HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Arpeggio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Rush
Tragically Hip
Three Days Grace
Billy Talent
Alanis Morrisette
Arcade Fire (not my cup of tea, but crazy talented)
Big Wreck
Finger Eleven
Propaghandi
Protest the Hero
Sum 41

A good mix of old and new Canadian acts right there, and all with infinitely more talent in their little fingers than Bieber and Jepsen.

Screw the fake pop BS. They should be promoting true, hard working talent.

I had heard they were considering Van Halen for the Super Bowl. If that's the case, they downgraded badly with Beyonce.
Yes, I'm sure pop stars don't work hard.

Just because you don't appreciate their music doesn't mean they haven't worked to get where they are. Some genres are more suited to fame than others though, I'll give you that.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Rush
Tragically Hip
Three Days Grace
Billy Talent
Alanis Morrisette
Arcade Fire (not my cup of tea, but crazy talented)
Big Wreck
Finger Eleven
Propaghandi
Protest the Hero
Sum 41

A good mix of old and new Canadian acts right there, and all with infinitely more talent in their little fingers than Bieber and Jepsen.

Screw the fake pop BS. They should be promoting true, hard working talent.

I had heard they were considering Van Halen for the Super Bowl. If that's the case, they downgraded badly with Beyonce.
None of these acts are even close except the Hip, who have done it in 2004 already.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:21 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
None of these acts are even close except the Hip, who have done it in 2004 already.
Lol at Rush not being close.

Canadian rock gods right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Yes, I'm sure pop stars don't work hard.

Just because you don't appreciate their music doesn't mean they haven't worked to get where they are. Some genres are more suited to fame than others though, I'll give you that.
They really don't. Look at the credits for his albums. He doesn't write the majority of his own music. I guarantee he is not actually singing on stage. He's barely singing on his albums as it is with all the vocal effects. He's had everything absolutely handed to him. Jepsen is the same way. The majority of pop stars are the same way.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Six in O6

Quote:

They really don't. Look at the credits for his albums. He doesn't write the majority of his own music. I guarantee he is not actually singing on stage. He's barely singing on his albums as it is with all the vocal effects. He's had everything absolutely handed to him. Jepsen is the same way. The majority of pop stars are the same way.
Sorry, I missed Rush. They're obviously on the same level as the Tragically Hip, I'm suprised they haven't done one already. My opinion still stands for the rest. Sum 41? That's got to be a joke. Why don't you throw Gob up there too?

That's how music works. I'm actually pretty sure the guy from Marinas Trench helped write Call Me Maybe...

Old
11-27-2012, 08:31 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

Quote:
That's how music works. I'm actually pretty sure the guy from Marinas Trench helped write Call Me Maybe...
That's how bubblegum pop works.

Van Halen? Write and perform their own tracks. Metallica? Rush? All the other Canadian artists I mentioned? They write and perform their own music.

Thankfully, in ten years, Bieber will be an afterthought while the real talent continues to shine through.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:39 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
That's how bubblegum pop works.

Van Halen? Write and perform their own tracks. Metallica? Rush? All the other Canadian artists I mentioned? They write and perform their own music.

Thankfully, in ten years, Bieber will be an afterthought while the real talent continues to shine through.
unless they are collaborating with Lou Reed

Old
11-27-2012, 08:42 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
unless they are collaborating with Lou Reed
I'll give you that, that was pretty weird.

I kinda liked it though. I like weird **** though.

Also, I'm aware most of those bands are not as popular as Bieber is. However, popularity =/= quality. I listed acts who I felt are of vastly superior quality compared to Bieber.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:44 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
I'll give you that, that was pretty weird.

I kinda liked it though. I like weird **** though.

Also, I'm aware most of those bands are not as popular as Bieber is. However, popularity =/= quality. I listed acts who I felt are of vastly superior quality compared to Bieber.
Rush is for sure. The Hip was 15 years ago.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:

He is actually singing on stage, they have backing tracks though. He also sings on his records, but more production goes into his voice than a rock vocalists, sure. He's not a great vocalist, though he was good for his age when he got discovered. He's also 300x the dancer any of the artists you listed are. Or is that not a legitimate talent that takes hard work?

