HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 07:19 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
As for people going way off side and getting mad at you for not passing the pick which started this conversation direction, it's great and all if someone does it but generally that's for organized competitive hockey where you actually have a coach. In general beer or rec league play it's up to the guy without the puck to keep an eye on the carrier and stay onside.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:23 PM
JR97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I think that's more or less why I can play at the higher levels but can't cut it as a ringer at the lower ones. I'm in my 5th year and still loving every minute of it, and personally I'm having the most fun when I'm panting for breath on the bench after each shift. My hockey IQ is also half decent. On the other hand I just don't have the puck skills required to deke through people, protect the puck, or slow the game down.
this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've been playing for... damn. Many years. I played top level for our league for quite a few years. It was hard accepting that I couldn't hang as I got older as an individual player even though I could hang in the context of a team. I ended up playing lower. It's very frustrating playing with guys that are ok skill wise but have zero hockey IQ. I'd rather be the worst on the team skill/speed wise but know that I can make hockey plays instead of having to rely and skill/speed that is diminishing because I can't make standard hockey plays due to teammates not knowing what to do.

This year has been rough. The only thing that helps me keep the sanity is playing in multiple leagues. That and beer. I'll still take post-game beer in a blowout loss than sitting in some bar with a beer I didn't "earn".

Old
11-20-2012, 07:56 PM
langcam

Beer league goons. Seriously, how pathetic..

Old
11-25-2012, 03:24 PM
ArcataShark
Anyone say comeback?

One of the better players in my C league got mad after I moved him from the front of the net and he turned around and checked me hard to the cage. Lolz! Oh and they were up 4 - 0 with a 1:50 left. He did say sorry during the handshake. I'm in his head.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Cause that takes effort-something most beer leaguers don't like giving. Just show up and play and hope for the best, that's the attitude that kills me and I see it all the time. Guys don't work out, they don't even attempt to eat right, don't invest in new equipment or replace the hockey museum collection they have and never practice. Then when it's game time and my team is the lowest scoring team in the league for 3 straight seasons they can't figure out why. If you don't want to do what it takes to either stay a decent hockey player or improve guys should voluntarily move down divisions until they are at the bottom where you can just show up and play and nobody cares. I can count the number of times I've heard a guy say he's moving down because he can't hang anymore on one hand.
I'm also the high motor, effort, take care of yourself off the ice player and I have improved greatly because of it. There are also the little plays that require effort that I take pride in doing. I, however, have come to terms that a lot of guys on my team may not do it all off the ice and that is ok. If they show up and put in a good effort on game days or play a smarter game, I can work with that. Do I keep telling them I'll lead any team workouts we want to do? Sure. Maybe once in a blue moon someone will take me up on it. Though, I do offer mostly for the health benefits and use hockey as a better motivator than "because its good for you."

Old
11-26-2012, 02:01 AM
CanucksSayEh

Took a spill into the boards on Thurday night. Something pinched hard between my hand,stick and the board. My right pinky burst open like a jelly timbit. Taped it up and came back in, then got into a scrum with some ******, puck wasn't anywhere near and he starts crosschecking me every which way. He must of had 3 inches and 100pounds on me, I pulled his head down and gave some jabs all while trying to protect my right hand. After the ref broke us up he took a full sucker swing to my cheek. He got the boot from the game while i got 4 mins.

Did not expect rec league to get so rough when i joined. Broken finger with stitches but still ok to play just gotta watch for infection. Team thinks im a total badass now too lol.

Old
11-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by langcam View Post
Played against one of these teams yesterday...

The first 10 minutes of the game was OK, but then I "boarded" (little push to the back, and he dives to the boards) one of the tough guys of the opponent, and hell breaks loose. Then, when I get back from the penalty box, the same idiot runs our goalie. After the whistle I give him a little push, and he's down on the ice again.

Through the game, they continue to take cheapshots (in a no hitting league), so I decided to return the call and start embellishing a bit. As a result, 3 penalties to the opponent, one of which resulted in our game-winning PP goal. Probably won't have any friends in that team, but luckily I couldn't care less.

And to clarify, I usually play very clean, and focus on playmaking. But when I get annoyed...

Old
11-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

When the opposition roughs me up I turn into Xavier LaFlamme and just turtle up in the corner of the rink.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:55 AM

I'm big on getting pucks up the ice quick. So I really hate when a skilled defenseman turns back into the defensive zone when pressured or the defense does a D to D to D to D pass waiting for players to break. Where are we going to break to... the other team already has 5 players on the defensive side of the red line.

I also hate players with blinders on. They leave the defensive zone and take the puck right to the net again... and again... and again. Sometime you get that hole but when its forced over and over again its mind numbingly annoying. I even hate when pro players do it never mind in a beer league.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I also hate players with blinders on. They leave the defensive zone and take the puck right to the net again... and again... and again. Sometime you get that hole but when its forced over and over again its mind numbingly annoying. I even hate when pro players do it never mind in a beer league.
That's me.

And I do it because I suck at everything else

Not that I'm good at what you said anyway.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
As for people going way off side and getting mad at you for not passing the pick which started this conversation direction, it's great and all if someone does it but generally that's for organized competitive hockey where you actually have a coach. In general beer or rec league play it's up to the guy without the puck to keep an eye on the carrier and stay onside.
Yes and no.

Nothing is more frustrating than attacking the zone and some idiot decides to hold onto the puck too long/deke through everyone in the process putting his team offside.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:09 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

As other people have said I think the most frustrating thing on the ice is a lack of effort and zero hockey IQ. I have guys I have been playing with for over 2 years that have gotten no smarter as far as the game goes in that time. I don't understand how you play game after game and pick up on nothing.

Now I just try my best to enjoy myself out there and not to worry as much about the other guys as it would ruin every game for me and this is supposed to be fun.

Old
11-26-2012, 03:32 PM
doobie604

Quote:
I'm big on getting pucks up the ice quick. So I really hate when a skilled defenseman turns back into the defensive zone when pressured or the defense does a D to D to D to D pass waiting for players to break. Where are we going to break to... the other team already has 5 players on the defensive side of the red line.

but that's the proper way of dealing with the "trap"... turn back when all opposing players are back at the red line and break out with speed. forward turn back and support the D for passing options. when the group breaks out together with speed, there will be passing options as well as dump and chase options. the worst is forward standing still at the red line or opposing blue line waiting for a pass. even when the pass come, not much you can do standing still.

Old
11-26-2012, 05:04 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Yes and no.

Nothing is more frustrating than attacking the zone and some idiot decides to hold onto the puck too long/deke through everyone in the process putting his team offside.
Yeah I don't mean they can just start stick handling along the blue line

When the puck handler reaches the line he has to gain the zone. A quick deke or two is okay if they're able to effectively get past the dman, taking a few seconds to admire your moves is not.

For the other forwards even if you're a few feet in front you need to slow down or delay a second and watch for the puck carrier gain the zone. I mean if they can recognize that you're a few feet in front, think it's best to gain the zone at full speed and act accordingly, then great. But in beer league hockey it's not something you can ever count on, this is really an area where you need some coaching to step in and drill it into the players.

Now for frustrations I generally play with good guys now but I remember on my first beginners team there was this one guy with decent hands which became a liability because he'd always gain the zone then put blinders on and try to stick handle through the two dmen and any back checking forwards. Every. Single. Time. He'd make it through maybe once every few games

Old
11-26-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
but that's the proper way of dealing with the "trap"... turn back when all opposing players are back at the red line and break out with speed. forward turn back and support the D for passing options. when the group breaks out together with speed, there will be passing options as well as dump and chase options. the worst is forward standing still at the red line or opposing blue line waiting for a pass. even when the pass come, not much you can do standing still.
Eh... diferent strokes I guess.

I like more of a torpedo break out. Pucks get played to the wall and then up to the torpedo players before any player can get into the neutral zone.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:41 PM
doobie604

Quote:
Eh... diferent strokes I guess.

I like more of a torpedo break out. Pucks get played to the wall and then up to the torpedo players before any player can get into the neutral zone.
yeah for sure that's a different play, but not always possible with opposing pinching dmen cutting off the pass off the wall. played with teams that try to transition and rush every chance we get and played with teams that slow the play down and actually set it up. but like you said, different strokes. i find it easier to defend against those type of play though, center will be in high slot either stopping the ring around the board or support the d when d pinches to cut off the pass. and even if the ring around is successful, the attacker is usually out numbered unless they're cherry picking and it got by the D man trying to cut off the pass.

Old
11-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Torquenstein

Played like sh
Even the benders on my team at least scored a point... I hate beer league, well except for the beers after the game

Old
11-27-2012, 07:10 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by langcam View Post
I had a guy try and pick a fight with me in a pickup game among friends, he was just a drop in to our group. I just laughed and skated away, but kept my eye on him. I didn't even do anything to him except shoulder him a bit during a faceoff.

Like seriously, you show up to a pick up game and try to start ****?

Old
11-27-2012, 08:34 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I had a guy try and pick a fight with me in a pickup game among friends, he was just a drop in to our group. I just laughed and skated away, but kept my eye on him. I didn't even do anything to him except shoulder him a bit during a faceoff.

Like seriously, you show up to a pick up game and try to start ****?
now that is funny, love the way too serious "this is hockey" types.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:40 PM
octopi

I'm so terrible it's hard for me to find places to play.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:55 PM
7toZulu

I'm a scorekeeper for the rink I play at. On Sunday night I covered a C league game for the first time( usually score for the A league), and it was a complete and utter **** show. Dudes were getting so hyped and mad I couldn't believe it. Dudes screaming at flubbing shots, yelling and throwing things if they messed up.... Never again will I score a C league game, at east the better players can keep their **** together.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
yeah for sure that's a different play, but not always possible with opposing pinching dmen cutting off the pass off the wall. played with teams that try to transition and rush every chance we get and played with teams that slow the play down and actually set it up. but like you said, different strokes. i find it easier to defend against those type of play though, center will be in high slot either stopping the ring around the board or support the d when d pinches to cut off the pass. and even if the ring around is successful, the attacker is usually out numbered unless they're cherry picking and it got by the D man trying to cut off the pass.
Yeah I guess it depends on what type of team is there too. I actually used that torpedo style when coaching. We had big tough defenseman that weren't overly skilled so ringing pucks around the boards or just playing them to the wall worked because the skill was up front. If teams caught on to the board play we would bring the weak side to center ice and just control one half of the ice or the other.

We would hold that formation into the offensive zone and teams would have trouble getting out of their own zone. If we did lose control of the puck in the offensive zone we would fall back into a 1-3-1 the front 1 would direct pucks to either side and if plays were broken up the weak side would jump back into a regular2-2-1. It worked out for us but we had a pretty unique team.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:41 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Yeah I don't mean they can just start stick handling along the blue line

When the puck handler reaches the line he has to gain the zone. A quick deke or two is okay if they're able to effectively get past the dman, taking a few seconds to admire your moves is not.

For the other forwards even if you're a few feet in front you need to slow down or delay a second and watch for the puck carrier gain the zone. I mean if they can recognize that you're a few feet in front, think it's best to gain the zone at full speed and act accordingly, then great. But in beer league hockey it's not something you can ever count on, this is really an area where you need some coaching to step in and drill it into the players.

Now for frustrations I generally play with good guys now but I remember on my first beginners team there was this one guy with decent hands which became a liability because he'd always gain the zone then put blinders on and try to stick handle through the two dmen and any back checking forwards. Every. Single. Time. He'd make it through maybe once every few games
Yeah I have a guy like that on my team. Good player but **** is he frustrating when he tries to gain the line and go through 3-4 players.

I almost wish there was contact in our league as hed get demolished once and stop doing that.

Im certainly not a great player and I suck at skating but I have a good idea of where to put the puck even if I cant always get it there.

What Ive found is some player have good skating and puck handling skills and not a lot of positional sense.

These are the guys that tend to "run" with the puck and end up being successful 1 out of 4 times.

Not only do they tend to make too many moves at the line they also do it further back and slow the rush down which means the other forwards have to slow down and get off key.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

One of the guys on my team looked at some of our level's leading scorers, all in four games:

11g - 3a
8g - 3a
8g - 2a

PPG or a little higher is just fine, but averaging 2-3 goals and an assist per game is ridiculous. When you take away the ringers, these teams drop right down to the pack in terms of scoring.

Hope the league does something about this soon, because I don't want a wasted $8,000 season.

For the record, this is level C3, the lowest C level. There's C2, C1, B3, B2, and B1 above them. Not like there's nowhere to go.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
One of the guys on my team looked at some of our level's leading scorers, all in four games:

11g - 3a
8g - 3a
8g - 2a

PPG or a little higher is just fine, but averaging 2-3 goals and an assist per game is ridiculous. When you take away the ringers, these teams drop right down to the pack in terms of scoring.

Hope the league does something about this soon, because I don't want a wasted $8,000 season.

For the record, this is level C3, the lowest C level. There's C2, C1, B3, B2, and B1 above them. Not like there's nowhere to go.
$8000? Per?

Closed Thread