HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs [10-15-3] & Wheeling Nailers 2012-2013 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 04:51 PM
SeriousFan09

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Well hockey is more popular than ever. Not really comparable to teams from pre lockout.
The Habs sellout record means they are popular, doesn't mean lower-tier hockey will be. Habs AHL affiliate in Quebec has been tried twice already and I would add, the Sherbrooke affiliate was around when the Habs were actually a good team.

Old
11-26-2012, 05:22 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousFan09 View Post
The Habs sellout record means they are popular, doesn't mean lower-tier hockey will be. Habs AHL affiliate in Quebec has been tried twice already and I would add, the Sherbrooke affiliate was around when the Habs were actually a good team.
Sherbrooke is a bandwagon city, when the team was good (with Roy, Richer and company) the Palais-des-Sports was packed. Laval is the 3rd biggest city in Québec, the minor hockey leagues there are filled and lots of good players come out of that area. I'm not too worried about the tickets.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
I still argue that even 2001 isn't comparable to today, and Sherbrooke was around in the 80s. The team isn't exactly flourishing in Hamilton are they?

I'm not arguing for a move, but those past situations have almost no relevance. I'm trying to Google those teams to find out more but I can't find any articles detailing their struggles.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Beerbeerhockey

Hamilton Bulldogs Recall Stefan Chaput

http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/pres...article_id=147

Old
11-26-2012, 08:12 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

The Bulldogs called up Stefan Chaput from the ECHL Wheeling Nailers. He is a center and is third in scoring.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Beerbeerhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
The Bulldogs called up Stefan Chaput from the ECHL Wheeling Nailers. He is a center and is third in scoring.
I posted a thread about it with a link to the official release.

I don't know much about him so not sure how much he's gonna help, in 15 games he's got 3g, 6a.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:01 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbeerhockey View Post
I posted a thread about it with a link to the official release.

I don't know much about him so not sure how much he's gonna help, in 15 games he's got 3g, 6a.
Ya i would of rather have Fortier called up but I think he will just be replacing Stortini or Hagel, Possibly Natinen might be injured.

Chaput is a grinder, he likes to hit and drive the net but I don't know if he fights a lot, which may be a good thing. I would expect him to be on the 4th line. I guess you can say he is similar to what Boyce does...or is suppose to do.

Last edited by canadiensnation: 11-26-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 09:31 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
The Laval Canadiens in 2015 should be a viable entity and an affordable Pro AHL team. The Habs keeping their prospects close and giving the hockey mad fans a chance to buy season tickets to the 2nd best team in town,considering the Habs tickets have to be willed to people.With Bergevin as the GM,Geoff Molson's interest in the Habs the AHL counterpart will thrive like the Nova Scotia team did with Sam Pollock and Hartland Molson in the late 50's and 60's.The Molson family being the Sponsor of Hockey Night in Canada and Hartland,the Molson that helped build the Habs into a team capable of breaking Detroit's grip as the hockey power at the time.Geoff seems to have that type of investment in Quebec and the sport of hockey in Canada as well.Laval is in for some great hockey in the very near future.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:47 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Ya i would of rather have Fortier called up but I think he will just be replacing Stortini or Hagel, Possibly Natinen might be injured.

Chaput is a grinder, he likes to hit and drive the net but I don't know if he fights a lot, which may be a good thing. I would expect him to be on the 4th line. I guess you can say he is similar to what Boyce does...or is suppose to do.
From what I've seen at the 'Dogs camp here in Sherbrooke, he's the complete opposite of what you've described, but that's a small sample. He looked to me like a talented guy, who is shy along the boards. Good speed, but very small frame. To quote MAG, it's a numbers game for Chaput.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:38 AM
SeriousFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Sherbrooke is a bandwagon city, when the team was good (with Roy, Richer and company) the Palais-des-Sports was packed. Laval is the 3rd biggest city in Québec, the minor hockey leagues there are filled and lots of good players come out of that area. I'm not too worried about the tickets.
I just don't don't see the Bulldogs (or whatever they get renamed) as being able to really compete against Montreal as they will often play on the same nights. I think you overestimate the quality of the AHL that it will be a significant enough draw. Doubtful it's a 20$ ticket to watch and if Geoff Molson is in on it, prepare for at least 8$ beers.

I don't think the team becomes a financial sinkhole, but I think they will be a middling team for attendence at best. And if a lot of good players come out of the area, IMO it makes more sense to revive a Laval QMJHL team, we are kind of suckers for hometown talent in Quebec so if you have a local team with local boys, might do just as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I still argue that even 2001 isn't comparable to today, and Sherbrooke was around in the 80s. The team isn't exactly flourishing in Hamilton are they?

I'm not arguing for a move, but those past situations have almost no relevance. I'm trying to Google those teams to find out more but I can't find any articles detailing their struggles.
I just don't see this explosion of hockey-mad fans in the last decade that bridges the gap to make a Laval AHL team a huge attraction. Maybe I'm not that observant on the matter but I just don't see it. Lower tier hockey does best where there are no big competitors in the area.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:56 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
I just don't don't see the Bulldogs (or whatever they get renamed) as being able to really compete against Montreal as they will often play on the same nights. I think you overestimate the quality of the AHL that it will be a significant enough draw. Doubtful it's a 20$ ticket to watch and if Geoff Molson is in on it, prepare for at least 8$ beers.

