HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-2013 Prospect Talk PART IV

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 01:32 PM
KrisBeKreame

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
My hope is he plays one more year at Denver. I think it will be a dominant year, and you'll see more offensive production to go with his shut down abilities. He has some offensive instincts just like Pedan. They look like they are just shut down guys, but if you watch videos of these guys, they have good hands and skating abilities. I posted videos of both Mayfield when he was with the USHL, and some plays by Pedan this year. They should make any Islander's fans excited.
I'd Rather see him follow Donovon and leave to play one year (maybe part of another and be first call-up) in the AHL.

Old
11-27-2012, 02:27 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
I'd Rather see him follow Donovon and leave to play one year (maybe part of another and be first call-up) in the AHL.
If I remember correctly, Donovan was older than Mayfield will be after their sophomore seasons. I believe Donovan was a 19 year old freshman, due to playing one more season in the USHL after being drafted. So he might have been a little more mature, and definitely more advanced offensively. Mayfield is a shut down guy, but I'd like to see him completely dominate for one college season.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:01 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
If I remember correctly, Donovan was older than Mayfield will be after their sophomore seasons. I believe Donovan was a 19 year old freshman, due to playing one more season in the USHL after being drafted. So he might have been a little more mature, and definitely more advanced offensively. Mayfield is a shut down guy, but I'd like to see him completely dominate for one college season.
From some places I've read, He is one of the Top defensive D Men in the NCAA right now.

Donovon did not play in USHL after being drafted, He went straight to Denver and played in the WJC. Donovon was older after his second year only by the virtue of Donovon (May'90) having his birthday 5 months before Mayfield (Oct'92).

Old
11-27-2012, 03:31 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
From some places I've read, He is one of the Top defensive D Men in the NCAA right now.

Donovon did not play in USHL after being drafted, He went straight to Denver and played in the WJC. Donovon was older after his second year only by the virtue of Donovon (May'90) having his birthday 5 months before Mayfield (Oct'92).
Ahhh, I stand corrected, nice catch.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Spinkis

How has John Persson been playing? what's his strengths and weaknesses?

Old
11-27-2012, 04:02 PM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

I wouldn't mind if Mayfield spends another year at Denver. Then he can come to Bridgeport and either replace Carkner during the last year of his contract or after it expires. I'd like to think that Mayfield will be pretty monstrous physically 2 1/2 years from now, which is when that Carkner contract will be up.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:00 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinkis View Post
How has John Persson been playing? what's his strengths and weaknesses?
he's been good..he is very one dimensional but that one dimension is good...he is a north south big body who can really crash the net and score some dirty sirty goals...he needs to get stronger and work on his skating but i have been pleased with him so far

Old
11-27-2012, 08:18 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Reinhart and Pelech included by TSN when discussing Team Canada's blueline. It is an offhand remark, but nice to see they are on the radar in some minds.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
he's been good..he is very one dimensional but that one dimension is good...he is a north south big body who can really crash the net and score some dirty sirty goals...he needs to get stronger and work on his skating but i have been pleased with him so far
This hits the nail on the head.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:30 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Reinhart and Pelech included by TSN when discussing Team Canada's blueline. It is an offhand remark, but nice to see they are on the radar in some minds.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410405

again, reinhart is certainly not a lock...maybe people will listen to bob mckenzie now (even though he said the same thing much earlier in the season).

Old
11-27-2012, 10:44 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post

again, reinhart is certainly not a lock...maybe people will listen to bob mckenzie now (even though he said the same thing much earlier in the season).
Good read. Great lineup on defense, wow.
Not having Reinhart as a shutdown guy, against those great forwards on the opponents, would be a mistake. He brings what nobody else does, unique combination of size, reach, shutdown D, he has no flaws and can complement any other dman.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

As usual, lots of promising names for Canada to choose from for that blueline. It'd be great to have two prospects spicing up that defensive corps. We could just as easily have none.

One possible scenario that would have to be 'fascinating' for Islanderville would be if Pelech makes the team and Reinhart doesn't.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgolden View Post
Its too bad many Islanders fans assume his finishing school is an attempt to test open waters. A big dose of his character could certainly help around here.
I guess it's a natural reaction after both Gregoire and Kessel (also mid-late round picks) left school early and went the UFA route. There's that fear factor that just about any college prospect (in the Islanders' group) will realistically look at that option and as opposed to Gregoire and Kessel, who both had some decent to at times impressive NCAA numbers (and have had very modest pro debuts, less than modest in Kessel's case), there's that feeling that Lee can be a useful, perhaps even successful, NHLer in a top 9 capacity.

Next spring he'll be at that point where he too could go that route, so that fear abounds.

You're right about the character aspect... There'll be a huge sigh of relief if and when Lee is signed and it does seem like he's one of these young men who has that winner gene. I have little doubt that the Isles' staff recognizes those traits and heck, they did try and bring him in last offseason, so it's safe to say they want to add those traits to the program, perhaps ASAP.

Would love to see him in orange and blue sooner than later.

What do you think, will he go pro if ND takes the championship next spring?

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 11-28-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old
11-28-2012, 01:20 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Just my opinion, I think Pedan's offense is underated. Kind of like Reinhart, Denver plays Mayfield as the shut down and he has been really good this year. A former student of mine attends all the Denver home games, he emails me all the time, says Mayfield's defense has been outstanding.
You're not alone!

Can't wait to see what kind of a pro he's going to be.

Big boy, big enough shot, seems to have some niftier offensive instincts than sometimes meets the eye.

What concerns me the most for his future is however his actual defensive play. Of course, he has lots of time and he can be taught how to tighten things up, use his body better along the boards, and have a better read on events in manning the areas around the net. Maybe that's already happening this season.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:04 AM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:

Really? IMO Reinhart was a lock even before Murray got hurt. Now it really wouldn't make any sense to leave him off, considering aside from Murray he's Canada's top shut-down defenseman. Other than Reinhart, Hamilton is the only defenseman that is over 6'1 on McKenzie's list of locks. That will only help Reinhart's chances, as well as the fact that I can't see that last spot going to an offensive-D, considering guys like Rielly and Murphy(which is a joke considering the year he's having offensively) are already on the team(according to McKenzie, at least).

I'd be absolutely shocked and confused if Reinhart doesn't make the team.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:33 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
You're not alone!

Can't wait to see what kind of a pro he's going to be.

Big boy, big enough shot, seems to have some niftier offensive instincts than sometimes meets the eye.

What concerns me the most for his future is however his actual defensive play. Of course, he has lots of time and he can be taught how to tighten things up, use his body better along the boards, and have a better read on events in manning the areas around the net. Maybe that's already happening this season.
they have enough smallish, one dimensional offensive players (Rielly, Murphy, Hamilton to a lesser extent) - Reinhart should make the team. Tough to gauge since many of us (including myself) haven't seen enough of the other players play, especially this year.

Reinhart doesn't have the best stats but ever game I've seen he's been pretty spectacular. Seems like a man among boys.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:42 AM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
they have enough smallish, one dimensional offensive players (Rielly, Murphy, Hamilton to a lesser extent) - Reinhart should make the team. Tough to gauge since many of us (including myself) haven't seen enough of the other players play, especially this year.

Reinhart doesn't have the best stats but ever game I've seen he's been pretty spectacular. Seems like a man among boys.
I think you quoted the wrong person.

I do think that every "lock" McKenzie listed aside from Murphy deserve to make the team. Harrington was there last year and looked good, so I don't see how he wouldn't make it. Ouellet is an offensive guy but can be relied upon defensively as well, and he's a little older which Canada usually likes. Rielly's offensive game will be too valuable to pass up as well. Hamilton is a no-brainer.

That leaves one spot(should be two, but I digress). I don't see it going to an offensive defenseman, considering they already have two guys who are almost strictly offensive oriented in Rielly and Murphy. They have two guys who do a little bit of both in Hamilton and Ouellet. They only have one guy who is mainly a shut-down defenseman in Harrington. If they'd like to add another, Reinhart would be the no-brainer choice. Especially considering the only other defenseman with his type of size on the blue-line would be Hamilton, and considering he's arguably a better "defender" than any one of the previous mentioned players.

Not trying to sound like a homer, but it just makes too much sense.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:46 AM
ndgolden

Quote:
I guess it's a natural reaction after both Gregoire and Kessel (also mid-late round picks) left school early and went the UFA route. There's that fear factor that just about any college prospect (in the Islanders' group) will realistically look at that option and as opposed to Gregoire and Kessel, who both had some decent to at times impressive NCAA numbers (and have had very modest pro debuts, less than modest in Kessel's case), there's that feeling that Lee can be a useful, perhaps even successful, NHLer in a top 9 capacity.

Next spring he'll be at that point where he too could go that route, so that fear abounds.

You're right about the character aspect... There'll be a huge sigh of relief if and when Lee is signed and it does seem like he's one of these young men who has that winner gene. I have little doubt that the Isles' staff recognizes those traits and heck, they did try and bring him in last offseason, so it's safe to say they want to add those traits to the program, perhaps ASAP.

Would love to see him in orange and blue sooner than later.

What do you think, will he go pro if ND takes the championship next spring?
I think it would take that very thing, a National Championship for him to consider. With the current ELC contract, money will certainly not be an issue or advantage from any team for Lee.

Regardless, of whether he finishes his four years at ND, and then turns pro, playing the UFA angle is jaded and shortsighted. At the very least, the Islanders will be able to move him if that is the case.

Lee is viewed as having a much greater upside in the "Pro" game then the college ranks where he seems to be doing just fine.

Go Irish!

