HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout Thread: Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

Old
11-27-2012, 05:17 PM
sheriff bart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCaniac View Post
ETA - my ticket rep just called to try to change my mind. He failed. I feel badly for these folks as I am sure their livelihood depends on their ability to sell tickets, but we are done.
Mine emailed me and called my seat mate. I've talked to him and emailed him a couple of times since this all started, so he knew exactly where I stood. I had made it known that I was willing to stick it out until Thanksgiving. That gave them two months to throw feces around and pound on their chests. He just thanked me for my support and patience and hoped I'd support the team when it was all over. They have a tough job right now. About as good as the "lost luggage" clerk at the airport.

Maybe when enough people cancel, it will light a fire under somebody. I emailed him back and told him that I hoped all this information was being shared with all of the concerned parties. What hurts one, hurts the other.

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:34 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

As of about a week ago, attrition was at only 2%. And not all of that was lockout-related. The past week seems to have been a turning point for a lot of people. I wonder how high the number has to get in order for the team to put pressure on Bettman to close a deal.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:44 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I've given them some thought, but it's a 90-minute drive.
90 minutes? And you're in Cary? That seems a bit long... do you not take I-40/I-95? It's definitely quicker. Do not ever take NC-55/US-401, though... once 401 turns into two lanes after Fuquay and you get stuck behind a slowpoke, you're cooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
The SPHL might be the closet thing these days to Slap Shot. Lot of goons, fights, rowdy drunken crowds.
It was this way when I used to live down there and go to games often, and I tell you... it was exactly the same when I went on Saturday. Oh, Fayetteville...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
Maybe I have a reason to visit Fayetteville after all, lol.
Not many other reasons.

gocanes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:44 AM
sheriff bart

Quote:
As of about a week ago, attrition was at only 2%.
I have been looking for something along these lines. Where does this info come from? A few weeks ago, there was an article in the N&O stating a 1% cancellation. That just seems way too optimistic. I have heard of quite a few people that have cancelled, me being one of them.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:09 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff bart View Post
I have been looking for something along these lines. Where does this info come from?
I probably asked the same source as DeCock, but he didn't name names so I don't want to do that either. You never know what's considered sensitive in someone else's office. But suffice it to say, it's a reliable inside source who I trust not to blow smoke at me.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:35 AM
sheriff bart

Quote:
I probably asked the same source as DeCock, but he didn't name names so I don't want to do that either. You never know what's considered sensitive in someone else's office. But suffice it to say, it's a reliable inside source who I trust not to blow smoke at me.
Fair enough. It just does seem awfully low. They hold that STH information dear. What do we estimate season ticket sales at? 7000 to 8000? At 8000, that would only be 160 seat cancellations. If those ticket holders only had 2 tickets, that's only 80 people that cancelled. That does seem low to me.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Guy

vCash: 407
I canceled and I know of another user on here that canceled, that's 2 more.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

It seems low, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is mostly the really die hard fans that are canceling. I don't think the average season ticket holder is even keeping up with the labor dispute enough to get really pissed off about it. I'm sure they are irritated as hell that there is no hockey but not necessarily feeling like an abused spouse like many of us are.

11-28-2012, 09:28 AM
CarolinaCaniac

When my ticket rep tried to reach into his seat "bag of tricks" again I expressed that getting a good seat shouldn't be an issue by the time this is all said and done. He didn't argue to the contrary.

CarolinaCaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:21 AM
sheriff bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldVonKimblestein View Post
It seems low, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is mostly the really die hard fans that are canceling. I don't think the average season ticket holder is even keeping up with the labor dispute enough to get really pissed off about it. I'm sure they are irritated as hell that there is no hockey but not necessarily feeling like an abused spouse like many of us are.
I don't feel abused, I just feel like I've caught the spouse cheating after forgiving her for cheating the first time.

I'd have the think the average ticket holder would have to look at that money sitting there at Christmas time and start to thinking how they could us it at a time when finances are tight. I think the two sides are fooling themselves if they think this time is just like the last lockout. A lot has changed in the economy since then.

