HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2012, 01:13 PM
  #51
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Highly unlikely. If anything, it may have turned some people off. As was pointed out by one poster, he had a gaggle of little girls crowd his telly when Bieber came on, and then disappeared immediately after. You want something to attract the demographics of people that can become football fans, not little girls after the latest and greatest child star. I think the league and Toronto also have an obligation to the current fans of the game, either attending or watching. The choices for entertainment were nothing but a complete snub to all of these.
Way too much common sense. Yep. At least defer to the tastes of the demographic actually watching the game at home or in the audience.

Half entertainment should be some sort of bonus to fans. Not something you abhor and causes you to want to change the channel or drink more..

Do people commenting in these threads ever go to Grey Cups? I've been to 4 and I can't imagine any pumped up drunk crowd revelling in the moment thinking much about these acts. Really the collective response of the silent audience was what is this ****?
As much as I wasn't a particular fan of Shania Twain, BEP, Nickelback at least you knew some of their songs. At least theres some aspect of their music with some kick and beat to it.

At least the Edmonton Grey Cups had the common sense to feature entertainers like BTO or Shania Twain who's music had at least been heard by most people. As big as Bieber is right now his music is not known or recognizable by anybody that isn't a fan. Jepsen, forget it, Mariana's Trench forget it.

Finally, what made the selection of these 3 acts more inexplainable is they all reflect a similar, if not identical demographic, and one that does not go to, or watch CFL football.

Its a nutbar universe when marketers think that catering to your non audience is the sensible way to go.
This is akin to advertising pablum, baby food, tampons, lego, transformers, and barbie, during the Grey Cup in the hopes that you're reaching some other demographic.

Who would be silly enough to do that. The same logic applies. As Stoneman mentioned anybody tuning into Bieber probably tuned out just as fast.

Finally, most of us are watching at home on bigscreen hdtv's with some pretty decent surround systems and yeah I like to jack up the halftime entertainment and pump up the sound. Even Nickelback, and Shania Twain, even Bep were suitable for this one purpose. This crap sounded like ****. I didn't dare turn it up and wouldn't want to. Insipid, vacant drone music. Music for bees. Not beers.

Replacement is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 01:13 PM
  #52
flashy
Fire Tambellini.
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,471
vCash: 875
somebody needs to make a picture of esk fans getting bent over by ricky ray and the argo's with tillman filming it in the woodshed.

I will make my avatar if somebody makes it

flashy is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 01:32 PM
  #53
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Maybe they were targeting that 9 year girl that is ripping up a league with boys. She's going to be the next big thing and she'll convince the 8-11 year old boys to get into CFL.

Good point. And perhaps it will also promote more awareness of cross dressers and trans-genders and will foster tolerance of this pitied societal group. Something good must come of this.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 01:39 PM
  #54
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Way too much common sense. Yep. At least defer to the tastes of the demographic actually watching the game at home or in the audience.

Half entertainment should be some sort of bonus to fans. Not something you abhor and causes you to want to change the channel or drink more..

Do people commenting in these threads ever go to Grey Cups? I've been to 4 and I can't imagine any pumped up drunk crowd revelling in the moment thinking much about these acts. Really the collective response of the silent audience was what is this ****?
As much as I wasn't a particular fan of Shania Twain, BEP, Nickelback at least you knew some of their songs. At least theres some aspect of their music with some kick and beat to it.

At least the Edmonton Grey Cups had the common sense to feature entertainers like BTO or Shania Twain who's music had at least been heard by most people. As big as Bieber is right now his music is not known or recognizable by anybody that isn't a fan. Jepsen, forget it, Mariana's Trench forget it.

Finally, what made the selection of these 3 acts more inexplainable is they all reflect a similar, if not identical demographic, and one that does not go to, or watch CFL football.

Its a nutbar universe when marketers think that catering to your non audience is the sensible way to go.
This is akin to advertising pablum, baby food, tampons, lego, transformers, and barbie, during the Grey Cup in the hopes that you're reaching some other demographic.

Who would be silly enough to do that. The same logic applies. As Stoneman mentioned anybody tuning into Bieber probably tuned out just as fast.

Finally, most of us are watching at home on bigscreen hdtv's with some pretty decent surround systems and yeah I like to jack up the halftime entertainment and pump up the sound. Even Nickelback, and Shania Twain, even Bep were suitable for this one purpose. This crap sounded like ****. I didn't dare turn it up and wouldn't want to. Insipid, vacant drone music. Music for bees. Not beers.

Shania Twain is actually a very good example. Her music may not be for everyone. As someone on here pointed out, you can't please everybody with taste in music. However, she's female, hot and dresses provocatively. The average person watching this game is male, heterosexual, and 18 and over. Do the math.

The Yanks get it right. This year is Beyonce. Not a child, but a woman, not bad to look at, dresses scantily and whether you like her music or not, it appeals to the broadest range of demographic that watches football. If this sounds chauvenistic, tough. It's the fact.
The little girls are never going to be football fans on their own. The guys you draw in will be the ones bringing them to games, and some gals may get hooked, while others will come for the beer and a night out socially to be seen.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 01:41 PM
  #55
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Shania Twain is actually a very good example. Her music may not be for everyone. As someone on here pointed out, you can't please everybody with taste in music. However, she's female, hot and dresses provocatively. The average person watching this game is male, heterosexual, and 18 and over. Do the math.

The Yanks get it right. This year is Beyonce. Not a child, but a woman, not bad to look at, dresses scantily and whether you like her music or not, it appeals to the broadest range of demographic that watches football. If this sounds chauvenistic, tough. It's the fact.
The little girls are never going to be football fans on their own. The guys you draw in will be the ones bringing them to games, and some gals may get hooked, while others will come for the beer and a night out socially to be seen.
So why not just hire strippers dancing to whatever music is #1 on the charts?

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 01:44 PM
  #56
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So why not just hire strippers dancing to whatever music is #1 on the charts?
Lady Gaga and Madonna were all tied up.

Replacement is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 01:55 PM
  #57
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Way too much common sense. Yep. At least defer to the tastes of the demographic actually watching the game at home or in the audience.
Serious question, why would they do this? Is the crowd that already likes and supports the CFL about to quit watching becaus of the half time show? Or are the gains for the CFL greater by having the biggest act in the world today and potentially gaining new fans by making people tune in before and after the half time show. Just because some and likely most turned their tv on and then off just for the halftime show doesn't mean everyone did. Like I said the core CFL fan didn't quit watching the CFL because of it.

Also the fact that it's still being talked about today and will likely still get talked about for the next bit means that the performance did its job.

Reimer is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 02:12 PM
  #58
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Serious question, why would they do this? Is the crowd that already likes and supports the CFL about to quit watching becaus of the half time show?
I'm sure many stopped watching the halftime show if not more of it. Once you cause people to turn the channel you don't know when, or if, they're coming back.
Look, I go to a gym. They pipe in this insipid music that most people in the gym complain about until the receptionist finally changes to something listenable. Next time you go to the gym exactly the same thing. Why? The 18yr old receptionist doing her nails by the entrance likes this music and could care less whether its even remotely appropriate tempo, beat, jam, for working out. I swear the Gym could sell MP3 players and make a killing. Without one the two hours I spend would seem interminable.

Quote:
Or are the gains for the CFL greater by having the biggest act in the world today and potentially gaining new fans by making people tune in before and after the half time show.
Typically there would be more crossover appeal in a top entertainer. Like in Shania Twain who I mentioned earlier. That theres a higher probability that a cross section of fans of hers would also potentially have interest in the Grey Cup. I just don't see this with Justin Bieber. I'd be surprised if theres any make audience at all for this entertainer.

Quote:
Just because some and likely most turned their tv on and then off just for the halftime show doesn't mean everyone did. Like I said the core CFL fan didn't quit watching the CFL because of it.
Unless you're an Argo fan the first half was bad, the halftime was bad, and the second half was bad. Making me wonder why I bothered to spend the time. If there was anything else on or a hockey game on I'd have stopped watching. The game result was a foregone conclusion in the first quarter for anybody that gets a read on these things.

But overall, and I can't state this enough, it was a mediocre spectacle and disappointing all round. A poor game featuring one team, and another that unravelled quickly, and nothing in the halftime to save or somewhat redeem it. So yeah I think it failed. This being a telecast I would purge immediately from my PVR had I even recorded it.

