HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 09:12 PM
sbrug

vCash: 500
Some thoughts from a London Knights fan...

I have seen a lot of comments from Kitchener fans on twitter writing negative things about their team, some of it warranted. Personally, I thought Kitchener was better this time around against London than last week, but the scores and shots don't show that. If Spott can muster up the draft picks and maybe a young player or two (Bailey, Schmalz, Pedersen, Gilbert) for a couple top 6 forwards, they should be alright. I have watched enough Kitchener games over the last 2 years to notice that Catenacci was a huge part of that team with his speed and playmaking. If Kitchener could add a guy like Trocheck out of Saginaw, that would go a long way. With all due respect, having guys like Ming and Marcantuoni (Athanasiou clone) in your top 6 is probably not going to take you to the Memorial Cup. If they're on the third line then that's alright but I think Kitchener just needs some better depth.

Last edited by sbrug: 11-27-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: grammar
Old
11-27-2012, 09:20 PM
hockeylegend11

according to Josh Brown for the Record,Matt Puempel day to day with a shoulder stinger

Old
11-27-2012, 10:12 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
well.. at least Kitchener played them better than Owen Sound did. Better them be super hot now, than in the spring I guess...
Who..the Knights..or the Spits???

Old
11-27-2012, 10:32 PM
CharlieGirl

Tonight, one team wanted the win; the other team spent a lot of time watching them do it.

How in the blue hell do you have a 4 on 1 and not get a shot on net??!!???

Hopefully Puempel is going to be fine sooner rather than later - he's desperately needed out there. At least Bailey got moved up and not Alberga (I like the kid, but he has no business on the top line).

Damn, I hate seeing the friggen' Knights win. Especially in our building.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:50 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Tonight, one team wanted the win; the other team spent a lot of time watching them do it.

How in the blue hell do you have a 4 on 1 and not get a shot on net??!!???

Hopefully Puempel is going to be fine sooner rather than later - he's desperately needed out there. At least Bailey got moved up and not Alberga (I like the kid, but he has no business on the top line).

Damn, I hate seeing the friggen' Knights win. Especially in our building.
Yep. The last two Knights/Rangers games I've watched on TV, the Rangers have lost. Which makes this new fan...a sad one.

So just another question about the game on Friday.

As I said before...my fiancee and I will be sitting in the blue seats. But where the hell is Section 37?

Is the Aud's seating chart online not updated yet???

Old
11-28-2012, 05:57 AM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Who..the Knights..or the Spits???
Knights... whats that now? 12 games in a row?

Old
11-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
As I said before...my fiancee and I will be sitting in the blue seats. But where the hell is Section 37?

Is the Aud's seating chart online not updated yet???
Section 37 is directly above Sections 17 and 19. Therefore you'll be in the Rangers attacking end for 2 periods.

Here's the new seating plan for the Neil Young concert last week. Not sure why the general seating plan is updated.
http://www.theaud.ca/seating_neil_young.htm

Old
11-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
Knights... whats that now? 12 games in a row?
Correct. As you said before, lucky....but good too

Old
11-28-2012, 09:01 AM
KnightRanger

It was a good game last night. I thought both teams played ok, but again the win comes down to depth in the scoring the department. Both Kitchener's and London's Top Guns were held off the score sheet, but London's secondary scoring beat the Rangers secondary scoring 3-1. The Rangers outshot the Knights, but if you count quality scoring opportunities, the Knights generated more! Gibson made 3 rediculous saves in the game at his end. Baillie was there when called upon, but did not have to make any real tough saves in the game. It could have very easily been 6-1!

I think a move needs to made sooner rather than later in Rangerland to give them time to decide if this is the year they want to go for it! With 4 teams ahead of them in the West alone this year, the smart move may be to sell and re-stock the draft cupboard and pick up a few quality young players at the same time.

I say make a move now......assess where you are at.....then make a decision.....ALL IN or ALL OUT! But that first move needs to be made now.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:02 AM
BenchedGuy

Here is my thoughts of the game (team also) last night. While the Rangers came out of the gates strong and with jump, they didnt end that way. In the post game Alberga, Troy Smith and even Mike Farwell implied that the compete level was there. To me it was in the first two periods but was not in the third and definitely not in the last 5 minutes.

To me, when you are down 3-1 there should be a degree of desparation in the last few minutes of the game to put a push on and tie it up. It wasn't there last night, and to a degree it was quite the opposite. The Rangers looked like they had given up. Not the desire a fan wants to see when your team is suppose to be competitive this year. I understand it only one game and it was close but this is a team that you want to play hard against drop of puck till buzzer. It was apparent for the first goal and the end of the third that they became complacent.

Another thing I noticed was Tierney's 2 goals. While they were quality goals, I dont know if they happen if we had that shutdown D we all know we need. If someone would have tied him up in front, those goals may not have happened. I think someone mentioned Sefton before?

Good bounce back game against London for Gibson. A little disappointed he didn't come out for his star of the game, especially when London came out for theirs. Unless something was wrong with Gibby.

Something else that is needed is more of a physical presence. While London had pretty looking tape to tape passing, it may have been less had the intensity been there with the body checking. Keeping their heads up so to speak and not have time for the great passes they were making in our end. If its not on our roster, bring it in (Schoenmakers??)

Old
11-28-2012, 11:30 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Section 37 is directly above Sections 17 and 19. Therefore you'll be in the Rangers attacking end for 2 periods.

Here's the new seating plan for the Neil Young concert last week. Not sure why the general seating plan is updated.
http://www.theaud.ca/seating_neil_young.htm
Thanks.

But yeah we will be in row FF in Section 37.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we will have a pretty bad/far away view then right???? My eyesight is pretty crappy so I'm worried that I'll be too far away to really see the action.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:24 PM
KnightRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post

Another thing I noticed was Tierney's 2 goals. While they were quality goals, I dont know if they happen if we had that shutdown D we all know we need. If someone would have tied him up in front, those goals may not have happened. I think someone mentioned Sefton before?

Something else that is needed is more of a physical presence. While London had pretty looking tape to tape passing, it may have been less had the intensity been there with the body checking. Keeping their heads up so to speak and not have time for the great passes they were making in our end. If its not on our roster, bring it in (Schoenmakers??)
Statistics for the most part don't lie. I agree their are pieces of the puzzle that could be addressed, but first and foremost is scoring! The Rangers have given up the 2nd least amount of goals in the entire CHL. But, are also very close to the bottom in the entire CHL in scoring!!! Defense and goaltending are not the problem. If the Rangers had 30 or so more goals this season much like the top teams in the Ohl, they would be at or near the top of the standings. They desparately need a 2nd line that can put the puck in the net and take some of the pressure of their big 3 to win hockey games. The longer they wait to make a move the lower they will finish in the standings and the tougher the 1st round opponent!

Plymouth came 2 points from winning the West last year and would not have had to face Kitchener in the 2nd round had they beat London for first overall. I'm not suggesting London would not have won last year anyhow, but it could have been a lot tougher on them had they had to go through Kitchener in Round 2, then Plymouth in Round 3!!! Who knows!

Old
11-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRanger View Post
Statistics for the most part don't lie. I agree their are pieces of the puzzle that could be addressed, but first and foremost is scoring! The Rangers have given up the 2nd least amount of goals in the entire CHL. But, are also very close to the bottom in the entire CHL in scoring!!! Defense and goaltending are not the problem.
Amen. This is totally accurate. I think I could "fix" the problem. Funny how they turned the forwards over to Fixter this year and now were pitiful in that regard. You can keep throwing resources at the problem or you can address the root.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
To me, when you are down 3-1 there should be a degree of desparation in the last few minutes of the game to put a push on and tie it up. It wasn't there last night, and to a degree it was quite the opposite. The Rangers looked like they had given up. Not the desire a fan wants to see when your team is suppose to be competitive this year. I understand it only one game and it was close but this is a team that you want to play hard against drop of puck till buzzer. It was apparent for the first goal and the end of the third that they became complacent.
Agreed 2000% (and that's a lot of percents
The biggest thing I notice that changed when Spott took over from DeBoer was the emotion level dropped ten-fold. There is no desperation. There are two-gears to this team. DeBoer always had them in 4th gear at a minimum and had a 5th gear easily when the game situation required it.

Under Spott, you can never tell the score of the game by the play on the ice. Whether they're up two early or down one late, it's the same tempo and the same plan of attack.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:43 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRanger View Post
Statistics for the most part don't lie. I agree their are pieces of the puzzle that could be addressed, but first and foremost is scoring! The Rangers have given up the 2nd least amount of goals in the entire CHL. But, are also very close to the bottom in the entire CHL in scoring!!! Defense and goaltending are not the problem. If the Rangers had 30 or so more goals this season much like the top teams in the Ohl, they would be at or near the top of the standings. They desparately need a 2nd line that can put the puck in the net and take some of the pressure of their big 3 to win hockey games. The longer they wait to make a move the lower they will finish in the standings and the tougher the 1st round opponent!

Plymouth came 2 points from winning the West last year and would not have had to face Kitchener in the 2nd round had they beat London for first overall. I'm not suggesting London would not have won last year anyhow, but it could have been a lot tougher on them had they had to go through Kitchener in Round 2, then Plymouth in Round 3!!! Who knows!
We all know that secondary scoring is the first concern. My opinion was what else was needed to compete with London especially after last nights game.

And for one of your points....stats do lie. Gibson and Frankie are making our defense look better than they really are. Dont get me wrong I like our D and their development so far but how many times does our D (Murphy, Iafrate....) take chances on the rush, turn it over and the goaltenders bail them out. It happens more than once. Also our D does a poor job at clearing out the crease. These things need to improve and you can not keep relying on the goaltenders all the time.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Tim Wallach

Puempel now diagnosed with a grade one shoulder separation. Poor guy. There goes his Team Canada dream. And for Kitchener, there goes any hope of scoring a goal until he's back.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:19 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Puempel now diagnosed with a grade one shoulder separation. Poor guy. There goes his Team Canada dream. And for Kitchener, there goes any hope of scoring a goal until he's back.
Well, that sucks. Now it's time for someone else (hopefully more than one) to step up and take up the slack. There's no good reason a team with this much talent can't score.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:30 AM
aresknights

Ouch. Hopefully he gets back asap for Ranger fans sake.

Maybe this will create a sense of urgency with the staff and players and they get a few others going. If not the need to make a deal grows as you dont want to fall to far down the standings.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:51 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Well, there goes our primary scoring now. Hope Spott addresses scoring sooner than later now with this bit of news. It makes it even more apparent. Even to get some secondary scorer and then the rest of the boys will have to step it up.

Too bad for Puempel, he was really having a great season.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Tim Wallach

The only positive is that this separation/sprain is very mild by all accounts and the recovery time needed is somewhat up in the air.

Some grade 1's can linger for weeks, but with some, you rest a few days and give it a go. Time will tell, but in a best case scenario, he might be back in just over a week. But we may have to hold onto our teddy bears until then.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:12 PM
ORYX

I think some are being a little premature on saying the Puempel is out for a long time.

Its a grade 1, which is the best sprain he could have.

The typical recover for a grade 1 is 1-2 weeks until COMPLETLY healed.

If all goes according to plan, he is still invited to HC camp (assuming he was to get an invite initially) and still able to compete for a spot.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:48 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Hope Puempel recovers ASAP.

Old
11-29-2012, 04:59 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Random question....

Do they sell autographed pucks at the Rangers Authentics store at the Aud???

Old
11-29-2012, 05:27 PM
RangerFan14

Zach Lorentz makes his return to the aud tomorrow! How do you think he will do against his old team?

Old
11-29-2012, 08:45 PM
KnightRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan14 View Post
Zach Lorentz makes his return to the aud tomorrow! How do you think he will do against his old team?
I hate to say it, but I say he buries the winner! Always liked him.
He was our best in the shootouts! I think Windsor is a much better fit for him then Peterborough!

Old
11-29-2012, 09:18 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Random question....

Do they sell autographed pucks at the Rangers Authentics store at the Aud???
I know they sell pucks, but I don't think I've seen autographed ones.

And just a reminder everyone - tomorrow night's game starts at 7:00, not 7:30. Yay Sportsnet... blech.

Closed Thread