HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

[MIA / TOR] Big Blockbuster (Reyes, Johnson, Buerhle to TOR)

Old
11-20-2012, 01:14 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
he had no choice. There were several op ed pieces that clearly laid out that in the last 5 years there have been a few trades like this one and no one said boo about them. Some west coast media suggested that it was the Yankees and Red Sox who were pressuring a trade veto
Yankees and Redsox execs shouldnt of said boo, this is the type of deal they would of done if given the chance.
I wonder if teams in the AL East wanted that Sox/Dodgers trade vetoed

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:04 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Says the Jets fan.

The Yankees also have much tougher competition with 3 all stars added to the division.. Especially considering guys like Jeter and A fraud have very limited time left. The Yankees are an old team, and it just got harder for them..

I doubt that was the reason for the delay, but it wouldn't suprise me if they tried to influence Selig in some way....

A lot classier organizations have tried to intervene or influence in divisional opponents transactions (eg Holland trying to block the Radulov move to Nashville)
What does being a Jets fan have to do with it?

I'm sure that the Yankees (and the Red Sox) would lobby Selig to kill the deal if it actually benefited them, but it doesn't. Setting a precedent against salary dump trades would hurt the Yankees, significantly.

Put it this way: the Yankees will be buying other teams' top players long after Johnson, Reyes, and Buehrle are gone and forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Where was Bud when the Red Sox/Dodgers made that major trade?
Totally different situations from his perspective -- both Boston and LA are huge market teams that will continue to compete and spend money in the future, and both fanbases were happy with the deal. That deal had no downside for him, unlike this trade that leaves him with a fanbase in open revolt.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Clowe Me

I find it rather hypocritical if Bos or NYY complained about the trade. They would have done the same thing if they were in Toronto's shoes.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:16 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
Totally different situations from his perspective -- both Boston and LA are huge market teams that will continue to compete and spend money in the future, and both fanbases were happy with the deal. That deal had no downside for him, unlike this trade that leaves him with a fanbase in open revolt.
I meant why didn't he take almost 7 days to approve the Red Sox/Dodgers trade, which involved almost as many players and huge contracts compared to the Blue Jays/Marlins trade.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:25 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

It's a valid trade and I'm a Red Sox fan, the Jays have a right to compete too.

(But still, DAMNIT!)

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:40 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
I find it rather hypocritical if Bos or NYY complained about the trade. They would have done the same thing if they were in Toronto's shoes.
When Boston traded for Adrian Gonzalez from San Diego all they gave up was Casey Kelly, Anothy Rizzo, Reymond Fuentes and a player to be named later which became Eric Patterson. Now even though it wasn't a major 12 player trade Gonzalez was the Padres best player and no amount they got would have made up for trading him.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:57 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I meant why didn't he take almost 7 days to approve the Red Sox/Dodgers trade, which involved almost as many players and huge contracts compared to the Blue Jays/Marlins trade.
Wasn't this deal held up somewhat because Reyes is out of the country?

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:00 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
Wasn't this deal held up somewhat because Reyes is out of the country?
That was part of the reason why, assuming Selig really looked over the trade and had to approve it.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:13 PM
StringerBell

AA said Bonifacio was originally holding up the deal getting agreed on as Miami didn't want to let him go, but he would have walked away from the deal without him. High praise for a utility player, excited to see what he can do.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:16 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
AA said Bonifacio was originally holding up the deal getting agreed on as Miami didn't want to let him go, but he would have walked away from the deal without him. High praise for a utility player, excited to see what he can do.
Speed, can really play anywhere, pretty good OBP and AVG for a utility guy. Don't forget, it was just a year ago that he hit almost .300

I'm hearing AA talk on prime time sports, and he's saying that Cabrera wanted a one year deal but he was pushing for two. Very interesting.

DennisReynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:04 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

The cash appears to be 8.5m, as reported by cbs/the AP yesterday and as shown on cot's. Anthopolous mentioned today that it was above 8 million.

So yes, the marlins gave us all their best players (except stanton) and paid for more than the first year of melky.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post

So yes, the marlins gave us all their best players (except stanton) and paid for more than the first year of melky.
In Florida's defense (there isn't much) Ruggiano made Bonifacio expandable. They also didn't trade Logan Morrison (for now).

I think their opening day payroll will be ~ 4 dollars.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
I'm rather surprised at how many people here failed to recognize the obvious issues inherent in this trade outside of the strictly baseball part that made it different than the oft-mentioned BoSox/Dodgers trade.

Boston has had stable management and an old stadium for years, and has been constantly competitive for about as long. There's no question of competence and honesty there. The Dodgers did have a new ownership group in place, but they got the strong end of the deal.

Miami/Florida has always been an uncertain locale monetarily and in ownership, and they recently got a new ballpark, largely funded by the public, and had given their word about doing everything they could to be competitive and attract customers to the park (and thereby pay back the money they got). Loria's poor history just makes it that worse.

There was no comparing the two situations, and had Selig vetoed it, as po'd off as I would have been, it wouldn't have been hypocritical.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:16 PM
mapes

You're right but why would the fans believe Loria? Look at his history. I understand them being mad but it isn't a surprise.

It would be like going out with someone, they cheat on you. You get back together, they cheat on you again. You get back together and guess what? She cheats on you. Should you really be surprised/mad?

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
You're right but why would the fans believe Loria? Look at his history. I understand them being mad but it isn't a surprise.

It would be like going out with someone, they cheat on you. You get back together, they cheat on you again. You get back together and guess what? She cheats on you. Should you really be surprised/mad?
Should you be mad? Sure. Should you be surprised? No.

I agree, the fans have no reason to be as po'd as they seem to be. They brought this on themselves by letting the stadium deal go through and then not going to games last season, but one is still has good reason to be mad at someone doing something unethical even if you're not surprised.

I'd get po'd if China made political arrests and put people in jail for disagreeing with the government, but I sure as hell wouldn't be surprised.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:20 PM
BPR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Should you be mad? Sure. Should you be surprised? No.

I agree, the fans have no reason to be as po'd as they seem to be. They brought this on themselves by letting the stadium deal go through and then not going to games last season, but one is still has good reason to be mad at someone doing something unethical even if you're not surprised.

I'd get po'd if China made political arrests and put people in jail for disagreeing with the government, but I sure as hell wouldn't be surprised.
Every single politician involved in funding the new stadium lost their next reelection bid and the Marlins did everything they could to prevent a direct referendum since they knew it would never pass. There is no way you can blame Miami residents for what happened.

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 02:45 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Charles View Post
Every single politician involved in funding the new stadium lost their next reelection bid and the Marlins did everything they could to prevent a direct referendum since they knew it would never pass. There is no way you can blame Miami residents for what happened.
Not Miami residents, but Marlin fans... They don't go to games, what do you expect?

I don't agree with what Loria did, but he's a businessman. Business wasn't good so he made drastic changes. If they're going to lose, may as well do so for significantly less money.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 473
Cool article detailing how it went down: http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/29...-marlins-trade

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote