HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Albany Devils Games

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Eggers
:panic:

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Eggers
I don't blame anyone for souring on Kowalsky this season, but I like the guy. He sounds good for the kids.

And he certainly doesn't seem to be derailing any development. Every 1st-rounder since Corrente (and Bergfors the year before, but I don't think he ever played for Kowalsky) has found his way to Newark.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Henrique with a sniper from the right. Beauty.
I like seeing that. Henrique has a great motor and a decent shot. If he improves his shot further he'll be even more dangerous a threat than he already is.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

just look at the chicago wolves to know that winning in the ahl isn't necessarily good for development.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
I don't blame anyone for souring on Kowalsky this season, but I like the guy. He sounds good for the kids.

And he certainly doesn't seem to be derailing any development. Every 1st-rounder since Corrente (and Bergfors the year before, but I don't think he ever played for Kowalsky) has found his way to Newark.
I think Kowalsky took over in 2010 when Maclean took over the NHL Devils. I'm not sure if he was on the coaching staff before this though? He's never had Larsson, or Josefson(Aside from a few games each season) before this, but he did have Henrique in 10/11 who had a big year that season up there, and we all know about his rookie NHL year. That goes unsaid.

Not sure if a coaching change would make much difference. Just using our NHL team as an example we've seen how much of a difference coaching changes made(Ftorek, Maclean) and then we've seen some non factors(Julien) where it didn't make a difference at all. Much different though from the AHL. The good news is two locks(Josefson, Henrique) and two maybe's(Butler, Tedenby) for the NHL squad did score today.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:33 PM
CerebralGenesis

The AHL and the NHL are not the same. You can't compare what happens in the NHL to yield the same results in the AHL. They might be two competitive leagues but Lou uses one as a developmental one. You can argue whether losing and being a bubble squad perennially is a detriment but I suspect they are fine getting their guys ready for the NHL instead.

Don't expect a coaching carousel in the AHL, I dont.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Parise9Crosby87

larsson looking good too

Old
11-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
larsson looking good too
I feel like all the right players got points today. Josefson, Henrique, Larsson, Tedenby, Urbom, Butler, Parse, Corrente ().

Maybe now with Parse and Gelinas and Urbom all back, and Tedenby and Butler and Henrique finding their offense, Kowalsky can focus on the defense and we'll start to see some good performances from Albany.

Old
11-26-2012, 06:00 AM
Billdo

vCash: 300
Was at the game in AC today and thought I'd provide a little insight. First of, Larsson looked very good at times. Other times he was trying to do too much. Good game overall. Henrique had stretches where he was dominant and others where he was invisible. Tedenby had a decent game but was responsible for one of the Pens goals in the offensive zone and then for not covering down low in the defensive zone. He tried to reach for a puck one handed in the corner rather than going in aggressive and WBS moved the puck out really quick and he got caught. Gelinas looks great, very composed, fluid skater, makes quick decisions, nicer puck carrier. Butler was pretty good. Hard to tell with him. Josefsson was probably our best player. He was all over the ice, on the PK, even strength, and PP. Solid game overall. Matt Anderson and Whitney are both interesting players. They both have offensive ability and some touch. I don't see them passing Tedenby and or Butler as the maybes but there's not much difference which says a lot about Tedenby and Butler IMO. Lastly, the officiating was god awful. We had 7 penalties. Granted WBS didnt score on any of them (great pk'ing) but it shouldnt have been that bad. We went 1-2 on the PP. Anytime there was a scrum, only a Devil got the penalty. The officiating was just awful, it almost made the game less enjoyable. Oh, and FTW, hybrid icing.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I'm happy to hear that Gelinas looks good. I have high hopes for him making the NHL team in the near future.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'm happy to hear that Gelinas looks good. I have high hopes for him making the NHL team in the near future.
There are already Zidlicky's even strength and powerplay's spots waiting for him next season. He's a crucial player.

