HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NY Mets/Yankees & Baseball Discussion Thread

Old
10-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
2013 NY Mets/Yankees & Baseball Discussion Thread

Since the season is over for both NY teams, we can start the off season and the new season discussion here.

10-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Riddick

my predicition for both teams in 2013?

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Isles Junkie

Well since it seems obvious that the Mets won't be going into full rebuild mode like I want them to. I sure hope they set their hopes higher than scrubs like Andres Torres.

And for the love of god, bring in a MLB starting catcher, because Thole ain't it.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:57 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

i know everyone is all about the meetings today, and the continued backdoor pounding from mother nature, but the mets and jason bay have agreed to an early expiration on his contract. No $$ details just yet

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:55 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
i know everyone is all about the meetings today, and the continued backdoor pounding from mother nature, but the mets and jason bay have agreed to an early expiration on his contract. No $$ details just yet
Feel bad for him but good riddance. I hope he can land somewhere and regain his touch.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Isles Junkie

Wooohooooooooo no more jason bay.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:26 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Jason Bay seems like a really great guy so I hope he fines another team and is able to do well. The Mets needed to get rid of that contract though.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Renbarg

LOL Marlins. I know they have won two championships in the past 20 years, but how infuriating would it be to be a fan of that team!

Feel bad for Reyes. He'll have a good team in Toronto, but you always got the sense he either wanted to stay in NY or move to Miami (with Miami being close to the DR and all).

I'll have someone to root for in the AL though. I think I've literally watched maybe two AL v AL game in the past 5 years. I just can't take that kind of baseball. NL is where its at.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Isles Junkie

I worry for Joses legs on the turf. But if he can handle it, then he's going to hit 25+ triples a year on the carpet. it should be awesome to see.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I worry for Joses legs on the turf. But if he can handle it, then he's going to hit 25+ triples a year on the carpet. it should be awesome to see.
Good point. They play on a sports turf type of field now including the infield, right? It'll still be a ***** for his legs.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:59 AM
StrongIslanders90

Marlins Fire sale!!!

Granderson, Hughes, and a Pitching prospect for Giancarlo Stanton....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Riddick

I'm actually more pissed at baseball for allowing that piece of **** Loria be an owner than i am at hockey. He makes Wang look like a guy thriving to win at all costs..

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Marlins Fire sale!!!

Granderson, Hughes, and a Pitching prospect for Giancarlo Stanton....
That's not enough, nor is it what the Marlins would want. Why do they want a soon to be FA who will make 18+ million a year? Why would they want Phil Hughes who has been up & down in his career who is arbitration eligible.

The Mets on the other hand can offer them a great package centered around Zach Wheeler, Jon Niese & Brandon Nimmo.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:57 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
That's not enough, nor is it what the Marlins would want. Why do they want a soon to be FA who will make 18+ million a year? Why would they want Phil Hughes who has been up & down in his career who is arbitration eliegible.

The Mets on the other hand can offer them a great package centered around Zach Wheeler, Jon Niese & Brandon Nimmo.
The Mets should not be looking to deal Wheeler. But I agree that Stanton is the perfect guy for the Mets at this time..

Hes everythingthey need, too bad Miami is in thier division...

Grandy can be resigned and I was just more or less throwin Names out there.. Marlins seem to be taking in alot of prospects in all of thier latest trades Yankees have plenty of pitching , catching, and outfield to offer to them.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
The Mets should not be looking to deal Wheeler. But I agree that Stanton is the perfect guy for the Mets at this time..

Grandy can be resigned and I was just more or less throwin Names out there.. Marlins seem to be taking in alot of prospects in all of thier latest trades Yankees have plenty of pitching , catching, and outfield to offer to them.
It would probably take half the Yankees farm system to land him and even then they'd have to add.. I doubt they'd even consider trading him for another 2 years since hes so cheap there's no reason to deal him while he's under team control. They'll surely trade Nolasco this season since hes make almost half their payroll.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
LOL Marlins. I know they have won two championships in the past 20 years, but how infuriating would it be to be a fan of that team!

Feel bad for Reyes. He'll have a good team in Toronto, but you always got the sense he either wanted to stay in NY or move to Miami (with Miami being close to the DR and all).

I'll have someone to root for in the AL though. I think I've literally watched maybe two AL v AL game in the past 5 years. I just can't take that kind of baseball. NL is where its at.
Funny you say that because I can't watch a National League game without wanting to rub hot mustard in my eyes.

Bases loaded with two outs and the pitcher up? Rally over. If the pitchers actually practiced hitting and were good at it then fine but watching a pitcher try to hit is comical. I'd much rather watch a DH hit a ball 450 feet than a pitcher lay down a bunt/strike out looking silly.

And style of game aside, you can't even argue that a vast majority of the best talent in the game is in the American League. Especially now that Pujols and Fielder came over.

To each their own I guess.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Isles Junkie

Old
11-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:

The Marlins have never been adverse to trading within the division. Players the Mets got from the Marlins. Al Leiter, Dennis Cook, Mike Piazza, Paul LoDuca, Carlos Delgado.

They've also traded Dan Uggla & Cliff Floyd to other NL East teams. I'm sure there's also other players traded within the division. They don't give a damn.

As good a prospect as Wheeler is, if you can get a beast like Stanton, then you do it. Stanton would be a star like Mike Piazza was. Only difference is, Stanton is 23 and Mike was 29 when he first got here.

