HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Which players are involved in more great plays than we think?

Old
11-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Which players are involved in more great plays than we think?

Alright, the obvious ones are Gretzky and Messier and Richard and Beliveau and such because they not only played a long time but won a ton of championships so our memory remembers them involved all the time.

But which players in hindsight were involved in more plays than we tend to remember. Who was on the ice more than we think for these great plays. I am going to throw a name out:

Serge Savard - Winning 8 Stanley Cups is going to put you in a lot of good situations but it was more than that. We don't always think about Savard on those great teams but he was there. For example he was on the ice for Henderson's winning goal in 1972. He was on the ice for Sittler's goal in the 1976 Canada Cup. It was him who chipped it up the boards to Potvin, then to McDonald, then Dionne then Sittler. He also made a brilliant just before the Lambert overtime goal in 1979 against the Bruins. Savard broke a rush going the other way and quickly fired a pass on the counter to Tremblay at center who then rushed to the net to feed Lambert for the winner. Savard is a player who was always starting plays and was in the background of those teams and he probably liked it that way.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:10 PM
LeBlondeDemon10

Savard was also on the ice for the "Too many men goal". He didn't touch the puck during this power play, but nonetheless, I think you have identified that he has a tendency to be on the ice for the big ones.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Savard was also on the ice for the "Too many men goal". He didn't touch the puck during this power play, but nonetheless, I think you have identified that he has a tendency to be on the ice for the big ones.
That's right he was. He was sort of supporting Lafleur as he was travelling up the ice. I love the reaction of the Canadiens players after the goal is scored. Such confidence, more of a "it took you long enough" approach.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

I had just mentioned this in the AAA Draft.

Jon Casey...you'd think 0, but it's actually 2. Lemieux's "oh baby" goal in the 1991 Finals and Yzerman's "Gretzky had it, lost it...Detroit wins!" Double-OT goal in game 7 of the '96 Western Semis...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Johnny Engine

Off the top of my head, scoring two goals and getting beaten by Darren McCarty on one of the flashiest cup winning goals in recent memory is quite the highlight reel for Ron Hextall. I don't have any off the top of my head memories of his 1987 Smythe win, but with the Oilers inolved, there had to be something.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Canadiens1958

Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Watch the Lafleur goal and you will see Serge Savard set a beautiful pick between the Red Line and Boston blue line that gives Lafleur time and space.

Then in overtime he strips the puck from a rushing Bruin and transitions the rush that produced the OT winner. He would have been the third assist.

Two key offensive plays, but zero points.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:52 PM
LeBlondeDemon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Watch the Lafleur goal and you will see Serge Savard set a beautiful pick between the Red Line and Boston blue line that gives Lafleur time and space.

Then in overtime he strips the puck from a rushing Bruin and transitions the rush that produced the OT winner. He would have been the third assist.

Two key offensive plays, but zero points.
I think he was on the ice for the first Canadien's goal too; a powerplay where he stood in front of the net screening Gilbert, a Bowman tactic. To me, Savard is the MVP of that game. His positional and man-to-man play was exceptional. Early in the game, doesn't he make a save on a Bruin when Dryden is down and out?

Old
11-26-2012, 10:29 PM
pdd

Vladimir Konstantinov.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
Off the top of my head, scoring two goals and getting beaten by Darren McCarty on one of the flashiest cup winning goals in recent memory is quite the highlight reel for Ron Hextall. I don't have any off the top of my head memories of his 1987 Smythe win, but with the Oilers inolved, there had to be something.
1995 ECF, Game 5. Philly has fought back to tie the series at 2-2, and late in the pivotal 2-2 game at home...

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Since his name popped up already in the thread , what about Guy Lafleur?

How clutch was this guy...

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
Since his name popped up already in the thread , what about Guy Lafleur?

How clutch was this guy...
Very clutch but I was thinking more along the lines of players that are more subtle. We all know Lafleur has been involved on many great moments because he stands out. Try and name a player who often gets forgotten but was present for a lot of those moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
The best I could come up with is the save Hextall made off of Craig MacTavish in Game 7 of the 1987 Cup final. Couldn't find it on Youtube at all though but he kept them in the game.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:39 PM
LeBlondeDemon10

For some reason the name Charlie Huddy keeps popping into my head, but I can't vividly remember any plays. I can't even check the hockey summary project for stats on big goals because my security system is blocking it.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
I'll mention Kovalev and Zubov.

When you think of the '94 Rangers run, the first names you think about are Messier, Leetch, Richter - and deservedly so. After that, you hear about supporting players like Anderson, Graves, Matteau ... But the Russians don't seem to get talked about much ... considering that both Kovalev and Zubov played crucial roles in the playoff run (a major reason for this was there were a lot of PPs in those playoffs).

When their season was in dire straits - down 3-2 and 2-0 in Game 6 to the Devils - it was Kovalev that got the Rangers on the board. Then in the third, he drew a Devils defenceman (Driver?) out of position, leaving Daneyko to cover 2 guys, before dishing off to a now-open Messier for the tying goal. And the winner, of course, came on a Messier rebound off a Kovalev shot.

Then came the finals. Game 4, the Rangers came back from a 2-0 deficit in large part due to Zubov, who brought the puck up ice and scored on a PP in the final minute of the second to tie it 2-2, and to Kovalev, who got position on Lumme and converted a Leetch pass for the game winner. Zubov would also pick up an assist on Larmer's 4-2 fluke goal from centre ice.

The Canucks would take Games 5 and 6; notably Kovalev again scored the goal to cut the deficit to 2-1 in Game 6, although this time the Rangers would not capitalize.

I recently watched a replay of Game 7, and after watching it, you could make a good case that Zubov was the best player on the ice, bar none. He was involved in all three Rangers goals - he made a great pass to Leetch for the first goal, made the pass to spring Kovalev and Graves on a 2-on-1 for the second goal, and then threw it at the net on a PP creating a scramble resulting in the third goal, disputed between Messier and Noonan. But in the third period he really shone - Zubov made two or three great defensive plays. The one that really stood out came with around 8 minutes left, when Bure dangled through a crowd of Rangers, including Leetch, and was in 1-on-1 with Zubov the last man back, but Zubov angled him away from the net and denied him a shot. In the final 1:30, Zubov and Leetch were the pairing on the ice. Zubov cleared the puck at least three times (although one was called icing). He cleared a rebound away from Courtnall with about 15 seconds left, then blocked a Courtnall shot (which would turn out to be the last Canucks shot of the game), then pounced on the puck and sent it up the boards where Larmer cleared it to seal the win.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote