HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Biggs's discussion thread.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:56 PM
LeafsRReady

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I think he's more of a lock than Kadri.

Don't take everything so literally. All I mean to convey is that I think he is a lock to make the NHL.
The night Oshawa was in London, Jenner was in my opinion the best player on the ice, so I take your point, but you'll have to excuse when it comes to players that are supposed to be locks. Danny Fritsche comes to mind. Good size and faster than Jenner with career junior numbers at least as good if not a notch above Jenners. Maybe Columbus will be better to Boone than it was to Danny.

While Jenner is not technically from London, those connections are significant so I would be very happy to see him excel.

LeafsRReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Are there highlights anywhere of last night's game?

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Destroyer100

He would have wrecked him but the ottawa guy didn't want to throw punches and wanted to try and hug biggs it look liked.

note: Not my video,not my channel just found it on youtube.

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 11-27-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: fixed youtube
Destroyer100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Destroyer100

Good for him standing up for Jenner after he got hit from good behind. Thats the type of players you always like to have on a team.

Destroyer100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:02 PM
ToneBone03
LEAFS

Biggs with another 2 points (1 goal, 1 assist) in tonight's game against the Petes, bringing him to 14 goals and 15 assists for 29 points in 28 games! Also a +10 on the season thus far.

ToneBone03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneBone03 View Post
Biggs with another 2 points (1 goal, 1 assist) in tonight's game against the Petes, bringing him to 14 goals and 15 assists for 29 points in 28 games! Also a +10 on the season thus far.
Awesome to see and hear! Glad he is able to produce lets hope he can do so still for the remainder of the season!

11-27-2012, 09:30 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Seems like he's been incredibly inconsistent this year. Goes on a stretch of a nice point streak, then doesn't produce for a couple games. (Just basing off of stats)

Hopefully that's just the transition to the OHL still

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Interactif

Quote:
I wonder where is the guy that said the sample size was too small earlier this year when he was doing well, he's still at it. Frankly I expected him to hit a little bit of flat spot (not used to this many games) and then pick it up late in the season, but he seems to be consistently on the upclimb. THN, Seventieslord, and Yakov the comrade blogger. What say?

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:46 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I wonder where is the guy that said the sample size was too small earlier this year when he was doing well, he's still at it. Frankly I expected him to hit a little bit of flat spot (not used to this many games) and then pick it up late in the season, but he seems to be consistently on the upclimb. THN, Seventieslord, and Yakov the comrade blogger. What say?
I really hope he can maintain this offense at higher levels.

Would be nice to see a LUcic type on the 2nd line as opposed to a run of hte mill tough guy on the bottom 6.

I like how he sticks up for his teammates. That is something we've lacked. Well not really lacked but lacked a winner. LIke when Schenn took on Neil. Nice thought but atleast land a punch kid.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
I really hope he can maintain this offense at higher levels.

Would be nice to see a LUcic type on the 2nd line as opposed to a run of hte mill tough guy on the bottom 6.

I like how he sticks up for his teammates. That is something we've lacked. Well not really lacked but lacked a winner. LIke when Schenn took on Neil. Nice thought but atleast land a punch kid.
If he can show that toughness and willingness to stand up for mates, and score 20-20 in the NHL, he will be an incredibly valuable player in the NHL.

Let's just say he has thrown a lot of cold water on the bust label he somehow got as a 19 year old, only one year removed from the draft. The kid has a lot of intangibles that every NHL would love to have, if only he can skate. That's a dig at Steve Simmons, funny I tweeted him to watch some highlights when he said he got it on good source that scouts told him Biggs skating was subpar. The troll never responded when I linked him into highlights of Biggs was skating impressively that game. Nothing like being proven you don't know of someone not knowing what they are talking about. That's Simmons for you.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:24 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
If he can show that toughness and willingness to stand up for mates, and score 20-20 in the NHL, he will be an incredibly valuable player in the NHL.

Let's just say he has thrown a lot of cold water on the bust label he somehow got as a 19 year old, only one year removed from the draft. The kid has a lot of intangibles that every NHL would love to have, if only he can skate. That's a dig at Steve Simmons, funny I tweeted him to watch some highlights when he said he got it on good source that scouts told him Biggs skating was subpar. The troll never responded when I linked him into highlights of Biggs was skating impressively that game. Nothing like being proven you don't know of someone not knowing what they are talking about. That's Simmons for you.
I've met Simmons. He is every bit of the ****** that he comes across as on TV and in the paper.

I would love to see him have to debate Bob MacKenzie or someone else who knows their stuff. Heck a Simmons and Cherry debate would be hilarious. One guy makes **** up and the other one can't remember **** all.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:24 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

I'd like to know which scouts and what 2009 issue he was referring to.

I went through a few pre-draft reports and IIRC speed was considered good or not mentioned. It wasn't identified as a concern.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:51 PM
ToneBone03
LEAFS

I think we'll see Biggs get better and better as the year goes on, and his numbers will show it. From what I've read and what I've seen, his play in the past couple weeks has improved dramatically from how he was playing at the beginning of the season. He's driving the net more, banging more down low, and, in the process, creating a lot more room for his linemates Jenner and Dal Colle. Couldn't ask for much more from a power forward at this point.

Also, keep an eye on Dal Colle. Potential top-10 draft pick in the 2014 draft. Listed as 6'2", 171 lbs. as a 16-year-old. 21 points in 28 games thus far as well, as well as a very respectable +18 (compared to Biggs' +10 and Jenner's +11).

ToneBone03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 11:12 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The K Man View Post
Seems like he's been incredibly inconsistent this year. Goes on a stretch of a nice point streak, then doesn't produce for a couple games. (Just basing off of stats)

Hopefully that's just the transition to the OHL still
Actually, it couldn't be more of the opposite.

Biggs hasn't gone more than 3 games without registering a point and he's only had two 3-game stretches the entire season where he hasn't registered any points.

He's having a very good season.

Game-by-game log:

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/r...yGame/id/10825

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:05 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

David Clarkson perhpas a good comparison?

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:30 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Not a huge fan of it. Clarkson uses a combination of his mouth, 60% and toughness, 40% to intimidate. I would hope Biggs is more dominating physically, while providing the same offense.

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:19 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I'd say bottom end you're looking at a Dustin Penner type of guy... This year's version, not the one who put up 50 points in Anaheim... but Biggs could be as good as Penner then too.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Einzakin

I think some are underestimating Biggs character(cliche I know) and work ethic. The guy is not comparable to Penner because he has such a different attitude.

Biggs played in my hometown and is the definition of a leader. The guy is a beast and is only going to get better. I see a D.Brown with more size and little bit less skill.

Einzakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Interactif

I think Lucic is the closest player Biggs can become, he's more intimidating than Clarkson, I don't see it as a good comparison. People have mentioned Dustin Brown, but I think Brown is probably a better player. Neil is a plug that had a career year, Tyler's potential is much better than him.

So right now, Tyler is closest to Lucic in my opinion.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I think Lucic is the closest player Biggs can become, he's more intimidating than Clarkson, I don't see it as a good comparison. People have mentioned Dustin Brown, but I think Brown is probably a better player. Neil is a plug that had a career year, Tyler's potential is much better than him.

So right now, Tyler is closest to Lucic in my opinion.
Actual NHL amateur scouts compare him to LA's Kyle Clifford in ability and style, and not Milan Lucic, Dustin Brown or David Clarkson.

Clifford as a 19 year like Biggs now, put up these stats in the OHL with Barrie, and at 20 he was already in the NHL, and by 21 he was hoisting a Stanley Cup.

2009-10 - Barrie Colts - OHL - 58 games 28 goals 29 assists 57 points 111 pims & +32.

11-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
I'm not good at making comparables, but is Biggs in any way like Clowe?

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Actual NHL amateur scouts compare him to LA's Kyle Clifford in ability and style, and not Milan Lucic, Dustin Brown or David Clarkson.

Clifford as a 19 year like Biggs now, put up these stats in the OHL with Barrie, and at 20 he was already in the NHL, and by 21 he was hoisting a Stanley Cup.

2009-10 - Barrie Colts - OHL - 58 games 28 goals 29 assists 57 points 111 pims & +32.
I'd take Tyler over Clifford. This age thing is interesting, I regard this year Tyler's rookie year in the OHL. Not making a special circumstance for him, but it is reasonable to say playing in the OHL from a year in College, there is a period of adjustment.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:22 AM
JVR2112

Kyle Clifford would be really disappointing tbh.
I agree that there is an adjustment period and he would have been better off if he had went to the OHL right away.

JVR2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:47 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR2112 View Post
Kyle Clifford would be really disappointing tbh.
I agree that there is an adjustment period and he would have been better off if he had went to the OHL right away.
Kyle Clifford is only 21. He may become a very good NHL player. Ryane Clowe played an overage year in junior and 2 full AHL seasons before he even played an NHL game and even then played 18 and only had 2 assists. Clifford is doing very well for a player with his skill-set and size.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:22 PM
stanleyorbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Kyle Clifford is only 21. He may become a very good NHL player. Ryane Clowe played an overage year in junior and 2 full AHL seasons before he even played an NHL game and even then played 18 and only had 2 assists. Clifford is doing very well for a player with his skill-set and size.
Its kind of pointless to compare him to Kyle Clifford when he is only two years ahead of Tyler in terms of development/ proven what he can do in the NHL.

Kyle also played a lesser role on a completely stacked Barrie team while Biggs is playing a main role on a team without the same level of talent so its hard to compare their OHL stats.

Biggs will be in the NHL.. its just a matter of him deciding if he is going to be a hard-nosed 4th line guy.. or a 2nd/3rd liner who plays hard, drives the net, and contributes offensively as well.

stanleyorbust is offline   Reply With Quote