HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

VERY OT: Heads up for those needing an e-test next year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-24-2012, 08:55 AM
  #1
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!
 
Fenix Rises 2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,048
vCash: 500
VERY OT: Heads up for those needing an e-test next year

WAY OT, but this is a good heads up that might save some people here a few hundred dollars next year.

(Mods feel free to delete this if you want).

Just found out that all cars due for an e-test next year will have to do it on a new harder test (using the car's on board diagnostics system) instead of the existing testing system. The new test is apparently failing three or four times more cars than the old one, and if you fail you'll be on the hook for getting repairs done up to $450. Apparently, until Jan 1 you can still get a free re-test under the old system if you fail on their new system. Since the e-tests last for a while before expiring, some of you can get them done this year under the easier test, and they'll still be valid next year when you go to renew.


I just got my car's e-test and I lucked out. My check engine light was on, so I cleared it myself with my own personal OBD2 reader right before the test. Under the new system, clearing the engine codes causes the car to instantly fail the test, since the computer isn't ready. Luckily, I was allowed to redo the test under the old system. My car went from guaranteed fail based on my computer's read-out (check engine light = fail), to passing with flying colours under the old system based on my car's actual measured emissions.

How ridiculous is that? Anyways, sorry about the off-topic post, but hope i can save somebody here a few hundred bucks by getting them to consider getting their test done early.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:29 PM
  #2
Alfieghetti
inflamed
 
Alfieghetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 779
vCash: 500
Bruv, just get a newer car!

Alfieghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:40 PM
  #3
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
Instead of trying to cheat a system that will improve air quality you should invest the money to make your car socially responsible, or just junk it and ride a bike.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:18 PM
  #4
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala
 
mat_sens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,586
vCash: 10639
If your car's check engine light is on, you shouldn't pass (Although I did the same thing you did when I passed the test this year. I did spend money to repair it afterwards). If the check engine light is on, there is a good chance you're emissions are affected.

mat_sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 06:03 PM
  #5
HappyDude
Classless
 
HappyDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,096
vCash: 500
Can the OP give any source for this info about the change?




Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
Instead of trying to cheat a system that will improve air quality you should invest the money to make your car socially responsible, or just junk it and ride a bike.
Not a problem for a rich urbanite to buy a new car or ride their bicycles to the birkenstock store, but it doesn't really work for those of us who can't afford a new car or a brownstone downtown. Besides this e-test is nothing more than a money grab by the province that punishes the poor.

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 06:14 PM
  #6
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala
 
mat_sens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,586
vCash: 10639
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
Can the OP give any source for this info about the change?
Just check the Ministry of transport website.

Basically, your car won't go on the Dyno anymore. They just plug in something in your car and it tells them if its up to standars.

mat_sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:15 PM
  #7
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!
 
Fenix Rises 2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,048
vCash: 500
Some more info on this:
http://www.wheels.ca/news/get-cracki...void-a-retest/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
Instead of trying to cheat a system that will improve air quality you should invest the money to make your car socially responsible, or just junk it and ride a bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
If your car's check engine light is on, you shouldn't pass (Although I did the same thing you did when I passed the test this year. I did spend money to repair it afterwards). If the check engine light is on, there is a good chance you're emissions are affected.
And for those saying I should fail, I'll defer to my original post. My car passed, based on a test of my actual emissions, even with the check engine light on. I was told my car tested "extremely clean" for emissions afterwards. It's just a stupid test.

For those concerned about the environment, I'd also question how many emissions are created when a perfectly good car is scrapped prematurely in favour of a new car, just because of the drive clean program. Building a new car creates a lot more emissions than driving an older less efficient one.


Last edited by Fenix Rises 2026: 11-27-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:34 AM
  #8
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!
 
Rocket Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Capital of Canada!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
sorry about the off-topic post, but hope i can save somebody here a few hundred bucks by getting them to consider getting their test done early.
Thanks for the heads up!

Not all of us can afford a new car!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:26 AM
  #9
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala
 
mat_sens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,586
vCash: 10639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
And for those saying I should fail, I'll defer to my original post. My car passed, based on a test of my actual emissions, even with the check engine light on. I was told my car tested "extremely clean" for emissions afterwards. It's just a stupid test.

For those concerned about the environment, I'd also question how many emissions are created when a perfectly good car is scrapped prematurely in favour of a new car, just because of the drive clean program. Building a new car creates a lot more emissions than driving an older less efficient one.

I didn't explain myself very well. I wanted to say hopefully you're not ignoring your check engine light. I don't really care about the environnement. E-test are a money grab, hell some regions in Ontario don't even have to pass it.

mat_sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:59 AM
  #10
sanityplease
Registered User
 
sanityplease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 760
vCash: 50
Money grab for the government & make work program for the auto-sector.

We should drive our vehicles as long as possible. It is not socially responsible to thow away a vehicle because of a dash light being on, or a fractional difference in exhaust emissions. A lot of resources are consumed (water,hydro,fuel) & pollution created, building a new car.

Consumerism @ it's finest.

I live in an area that doesn't require the etest & a lot of people still drive (fairly well maintained) 10-15 year old vehicles & older.


Last edited by sanityplease: 11-28-2012 at 09:07 AM.
sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:46 PM
  #11
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
Not a problem for a rich urbanite to buy a new car or ride their bicycles to the birkenstock store, but it doesn't really work for those of us who can't afford a new car or a brownstone downtown. Besides this e-test is nothing more than a money grab by the province that punishes the poor.
I can understand not being able to afford a new car, the entire industry is based on outdating each model as quickly as possible. Add on top of that the 50% decrease in value the moment you purchase it and you're looking at a pretty crappy investment. Bike's and transit work better for me financially but if you live in an area that doesn't have that type of infrastructure then you're pretty much stuck with a car.

I still think it would be worth saving up to invest in improvements like I originally suggested since you will gain a return for your investment with better air quality and lower emissions.

If you decide to go the bike route I'd definitely recommend investing in some good shoes rather than Birkenstocks, you'll want the foot protection. I've also never heard of a brownstone, but I'm assuming it is another a bad investment.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.