HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVI: Get Your Kicks On Thread LXVI

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 02:01 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Damn - 30 pages in a day.

<insert witty intro here>

Wait...... THAT'S IT???????

Old
11-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Wait...... THAT'S IT???????
Pretty quick run on the last thread there TL. 30 pages in about
3.5hrs, nearly 800 posts. End result? New Deadline. January 30th.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:24 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
I think you are intelligent enough to know the answer to that. If not, then you really haven't been paying attention for the last several years.
He has been paying attention...... we all have.

Not one poster here has ever proved Jamison does not have the funds lined up to purchase the franchise. Not one.......

Been lots and lots of conjecture... innuendo..... one liners and such. Even a couple of analyses and numbers thrown in for the fun of it but that's it.

So sure... it's easy to take the line that he doesn't have the funds because that's what you want to believe. Personally I don't know if he does or not. And at this point I remain cautiously optimistic about this saga coming to an end with the franchise remaining where it is.

You were correct in saying there are still hurdles to get over. I expect Ken Jones to be at the city clerk's office in the morning to begin the referendum process. Whether or not he has help this time around is yet to be known. But it wouldn't be a surprise to me if the Tea Party Patriots managed to drag themselves out from their headquarters at Denny's and lend a hand. GWI?? Doubt it.... ol' Ken's still fuming from their lack of help last time around. But ya never know.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:27 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Pretty quick run on the last thread there TL. 30 pages in about
3.5hrs, nearly 800 posts. End result? New Deadline. January 30th.
I know K..... I waded through them myself just now and I need a shower.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:08 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Good news for the growth of NHL hockey...hopefully Glendale will follow the consistent leadership of Bettman/GJ and continues to put up and not screw it up.

Maybe then Bettman can help Edmonton with their efforts to secure an arena deal if the city will support it.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:38 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Good to hear, Yotes fans. This was a big step, and I was pulling for you guys. I hate seeing fans lose their teams, regardless of fanbase size or demographics or whatever.

Assuming this all actually happens as advertized, that Jamieson does indeed keep the team in Phoenix, the next step is clear: you'd better support the team. This is all for nothing if nobody shows up. It will literally be years and years wasted.

Someone took the keys to your car and threatened to drive away for years, Coyotes fans. Now that you've (in theory) got those keys back... now's the time to show us how well you can drive.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:54 AM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
Good news for the growth of NHL hockey...hopefully Glendale will follow the consistent leadership of Bettman/GJ and continues to put up and not screw it up.

Maybe then Bettman can help Edmonton with their efforts to secure an arena deal if the city will support it.
Glendale has put up many times, now it is once again time for a perspective owner to put his money where his mouth is and the NHL to put on the vote to approve the sale to him. Unless, Greg Jamsion doesn't have the funds(just like how Ice Edge and Matt Hultizer didn't) then both him and the league need to shut up then.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:40 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Glendale has put up many times, now it is once again time for a perspective owner to put his money where his mouth is and the NHL to put on the vote to approve the sale to him. Unless, Greg Jamsion doesn't have the funds(just like how Ice Edge and Matt Hultizer didn't) then both him and the league need to shut up then.
He should be able to get the funds now if he didn't have them already. Afterall the city could probably lend him the 170 million to buy the team if he uses his 320 million dollar management contract as collateral.....

Old
11-28-2012, 04:52 AM
bacon25

How many times has this team been "approved to stay" in Glendale over the past 4 years? This vote means nothing till I see Jamison at a Yotes game, which may be difficult cause there's no hockey right now and by the looks of it there may not be hockey for a while.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:31 AM
Whileee

Quote:

Not one poster here has ever proved Jamison does not have the funds lined up to purchase the franchise. Not one.......

Been lots and lots of conjecture... innuendo..... one liners and such. Even a couple of analyses and numbers thrown in for the fun of it but that's it.

So sure... it's easy to take the line that he doesn't have the funds because that's what you want to believe. Personally I don't know if he does or not. And at this point I remain cautiously optimistic about this saga coming to an end with the franchise remaining where it is.

You were correct in saying there are still hurdles to get over. I expect Ken Jones to be at the city clerk's office in the morning to begin the referendum process. Whether or not he has help this time around is yet to be known. But it wouldn't be a surprise to me if the Tea Party Patriots managed to drag themselves out from their headquarters at Denny's and lend a hand. GWI?? Doubt it.... ol' Ken's still fuming from their lack of help last time around. But ya never know.
Looks like I missed a bunch of the fun here.