Anyway, I just have a hard time believing such a small amount of STH's have cancelled. I've seen more than a few posts by people on various Canes message boards where they say they have cancelled.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:37 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

The vast majority of people are not the type of fans that post on message boards.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:11 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by dins View Post
The vast majority of people are not the type of fans that post on message boards.
This can't be emphasized enough. Even if you took the number of people who post even infrequently on this board (even if trolling us) it would still be less then 1% of PNC Arena capacity. Aside from those that work for PNC Arena, we (the true diehards) are the ones that are getting hurt the most by this lockout. A lot of season ticket holders may be missing it a lot, but it's nowhere near as bad.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:17 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff bart View Post
Anyway, I just have a hard time believing such a small amount of STH's have cancelled. I've seen more than a few posts by people on various Canes message boards where they say they have cancelled.
There's also a third possibility: there may have been enough incoming new STHs to offset a lot of those who left. I really don't know how they are internally arriving at 1-2%, whether that's the number of actual cancellations or the number that the STH base has decreased since a particular date in the summertime. I know which one I'd use if I had to answer this question on a daily basis.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Quote:
There's also a third possibility: there may have been enough incoming new STHs to offset a lot of those who left. I really don't know how they are internally arriving at 1-2%, whether that's the number of actual cancellations or the number that the STH base has decreased since a particular date in the summertime. I know which one I'd use if I had to answer this question on a daily basis.
That's what I've been thinking about the numbers, as well. All the big moves were made early in the summer and they almost certainly had a huge boost in STH then.

They could also be trying to use some other type of trick like only counting full season STH cancellations, and not any of the partials? Having studied statistics/polling there are so many ways to manipulate numbers to make them say what you want to. Especially if you have an agenda in mind.

It's amazing the comments I get around town here in Greenville wearing my Canes hat about the lockout and people hoping they start back up soon, asking info about it, etc. Just about a daily thing at this point. Hopefully it won't set things back too much, because the Canes were really starting to gain steam and more people obviously have been paying attention than even I would have guessed.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:10 AM
sheriff bart

Quote:
Oh, I realize that. It's just that when the Canes are reporting such low numbers of cancellations, we can almost account for that many from just the posters on the message boards. That would mean all the "average" fans are riding it out. I would say they have to be comparing to last year or something. If they are correct in their numbers, then they can lock out forever and not hurt themselves.

Just my 2c.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:12 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

I don't think any collection of 'Canes boards can account for even 0.25% of the STH base, let alone 1-2%.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:50 AM
sheriff bart

Quote:
I don't think any collection of 'Canes boards can account for even 0.25% of the STH base, let alone 1-2%.
Nevermind.

Carry on with other relevant lockout talk.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I hate to get burned again, but it seems that there is real reason for hope now. http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-kypreos-says/

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldVonKimblestein View Post
I hate to get burned again, but it seems that there is real reason for hope now. http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-kypreos-says/
I wish I was that optimistic by this point. My mom may or may not have cancelled my/our season tickets a week or so back, so I'm not sure how it affects me.

Also, my next semester's gonna suck, so I'm not sure if going to all the home games remaining by that point would be feasible anyways.

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
I know that's probably good news, and I'm not saying a deal WON'T happen, I'm just saying I'm not gonna get myself worked up about it until it does. Rumors have come and gone several times this year, nothing's come of it. I agree this one looks a little different, but as far as I'm concerned we're still locked out.

The frustrating thing about that article is that it reports that Bettman's plan was to press the players until December 1st then make a deal. So much for "we're open to getting a deal done now."

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:37 PM
geehaad

I called it.

[yawn]

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

It's going to be really hard to study with all this CBA commotion going on right now. Ugh.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Dear Magic White Box,

Please make our dreams of a 56 game season a reality. Please ensure that Jordan Staal stays healthy and scores 60 points. Please ensure that Jiri Tlusty's breakout season was not a fluke. Please ensure, above all else, that we GET HOCKEY BACK!!!

All Hail the Magic Box!!! WoooooHOOOOOwoooo

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Trying really hard to not get excited over here. It's like sixth grade math class.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Trying really hard to not get excited over here. It's like sixth grade math class.
So, why exactly is 6th grade math class teeming with excitement? Because you're learning and it's easy?

Also, haha O'Neill with the trolling again.

Jeff O'Neill ‏@odognine2
Bettman 8M a year and he's not present in meetings. Apparently progress is being made. The league should buy him out.