HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2014, 3rd overall, Edmonton)

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Maverick41

vCash: 500
So after 3 pre-season games. Draisaitl has 2g 4a.

It's only pre-season, but since I don't have anything else to go on, I'll take it as a good sign.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:56 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Damn I know its still really early on, but I am liking this kid. He has some good hands.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:10 PM
caley

In 27 games, he's up to 23 points. Was watching a taped copy of the Brandon-PA massacre from the other night and Draisaitl really stands out. I'm not sure he has a point in the game, but every time he's out there, he's creating and shooting and generally looking like a dominant player, even though he's not eligible until 2014. And, he looks TALL out there. Elite Prospects has him at 6', while the WHL website has him at 6'1", but he looks way bigger, like in the 6'3"-6'4" region. I'm quite high on him at the moment, could be a darkhorse pick for 2014.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:04 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
In 27 games, he's up to 23 points. Was watching a taped copy of the Brandon-PA massacre from the other night and Draisaitl really stands out. I'm not sure he has a point in the game, but every time he's out there, he's creating and shooting and generally looking like a dominant player, even though he's not eligible until 2014. And, he looks TALL out there. Elite Prospects has him at 6', while the WHL website has him at 6'1", but he looks way bigger, like in the 6'3"-6'4" region. I'm quite high on him at the moment, could be a darkhorse pick for 2014.
Even at this juncture, I think he's being looked at as a top 60 pick in that draft.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Even at this juncture, I think he's being looked at as a top 60 pick in that draft.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1279775

Well in this thread he was already called a possible Top 15 pick and Ive read some early players-to-watch lists and he was included in all of them. So right now I think he is definitly first-round talent.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:24 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Watched that game as well, and pretty much every thing you typed I agree with.

Esecially the size factor, he looks substantially taller than McNeil, with a fairly slender body type. Looks like he has tonnes of room to add to that large frame.

He made NHL plays all over the ice, whether they were hard, crisp cross ice passes in the neutral zone, or just plays in general that were low risk but the right play.

I'd like to see more goals (and I think they will come) but he looked really good during this game.

I want to see more, definitely 1st round talent for 2014 - I think if he was eligible this year, he'd be a top 30 on a lot of lists (mind you this is all coming from one viewing on television, during a blowout).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1279775

Well in this thread he was already called a possible Top 15 pick and Ive read some early players-to-watch lists and he was included in all of them. So right now I think he is definitly first-round talent.
Yeah, he's a first rounder right now in my mind.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Yeah, he's a first rounder right now in my mind.
I generally agree that it is looking real good right now, but there's lots of time before his draft rolls around.

In addition, who were the last Germans to go in the first round? Sturm and Goc, I believe. Both did extraordinarily well in the DEL at a young age. Both have been fine little NHLers in their own right, but neither has been a big time scorer.

The next most promising offensive players to come along out of Germany since those two have been Kuhnhackl and Rieder, yet they went in mid-ranged rounds. Like Draisaitl, they too went to Canadian Juniors, albeit Kuhnhackl first went after having been drafted (and staying in Landshut his draft season was something Tom later admitted was likely a mistake).

This could all mean nothing, but I interpret this last little bit of history as showing that NHL squads will, at this juncture, generally be careful/sceptical about drafting Germans with their first overall pick. Of course, if Draisaitl is an exception, he's an exception. They'll also be seeing lots of him over a two year span in the WHL and likely at all international tournaments (including the upcoming WJC). I can imagine that a huge 13-14 season in the WHL could prompt his status considerably. The scouts will naturally recognize whether he's first round quality, regardless of heritage. That is logo.

He had a real nice U-18 and there are certain aspects of his game and offensvie awareness that are very promising and honestly, seldom seen at this age from a European south of Scandinavia and west of the Czech Republic. Then again, it was clear that he still has much to learn and improve on. There's plenty of time for that. At this juncture, I think he'll slide into things 'draftwise' much like Denmark's Nicklas Jensen did, a young man widely considered to be the most talented player Denmark may have ever produced.

Definitely fun and something I hope the hockey press in Germany gives a good bit of attention to.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I generally agree that it is looking real good right now, but there's lots of time before his draft rolls around.

In addition, who were the last Germans to go in the first round? Sturm and Goc, I believe. Both did extraordinarily well in the DEL at a young age. Both have been fine little NHLers in their own right, but neither has been a big time scorer.

The next most promising offensive players to come along out of Germany since those two have been Kuhnhackl and Rieder, yet they went in mid-ranged rounds. Like Draisaitl, they too went to Canadian Juniors, albeit Kuhnhackl first went after having been drafted (and staying in Landshut his draft season was something Tom later admitted was likely a mistake).

This could all mean nothing, but I interpret this last little bit of history as showing that NHL squads will, at this juncture, generally be careful/sceptical about drafting Germans with their first overall pick. Of course, if Draisaitl is an exception, he's an exception. They'll also be seeing lots of him over a two year span in the WHL and likely at all international tournaments (including the upcoming WJC). I can imagine that a huge 13-14 season in the WHL could prompt his status considerably. The scouts will naturally recognize whether he's first round quality, regardless of heritage. That is logo.

He had a real nice U-18 and there are certain aspects of his game and offensvie awareness that are very promising and honestly, seldom seen at this age from a European south of Scandinavia and west of the Czech Republic. Then again, it was clear that he still has much to learn and improve on. There's plenty of time for that. At this juncture, I think he'll slide into things 'draftwise' much like Denmark's Nicklas Jensen did, a young man widely considered to be the most talented player Denmark may have ever produced.

Definitely fun and something I hope the hockey press in Germany gives a good bit of attention to.
Realistically Christian Ehrhoff is probably the best offensive German player in the NHL.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Realistically Christian Ehrhoff is probably the best offensive German player in the NHL.
Indeed!

I should have written 'forwards', not just 'offensive players'.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:54 AM
shello
@WShello9

His name reminds me more of a soccer name not a hockey name lol.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:57 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
His name reminds me more of a soccer name not a hockey name lol.
His father was very good player (hockey of course ) .

Old
11-30-2012, 11:41 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
He had a fantastic game the other night against Lethbridge. Two pure dynamite assists when I was watching.

I full expect him to be a top 15 pick, if not higher, next year.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Daneurism

The argument up top about tempering enthusiasm because of previous german prospects...I just don't get. It's not as if he's doing this overseas in a german league. He's playing in the WHL and being judged against his peers.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:37 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
He had a fantastic game the other night against Lethbridge. Two pure dynamite assists when I was watching.

I full expect him to be a top 15 pick, if not higher, next year.
I don't want to make predictions, but if he improves next season in comparison to the season he is currently having, I can actually see a top 5 (even a top 3) selection.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
The argument up top about tempering enthusiasm because of previous german prospects...I just don't get. It's not as if he's doing this overseas in a german league. He's playing in the WHL and being judged against his peers.
Oh, it's not necessarily an argument. It's purely conjecture and little more than an interpretation of possibilities based on recent German prospect draft history with respect to first rounders.

It's all in Leon's hands to position himself as a top round draft possibility, regardless of where he originates from.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:54 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I watched him in the Raiders' game tonight against Spokane. His vision is great - I don't think he put up any points but he made some incredible, completely unexpected passes that could've easily led to assists.

On the downside, his skating is flat-out bad. Of course, that can always be improved, but if he doesn't get drafted as high as people think he will, look no further for your reason why.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:12 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I watched him in the Raiders' game tonight against Spokane. His vision is great - I don't think he put up any points but he made some incredible, completely unexpected passes that could've easily led to assists.

On the downside, his skating is flat-out bad. Of course, that can always be improved, but if he doesn't get drafted as high as people think he will, look no further for your reason why.
Definitely needs work, but that's not uncommon for a 16 year old European adjusting to smaller ice. It's already improved since the start of the year. And it's funny, his skating improves immensely when the pucks on his stick. Automatically looks more fluid and balanced.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:56 PM
ByeBye

May be way too early but it's nice to see a fellow German making a push for round 1-3 again.
He's probably looked as good as you can in a 3-9 loss today and he's still very young. Looking good all around.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Kershaw

People mention his skating is rough, but it looked exceptional in the Canada game.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
People mention his skating is rough, but it looked exceptional in the Canada game.
Agreed. I recall a few instances where he skated away from Danault and others behind his own net on the breakout

Old
12-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Defensive Forward

Quote:
I agree, his skating did not look bad at all. He impressed me more than any other player on either team.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:11 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

His skating only looked bad when he was doing tight turns or slowing down and turning. Other than that he was great.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:13 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by x94Galchenyuk94x View Post
His skating only looked bad when he was doing tight turns or slowing down and turning. Other than that he was great.
I think he still needs to work on straight line foot speed, but I think he's ok with agility. Needs improvement, true, but not as bad as other dub posters say it is, IMO.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:21 PM
wings5

Quote:
Was just going to say this, I've seen much worse skaters who are top prospects and he is still very early in his development.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

I thought he was fantastic.

His vision and passing are quite some thing. It's probably not a bold prediction but I could see him going top 5 in next years draft.

Closed Thread