TL, I can't say whether or not Jamison has the funds now, but I think that he has given folks plenty of reason for skepticism. He could have closed a deal with the COG a year ago, but couldn't find the money. Then he had a lease approved in June, and never closed the deal. Perhaps he was awaiting the results of the petition, etc., but he certainly didn't seem ready to slam the door on the deal.

I expect that he has the investors now, but there is just something about the guy that doesn't exude confidence on this.

For Coyotes fans, let me (once again) offer my good wishes. The COG has gone to the wall for you. Let's hope that Jamison and the NHL reward them with a stable franchise.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:30 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

I agree the referendum is doubtful unless Jones gets help from the tax initiative people. The number of signatures is considerably higher due to the presidential election.

Will be interesting to see if GWI actually does anything.

CF: Even if the GWI did win a case on the gift clause, how would the agreement be affected?

Old
11-28-2012, 06:35 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:

Not one poster here has ever proved Jamison does not have the funds lined up to purchase the franchise. Not one........
Jamison does not have the funds to purchase the team... By himself. That's a fact. Otherwise, when asked by council who his investing partners are, Jamison would have just said "there are no other investors but me" instead of just not saying who they are.

So as the head of a consortium , yeah he probably has just enough to pay what the NHL is asking for. But the majority stakeholder.... I doubt it.

The biggest mystery or worry the CoG should have is they just agreed to hand over $308M to an unknown entity. Why won't Jamison say who it is? Because if the CoG knew, even the diehards would have said no. So the question is... Who is someone the CoG would have refused to give the money to if they knew who they were?

Old
11-28-2012, 06:47 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Jamison will receive $15 MM per year for the next 20 years, correct?

Wasn't Moyes asking for $14 MM per year?
$14M a year was outrageous! $15M is a much better number.

Would you have ever thought that we would have seen all these twists and turns when this whole mess started? Wow...And it is still not over!

The timing on this could not be more surreal. All of this is happening while the League is in a lockout that has the potential to lead to anti-trust action. Even with this most glorious gift, if I am a potential investor I'm feeling pretty nervous about this right now.

Last edited by Fourier: 11-28-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old
11-28-2012, 07:05 AM
DWD

As I recall Moyes was only asking for 8 million.
When he found out that Eddie was going to give JR 15 million without COG approval he got angry.

I for one do not blame Moyes at all for what he did.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Slashers98
HFB Partner

That whole city council is a mess and they just voted a massive $308MM subsidy to Jamison who doesn't even bother to name his investors after 17 months... He still needs 30 to 60 days to "close" the deal.

Glendale really deserves to go bankrupt!

Old
11-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Jamison does not have the funds to purchase the team... By himself. That's a fact. Otherwise, when asked by council who his investing partners are, Jamison would have just said "there are no other investors but me" instead of just not saying who they are.

So as the head of a consortium , yeah he probably has just enough to pay what the NHL is asking for. But the majority stakeholder.... I doubt it.

The biggest mystery or worry the CoG should have is they just agreed to hand over $308M to an unknown entity. Why won't Jamison say who it is? Because if the CoG knew, even the diehards would have said no. So the question is... Who is someone the CoG would have refused to give the money to if they knew who they were?
What was that other group that was fighting with the COG over this saga, something Nation i think...

what was it?

In all seriousness, i really doubt this is the end,

Old
11-28-2012, 07:25 AM
Fidel Astro

This whole thing is insane.

So, do I have this right? Based on this decision, the Coyotes stay in Glendale if:

-Jamison actually hands over the cash
-Nobody gets pulled into court by GWI or someone else (assuming there's something sketchy about the deal)
-The deal goes through before the new council takes over in, what, a month and a bit?

That's a lot of ifs. Not to mention the lockout happening smack-dab in the middle of all of this.

There was a time when pro-Coyotes news resulted in a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, but when I read about the council's decision this morning (I didn't even bother watching this one live), I didn't really care. Just another silly chapter in the neverending Coyotes saga. The whole thing is kind of sad, really.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:30 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Congrats on the "Route 66" Thread. Never thought we'd be here.
(Just a reminder, I named the "PHX: The Thread of '69" a while back...just really excited for that one but can't remember who wrote the better Bryan Adams song lyrics).

Thought:

There was never going to be a deal for GJ to buy the Coyotes from the NHL. It was all smoke & mirrors.

Now they will appear to meet, but not be able to come up with a reasonable arrangement, especially with the threat of lawsuits and a referendum. Then the NHL can publicly say they tried, and open the door to relocation. GJ then has a favour from Bettman in his pocket for another franchise or other opportunity.

plausible?

Old
11-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Tinalera

Can't say the result surprised me on this one.

Looks like more months of possible referendums, legal wrangling and maybe GWI.

Think I'll take this opportunity to take a break from the this thread for a few months, maybe go actually take a walk, get some air, maybe read a book

Old
11-28-2012, 07:33 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

They do deserve their own fate.
Its truly unbelievable how inept Glendale is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
That whole city council is a mess and they just voted a massive $308MM subsidy to Jamison who doesn't even bother to name his investors after 17 months... He still needs 30 to 60 days to "close" the deal.

Glendale really deserves to go bankrupt!

Old
11-28-2012, 07:33 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I do remember quite a bit of "still looking to secure investors" comedy from JIG some time ago. It even made this Coyotes fan face palm and chuckle a few times out of frustration and the absurdity of it.

However, Jamison has been saying for some time now that he's all set.

Why do 9/10 posters in this megathread seem so certain that he's actually broke?

What are you guys basing this on? Every third post in these threads is an absolute statement about Greg Jamison not having any money. Where does this come from?
My own opinion.

The current lockout cannot be used as an excuse for needing extra time to close the deal. Jamison has had since MAY 2012 to do so.

We all, including you and me, know that Jamison could have closed the chapter 1, that is purchase the Coyotes from the league with a condition : Glendale coughts up money, I buy, Glendale doesn't, I pass. But yet, he didn't.

Honestly speaking, how can anyone expect an investor (Glendale) to give you $300M over 20 years while you're acting like an ass and telling them they CANNOT know who your partners are.

So where are we now. Possible legal challenge ? Shruggs deadline not met by Jamison (btw he will simply say, I don't give a...for your deadline, your monies are mine and I can do what I want with the Yotes now).

I just can't wait to see the Tribe show up and be the major investor in this wonderful adventure. Effectively next few years should be fun to go about.

I guess now all that is left is to see how many school parties will Jamison bring to Jobbing before all hell breaks lose.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:37 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Jamison will receive $15 MM per year for the next 20 years, correct?

Wasn't Moyes asking for $14 MM per year?
What a colossal waste of the last 4 years.

4 years ago Moyes (who is losing buckets of money as all previous and future owners of this franchise will) goes to the CoG with hat in hand to ask the CoG for help in making ends meet and asks for IIRC ~$8-10M /yr. He is told by the CoG to go away and that they will never give a handout to the owner of the Coyotes. We all know what came next..... So 4 years later, the same CoG now votes to give an unknown entity ~$15M/yr.

If the CoG had just given Moyes what he wanted 4 years ago, there is a very good chance nothing that has gone on over the last 4 years would have ever happened.

But then again, the entertainment value has been priceless.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:52 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
What a colossal waste of the last 4 years.

4 years ago Moyes (who is losing buckets of money as all previous and future owners of this franchise will) goes to the CoG with hat in hand to ask the CoG for help in making ends meet and asks for IIRC ~$8-10M /yr. He is told by the CoG to go away and that they will never give a handout to the owner of the Coyotes. We all know what came next..... So 4 years later, the same CoG now votes to give an unknown entity ~$15M/yr.

If the CoG had just given Moyes what he wanted 4 years ago, there is a very good chance nothing that has gone on over the last 4 years would have ever happened.

But then again, the entertainment value has been priceless.
There is the possibility that Moyes could have asked for another $5 - $7 mm per year...

Old
11-28-2012, 08:12 AM
mikelvl

vCash: 487
Meh, Jamison et. al. is just keeping this franchise on life support for a couple of more years until Seattle has their arena built.

NHL wants QC and Toronto 2 as expansion teams.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:20 AM
JMT21

Is the lease official and binding as of right now or when GJ actually buys the team?

Closed Thread