Quote:
Also the fact that it's still being talked about today and will likely still get talked about for the next bit means that the performance did its job.
This is the sorriest interpretation of art that gets trotted out. Just because people are disgusted by something doesn't mean its good art. Just because people dislike art does not mean its worthy. Although in present day this notion of art as provacateur certainly gets tossed around a lot. We're living in strange times where a "meat dress" is considered high art by some. Doesn't mean it should be on the racks at fashion stores.

Take the Southgate boots. Is this actually good art or something most people would never think of as art and which certainly doesn't warrant a second look except that its in such a high exposure area you can't help but see it once in awhile.


Last edited by Replacement: 11-27-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Replacement is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 02:16 PM
  #59
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm sure many stopped watching the halftime show if not more of it. Once you cause people to turn the channel you don't know when, or if, they're coming back.
Look, I go to a gym. They pipe in this insipid music that most people in the gym complain about until the receptionist finally changes to something listenable. Next time you go to the gym exactly the same thing. Why? The 18yr old receptionist doing her nails by the entrance likes this music and could care less whether its even remotely appropriate tempo, beat, jam, for working out. I swear the Gym could sell MP3 players and make a killing. Without one the two hours I spend would seem interminable.

Typically there would be more crossover appeal in a top entertainer. Like in Shania Twain who I mentioned earlier. That theres a higher probability that a cross section of fans of hers would also potentially have interest in the Grey Cup. I just don't see this with Justin Bieber. I'd be surprised if theres any make audience at all for this entertainer.

Unless you're an Argo fan the first half was bad, the halftime was bad, and the second half was bad. Making me wonder why I bothered to spend the time. If there was anything else on or a hockey game on I'd have stopped watching. The game result was a foregone conclusion in the first quarter for anybody that gets a read on these things.

But overall, and I can't state this enough, it was a mediocre spectacle and disappointing all round. A poor game featuring one team, and another that unravelled quickly, and nothing in the halftime to save it. So yeah I think it failed.

This is the sorriest interpretation of art that gets trotted out. Just because people are disgusted by something doesn't mean its good art. Just because people dislike art does not mean its worthy. Although in present day this notion of art as provacateur certainly gets tossed around a lot.

Take the Southgate boots. Is this actually good art or something most people would never think of as art and which certainly doesn't warrant a second look except that its in such a high exposure area you can't help but see it once in awhile.
It's not good art, it's good advertising. Does anyone really think the halftime show is a show of art?

As for the bolded, I know why. Because you're a fan.

Reimer is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 02:22 PM
  #60
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
It's not good art, it's good advertising. Does anyone really think the halftime show is a show of art?

As for the bolded, I know why. Because you're a fan.
Theres a good chance you're not wrong. I'm just a sucker for these marketing discussions.

I'm an addict for the game. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't expect better entertainment during the game or halftime.

One team was halfbaked and the halftime was halfbaked. Didn't make for great entertainment.

I'm sure the cheerleaders liked it but they'll dance to anything.

Replacement is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 02:29 PM
  #61
Doppler Drift
Registered User
 
Doppler Drift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Theres a good chance you're not wrong. I'm just a sucker for these marketing discussions.

I'm an addict for the game. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't expect better entertainment during the game or halftime.

One team was halfbaked and the halftime was halfbaked. Didn't make for great entertainment.

I'm sure the cheerleaders liked it but they'll dance to anything.
I was fully baked by the end of the first quarter, smoking any more was not going to ease the pain of watching Glenn flounder further. Mute button was engaged after Lightfoot was done.

Doppler Drift is online now  
Old
11-27-2012, 02:33 PM
  #62
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So why not just hire strippers dancing to whatever music is #1 on the charts?
Not a bad idea. But try to tone down the exaggeration a touch. Whether you or I like it or not, the Grey Cup is not a family event. Wonder how many children go to the game or watch it. I didn't watch it as a 10 year old and I'm betting most of the rest of the people on here didn't either. Probably 99.5 % of the audience are adults or at the very least late teens. And most of those are male. If you believe otherwise, I'd be interested how so.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 02:41 PM
  #63
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Serious question, why would they do this? Is the crowd that already likes and supports the CFL about to quit watching becaus of the half time show? Or are the gains for the CFL greater by having the biggest act in the world today and potentially gaining new fans by making people tune in before and after the half time show. Just because some and likely most turned their tv on and then off just for the halftime show doesn't mean everyone did. Like I said the core CFL fan didn't quit watching the CFL because of it.