Jepsen won a nationwide singing competition (I think, I know she was on Canadian Idol), and to do that would've had to work on her voice for years and years, and likely hours a day. There's a reason everyone wants to be a popstar, and only a select few make it.

Granted, Bieber hit it big a lot faster than most bands do, but I'm not about to hate him for being popular, that would be unfair. Nor will I hate him or Jepsen just because they make **** music.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:22 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bieber was the best part of that show, and Beyonce will be great at the Super Bowl. She's actually really good live, she played Glastonbury Festival and did well which is pretty impressive for a pop act, Bieber could never pull that off. And Bieber is one of the most popular musicians in the world, he was a steal for the CFL. Who cares if they're not really singing? It's not a music festival, nor is it designed to make CFL fans out of kids watching the Grey Cup (seriously, what the hell, no one remembers the half-time show for more than a day). It's designed to draw in viewers to that particular game to watch those particular ads, thus increasing revenue.

Old men take pop music way to seriously. Apparently.
I wasn't going to wade into this discussion because music (like any artistic expression) is completely subjective.

However that bolded portion of your post really irks me. Maybe its just a generational thing but since when did lip syncing become so acceptable? How is it acceptable to have an artist with any credibility and dignity at all, go through the motions and cheat on his/her performance?

To quote a famous comedian when commenting on todays society and the BS that abounds..."nobody seems to notice, nobody seems to care".

I have no idea why this is tolerated...maybe its just another statement on society in general and the acceptance of facsimiles.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Bieber was the best part of that show, and Beyonce will be great at the Super Bowl. She's actually really good live, she played Glastonbury Festival and did well which is pretty impressive for a pop act, Bieber could never pull that off. And Bieber is one of the most popular musicians in the world, he was a steal for the CFL. Who cares if they're not really singing? It's not a music festival, nor is it designed to make CFL fans out of kids watching the Grey Cup (seriously, what the hell, no one remembers the half-time show for more than a day). It's designed to draw in viewers to that particular game to watch those particular ads, thus increasing revenue.

Old men take pop music way to seriously. Apparently.
I'm curious what age you are. Anybody that experienced the societal awakening in the 50's and 60's knows what a huge impact music has on every aspect of culture and in some cases society itself. The 60's particular across the Western World experienced many societal changes that were inspired by the musical soundtrack to the times as anybody living through those times is fully aware.

In more recent times behind the iron block one of the most defiant acts was the playing of western pop music, underground clubs scenes and so on and an irrepresible influence on Eastern bloc youth who eventually basically said screw this continued repression, threw off the iron block chains and joined in the western world. people forget that the iron curtain fell not ever on the basis of bombs, arms, and missiles but on the back of a grassroots cultural revolution. In the end it was western culture that won the cold war. Ironic eh? Could've saved decades of repressive military spending and pumping out Ronald Reagan clone presidents on both sides. Lennon would've had it all done 50yrs ago. In the end his ilk won out anyway, just took longer.

No less than Ravi Shankar said that he wishes that just once he could communicate the harmonious feelings he plays in his music with spoken words. An acknowledgement that melodies soar like anthems and words and speeches more often than not are forgettable and often don't culminate in any meaningful change in life, experience, or the world.

Music used to be revolutionary. Now its spoon fed pablum from a music industry that largely deserves to have limited sales.

Perhaps some of us take music seriously because we are fully aware what kind of powerful catalyst music can be. Not to mention how much one can derive experientially from good music the memories of which lasts lifetimes.

AS for not caring whether a singer is actually singing...lol.. seriously? If he/she isn't singing, and all they do is sing(and play no instruments) then I'm incredulous that you think the few latest junk step moves are enough. Or is just showing up and waving at the crowd enough of a performance these days or jumping up and down for 3mins.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-27-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old
11-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Were McNeil and Murray ever the most popular performers in the world?

game...set...match
It was a joke, sorry you didn't get it.

As for your obvious assertion that being the most popular is the critical criteria for this type of entertainment, keep in mind that likely 99 % of the public that has made Beiber popular are young girls 6-16 years of age. According to you, it doesn't matter who the artist is popular with, just that they're popular. Better hope that some toddler entertainer similar to Raffi doesn't become real big in the next few years, or you may be on the bandwagon to sign him up. I think you've just game, set and matched yourself out of a credible arguement.

