HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Ownership Cluster**** Thread: NHL and GJ, Put Up or Shut Up!

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 11:44 PM
awfulwaffle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
So what's next, the Board of Governors approving the team sale to GJ?
That's what I feel like is the last hurdle.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
So what's next, the Board of Governors approving the team sale to GJ?
Pretty sure he's got preliminary approval. The BoG should not be an issue. It is a question of whether or not Jamison has the money lined up to close. I can't believe he doesn't. This is not his first rodeo. Here are the worries; legal challenges that delay the process and Don Fehr completely destroying the league beyond all repair.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
With my own teams future being in doubt I've been living in fear for quite some time so I can relate.. Tonight is AWESOME news I am so freaking pumped for you guys.
If it's one thing I've learned from this sports fan nightmare is that I will NEVER, I repeat, NEVER route for any fan base to lose their team!

Old
11-27-2012, 11:47 PM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
I feel like that is a fait accompli. Either way we (and Scruggs apparently) now know that it will be over by the end of January one way or the other. It is all on Jamison now to lock down the investors and sew it up. Loved the exchange between him and Scruggs tonight.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:47 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
The NHL, the BoG, the owners, and Gary Bettman are all pretty much the same thing.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

Quote:
End the ****in lockout, i live 10 minutes from the arena, let's go coyotes!!!!!!!!!!!
Today, I'd drive 10 hours to see a Coyotes game!

Old
11-27-2012, 11:49 PM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Pretty sure he's got preliminary approval. The BoG should not be an issue. It is a question of whether or not Jamison has the money lined up to close. I can't believe he doesn't. This is not his first rodeo. Here are the worries; legal challenges that delay the process and Don Fehr completely destroying the league beyond all repair.
This all sounds bang on to me. I loved him and Scruggs' exchange.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:50 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgregg View Post
Apparently, there are no GWI folks at the meeting. I truly feel that they are out of the game. It looks like the last hurdle is Jamison locking up the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
That is my impression, three times the sigs too!
I'm doubtful GWI would want to hoist their petard in this battle. They won a big case in getting the AZ Constitution Gift Clause some teeth after it had been largely ignored by courts for decades. That AZ Supreme Court decision left a lot of maneuvering room for local governments to craft deals that wouldn't run afoul of the court's ruling. GWI is probably better off wielding a more ambiguous Gift Clause threat then risk an unfavorable ruling that clarifies the limits of the Gift Clause. Not to mention that to get an injunction barring the deal that GWI would most likely be required to secure a bond to cover damages should they lose the case.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:57 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Congrats guys.
Thank you for the support, I really appreciate it

Old
11-27-2012, 11:58 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
This all sounds bang on to me. I loved him and Scruggs' exchange.
Didn't get to watch. What was said?

Old
11-28-2012, 12:19 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
How Alvarez ever won an election I will never know, she must have been running against a corpse and rt's monkey. She always seems confused and underprepared. She must be infuriating to work with.
Trust us..... the monkey would beat her in a landslide...

Old
11-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Once again, the City of Glendale has approved. To the NHL and Greg Jamison: Now is the time to put up or shut up.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:36 AM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Didn't get to watch. What was said?
Editorializing and paraphrasing for brevity, Scruggs was talking to him like he was a recalcitrant child.

She was waving her phone at him and saying that Beasley had told her nearly a year ago that he had the money. Jamison calmly asked her if the messages she had received saying that had come from him, and since they didn't what was he to say about it. Also that he had the lease and money and was ready to sign in the summer and that it was Skeete who called him and asked for the renegotiation leading to tonight's vote.

She then badgered him about the identities of his investors and would he reveal any names tonight. He just stared at her and said no.

Later, it looked like she was going to drop a bomb by saying that he would have a mid January deadline to close the deal. He returned to the dias to remind Tindall/Skeete that there was already a built in deadline for the end of January. Scruggs scrambled to cover for the fact that she had not read the agreement.

In the end, she came across as small, foolish and vindictive and he came across as calm and in control of the situation.

Old
rt
Usually Incorrect

I can't wait for some head scratching joint statement from Greg and Gary saying that they feel no rush to complete the sale before the new council is seated. They won't explain this bizarre stance and we will all be completely baffled. Then, absolutely no news for 45 days. Haha.

Old
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Trust us..... the monkey would beat her in a landslide...
Nice one!

Old
11-28-2012, 12:39 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Jones has already stated he will attempt to refer it to the ballot. He won't be successful, but he will delay things thirty days. Still, the NHL has until the fifteenth to close with Jamison, so I guess that won't be a problem.

So, what is the hurdle now? GWI and the Gift Clause?
State Law prohibits this ordiance from going into effect a minimum of 30 days unless passed as an emergency measure. So the soonest he can close this thing is 30 days from now.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:53 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Not to throw a wet blanket over a celebratory occasion such as this..... but it ain't over yet folks.

Ken Jones will probably be in the city clerk's office tomorrow morning getting his referendum packet. Do not be surprised if he has a lot more company this time in getting signatures.