Old
11-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by 732DevilsFan View Post
Was at the game in AC today and thought I'd provide a little insight. First of, Larsson looked very good at times. Other times he was trying to do too much. Good game overall. Henrique had stretches where he was dominant and others where he was invisible. Tedenby had a decent game but was responsible for one of the Pens goals in the offensive zone and then for not covering down low in the defensive zone. He tried to reach for a puck one handed in the corner rather than going in aggressive and WBS moved the puck out really quick and he got caught. Gelinas looks great, very composed, fluid skater, makes quick decisions, nicer puck carrier. Butler was pretty good. Hard to tell with him. Josefsson was probably our best player. He was all over the ice, on the PK, even strength, and PP. Solid game overall. Matt Anderson and Whitney are both interesting players. They both have offensive ability and some touch. I don't see them passing Tedenby and or Butler as the maybes but there's not much difference which says a lot about Tedenby and Butler IMO. Lastly, the officiating was god awful. We had 7 penalties. Granted WBS didnt score on any of them (great pk'ing) but it shouldnt have been that bad. We went 1-2 on the PP. Anytime there was a scrum, only a Devil got the penalty. The officiating was just awful, it almost made the game less enjoyable. Oh, and FTW, hybrid icing.
To be honest, I'm surprised Anderson has never gotten an NHL look.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Isn't Anderson an older vet? I guess if Sestito got NHL ice, and Brad Mills WOOF, that Anderson could.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:45 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

^ What's WOOF?

Did Brad Mills bark like a Dog or something?

Old
11-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
^ What's WOOF?

Did Brad Mills bark like a Dog or something?
No he was pretty awful! Then again I have to keep reminding myself that Eric Boulton was in the lineup regularly the whole regular season. At least Mills had a two way contract, and could be buried in the minors!

Old
11-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
There are already Zidlicky's even strength and powerplay's spots waiting for him next season. He's a crucial player.
It would suck if the rest of Zidlicky's contract was wiped out by the lockout. It would lower the value of the trade Lou made.

But yes, if he is not brought back, Gelinas could definitely compete for that spot.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:20 AM
Billdo

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Isn't Anderson an older vet? I guess if Sestito got NHL ice, and Brad Mills WOOF, that Anderson could.
Anderson just turned 30 at the end of October. Im surprised he's never been given a shot as well. Especially when we would play our extra d-man as a forward or whatever other calamity we had going on at various points the last few years. He has put up at least 30 points every season since 2008 and was an all star last year.

On a side note, I know he's not hear for anything other than being a "family" organization but I find it hard to believe that there isn't a better player we could put on that team than Darcy Zajac.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:29 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Going to Hartford for the adevs-whale game on the 9th. Pretty pumped for that...

Old
11-27-2012, 10:36 AM
devilinthedetails

Weekly Roundup

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2012/11/...roundup-week-8

Old
11-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
It would suck if the rest of Zidlicky's contract was wiped out by the lockout. It would lower the value of the trade Lou made.

But yes, if he is not brought back, Gelinas could definitely compete for that spot.
It would suck, and he's a PPG player in Czech right now(Don't expect that from him over here though) but I'm still happy with the trade. It also weeded out a lot of deadweight that we needed to get rid of. Palmieri, Villeux(Who?), Foster. We essentially gave up Pelley(Dear god thank you) and Fraser(Thank you x2) for him since that's who we got Foster for. The best thing we probably gave away was Washington's draft pick.

Flame me all you want, but if I had my way I would love to get rid of Tallinder, and Volchenkov(Good luck) and re sign Zid next Summer. I'm not a Volchenkov hater, and I would love to have him at much cheaper, but not where he's at now.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Going to Hartford for the adevs-whale game on the 9th. Pretty pumped for that...
I might go to that one too.

Old
11-27-2012, 02:10 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Flame me all you want, but if I had my way I would love to get rid of Tallinder, and Volchenkov(Good luck) and re sign Zid next Summer. I'm not a Volchenkov hater, and I would love to have him at much cheaper, but not where he's at now.
Couldn't agree more.