Also the fact that it's still being talked about today and will likely still get talked about for the next bit means that the performance did its job.
It's being talked about for the wrong reasons though. The reason I watched a bit of the halftime show was more human nature. Morbid curiousity. The same reason you likely slow down to take a look at a horrific car accident or keep watching a T.V program when they warn you to look away. Do you seriously think any of the little girls or boys that like to dress up as girls will become fans of the CFL because of this? Fans become fans because of the product and credibility of an industry. The core CFL fan will still watch the CFL because of the product on the field. But IMHO, the credibility of this league took a bit of a hit because it.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 02:41 PM
  #64
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
I was fully baked by the end of the first quarter, smoking any more was not going to ease the pain of watching Glenn flounder further. Mute button was engaged after Lightfoot was done.
heh

I noted something wrong with Glenn from the word go. So did Hufnagel, so did the commentators. You can just tell when a player is overhyped, overwhelmed, not able to calm down in the moment. If you START a big game like that you have a hard time making things slowdown. It usually ends up being a nightmare. The Tate injury really hurt Calgary. That guy seems to relish hype. Some guys have more trouble dealing with it.

There was a lot said about how long Glenn waited for this moment, couldn't wait to get his chance, but there was nothing all day in his presentation or before game that made it look like he was going to have any good time.

Cornish and Glen never got settled in this one.

I would think Glenn has had a very underwhelming footnote career because he just can't get anything done in the big games. Probably why he's in the CFL but I wouldn't particularly want him as my starting QB.

Strange thing is if Calgary had retained Burris they would have had a much better chance.

Replacement is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 02:43 PM
  #65
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Theres a good chance you're not wrong. I'm just a sucker for these marketing discussions.

I'm an addict for the game. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't expect better entertainment during the game or halftime.

One team was halfbaked and the halftime was halfbaked. Didn't make for great entertainment.

I'm sure the cheerleaders liked it but they'll dance to anything.
The cheerleaders are employees of the team and league at this game. They are instructed to liven up the crowd and show enthusiasm. I'm sure they were bopping around when Lightfoot's corpse was propped up.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 02:57 PM
  #66
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
It's being talked about for the wrong reasons though. The reason I watched a bit of the halftime show was more human nature. Morbid curiousity. The same reason you likely slow down to take a look at a horrific car accident or keep watching a T.V program when they warn you to look away. Do you seriously think any of the little girls or boys that like to dress up as girls will become fans of the CFL because of this? Fans become fans because of the product and credibility of an industry. The core CFL fan will still watch the CFL because of the product on the field. But IMHO, the credibility of this league took a bit of a hit because it.
To be completely honest I don't know. Depends how they develop. How about their parents or siblings or relatives who sat there with them watching the half time show and kept the game on?

So the credibility of the league took a hit. How is that going to affect them from your point of view as in your direct contributions?

I hate to say it guys and play the devils advocate in here but that's the lovely world of advertising that we live in. If you've been that oblivious to it your entire life I'm sorry and don't know what to tell you.

As for the bolded that can easily be answered by the infamous "no publicity is bad publicity." Hell I bet there are people out there who didn't even watch the Grey Cup or halftime show and aren't even fans of Beiber. But once they heard that Beiber played the half-time show possibly thought: "wow I'm surprised the CFL was able to get someone of that caliber to play the half-time show that's pretty impressive actually." For whatever reason that moment may turn into them paying more attention to the CFL and whatnot. It's just the way people work and are wired, people make careers in marketing for a reason.

One thing I can say for sure is that the CFL didn't lose any of its "fans" or fans dollars because of the half-time show.

Reimer is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 03:01 PM
  #67
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Theres a good chance you're not wrong. I'm just a sucker for these marketing discussions.

I'm an addict for the game. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't expect better entertainment during the game or halftime.

One team was halfbaked and the halftime was halfbaked. Didn't make for great entertainment.

I'm sure the cheerleaders liked it but they'll dance to anything.
Oh as a fan you can definitely expect better entertainment for sure. But saying, and I'm not saying you said this, it's stupid and was a poor decision and what not is simply wrong. Having the biggest act in the world at the game will in no way hurt you.

Getting Beiber to play at that game was about as easy of a decision as picking Yakupov or RNH.

Reimer is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 03:10 PM
  #68
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,326
vCash: 500
CFL feeling pumped about latest halftime ratings and trying to expand and diversify market further and improve ratings once again for next year. Rita MacNeil and Ann Murray confirmed for the 101st Grey Cup.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 03:28 PM
  #69
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
In defence of the CFL Beiber was named the 3rd most influential musician currently and played for free. The CFL has already been bragging about how espn and other american channels had CFL coverage for the first time ever

Jamin is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 03:40 PM
  #70
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...
 
April Ethereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,416
vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
CFL feeling pumped about latest halftime ratings and trying to expand and diversify market further and improve ratings once again for next year. Rita MacNeil and Ann Murray confirmed for the 101st Grey Cup.
Who?

April Ethereal is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 03:42 PM
  #71
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
CFL feeling pumped about latest halftime ratings and trying to expand and diversify market further and improve ratings once again for next year. Rita MacNeil and Ann Murray confirmed for the 101st Grey Cup.
Were McNeil and Murray ever the most popular performers in the world?

game...set...match

Reimer is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 03:48 PM
  #72
Six in O6
Registered User
 
Six in O6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Not a bad idea. But try to tone down the exaggeration a touch. Whether you or I like it or not, the Grey Cup is not a family event. Wonder how many children go to the game or watch it. I didn't watch it as a 10 year old and I'm betting most of the rest of the people on here didn't either. Probably 99.5 % of the audience are adults or at the very least late teens. And most of those are male. If you believe otherwise, I'd be interested how so.
I may be an exception but I went to my first Grey Cup when I was 12, watched it (and the Stanley Cup finals) every year on tv since I can remember. There were plenty of kids in Toronto at the game, I was actually surprised since the tickets were pretty expensive. I thought all of the events I attended at Dundas square, Nathan Phillips square and the Metro Convention Centre were pretty family oriented. More so actually than last year in Vancouver. It was more spread out and the city did a great job of embracing it. The parade was also pretty family friendly.

The game itself was a showcase, they did a good job. The game was boring, but it was much bigger than the game. Forty year old men aren't going to enjoy the half time show, but it's not for them. Those butts are going to be in the seats regardless. The kids I saw were mostly rocking Hamilton and Argonaut jerseys, seems like local families really got behind it. Those are just my first hand thoughts, they might not mean much but I think they bring more to the table than broad generalizations do.

Six in O6 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 05:02 PM
  #73
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Who?
google it. Just make sure you have a wide screen monitor to view the image results

nabob is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 05:02 PM
  #74
Arpeggio
Registered User
 
Arpeggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Bieber was the best part of that show, and Beyonce will be great at the Super Bowl. She's actually really good live, she played Glastonbury Festival and did well which is pretty impressive for a pop act, Bieber could never pull that off. And Bieber is one of the most popular musicians in the world, he was a steal for the CFL. Who cares if they're not really singing? It's not a music festival, nor is it designed to make CFL fans out of kids watching the Grey Cup (seriously, what the hell, no one remembers the half-time show for more than a day). It's designed to draw in viewers to that particular game to watch those particular ads, thus increasing revenue.

Old men take pop music way to seriously. Apparently.

Arpeggio is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 06:15 PM
  #75
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...
 
April Ethereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,416
vCash: 907
Rush
Tragically Hip
Three Days Grace
Billy Talent
Alanis Morrisette
Arcade Fire (not my cup of tea, but crazy talented)
Big Wreck
Finger Eleven
Propaghandi
Protest the Hero
Sum 41

A good mix of old and new Canadian acts right there, and all with infinitely more talent in their little fingers than Bieber and Jepsen.

Screw the fake pop BS. They should be promoting true, hard working talent.

I had heard they were considering Van Halen for the Super Bowl. If that's the case, they downgraded badly with Beyonce.

April Ethereal is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.