Last edited by Stoneman89: 11-27-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old
11-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
I may be an exception but I went to my first Grey Cup when I was 12, watched it (and the Stanley Cup finals) every year on tv since I can remember. There were plenty of kids in Toronto at the game, I was actually surprised since the tickets were pretty expensive. I thought all of the events I attended at Dundas square, Nathan Phillips square and the Metro Convention Centre were pretty family oriented. More so actually than last year in Vancouver. It was more spread out and the city did a great job of embracing it. The parade was also pretty family friendly.

The game itself was a showcase, they did a good job. The game was boring, but it was much bigger than the game. Forty year old men aren't going to enjoy the half time show, but it's not for them. Those butts are going to be in the seats regardless. The kids I saw were mostly rocking Hamilton and Argonaut jerseys, seems like local families really got behind it. Those are just my first hand thoughts, they might not mean much but I think they bring more to the table than broad generalizations do.

Of course there were plenty of kids at this game. Newslash. Justin Beiber was there. Doesn't mean they gave a rats behind for football or the game. And I suspect a high % of those children were young girls.

You're right, I don't go to Grey Cup games for the halftime show. But I expect as a paying customer that halftime doesn't turn into a kiddie show. And you may want to take your own advice about generalizations. I and many others saw BTO play one of the Grey Cups in Edmonton. I enjoyed it immensely and they were fantastic. They weren't the most popular kiddie group in the world at the time, but I got over it.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm curious what age you are. Anybody that experienced the societal awakening in the 50's and 60's knows what a huge impact music has on every aspect of culture and in some cases society itself. The 60's particular across the Western World experienced many societal changes that were inspired by the musical soundtrack to the times as anybody living through those times is fully aware.

In more recent times behind the iron block one of the most defiant acts was the playing of western pop music, underground clubs scenes and so on and an irrepresible influence on Eastern bloc youth who eventually basically said screw this continued repression, threw off the iron block chains and joined in the western world. people forget that the iron curtain fell not ever on the basis of bombs, arms, and missiles but on the back of a grassroots cultural revolution. In the end it was western culture that won the cold war. Ironic eh? Could've saved decades of repressive military spending and pumping out Ronald Reagan clone presidents on both sides. Lennon would've had it all done 50yrs ago. In the end his ilk won out anyway, just took longer.

No less than Ravi Shankar said that he wishes that just once he could communicate the harmonious feelings he plays in his music with spoken words. An acknowledgement that melodies soar like anthems and words and speeches more often than not are forgettable and often don't culminate in any meaningful change in life, experience, or the world.

Music used to be revolutionary. Now its spoon fed pablum from a music industry that largely deserves to have limited sales.

Perhaps some of us take music seriously because we are fully aware what kind of powerful catalyst music can be. Not to mention how much one can derive experientially from good music the memories of which lasts lifetimes.

AS for not caring whether a singer is actually singing...lol.. seriously? If he/she isn't singing, and all they do is sing(and play no instruments) then I'm incredulous that you think the few latest junk step moves are enough. Or is just showing up and waving at the crowd enough of a performance these days or jumping up and down for 3mins.
I love music, I won't go as far as to say it's my life but it's damn close. I fully understand the impact music can have on life and society. Though I'll also quickly add that in the example you've cited, it didn't matter what kind of music was being played, the fact that it was western was enough for it to be revolutionary.

I also think the impact of music can be greatly exaggerated, and clouded by personal taste. For example, you've cited Lady Gaga several times in this thread as a hack of a popstar, while many members of the homosexual community across North America see her music as empowering and inspirational. Point is that nothing is more subjective than taste in music.

What revolutionary message did Michael Jackson present to the people? How about Queen, or even the Beatles while they were still together? Sinatra, Elvis? There always have and always will be pop stars, and more often than not they are polarizing figures that some portion of society are not going to appreciate. The common trait shared between these megastars is that they are entertaining, and yes, in some cases, all it would take to set a stadium crowd off would be to come out and wave. *Ahem, The Beatles*

Yes, if I'm going to a concert, I expect the performer to sing. However, if I'm going to a Bieber concert, or a half time show where he's performing, no, I don't expect much out of his voice, because I know who his audience is and I know why he's so popular. I also understand why he gets gigs like halftime shows, and it's not for his superior talent. Doesn't mean he didn't work hard to get where he is, doesn't mean I can take anything away from him as a successful entertainer.

Music can still be revolutionary, though I'd argue you've overstated its impact. I also argue that for the majority of human history, music has been strictly entertainment, so I don't know why today should be considered so different from the past. Dance music has always existed, pop music has always existed, popstars have always existed. There is loads of good music out there today, possibly more than ever before, perhaps its just a bit more difficult to find.

What I get sick of is people saying "music was so much better back then". Guess what, it wasn't. Lots of young kids today hate new music and love the 60s, lots of adults adore today's music. Music is music, it shouldn't be mistaken for anything more than that.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Of course there were plenty of kids at this game. Newslash. Justin Beiber was there. Doesn't mean they gave a rats behind for football or the game. And I suspect a high % of those children were young girls.

You're right, I don't go to Grey Cup games for the halftime show. But I expect as a paying customer that halftime doesn't turn into a kiddie show. And you may want to take your own advice about generalizations. I and many others saw BTO play one of the Grey Cups in Edmonton. I enjoyed it immensely and they were fantastic. They weren't the most popular kiddie group in the world at the time, but I got over it.
I definitely didn't see many preteen girls. I noticed the demographics were mostly 8-15 year old little dudes with their dad's rocking football jerseys and face paint. My youngest brother is in that age range, and he'll definitely be coming to the next Grey cup. I don't know why you insist on making that generalization. It's wrong, not informative and ignorant. I haven't made any generalizations, I'm merely responding to comments with anecdotal evidence based on my observations from actually being at the game. I bought my tickets long in advance and could not care less what the half time show was. I sat through Nickelback last year, which I find even more controversial than Bieber.

BTO was one of the best half time shows in the last ten years. It puts Nickelback and Bieber to shame, but again they don't hold a candle to Bieber's current status as the number one act in the world of music right now.

The fact that you're talking about it now, just gives it legitimacy. They clearly achieved what they wanted from the show, keeping people talking about the Grey cup (whether about the game or not) is exactly what the marketing guys wrote up.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
I love music, I won't go as far as to say it's my life but it's damn close. I fully understand the impact music can have on life and society. Though I'll also quickly add that in the example you've cited, it didn't matter what kind of music was being played, the fact that it was western was enough for it to be revolutionary.

I also think the impact of music can be greatly exaggerated, and clouded by personal taste. For example, you've cited Lady Gaga several times in this thread as a hack of a popstar, while many members of the homosexual community across North America see her music as empowering and inspirational. Point is that nothing is more subjective than taste in music.

What revolutionary message did Michael Jackson present to the people? How about Queen, or even the Beatles while they were still together? Sinatra, Elvis? There always have and always will be pop stars, and more often than not they are polarizing figures that some portion of society are not going to appreciate. The common trait shared between these megastars is that they are entertaining, and yes, in some cases, all it would take to set a stadium crowd off would be to come out and wave. *Ahem, The Beatles*

Yes, if I'm going to a concert, I expect the performer to sing. However, if I'm going to a Bieber concert, or a half time show where he's performing, no, I don't expect much out of his voice, because I know who his audience is and I know why he's so popular. I also understand why he gets gigs like halftime shows, and it's not for his superior talent. Doesn't mean he didn't work hard to get where he is, doesn't mean I can take anything away from him as a successful entertainer.

Music can still be revolutionary, though I'd argue you've overstated its impact. I also argue that for the majority of human history, music has been strictly entertainment, so I don't know why today should be considered so different from the past. Dance music has always existed, pop music has always existed, popstars have always existed. There is loads of good music out there today, possibly more than ever before, perhaps its just a bit more difficult to find.

What I get sick of is people saying "music was so much better back then". Guess what, it wasn't. Lots of young kids today hate new music and love the 60s, lots of adults adore today's music. Music is music, it shouldn't be mistaken for anything more than that.
I think you're underestimating the impact of music. I know certain songs affected my life profoundly in some way or another, just as certain songs may ultimately affect your life, whether you realize it now or not. There are times I can remember certain milestones in my life based on a song that was playing just then. Lyrics can have a profound effect on many individuals. And it's not only the music. Certain heavyweights in the industry can also dictate fashion, religious beliefs, political beliefs, morals, etc. The Beatles were probably the most influential band in musical history for all these things, notwithstanding their massive catelogue of timeless music and performing gusto. Michael Jackson after them, and others to a lesser degree, even your own Lady Gaga.

I know we're getting off the beaten path of trashing the topic of dissing Justin Beiber, but as time adds years to your life, I guarantee you will become more reflective of how important music has been.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
I definitely didn't see many preteen girls. I noticed the demographics were mostly 8-15 year old little dudes with their dad's rocking football jerseys and face paint. My youngest brother is in that age range, and he'll definitely be coming to the next Grey cup. I don't know why you insist on making that generalization. It's wrong, not informative and ignorant. I haven't made any generalizations, I'm merely responding to comments with anecdotal evidence based on my observations from actually being at the game. I bought my tickets long in advance and could not care less what the half time show was. I sat through Nickelback last year, which I find even more controversial than Bieber.

BTO was one of the best half time shows in the last ten years. It puts Nickelback and Bieber to shame, but again they don't hold a candle to Bieber's current status as the number one act in the world of music right now.

The fact that you're talking about it now, just gives it legitimacy. They clearly achieved what they wanted from the show, keeping people talking about the Grey cup (whether about the game or not) is exactly what the marketing guys wrote up.

It's what we're talking about now while it's fresh. It won't be talked about months from now. Then the talk will be about the CFL, the Eskimos and it will be interesting to see how many more new fans appear at games because of any of this.

As for making generalizations about the demographics at Grey Cups, I have been to 3 of them. And by far, the vast number of people that attend these things are males, 18 and up. Just because you saw a gaggle of kids doesn't change it.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I think you're underestimating the impact of music. I know certain songs affected my life profoundly in some way or another, just as certain songs may ultimately affect your life, whether you realize it now or not. There are times I can remember certain milestones in my life based on a song that was playing just then. Lyrics can have a profound effect on many individuals. And it's not only the music. Certain heavyweights in the industry can also dictate fashion, religious beliefs, political beliefs, morals, etc. The Beatles were probably the most influential band in musical history for all these things, notwithstanding their massive catelogue of timeless music and performing gusto. Michael Jackson after them, and others to a lesser degree, even your own Lady Gaga.

I know we're getting off the beaten path of trashing the topic of dissing Justin Beiber, but as time adds years to your life, I guarantee you will become more reflective of how important music has been.
I understand what you're saying (like I said, music is very important to me), and I heavily associate times in my life with certain music, to the point where I can't listen to some music if the memories suck.

Let me make it clear that I'm not defending today's pop music because I enjoy it, I generally don't. I just think people tend to elevate their musical idols over those of others, and I think that's silly.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:45 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

This thread is getting pretty off topic. Let's see if we can get it back to football.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:02 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Sooo how about those 9 starting defensive free agents we have? Including the reigning defensive player of the year?

11-28-2012, 01:12 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The sooner they name Hervey the GM, the better.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:15 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The sooner they name Hervey the GM, the better.
He has only been a head scout for what...2 or 3 years? No Managerial experience in Football at all.

Is he really qualified?

Old
11-28-2012, 09:24 AM
joestevens29

Interesting Bieber on Family Guy this past Sunday.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:27 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Sooo how about those 9 starting defensive free agents we have? Including the reigning defensive player of the year?
J.C. was on Gregor's show and at first it sounded all good. He likes what they have and thinks they can be special. Then when asked if he'd sign before Dec 31 as part of the contract could go against this year's cap he really didn't sound too optimistic.

Granted there is a lot of time it caught me a bit off guard.

At the same time how JC talked about he hasn't even thought about a contract, hasn't talked to his agent and will wait til he gets home. Made me think is what Tillman did in not locking guys up as big of a deal as it was made out to be?

Old
11-28-2012, 09:29 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
He has only been a head scout for what...2 or 3 years? No Managerial experience in Football at all.

Is he really qualified?
Is the guy making the decision really qualified?

Closed Thread