HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Griffin Reinhart - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2012, 4th overall, New York Islanders)

Old
11-27-2012, 12:57 PM
KrisBeKreame

vCash: 500
What side of the D pairing does he normally play? Does he seem to be just as good from either?

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:12 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
What side of the D pairing does he normally play? Does he seem to be just as good from either?
If I remember correctly, I am very sure he plays LD. But he goes where needs to be in the defensive zone to help his D-partner or bail out a bad mistake.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:11 PM
StrongIslanders90

Cant wait till the BIG GRIFF lands on the Island(Brooklyn)

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:21 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland View Post
Huh? That's pretty much the only place in the past few years where the Isles have shown themselves to be anything other than incompetent. They've done a good job of collecting talent. They've got a top farm system that's deep in all positions.
Yeah...Not as hard when you pick top 5 every year (and I'm an Isles fan).

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:35 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Yeah...Not as hard when you pick top 5 every year (and I'm an Isles fan).
How many top 5 picks picked during he Snow Era are playing in the NHL right now? YOu forget about several good picks made after the first round. Ie Hamonic, Donovon, Martin, Poulin, Ullstrom, Nilsson, Cizikas, Lee, Nelson, Kabanov etc.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:12 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
How many top 5 picks picked during he Snow Era are playing in the NHL right now? YOu forget about several good picks made after the first round. Ie Hamonic, Donovon, Martin, Poulin, Ullstrom, Nilsson, Cizikas, Lee, Nelson, Kabanov etc.
I didn't forget any of them. Not knocking the later picks which are as good as any team has made from rounds 2-7 over the past 5 years (although they've also had some bizarro throwaway picks in those rounds during the same period).

That said, my original comment was trying to make the point that with Wang in charge I believe the Isles are going nowhere no matter how well they draft. They have a great prospect pool...Wonderful. I'm interested in winning the Stanley Cup, and I don't believe that Wang has the brain to hire the right people and make the moves necessary to develop those prospects into players that will lead to Stanley Cups (and I'm taking into account the move to Barclays Center).

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:09 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Has anyone heard anything about Hockey Canada's appeal of the 4 game suspension he got at WJC?...i think it carries over to next year's WJC (if it's not successfully appealed).

If the full suspension carries over, I'm not sure whether it will affect his chances of making the team. It would mean he misses the entire prelim round (including the NYE game vs USA). But he's also been there before, so you'd think HC would want his experience. Also, now that they've changed things so the group winner no longer gets a bye to the semi finals it might not be such a big deal if he's not there.

My one concern is that inevitably someone is going to be an idiot and get suspended early on...so it won't help if we're already down someone...although it's usually a forward who gets suspended, so maybe it won't matter.

Of course, I'm assuming he won't be in the NHL next year. If he is, none of this matters.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:28 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Has anyone heard anything about Hockey Canada's appeal of the 4 game suspension he got at WJC?...i think it carries over to next year's WJC (if it's not successfully appealed).

If the full suspension carries over, I'm not sure whether it will affect his chances of making the team. It would mean he misses the entire prelim round (including the NYE game vs USA). But he's also been there before, so you'd think HC would want his experience. Also, now that they've changed things so the group winner no longer gets a bye to the semi finals it might not be such a big deal if he's not there.

My one concern is that inevitably someone is going to be an idiot and get suspended early on...so it won't help if we're already down someone...although it's usually a forward who gets suspended, so maybe it won't matter.

Of course, I'm assuming he won't be in the NHL next year. If he is, none of this matters.
I thought I remembered reading that it would eat up the round robin games then he'd be back anyways but I'm not sure on the answer to your question.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:38 AM
StrongIslanders90

MY boy Griff!! He's the Big Cat...calm and cool

Old
09-24-2013, 03:13 PM
CREW99AW

Griffin Reinhart's potential

This is Reinhart's 2nd NYI training camp. He was solid last yr and has been getting props from the coaches , a team scout and the press in this yr's camp. He looks like he will get at least a 9 game look, to start the season.

There is plenty of debate among NYI fans about whether Reinhart would be better off returning to juniors, where he can play 25 mins a game and work to improve offensively or whether he should stick on LI all season.

One poster suggested sending him back, gave him a chance to develop into a dominate defenseman like Pietranglo.

Does Reinhart have that type of upside and is he better served returning to juniors for 1 more season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
This is Reinhart's 2nd NYI training camp. He was solid last yr and has been getting props from the coaches , a team scout and the press in this yr's camp. He looks like he will get at least a 9 game look, to start the season.

There is plenty of debate among NYI fans about whether Reinhart would be better off returning to juniors, where he can play 25 mins a game and work to improve offensively or whether he should stick on LI all season.

One poster suggested sending him back, gave him a chance to develop into a dominate defenseman like Pietranglo.

Does Reinhart have that type of upside and is he better served returning to juniors for 1 more season.
I don't think he has the same upside as Pietranglo. Another season in the WHL won't increase his offense level that significantly. I like him as a solid #2 guy down the road.

That being said, I think he's pretty much done everything he can at the Junior level. Playing for a still strong Oil King squad may not be the best for his growth.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:47 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

I think he will turn into a guy like Braydon Coburn. And contrary to popular belief on this website, that's a pretty good defensemen.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:47 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Less physical Brent Seabrook? And in that I mean top pairing, all situation D, good for mid 30s-40 pts

King In The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:50 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
I really don't know how to peg his potential. At the time of the 2008 draft, I don't think anyone expected Pietrangelo to become the kind of defenceman he is today. Similarly, I don't think people realize the kind of upside Reinhart has. Whether or not he will reach it is debatable. I think given his physical tools, he should be a very competent defenceman. His hockey IQ will do the rest of the work - it will make or break him, making him either a franchise defenceman, or more of a complementary defenceman. Personally I expect him as a top end middle pairing defenceman or a mid-range top pairing d-man, but we'll see just how erratic a d-mans development can be.

CanadienShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
I think he will turn into a guy like Braydon Coburn. And contrary to popular belief on this website, that's a pretty good defensemen.
This is actually a decent comparison.

I don't think Reinhart, even with another year of junior, has Pietrangelo's natural offensive skill. So I don't think an extra year in the WHL will result in him developing a huge offensive game (Pietrangelo was an offensive stud way before his final season). But I do think it can help develop whatever offensive upside Reinhart does have.

Another guy I've sort of likened Reinhart's ultimate upside to is Marc Staal. A good shutdown defenseman who can also chip in 25+ points.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 05:51 PM
startainfection

stud number 1 dman

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
I really don't know how to peg his potential. At the time of the 2008 draft, I don't think anyone expected Pietrangelo to become the kind of defenceman he is today. Similarly, I don't think people realize the kind of upside Reinhart has. Whether or not he will reach it is debatable. I think given his physical tools, he should be a very competent defenceman. His hockey IQ will do the rest of the work - it will make or break him, making him either a franchise defenceman, or more of a complementary defenceman. Personally I expect him as a top end middle pairing defenceman or a mid-range top pairing d-man, but we'll see just how erratic a d-mans development can be.
There were some pretty clear signs with Pietrangelo as early as a few months after he was drafted. I liked what I saw out of Reinhart, this year, but he didn't look like he was heading down the same road as Pietrangelo did. Mind you, he still looks to be a damn good defenseman.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Coburn, Staal, Cowen, Reinhart
All in the same boat at different stages in their careers.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:51 PM
tc23

vCash: 1636
Really big fan of Griff. I see him as a 40-ish point dman who can shut down top lines in his prime.

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

He has more offensive abilities than I thought, faster than I thought and less physical than I thought. I think the speed was because he dropped weight and improved in the offseason.

I think he is really pushing for those 9 games which wasn't likely going into the training camp.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:08 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
This is actually a decent comparison.

I don't think Reinhart, even with another year of junior, has Pietrangelo's natural offensive skill. So I don't think an extra year in the WHL will result in him developing a huge offensive game (Pietrangelo was an offensive stud way before his final season). But I do think it can help develop whatever offensive upside Reinhart does have.

Another guy I've sort of likened Reinhart's ultimate upside to is Marc Staal. A good shutdown defenseman who can also chip in 25+ points.
That's pretty funny because I was just going to ask if he can be a Marc Staal type of player, which I would be very happy about.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:36 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc23 View Post
Really big fan of Griff. I see him as a 40-ish point dman who can shut down top lines in his prime.
I'd be REALLY shocked if Reinhart ever put up 40 points in an NHL season...

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 03:37 AM
CREW99AW

Thanks for the feedback. I waiver on keeping Reinhart up. I would love for him to step in and help this season , but if one more season in juniors can bring out untapped offense, I would prefer he return to juniors.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 03:42 AM
tc23

vCash: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
I'd be REALLY shocked if Reinhart ever put up 40 points in an NHL season...
Reinhart has some good offensive instincts. If he continues to develop and plays top pairing, top PP minutes on a strong Islanders team, 40 points isn't unrealistic.

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 07:03 AM
StrongIslanders90

Absolutley love this kids composure..He has been one of the Isles best defenseman in Preseason and has looked like an NHL player....Hes only 19 though, can he sustain that good play for an entire 82 NHL game season?