I don't think the team becomes a financial sinkhole, but I think they will be a middling team for attendence at best. And if a lot of good players come out of the area, IMO it makes more sense to revive a Laval QMJHL team, we are kind of suckers for hometown talent in Quebec so if you have a local team with local boys, might do just as well.
AHL games are mostly on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. For example, they could put the games on Saturday at 4PM so it doesn't conflict with the Habs' game, and Fridays and Sundays shouldn't be problems.

Yes the place might not always be fully packed but at least the team will be in habs territory, I sure as hell wouldn't go see the marlies play in Laval, for example. Habs fans who can't afford Bell Centre tickets will see a good alternative in that, seeing the future habs and stuff. Makes much more sense IMO than in the suburb of Toronto.

Last edited by QuebecPride: 11-27-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old
11-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Rikiki Bousquet

I think the big difference between the possible Laval adventure and the precedents is that Laval offers more than only one city from which the fanbase might come.

Being situated between Montreal and the very rich north shore cities, it can actually draw fans from many places.

The Place Bell will also be built near two highways and a metro.

Maybe it's because I come from Laval, but I think the project is a very good idea.

ps : The only thing that would suck is that, in order for us to get the team, Hamilton fans will have to lose it :S.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:42 AM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Quote:
From what I've seen at the 'Dogs camp here in Sherbrooke, he's the complete opposite of what you've described, but that's a small sample. He looked to me like a talented guy, who is shy along the boards. Good speed, but very small frame. To quote MAG, it's a numbers game for Chaput.
Yep i knew i wasn't accurate, i think the last time i saw him in a game, played like 5mins and was just a 4th liner, so he probably changed a bit.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikiki Bousquet View Post
ps : The only thing that would suck is that, in order for us to get the team, Hamilton fans will have to lose it :S.
I don't think you'd have to worry too much there... Hamilton has a venue and history such that they'd probably get a new affiliation pretty quickly. Maybe one that is a little more neutral for the area fanbase than the affiliation with the Habs, which has never been a really popular fit overall.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:20 AM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't think you'd have to worry too much there... Hamilton has a venue and history such that they'd probably get a new affiliation pretty quickly. Maybe one that is a little more neutral for the area fanbase than the affiliation with the Habs, which has never been a really popular fit overall.
no other team is really close....Toronto has the Marlies in town and the Sens have Binghamton which is pretty much the same distance if not closer.

But i still think they'll get a NHL team one day.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:44 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Just a thought about Lake Erie Monsters LW Patrick Bordeleau he really is a monster 6'6" and 240 lbs.he might look good in a Bulldog uniform and he's from Montreal as well.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
no other team is really close....Toronto has the Marlies in town and the Sens have Binghamton which is pretty much the same distance if not closer.
I'm not sure the Sens would be much of a better fit in terms of neutrality to the fanbase either. The new NHL team in Markham would be a great fit. But also just about any other non-Habs affiliation would be better too. "Neutral" doesn't mean it has to be the Leafs' team, that would be way above "neutral". I thought maybe things were a bit more popular when the Oilers were there, but I could be wrong, didn't pay any real attention except for the share. I have no idea what other AHL teams have leases coming up or might be candidates to move, however. But I'd think if things did align, Hamilton would be a top place for any such team to move to.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Laval they would shun hockey to go watch football.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Laval they would shun hockey to go watch football.
The City of Laval is not where the Rouge & Or are playing. R&O represents l'Université Laval located in Quebec City.

Old
11-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Maybe the habs don't care that much about the Bulldogs in Laval being that much profitable or not. Maybe they think having their prospects right here with the big team is more important than anything. Just speculating.

Old
11-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Maybe the habs don't care that much about the Bulldogs in Laval being that much profitable or not. Maybe they think having their prospects right here with the big team is more important than anything. Just speculating.
I don't see why that would matter. The only team with an AHL affiliate in the same city is the Leafs - how's that working out for player development?

Moving the team to Laval will only happen if its economically viable.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:03 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I don't see why that would matter. The only team with an AHL affiliate in the same city is the Leafs - how's that working out for player development?

nvm.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:31 PM
DAChampion

Does Michael Andlauer become owner of the Laval affiliate?

Old
11-27-2012, 05:42 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

It's actually not working bad for the Leafs.

A move for Laval would simplify logistics for the Canadiens. Bergevin and co. could monitor players more easily. The AHL players would become acclimated to the Montreal atmosphere and have more interaction with the NHL players. The players would probably also have access to the training facilities, training staff and medical staff used by the parent club.

The Canadiens might be willing to subsidize the team a little more given some of those benefits.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:05 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
It's actually not working bad for the Leafs.

A move for Laval would simplify logistics for the Canadiens. Bergevin and co. could monitor players more easily. The AHL players would become acclimated to the Montreal atmosphere and have more interaction with the NHL players. The players would probably also have access to the training facilities, training staff and medical staff used by the parent club.

The Canadiens might be willing to subsidize the team a little more given some of those benefits.
How could you forget the most important difference?

Reducing the odds of another Sergei Kostitsyn type situation where a player misses a flight

Closed Thread