Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Cutting Cable - Watching Bruins online in Boston

Old
11-27-2012, 09:14 AM
JaredOnly

vCash: 500
Cutting Cable - Watching Bruins online in Boston

I apologize if this has been discussed. I feel as if it must have been, but I didn't find anything after a quick search.

I am about to cancel my cable subscription, but my one big hold out is worrying about watching the Bruins - assuming there is a hockey season at some point. I know Center Ice is awesome if you live outside of the local broadcast zone, but are there any options for watching the Bruins online in HD from Boston? (Unless I read wrong, I think the Bruins would be blacked out on Center Ice in Boston). Ideally it would be a season subscription service.

Thanks! I appreciate any advice from others in similar situations.

JaredOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:52 AM
goalieman40

I was actually going to post a topic for the same reason.

I know you can get NHL Gamecenter Live to stream, and you can get that on your TV with a PS3 or Roku Box, possibly certain Bluray players too. I don't know what the price is since it does not list any information currently with the lockout, but it said you can do month-to-month or a season subscription.

From what I gather though this is probably the best and maybe only option, unless someone knows something more. I'd love to know more as well!

goalieman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Gamecenter Live also blacks out any games for a team whose broadcast area you're in. There are of course ways to trick it, but they wouldn't be without additional cost in either money or performance issues.

There's also hockeystreams.com, which ignores these details, but you may or may not have ethical or legal issues with paying for pirated streams. I don't really recommend it.

Bottom line is NESN has exclusive broadcast rights within their area.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:32 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry View Post
Gamecenter Live also blacks out any games for a team whose broadcast area you're in. There are of course ways to trick it, but they wouldn't be without additional cost in either money or performance issues.

There's also hockeystreams.com, which ignores these details, but you may or may not have ethical or legal issues with paying for pirated streams. I don't really recommend it.

I've used hockeystreams before.. It seems to skip a lot and at times can be annoying. But if ya don't have cable its the best outcome. Plus it won't show jack edwards (a plus in my book) and will circumvent paying jj.. so its a big win.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:35 AM
goalieman40

awe man! That was my only hope! What's the normal cost for Gamecenter Live anyway?

goalieman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieman40 View Post
awe man! That was my only hope! What's the normal cost for Gamecenter Live anyway?
Last time I looked, it was about the same as Center Ice. About $169/yr?

Old
11-27-2012, 03:36 PM
JaredOnly

Thanks for the replies everyone. Too bad NESN is behind the times. I would gladly pay them directly for the chance to watch the Bruins - I am just not giving my money to a cable company anymore. Oh well, one less customer and I guess I will have to deal with watching however I can.

Last edited by JaredOnly: 11-27-2012 at 04:01 PM.
JaredOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry View Post

Buyer beware. I paid for that service for the season (a few years ago) and couldn't get it to work. The company did not help.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Buyer beware. I paid for that service for the season (a few years ago) and couldn't get it to work. The company did not help.
Not really a surprise, as they're hardly legitimate.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:56 PM
ODAAT

I must have been a lucky one with HockeyStreams, never had one issue, loved the option to watch the game when I got home late from work, never had problems receiving feeds etc.....

Bottom line, I'm a cheap SOB and a devoted free loadin streamer so I didn't renew

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 06:01 PM
RussellmaniaKW

given the state of the NHL I'm not inclined to pay for center ice for a 4th year in a row at this point, especially not knowing if they plan to pro-rate it in the event of a shortened season. In the past I have just torrented games. I don't know if that can be discussed here, but feel free to PM me about it. Only problem is that you typically end up watching the game a day late, which means if you live in the new england area it will be really hard to avoid spoilers.

RussellmaniaKW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

It's been a long long time and it's going to be really hard but I had said if there was going to be a lockout I was done with my Center Ice package. I called Bell and unsubscribed. I will not be getting beck, i'll keep my 200$ for other things they're not getting another penny from me. I'll watch the games against the Habs, TSN and CBC that's it for me, 20 games a year more or less not including playoffs which is all on TV

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Winnwell Cooperalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
It's been a long long time and it's going to be really hard but I had said if there was going to be a lockout I was done with my Center Ice package. I called Bell and unsubscribed. I will not be getting beck, i'll keep my 200$ for other things they're not getting another penny from me. I'll watch the games against the Habs, TSN and CBC that's it for me, 20 games a year more or less not including playoffs which is all on TV
Pretty much this^ I'm giving this lockout another week, then I'm phoning Bell to cancel my Center Ice subscription.

Winnwell Cooperalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:47 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
I did hockeystreams 2 years ago when I was traveling a lot and it was nice for the 25 or so games where I was not in the area and could watch on the computer. I was living in Philadelphia last season and went with hockeystreams again and they had changed their feeds, which ended up being a nightmare, so I got center ice. Of course, hockeystreams wouldn't give me a refund, and in addition to Center Ice, I had to get NHL network for the games that were broadcast with them, and NBC Sports Network for the games broadcast on that channel, and you still have to have NBC for the Sunday afternoon games. Oh, and none of the games on center ice were in HD. Long story short, they've got you by the balls.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote