HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VII: The Last Waltz "Cut the sheet & drop the puck!"

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 10:25 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
John Bucigross is a hag when it comes to NHL rumors. But at this point I'd be more surprised if the NHL didn't have several different game schedules already drawn up. They probably had a 70, 62, 50, etc.
Yeah they definitely have start dates set up for whenever they reach an agreement. 48 I could see being mid January like the 95 shortened season. They could definitely get in more than 48 if they start on January 1st.

11-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

48 games is obviously not what we had hoped for back in September, but at this point, I'm just dying for hockey to come back. Although I agree with RKY. They also probably had a Thanksgiving start, a Chistmas start outlined. But I'm really it going to let myself get all optimistic with this, since anytime there has been anything good in these "negotiations," more bad news followed.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

anything less than 60, imo, is pointless.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:22 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
Unless they come to an agreement real quickly and start on the 15th, I don't think that's a possibility anymore.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The ability, or lack thereof, to turn a profit is a relevant discussion in any business - no matter how big or small.
Yes, but in the NHL's case any lack of profit has a lot more to do with mismanagement and a failure of vision by Bettman and the owners than it does with labor issues.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:20 AM
GarretJoseph*

if we do have a season we wont get to welcome back Dubinsky and Artie. Also means Nash won't get killed on the road in columbus. I read somewhere that if the season does start up it will only be inter conference games.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Larry Brooks found out some more info regarding the salary range being determined by a % of the midpoint.

Quote:
The Post learned yesterday, however, the NHL percentage-based system would have no impact on the calculation of the cap until the midpoint reaches $80 million. The league has proposed a midpoint of $52 million for next season.

The NHL proposal, as confirmed by both the PA’s Don Fehr and the league’s Bill Daly, would establish the ceiling and floor at either 10-percent above/below the midpoint or the current $8 million — whichever is greater.

Thus, the percentage calculation would not kick in until the midpoint exceeds $80 million.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...uidXUVUQRvbVJP

$80M midpoint? When will the midpoint approach $80M?

Brooks is reporting mediation will take place in DC starting today.

Pierre LeBrun said the two sides are more likely to discuss with mediators where they are willing to give than they are with each other. The players and owners will be in separate rooms. The mediators will meet with each side and then attempt to find common ground.

LeBrun,McKenzie and Dreger discussed mediation last night

Quote:
Tonight's Lockout Edition Insider Trading.
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...84430818402304

Former NHL player. Former NHL player agent. Former NHL GM. Brian Lawton

Quote:
I don't expect much to come from the mediated sessions...however I do expect the CBA to be resolved between December 15th-25th what is so...
Quote:
Is this just wishful thinking? No absolutely not. I don't predict many things but this is 1 I believe will happen! #CBA @nhlpa @nhl Agree???
https://twitter.com/brianlawton9

Lawton didn't like the PA proposal last week.

Quote:
The league has become known for lying to its fans, to its sponsors,” said Ed O’Hara, senior partner of New York-based SME Branding, which helped devise the strategy for the NHL eight years ago and still counts the league among its clients.

“I don’t know how you come back from a prolonged stoppage a second time because it is unprecedented,” O’Hara said. “Brands are built on promises. In this case, the promised experiences of seeing the greatest athletes in the world. That’s all gone now.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...s=rss_capitals

Article in the Washington Post. Bettman is in town. He must love reading that quote this morning.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

It was 48 games on all conference play in 1995. That season began on January 20. The CBA was not reached until January 11. If they get a deal between December 15-25,they could start earlier and play more than 48 games. 10 day training camp. The NBA played 66 games starting on December 25. Extend the season until May 1. 2 months of playoffs. They can play more games with less travel. The NBA played a full schedule. The Knicks traveled to the west coast. They played 4 in 5/6 nights. The NHL can't do that. If the NHLPA disclaims interest and dissolves and then get a labor deal,it will take a little longer than 10 days. They will need to get the union back together. Settle any anti-trust lawsuits filed. The CBA settlement will take care of any lawsuits filed.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:35 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It was 48 games on all conference play in 1995. That season began on January 20. The CBA was not reached until January 11. If they get a deal between December 15-25,they could start earlier and play more than 48 games. 10 day training camp. The NBA played 66 games starting on December 25. Extend the season until May 1. 2 months of playoffs. They can play more games with less travel. The NBA played a full schedule. The Knicks traveled to the west coast. They played 4 in 5/6 nights. The NHL can't do that. If the NHLPA disclaims interest and dissolves and then get a labor deal,it will take a little longer than 10 days. They will need to get the union back together. Settle any anti-trust lawsuits filed. The CBA settlement will take care of any lawsuits filed.
Any hockey would be welcomed at this point. Just get a deal done. This posturing is getting old, it's not worth losing a whole season again, not this time around.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
And yet, if the Rangers won the cup, you'd probably be one of the first ones lining the Canyon of Heroes.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:36 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
And yet, if the Rangers won the cup, you'd probably be one of the first ones lining the Canyon of Heroes.
I've been saying for years the Devils have 1/2 cup from 95. If for some reason Rangers won this year, I can't change my tone. For that reason alone, I would just rather them cancel the season already.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
I've been saying for years the Devils have 1/2 cup from 95. If for some reason Rangers won this year, I can't change my tone. For that reason alone, I would just rather them cancel the season already.
Thats just you being partisan. Don't watch if the Rangers make the finals then, that'll show that you're true to your word.

Personally, I'd be thrilled at this point with a 48-60 game season. Get Gaborik back healthy and, best of all, less wear and tear on a team that kills itself every night. I think it'd be fantastic.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:06 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

It still takes 16 wins to win the Cup.4 playoff rounds. If ends on June 30. It ends on June 30.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:14 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

For one, no one should be engraving the rangers on the stanley cup just yet. There are still 29 other teams that will be showing up in training camps, with at least 8-10 considering themselves contenders for the cup.

I want hockey, even if it is a shortened season. Yes, there is a small part of me that feels, at the moment, like it wouldn't be valued the same if we won the cup on a shortened season. However, I know when the moment comes I'll love it all the same. You're still going to have to win games to get there.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:16 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Yes, there is a small part of me that feels, at the moment, like it wouldn't be valued the same if we won the cup on a shortened season.
People went nuts on me here when I said that same thing. I still believe it. If the season started in January, and we ended up winning the cup. It wouldn't feel that great, and it would always have an asterisk next to it in my opinion.

NOT. GOOD. ENOUGH.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:16 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Nov 28, 2012 8:56a

Today's mediation session with NHL and NHLPA is slated to start at 1 pm ET

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/s...87504237375488

Old
11-28-2012, 10:20 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
People went nuts on me here when I said that same thing. I still believe it. If the season started in January, and we ended up winning the cup. It wouldn't feel that great, and it would always have an asterisk next to it in my opinion.

NOT. GOOD. ENOUGH.
But I did state after the part you quoted that I would put it past me and enjoy the moment if it were to happen.

Quite honestly, you're going to have to swallow your pride on this one. With the potential ramifications of the cba solution, the cap could possibly lower. We will end up losing a high salaried figure, most likely gaborik. Yes we could probably replace him with someone, albeit of lesser value, but the roster still will not be as good as it is right now. Henrik, Richards, Nash, Callahan, etc will all be one year older. This is the year for THIS roster and for us fans, shortened season or not.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Cup is not awarded to regular season play. Jersey was the best team in the playoffs that year just like LA was the best team in the playoffs last spring. They almost missed the playoffs.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:30 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
The Cup is not awarded to regular season play. Jersey was the best team in the playoffs that year just like LA was the best team in the playoffs last spring. They almost missed the playoffs.
Extremely valid and great point. LAK barely sneaked into the playoffs. Barely sneaked in with the roster they had at the START of the season before they even made the deadline deals they did. The Stanley Cup holds much more weight than the President's Trophy. 48-52 games is still a lot. And you're going to have to win games the same way you would over the course of 82 games. There's no guarantees. No guarantees the same way teams that are expected to make the playoffs and miss, will probably lean on the excuse that they got into one bad slump during a 48 game season and it cost them so of course they'd want an * next to the season.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:32 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Good point.

11-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Levitate

Quote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...s=rss_capitals

Article in the Washington Post. Bettman is in town. He must love reading that quote this morning.
I am going to laugh my ass off if the NHL comes out of the lockout and owners jack up ticket prices to compensate for fewer games and lost revenue.

I'll laugh even more if they lose a bunch of corporate sponsors and have trouble signing deals in the future. What a joke.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:44 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If the Rangers had won the Cup in 1995,how many Ranger fans would have said back to back Cup wins were tainted? The other fans would have been complaining about the Rangers buying another Cup. What's the alternative? No season at all. The shorter the season. The smaller the make whole/transition payments will be for 12-13 or just 13. They still play 4 rounds in the playoffs. Ownership keeps most of that money. The players will get a greater % in their playoff pool money in the new CBA but NHL keeps the majority of the playoff money.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:30 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I'm going to laugh when all the debbie downers change their tune if they get a shortened season.

Am I mad? Absolutely, but I'm not turning my back on the game and the team that I eat, breathe and sleep for because of the greedy *******s at the top of the structure.

**** that. Blind faith or not, shortened season or not, I'd be happy to have the NHL back. I'm dying without it.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
If the Rangers had won the Cup in 1995,how many Ranger fans would have said back to back Cup wins were tainted?
I wouldn't have wanted it.

How would I feel about this shortened season, ask me in July.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:36 AM
NYR Viper

Would Drury be getting paid during this lockout? I was just wondering that.........

Closed Thread