Old
11-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

EUROPE:
- John Tavares has 10-15-25, 12 PM and a +6 rating in 17 games for SC Bern
- Mark Streit has 5-13-18, 10 PM and a +9 in 21 games for SC Bern
- Michael Grabner has 10-9-19, 2 PM and a +5 in 16 games for Villacher SV
- Frans Nielsen has 1-14-15, 8 PM and a +7 in 18 games for Lukko Rauma
- Andy MacDonald has 1-4-5, 4 PM and a -5 in 15 games for Karlovy Vary.
- Lubomir Visnovsky has 5-7-12, 12 PM and a +2 in 19 games for Slovan Bratislava.
- Josh Bailey has 3-4-7 with 12 PM in 4 games for Bietigheim-Bissingen.
- Rick Dipietro is 0-1-0 with a 3.03 GAA in 1 game for SC Riesersee.

- Mikko Koskinen is 10-6-8 with a .915 save percentage and 2.08 GAA in 24 games for KaiPa.
- Jesse Joensuu has 11-13-24, 67 PM and a +11 in 20 games for Ässät Pori.
- Ville Pokka has 3-3-6, 2 PM and a -2 in 19 games for Karpat.
- Kirill Petrov has 6-3-9, 14 PM and a +8 in 28 games for Kazan AK.
- Rhett Rakhshani has 9-12-21, 16 PM and a +12 in 25 games for HV71.
- Mark Katic has 2-5-7, 14 PM and a +6 in 17 games for the Eisbären Berlin.
- Justin Dibenedetto has 6-16-22, 18 PM and a -4 in 23 games for Salzburg EC.
- Tony Romano has 7-10-17, 4 PM and a +2 in 24 games for the Vienna Capitals.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 11-28-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old
11-28-2012, 11:50 AM
scott99

Quote:
EUROPE:
- John Tavares has 10-15-25, 12 PM and a +6 rating in 17 games for SC Bern
- Mark Streit has 5-13-18, 10 PM and a +9 in 21 games for SC Bern
- Michael Grabner has 10-9-19, 2 PM and a +5 in 16 games for Villacher SV- Frans Nielsen has 1-14-15, 8 PM and a +7 in 18 games for Lukko Rauma
- Andy MacDonald has 1-4-5, 4 PM and a -5 in 15 games for Karlovy Vary.
- Lubomir Visnovsky has 5-7-11, 12 PM and a +2 in 19 games for Slovan Bratislava.- Josh Bailey has 3-4-5 with 12 PM in 4 games for Bietigheim-Bissingen.
- Rick Dipietro is 0-1-0 with a 3.03 GAA in 1 game for SC Riesersee.

- Mikko Koskinen is 10-6-8 with a .915 save percentage and 2.08 GAA in 24 games for KaiPa.
- Jesse Joensuu has 11-13-24, 67 PM and a +11 in 20 games for Ässät Pori.
- Ville Pokka has 3-3-6, 2 PM and a -2 in 19 games for Karpat.
- Kirill Petrov has 6-3-9, 14 PM and a +8 in 28 games for Kazan AK.
- Rhett Rakhshani has 9-12-21, 16 PM and a +12 in 25 games for HV71.
- Mark Katic has 2-5-7, 14 PM and a +6 in 17 games for the Eisbären Berlin.
- Justin Dibenedetto has 6-16-22, 18 PM and a -4 in 23 games for Salzburg EC.
- Tony Romano has 7-10-17, 4 PM and a +2 in 24 games for the Vienna Capitals.
Nice to see Grabner scoring goals and Visnovsky being productive. IF there is a season, hopefully these guys play a major part of us possibly being successful. With a shortened season (48 games ?), we might be able to sneak into the playoffs, we are usually close the first half of the season.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Degeneration Rex

Wednesday

Chicoutimi 5, Cape Breton 2-Leduc, -1
Belleville 6, Niagara 2-Theoret, 1 goal (12), 1 assist, even, Strome 1 assist, even, Graham, -1.
Plymouth 4, Erie 3 (OT)-Pelech, 1 assist, -1.
Kootenay 5, Edmonton 4 (SO) Reinhart, -2.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 11-28-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old
11-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Wednesday

Chicoutimi 5, Cape Breton 2-Leduc, -1
Belleville 6, Niagara 2-Theoret, 1 goal (12), 1 assist, even, Strome 1 assist, even, Graham, -1.
Plymouth 4, Erie 3 (OT)-Pelech, 1 assist, -1.
Kootenay 5, Edmonton 4 (SO) Reinhart, -2.
The Griff -2

Old
11-29-2012, 08:15 AM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
The Griff -2
Might be the first time all year I've seen that.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Degeneration Rex

The Erie Otters have fired coach Robbie Ftorek. The new coach is a once Islanders draft pick
Kris Knoblauch-drafted sometime in the late 1990's. Posted this since Pelech plays for Erie.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:15 PM
scott99

Quote:
The Erie Otters have fired coach Robbie Ftorek. The new coach is a once Islanders draft pick
Kris Knoblauch-drafted sometime in the late 1990's. Posted this since Pelech plays for Erie.

I feel bad for Pelech, playing on such a crappy team. BUT, I guess it does give him the opportunity to play in all circumstances, so I guess it's not the end of the world.

Closed Thread