And yes GWI has been quiet..... but in reality they always have been for the most part and will not sit back if they think they can score some mileage out of it.

No..... until this lease agreement is signed, and the sale of the team to Greg Jamison has been announced by the league, I am going to remain cautiously optimistic.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:59 AM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Not to throw a wet blanket over a celebratory occasion such as this..... but it ain't over yet folks.

Ken Jones will probably be in the city clerk's office tomorrow morning getting his referendum packet. Do not be surprised if he has a lot more company this time in getting signatures.

And yes GWI has been quiet..... but in reality they always have been for the most part and will not sit back if they think they can score some mileage out of it.

No..... until this lease agreement is signed, and the sale of the team to Greg Jamison has been announced by the league, I am going to remain cautiously optimistic.
I think that is a very fair stance to take.

I was surprised tonight though by the lack of voices against the agreement, and the few that were there seemed completely loony. It will be interesting to see how the signature collecting goes this time around.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:55 AM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
I think that is a very fair stance to take.

I was surprised tonight though by the lack of voices against the agreement, and the few that were there seemed completely loony. It will be interesting to see how the signature collecting goes this time around.
Don't be surprised if we get to the point without any outside interference we see this "no, you 1st" bickering between the city and the league.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:13 AM
OOEEL

I was reading through the meeting notes that naurutger posted and two things stood out to me on page 35. How long have we been involved in this whole situation? And how connected is everything?

Quote:
Norma Alvarez, an Ocotillo resident, was called but did not speak.
Then resident Alvarez was able to actually make it to the meeting, but she couldn't as an elected official?

And also, I thought this was REALLY cool:

Quote:
Julie Larraza, a Scottsdale resident, stated her long time support of the Phoenix Coyotes. She
explained her three teenagers have followed the team since the beginning. She stated her oldest son is 17 and has grown into an elite hockey player who now plays for a national team based out
of Michigan
. She believes her son achieved his dream to play hockey because of the support the
Coyotes provided, as well as the local community. She added the Coyote players were great
models for our children. She indicated with a yes vote tonight, they can make many children’s
dreams come true.
Her son? Coyotes prospect and Scottsdale native Zac Larraza. Was 17 at the time of this meeting, now a sophomore at Denver University.

I know this isn't really relevant to the current discussion, but that caught my eye and I wanted to share.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:42 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post

And also, I thought this was REALLY cool:

Her son? Coyotes prospect and Scottsdale native Zac Larraza. Was 17 at the time of this meeting, now a sophomore at Denver University.

I know this isn't really relevant to the current discussion, but that caught my eye and I wanted to share.
It's very relevant in that unless Glendale screws it up, Bettman and GJ can continue to provide similar support of the dream of hockey in a non-traditional market as they have all along. Without them the dream would probably already be over.

Hopefully Glendale will put up and not screw it up....and then the local media will sell it not continue to ignore it.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:33 AM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
It's very relevant in that unless Glendale screws it up, Bettman and GJ can continue to provide similar support of the dream of hockey in a non-traditional market as they have all along. Without them the dream would probably already be over.

Hopefully Glendale will put up and not screw it up....and then the local media will sell it not continue to ignore it.
Glendale has put up many times, now it is once again time for a perspective owner to put his money where his mouth is and the NHL to put on the vote to approve the sale to him. Unless, Greg Jamsion doesn't have the funds(just like how Ice Edge and Matt Hultizer didn't) then both him and the league need to shut up then.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 11-28-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old
11-28-2012, 05:02 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

I've heard a few numbers thrown around so far, but does anyone know exactly how many signatures the referendum would need this time?

Old
11-28-2012, 05:22 AM
OOEEL

So to be a little more on subject.

Am I the only one who isn't celebrating at all after today?

We still have the specter of a referendum, and a somewhat tight window to deal with afterwards even if the signature gathering attempts fail.

Say Jones and whoever else he recruits this time around learns from their initial mistakes and actually files their forms correctly this time around, and due to better petitioning and more comfortable weather, they do get the 3,000+ signatures that'll be required.

I seem to remember reading about an emergency vote that would be held in Glendale for items that didn't make July's cutoff. If they collect their signatures how long will we have to wait for them to hold the election for the Arena Lease Agreement proposition? Cause Jamison couldn't continue on with buying the team if the Lease Agreement is held up awaiting a public vote, right?

That would definitely push us past January 31st and we'd have to what then? Have the new anti-Coyote council have a re-vote?

Is there any leg work Greg can do between now and December 27th to save him some time if the agreement goes into place? I'm not going into any of this "having to find investors" nonsense because if you think they're dragging all this out this far when all the inner-most parties know Greg doesn't have any money you're a buffoon, but I'm just worried there would be some red tape with the league between December 27th and January 31st and we're SOL after all this time/work/effort/emotion...

Old
11-28-2012, 05:40 AM
ParisSaintGermain

Delighted with last night vote. Another step closer. Thanks for all the updates

Closed Thread