HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 07:09 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
The habs wouldn't even have to try to tank... it would just happen. I could handle another 4 months of the habs sucking no problem! If it would mean getting in the top 5.

If not... I see us picking in the 11-18 range. We do, however, have 3 2nd round picks. Could probably spare one to move up in the draft!
I've seen this mentioned often.

I'm not sure that would be a good idea, in such a deep draft. Keep the 4 picks and pick players. Detroit traded their 1st away in 2011 to have 3 2nd rounders and they probably had one of the better draft in 2011 by snagging Jurco, Ouellet and Sproul.

Right now guys like Duclair, Carrier, Mantha, Sorensen, Fucale and such could be available in the 2nd. I'd rather have 3 of those than a Nurse or a Burakowsky.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
I want Barkov and Gally dominating the ice for 45 minutes a game for the next 10-15 years.
They could very well both become wingers at the NHL level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post

I'm not sure that would be a good idea, in such a deep draft. Keep the 4 picks and pick players. Detroit traded their 1st away in 2011 to have 3 2nd rounders and they probably had one of the better draft in 2011 by snagging Jurco, Ouellet and Sproul.

Right now guys like Duclair, Carrier, Mantha, Sorensen, Fucale and such could be available in the 2nd. I'd rather have 3 of those than a Nurse or a Burakowsky.
I absolutely agree with this.
This draft is so deep that all of those 2nd rounders could end up being quality players.

Last edited by Fozz: 11-27-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old
11-27-2012, 07:52 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
The habs wouldn't even have to try to tank... it would just happen. I could handle another 4 months of the habs sucking no problem! If it would mean getting in the top 5.

If not... I see us picking in the 11-18 range. We do, however, have 3 2nd round picks. Could probably spare one to move up in the draft!
If as you say the Habs would end up in the top five they won't need to trade,unless they want the top pick.IMO the best pick for the Habs is Drouin or Seth Jones,either player gives the team huge offence or huge defence in a couple of seasons.The thought of a shutdown pairing with Jones and Tinordi is impressive,with Subban and Beaulieu/Gorges then Emelin/Diaz/Beaulieu.Great defence for the future.Galchenyuk with Drouin and Collberg followed by Desharnais/Plekanec- Pacioretty-Cole then Eller/Bourque and Leblanc as the first three lines.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:53 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
They could very well both become wingers at the NHL level.
That wouldn't prevent them from dominating the ice ( not necessarily the center of the ice. But I have a hard believing that they wouldn't be centers at NHL level.

Last edited by JAVO16: 11-27-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old
11-27-2012, 09:31 AM
S Bah

If the season starts at the beginning of the new year as Gretzky thinks then the Habs would have four months to play.If they falter out of the first ten games there season's fortunes would be set and trading for more draft picks makes perfect sense.Keeping the players needed for the team in the coming 3-4 yrs.Gionta,Markov,Kaberle and any others deemed not necessary for next seasons team could gain a couple of high picks. My hopes would be drafting Drouin,Mantha,Gauthier and Carrier in the first four picks, these picks giving our prospects a definite boost of talent through the forward ranks. With the Habs first four picks as they are the Habs may need a couple more late 1st round picks,the way those players are rising.More is Better IMO.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:52 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
If the season starts at the beginning of the new year as Gretzky thinks then the Habs would have four months to play.If they falter out of the first ten games there season's fortunes would be set and trading for more draft picks makes perfect sense.Keeping the players needed for the team in the coming 3-4 yrs.Gionta,Markov,Kaberle and any others deemed not necessary for next seasons team could gain a couple of high picks. My hopes would be drafting Drouin,Mantha,Gauthier and Carrier in the first four picks, these picks giving our prospects a definite boost of talent through the forward ranks. With the Habs first four picks as they are the Habs may need a couple more late 1st round picks,the way those players are rising.More is Better IMO.
Agree completely.

Normally I'd say go for it, but it's not like we'd have to endure a full season of tanking anyway, and signing Armstrong over Jagr suggests to me that Bergevin sees this as a tank a year anyway.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Prospector

Quote:
Man.. RDS crew would die of excitement! Would be nice though to revive in Montreal a Flying Frenchmen dynasty

Old
11-27-2012, 01:58 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
Man.. RDS crew would die of excitement! Would be nice though to revive in Montreal a Flying Frenchmen dynasty
Bergevin would become their living god.

Old
11-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
That would be so damn funny... but yeah I agree, those guys have potentially great potential (Drouin) to good potential with size (the 3 others), would fill up so many needs at the same time...