Wright-Stanton-Davis 3-5 for the next 10 years sounds awful good to me. The Wilpons want to get back on the fans side? They want to create a buzz? They want fans to fill the seats? You make Wheeler available in the mean time.

Old
11-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:

I'm not the biggest baseball fan but R.A. is an incredible story. Came out of nowhere late in career,
kind of like Roy Hobbs in "The Natural."

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Funny you say that because I can't watch a National League game without wanting to rub hot mustard in my eyes.

Bases loaded with two outs and the pitcher up? Rally over. If the pitchers actually practiced hitting and were good at it then fine but watching a pitcher try to hit is comical. I'd much rather watch a DH hit a ball 450 feet than a pitcher lay down a bunt/strike out looking silly.

And style of game aside, you can't even argue that a vast majority of the best talent in the game is in the American League. Especially now that Pujols and Fielder came over.

To each their own I guess.
There is no denying that the AL has superior talent..

But like you said to each their own cause I absolutely love National League baseball and am not a fan of the DH at all.. Just my opinion that it should be played the old school way where all 9 fielders have to man the plate as well. I'm not adverse to watching AL games though, I really love watching the game and have been to many AL stadiums and games.

A huge congrats to RA Dickey as a huge fan of him and the knuckleball and I couldn't be more happy tonight. My favorite aspect of the game is pitching, there's nothing more I love then going to the park and watching a dominant performance and to have been able to watch every single one of his starts this season has been so freaking awesome.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:03 AM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
I'm actually more pissed at baseball for allowing that piece of **** Loria be an owner than i am at hockey. He makes Wang look like a guy thriving to win at all costs..
Seriously. He's now destroyed baseball in two CITIES by scorching the earth so no one will ever be a fan again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
There is no denying that the AL has superior talent..
But like you said to each their own cause I absolutely love National League baseball and am not a fan of the DH at all.. Just my opinion that it should be played the old school way where all 9 fielders have to man the plate as well. I'm not adverse to watching AL games though, I really love watching the game and have been to many AL stadiums and games.
AL has the superior talent (kinda) because they can offer more than the NL can in free agency:

-- They have an extra starter in the lineup, which allows them to get more big hitters.
The Yankees could sign Teixiera while they had Giambi on the books for another couple years, because one can DH.
The Red Sox could trade for Gonzalez while they had Ortiz and Youkilis, because Youk could play 3B and Ortiz can DH.
But the Phillies traded Jim Thome when Ryan Howard came up. If they were an AL team, they could have kept both.
And the Nationals traded Josh Willingham because they had Werth, Morse and Harper in the OF.

-- They can add more years to win the free agent bidding wars, because they have the DH as an option.
Albert Pujols getting 10 years? Cardinals can't make that commitment, an AL team like the Angels can.
Prince Fielder, who's not the most mobile of 1B? Not getting a 9-year deal from an NL team.

I am in the "hate the DH" camp, but as a realist, it's not going away and the rules should be the same for the entire sport. I'd rather see the NL add the DH than keep losing free agents. A Yankee fan opened my eyes: "I understand your point, because I'm a purist… but you wouldn't feel that way about the DH if you saw Piazza DH 80 games and be fresh enough in September to rake, help you catch the Braves, and not miss the playoffs in 1998 and 2001."

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:18 AM
Renbarg

I have no delusions. I know the AL has superior talent. I just prefer NL baseball. Its more exciting. You have to actually think far more than in the AL game where you are essentially penciling a lineup and letting things fall where they may.

I also like the fact that an NL game will almost always be over before the 3 hour mark. That's not the case with the AL.

And yes, the DH is a copout imo. I hope that the NL never adopts it.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Bunk Moreland

Yanks are on verge of re-signing Pettite and Mariano..

Mets and Dickey extension talks have hit a stalemate.. Offer made Dickey then countered and hasn't heard back yet and today said he will not negotiate in season. But it is probably because Mets are busy hopefully signing Wright.

Cause according to Heyman Mets have made a 7 year $135-140mil offer to David that would kick in after this season.. I really hope they get this done. This deal should end up making him a Met for life which is something they didn't have with Seaver and would just be a good step for this franchise...

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...-and-135m-plus

Old
11-27-2012, 04:18 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
The Marlins have never been adverse to trading within the division. Players the Mets got from the Marlins. Al Leiter, Dennis Cook, Mike Piazza, Paul LoDuca, Carlos Delgado.

They've also traded Dan Uggla & Cliff Floyd to other NL East teams. I'm sure there's also other players traded within the division. They don't give a damn.

As good a prospect as Wheeler is, if you can get a beast like Stanton, then you do it. Stanton would be a star like Mike Piazza was. Only difference is, Stanton is 23 and Mike was 29 when he first got here.

Wright-Stanton-Davis 3-5 for the next 10 years sounds awful good to me. The Wilpons want to get back on the fans side? They want to create a buzz? They want fans to fill the seats? You make Wheeler available in the mean time.
The Mets need a big time outfielder Bad

Old
11-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
The Mets need a big time outfielder Bad
The Mets need 3 outfielders a catcher and some bullpen help.. Is that too much to ask for? They cannot go into this season with an outfield of Baxter/Kirk/Duda cause if they do it will be an absolutely pathetic outcome. I'm so sick of Thole any one would be an upgrade.. But as we all know they won't do anything except extend Wright and maybe Dickey and call it a day.