Zidlicky gives us something we've been desperatly lacking for the past 5 or 6 years... a legit threat from the point.

I was under the impression that Salvador was going to resign elsewhere when taking into consideration that our current blueline is pretty full ATM and that we have one or two prospects who are looking to make the big club as well.

Having both Sal and A-Train on our blueline, eating just over 7.4M$ combined, isn't the best way to maximise our cap space/money IMO, especially when we have to resign key players this off season the likes of Zajac/Elias/Zubrus/Clarkson/Zidlicky and a couple of RFA's (but the difference for our RFA's are going to be marginal at best).

Old
11-27-2012, 02:29 PM
hlaverty06

http://www.thealbanydevils.com/holiday-hat-trick

The package includes:
+ Three Flex Ticket Vouchers
+ A Bonus Ticket to the Jan. 26 game against the Adirondack Phantoms
+ A Mystery Albany Devils Player Bobblehead
+ $10 Gift Card to Price Chopper
You can purchase your “Holiday Hat Trick” online or by calling (518) 4-DEVILS.

all for 45 bucks, not bad. May buy some of these for a weekend trip

Old
11-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Couldn't agree more.

Zidlicky gives us something we've been desperatly lacking for the past 5 or 6 years... a legit threat from the point.

I was under the impression that Salvador was going to resign elsewhere when taking into consideration that our current blueline is pretty full ATM and that we have one or two prospects who are looking to make the big club as well.

Having both Sal and A-Train on our blueline, eating just over 7.4M$ combined, isn't the best way to maximise our cap space/money IMO, especially when we have to resign key players like Zajac/Elias/Zubrus/Clarkson/Zidlicky and a couple of RFA's (but the difference for our RFA's are going to be marginal at best).
Where have you been? You been a ghost on here during the lockout! I know how you feel about Volchenkov.

I don't dislike him, but the salary is pretty bad. The no trade clause makes the contract even worse. Zidlicky has been our best offensive threat at the blue line since Rafalski, no doubt about that. He wasn't the same after the Flyers series. I figure something happened to him though. Maybe that hit from Simmonds. That and that PP sucked(Thanks Oates you POS hope you fail miserably in Washington!) altogether. I still hope they get rid of Tallinder if not to just open up salary, and cap space to re sign Zajac, and Clarkson.

Old
11-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Couldn't agree more.

Having both Sal and A-Train on our blueline, eating just over 7.4M$ combined, isn't the best way to maximise our cap space/money IMO, especially when we have to resign key players this off season the likes of Zajac/Elias/Zubrus/Clarkson/Zidlicky and a couple of RFA's (but the difference for our RFA's are going to be marginal at best).
Phew. I thought you were going to say "a PMD".

Old
11-27-2012, 03:15 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Where have you been? You been a ghost on here during the lockout! I know how you feel about Volchenkov.

I don't dislike him, but the salary is pretty bad. The no trade clause makes the contract even worse. Zidlicky has been our best offensive threat at the blue line since Rafalski, no doubt about that. He wasn't the same after the Flyers series. I figure something happened to him though. Maybe that hit from Simmonds. That and that PP sucked(Thanks Oates you POS hope you fail miserably in Washington!) altogether. I still hope they get rid of Tallinder if not to just open up salary, and cap space to re sign Zajac, and Clarkson.
I didn't bother posting cause there was zero hockey news to begin with but I've been following alot of QMJHL games and saw a thread about the draft, wich I tend to follow each and every year, so I guess I'm back now

Regarding our blueline, one would think that somewhere down the line, in the next couple of years, guys like Larsson/Gélinas/Merrill/Burlon/etc would get a legit shot at making the team and maybe earning a bigger role as well (talking about Larsson here), wich is why the signing of Sal caught me by surprise... especially the term.

Closed Thread