Old
11-27-2012, 03:17 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Im not sure the Habs will suck that much with the new coaches and management in place even if I think our depth is rather thin, Habs should be able to compete for a playoffs spot but hopefully Im wrong cause drafting another top end talent is exactly what this franchise need.

Old
11-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Those 4 wouldn't exactly give the Habs a dynasty.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:44 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
For once they'd actually know what they're talking about at the draft.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:14 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
For once they'd actually know what they're talking about at the draft.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Bergevin would become their living god.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
That would be so damn funny... but yeah I agree, those guys have potentially great potential (Drouin) to good potential with size (the 3 others), would fill up so many needs at the same time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Those 4 wouldn't exactly give the Habs a dynasty.

HAHAHA

The look on their faces would be priceless.

But seriously, that would be a great draft, filling pratically all our needs at forward.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Habssupporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post

I would tend to agree with you here but for this draft is we are drafting 8th or 9th, using a second round pick to move a couple of spot to say 6th overall would be a good move IMO. This would secure us either :

Mackinnon
Jones
Barkov
Lindholm
Drouin
Monahan

after that i feel there is a bit of a drop in the prospects (haven't seen Ristolainen tbh).

So sacrificing a second to upgrade from say Shinkaruk to Drouin or Linhholm would be a good call IMO. THat would still give the chance to Timmins to work his magic with 2 second rounders along with a blue chipper with our first

Old
11-27-2012, 10:26 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habssupporter View Post
I would tend to agree with you here but for this draft is we are drafting 8th or 9th, using a second round pick to move a couple of spot to say 6th overall would be a good move IMO. This would secure us either :

Mackinnon
Jones
Barkov
Lindholm
Drouin
Monahan

after that i feel there is a bit of a drop in the prospects (haven't seen Ristolainen tbh).

So sacrificing a second to upgrade from say Shinkaruk to Drouin or Linhholm would be a good call IMO. THat would still give the chance to Timmins to work his magic with 2 second rounders along with a blue chipper with our first
Ristolainen is in the same category as those other top prospects.

And agreed, it's worth the 2nd round pick to move up form an average prspect to a blue chip prospect.

Last edited by AJMHABS: 11-27-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old
11-27-2012, 10:47 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habssupporter View Post

Mackinnon
Jones
Barkov
Lindholm
Drouin
Monahan

Sorry to bust your dreams, but moving up in such a draft will cost more than a 2nd round pick.

Also, I highly doubt any team wishes to move their picks this year, teams have been reluctant to move 1st rounders at last year's trade deadline.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:12 PM
S Bah

From all the comments it's already a done deal,the Habs for past considerations will gladly draft Drouin,Mantha,Carrier and Gauthier with their first four picks.Glad to do business with you!

Old
11-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Ristolainen is in the same category as those other top prospects.
Agreed, if you want to talk Jones you should also talk Ristolainen. I think the two of them are closer as prospects than given credit for.

And I don't think moving up in the first half of the first round here is easy - it'll take far more than a 2nd round pick. Mackinnon, Drouin, Jones, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan and Ristolainen are worth doing whatever you can for, if you can't move into a position to get one of them, it's best to just go BPA and hope some of the other Q talent falls into the 2nd round.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:17 AM
DAChampion

If we offer three 2nd rounders and a 15th overall for a 5th overall we're likely to be turned down imo.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:08 AM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If we offer three 2nd rounders and a 15th overall for a 5th overall we're likely to be turned down imo.
Maybe not. Maybe a team is willing to trade down to get a guy they want.

But, it's not likely.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Wow. In this draft, any GM turning down that offer should be shot (just like Bergevin should if he even offers this package). There's too much depth and quality prospects in the top 60-70 to refuse that deal. Besides, it's not like the top 5 are that much better than the guys that will go 6 to 10.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Not sure, I know I wouldn't offer our 3 2nd round picks + our 15th for the 5th, value would most probably be there, but 4 picks in the top 60 in that particular draft can potentially rebuild prospect depth quality-wise pretty fast, not just quantity-wise.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:12 AM
zzoo

Would you trade our 2nd pick to move up 1 spot ? or 2 spot ?
Btw, how many 2nd-round picks do we have in the next draft ?

Old
11-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Would you trade our 2nd pick to move up 1 spot ? or 2 spot ?
Btw, how many 2nd-round picks do we have in the next draft ?
Only if it means moving into the top 7. After that no.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:33 AM
CH4

Bergevin is often here in <Chicoutimi with his pal Marc Fortier (Sags GM)

expect a late 2nd or 3rd round pick spent on Laurent Dauphin. He'll be a steal.

Closed Thread