious impact and could put up points. Unfortunately, he did make a serious impact and put up points, but it was just as likely to be for the other team as the Ravens. Still, let's not pretend that bringing back Dilfer would have changed anything about the 2001 Ravens.

Last edited by Blades of Glory: 11-28-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Lindsay Rhodes ‏@lindsay_rhodes
Colin Kaepernick will start this week according to Harbaugh

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Small Brain Presence

You shouldn't have got injured Alex. This is why Ted Baxter never took a vacation.

Small Brain Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

Alex Smith = Wally Pipp

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Well Harbaugh can't go back now. He better hope this works out. With Bowman extended and Goldson due for a raise..Alex is all but gone next year.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:03 AM
forsbergavs32

vCash: 280
I have no problem with us going back to Smith...but even as a rookie, I think Kaepernick has more of an upside and reward than Smith. Kaep can throw the ball well enough, has the ability to run and he is able to use that to avoid pressure. Of course, theres always the big risk he's gonna go through a rough patch (its inevitable actually) but I think the Niners gain more by putting Kaep in.

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:07 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Kurt Warner brought up an interesting point on NFL Network. Alex Smith got a concussion, and when he came back he didn't have his job.

What happens when the next 49er gets a concussion?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsbergavs32 View Post
I have no problem with us going back to Smith...but even as a rookie, I think Kaepernick has more of an upside and reward than Smith. Kaep can throw the ball well enough, has the ability to run and he is able to use that to avoid pressure. Of course, theres always the big risk he's gonna go through a rough patch (its inevitable actually) but I think the Niners gain more by putting Kaep in.
Kaepernick also doesn't have tiny girl hands

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:17 AM
NoNecksCurse

this move will come back to bite harbaugh and the 49ers in the ass

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote