11-27-2012, 03:58 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
if Taker beats Punk at Mania...then retires on top...theeeennnnnnnnnnnn we get King of the Ring tourneyment for Title!!!!
If so... I wouldn't mind longer KOTR matches. Like.. decently long qualifying matches and then a good long tournament. I hate when they rush it and it's like 3 minute matches and boring.

Old
11-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

can i just say how frustrating it is that Wrestling Observer has made basically everything a paid link now...need to find a new news source...

Old
11-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Dean Ambrose
k

vCash: 133
- The company was said to be very satisfied with both Ryback and The Shield's promos on Raw. The feeling regarding the Shield is that Dean Ambrose is the group's best talkerand Roman Reigns looked like a star, but that Seth Rollins still needs to improve his mic work.

PWInsider

Old
11-27-2012, 05:35 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Its funny watching Ryback as a character. They're promoting him in the same way as Goldberg as an unstoppable super heavyweight killer, but when he was in the ring with Cena he looks average sized, last night he was the much smaller man. I'm just not buying that he has those advantages.

He might look big against Punk because Punk isn't overly muscled, but if the expected Ryback vs Lesner feud ever takes place my guy tells me that Ryback will look like a middle weight.

I think they should have kept him as a brooding silent killer, I was rolling my eyes with the promo that he did last night.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Dean Ambrose
k

I was rolling my eyes when people said he gave off a Stone Cold vibe.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:45 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
- The company was said to be very satisfied with both Ryback and The Shield's promos on Raw. The feeling regarding the Shield is that Dean Ambrose is the group's best talkerand Roman Reigns looked like a star, but that Seth Rollins still needs to improve his mic work.

PWInsider
I thought Roman Reigns came off as a guy who they simply arent comfortable putting a mic in front of.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:50 PM
The Shockmaster
AKA SheamusFan

vCash: 450
Quote:
He did. I'm not saying he's nearly as good as Austin on the mic, though.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:52 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Security guys from the segment with Ryback

Quote:
Luke Hawx (who has been appearing for the new Extreme Rising promotion), Byron Wilcott and Matt Lancy were the security guards featured on Raw last night in Layfayette.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:59 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
I was just plain rolling my eyes. At first I didn't believe the people when they said that the "Feed Me More" chant was being piped in, but after last night, I believe it.

I was willing to give Ryback a chance, and tried to stay with him longer than most on this board...but now, I'm over it, he doesn't deserve to be headling PPV's with the Best In The World.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:59 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
The Rock is leading The Shield. The Shield is protecting Punk until the Rumble so Rock can have Punk all to himself.

That would be pretty awesome. They could protect Punk, while at the same time do other angles which involve them being faces. It would confuse the hell outta people.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:00 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I thought Roman Reigns came off as a guy who they simply arent comfortable putting a mic in front of.
I thought the same. I thought Rollins looked solid, if unspectacular (though it didn't help being next to Ambrose) and that Reigns seemed a bit stiff, but nothing that some practice couldn't fix.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:21 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
The Rock is leading The Shield. The Shield is protecting Punk until the Rumble so Rock can have Punk all to himself.

Rock did it for Rikishi....and Rikishi did it for The Rock....

Old
11-27-2012, 08:28 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
Rock did it for Rikishi....and Rikishi did it for The Rock....
They need to bring back x on a pole matches.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
I don't see how Rock is losing at the Rumble. You don't end a promo like he did and set it up with a title shot 6 months before the event and have him job. What would be the point for The Rock? I don't think Rock would have a big problem if the script changed since he's never been that kind of guy but it just doesn't make much sense other than Rock-Punk with Rock winning and then losing the title in a triple-threat at WrestleMania.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:41 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
When will Rock return? Will he return before the Rumble?

Old
11-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Dean Ambrose
k

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
When will Rock return? Will he return before the Rumble?
i think it was brought up somewhere that his movie schedule will only allow him to appear twice before the Royal Rumble (live), appear at the Rumble and appear on the Raw after the Rumble. He's confirmed for 2/18/12 Raw, which I think is the first Raw that begins the Road to WrestleMania full on.

I never thought I was a bad person. I just thought I was the one good person living in a world of bad people.
Old
11-27-2012, 09:54 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
i think it was brought up somewhere that his movie schedule will only allow him to appear twice before the Royal Rumble (live), appear at the Rumble and appear on the Raw after the Rumble. He's confirmed for 2/18/12 Raw, which I think is the first Raw that begins the Road to WrestleMania full on.
Thanks.

I am prety interested in RAW. It's a good time too because I am winding down my schooling.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:06 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Well so far, the already confirmed.

Quote:
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is now being advertised for the 2/18 WWE Monday Night Raw taping in Lafayette, Louisiana. As reported on earlier, Rock is also being advertised for the 1/28 Raw in Las Vegas the night after the Royal Rumble PPV.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:36 PM
This
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I don't see how Rock is losing at the Rumble. You don't end a promo like he did and set it up with a title shot 6 months before the event and have him job. What would be the point for The Rock? I don't think Rock would have a big problem if the script changed since he's never been that kind of guy but it just doesn't make much sense other than Rock-Punk with Rock winning and then losing the title in a triple-threat at WrestleMania.
Alternatively, they could have the Rock win at RR and retain at WM. This could create a situation where fans and superstars become infuriated by the lack of a visible champion. Which would allow for the creation of a total management versus superstars feud, giving the superstars the chance to 'run the show' by being vigilantes. Giving the fans an unpredictable, 'orderless' show - effectively allowing the audience to feel a bigger part of the show as they will feel the superstars have their back. It would make for a must watch product as well (if done right).

Last edited by This: 11-27-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old
11-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by This View Post
Alternatively, they could have the Rock win at RR and retain at WM. This could create a situation where fans and superstars become infuriated by the lack of a visible champion. Which would allow for the creation of a total management versus superstars feud, giving the superstars the chance to 'run the show' by being vigilantes. Giving the fans an unpredictable, 'orderless' show - effectively allowing the audience to feel a bigger part of the show.
As good an idea as that may be and there have been plenty among the people that are involved in this thread, this is the same group of people (WWE creative) that have a fundamental problem with wrestlers getting themselves over by being themselves. The same group of people that pretty much try to sabotage the ones that do get over by watering them down and/or cutting their angles short.

This group will do what it can to maximize the payday for the company using what it has available to them. Chances are it will be a very simplistic approach. Rock wins the title at the Rumble and they find a way to get both Cena and Punk in the title match at Wrestlemania then have one beat the other so Rock doesn't take the loss but get the strap off him. I won't discount the possibility of Rock putting Cena or Punk over losing the belt to them but I don't think creative wants to go that way.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:58 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Alternatively, they could have the Rock win at RR and retain at WM. This could create a situation where fans and superstars become infuriated by the lack of a visible champion. Which would allow for the creation of a total management versus superstars feud, giving the superstars the chance to 'run the show' by being vigilantes. Giving the fans an unpredictable, 'orderless' show - effectively allowing the audience to feel a bigger part of the show as they will feel the superstars have their back. It would make for a must watch product as well (if done right).
I like your approach to the show. An audience that feels they are a bigger part of the show is important and comes across on tv very well. Example - Stone Cold standing up to his boss. That made us all buy in as if he was standing up to our boss.

It's a crazy idea that would probably never happen, but (if done right) would be a huge ratings boost.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Rock should only get the belt if he's going to put over a young up and comer...dropping it back to Punk or to Cena does nothing for me and IMO nothing for the belt itself...

Old
11-27-2012, 11:18 PM
This
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
As good an idea as that may be and there have been plenty among the people that are involved in this thread, this is the same group of people (WWE creative) that have a fundamental problem with wrestlers getting themselves over by being themselves. The same group of people that pretty much try to sabotage the ones that do get over by watering them down and/or cutting their angles short.

This group will do what it can to maximize the payday for the company using what it has available to them. Chances are it will be a very simplistic approach. Rock wins the title at the Rumble and they find a way to get both Cena and Punk in the title match at Wrestlemania then have one beat the other so Rock doesn't take the loss but get the strap off him. I won't discount the possibility of Rock putting Cena or Punk over losing the belt to them but I don't think creative wants to go that way.
I agree. I only recently started watching wrestling again after a ~6 year hiatus (I think I stopped watching around the time Bischoff got canned as GM of Raw). I have noticed that the product is lacking really solid storylines. The return of Heyman is most intriguing. (I remember watching an interview where he made it apparent that he would only be involved as a performer if there was potential for him to do something big)

That notion, which you also eluded to, is what I see to be the biggest issue right now. As you said, creative doesn't allow for superstars to put themselves over, and punishes them for doing so (eg. Titus this week). This is because ego seemingly runs the business (more than ever). I would say it's a classic case of the writer(s) (or Vince) not allowing the product to evolve naturally. This may come from the mentality that the performers are athletes, and not educated on the product. Who knows.

I think what has been lost in all this is that wrestlers (for the most part) are also fans of the industry, and grew up with it. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be used as assets by the writers, but as props; the audience and product suffer.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:13 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
Rock should only get the belt if he's going to put over a young up and comer...dropping it back to Punk or to Cena does nothing for me and IMO nothing for the belt itself...
Rock may not do anything for the belt but there's really nothing that can happen at this upcoming Wrestlemania that will do anything for the belt. Punk has held it for a year and the belt has been publicly acknowledged as irrelevant. If Cena wins it, it's another reign in a long line of WWE title reigns. If Rock wins it, it's the same thing to a lesser extent but with much fewer appearances overall.

The reality is that until the writers start doing a better job of enhancing their talent to create the illusion of competition and the illusion of the title being the holy grail, the title will remain meaningless. There were three, arguably four, times where Punk could have dropped the title to improve the stock of another talent and/or improved the belt's status and it didn't happen. There is enough talent in the room to make the belt meaningful again like it was in the Attitude Era when Rock, Austin, HHH, Angle, Taker, Show, Jericho, and Foley were all legitimate championship contenders and could transition storylines from a pair of talents to another pair to keep it fresh and last for months.

Considering the state of the company and the show, nothing can save the belt except for a long road that starts after Wrestlemania creating the illusion of legitimate competition for the belt. Until then, you go with your biggest draw and get the biggest payday you can. That likely involves The Rock as champion. That's what the people want and will pay very good money to see.

Quote:
I agree. I only recently started watching wrestling again after a ~6 year hiatus (I think I stopped watching around the time Bischoff got canned as GM of Raw). I have noticed that the product is lacking really solid storylines. The return of Heyman is most intriguing. (I remember watching an interview where he made it apparent that he would only be involved as a performer if there was potential for him to do something big)

That notion, which you also eluded to, is what I see to be the biggest issue right now. As you said, creative doesn't allow for superstars to put themselves over, and punishes them for doing so (eg. Titus this week). This is because ego seemingly runs the business (more than ever). I would say it's a classic case of the writer(s) (or Vince) not allowing the product to evolve naturally. This may come from the mentality that the performers are athletes, and not educated on the product. Who knows.

I think what has been lost in all this is that wrestlers (for the most part) are also fans of the industry, and grew up with it. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be used as assets by the writers, but as props; the audience and product suffer.
Part of the problem is that the formula for writing stories for their main eventers and champions is pure garbage. They will occasionally put quality talent in the ring with their top guys like Cena and Punk. Then when it gets to the blow-off point where you can launch a guy's career and add someone into the main event picture, they send them packing.

There was nothing hotter this year than Daniel Bryan after Wrestlemania and they threw him in the WWE title picture and had him lose. No residual positive affect to that feud that put on some of the greatest matches in a long time that would have propelled both guys if they had let them do a little back and forth with the title.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias026 View Post
Im liking this alot more then Nexus story.

Every week its making me want to see what happens next week.
Its pretty obvious what happens next. They beat down whoever the threat to Punk is.

Closed Thread