HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Drouin & Monahan are LR's pick, what are yours?

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 06:54 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I think Barkov is too Russian for Burke, I'm sure he'd take Jones or Monahan over him, if he held the #2 overall.
He'll take the person they see fit as BPA. Just because he's the current fanboy favorite, doesn't mean the pros feel the same way.

TBH, I'd take him at 2. But I wouldn't cry and freak out, assuming I know better if he didn't. Of course I do get a chuckle out of comments like these....

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
If we are left to choose from Barkov and Monahan, and we take Monahan, I will disown this team.

lol. every year.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:09 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

Barkov would look amazing centering Kessel... That's the Sundin-Kessel we never got to see

Old
11-27-2012, 09:27 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
lol. every year.
This is the first time I've said this

Old
11-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by The K Man View Post
He also said that for the first time in his career he might have to draft a player based on position rather than BPA last draft. Since Galchenyuk was the only C drafted ahead of us, doesn't that lead you to believe he would have pick Galchenyuk if available?

Barkov is pretty similar to the Sedin's who he drafted 2 and 3, don't think he'd pass him him.
Could have also been talking about Subban? It's hard to take Burke's comments at face value as they were made in the days leading up to the draft, iirc?

I'm not saying that Burke won't ever take a Russian in the 1st round (eventually he may figure out his ways aren't working) but I think there would have to be a huge separation in prospects to the NA...say like the Ovechkin/Malkin draft...

Old
11-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Out of curiousity, if the 2012 draft went exactly the same but the Leafs were picjing 6th overall who do you all think Burke would of selected?

With Yak, Murray,Gally,Reinhart and Rielly off the board .

Dumba/Trouba (both physical rh d to replace Schenn)

Grigorenko would have been the right choice imho, even at 5...no offense to Rielly whom I love.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeCheeseAllDay View Post
Barkov would look amazing centering Kessel... That's the Sundin-Kessel we never got to see

Drafting a high-end center like Barkov could be the incentive Kessel needs to stay here long term, imho.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Interactif

Burke thinking about drafting for position doesn't necessarily mean he was interested in Gally.

It could easily also mean, if Rielly was gone at #5, he may have dealt the pick and moved back to draft multiple players fwds that he liked, we already know he liked Wilson, probably Forsberg, and Faksa also.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Dumba/Trouba (both physical rh d to replace Schenn)

Grigorenko would have been the right choice imho, even at 5...no offense to Rielly whom I love.
Burke probably knew Anaheim were going off the board with Hampus Lundholm. If NY Isles had taken Rielly, I wonder what may have happened? Draft Dumba or perhaps Tampa would have moved up to take a run at Reinhart or more likely Dumba. Lots of scenarios. I am not sure Leafs would have drafted at #5 had Rielly been taken by the Isles or the Habs for that matter.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:28 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Burke probably knew Anaheim were going off the board with Hampus Lundholm. If NY Isles had taken Rielly, I wonder what may have happened? Draft Dumba or perhaps Tampa would have moved up to take a run at Reinhart or more likely Dumba. Lots of scenarios. I am not sure Leafs would have drafted at #5 had Rielly been taken by the Isles or the Habs for that matter.
Grigorenko and Wilson.
or
Forsberg and Wilson.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
11-27-2012, 11:06 PM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Grigorenko and Wilson.
or
Forsberg and Wilson.
Would of loved to have been able to land Wilson with a later first.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:17 AM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

2013 Draft Rankings: Leafs Faithful Should Be Intrigued

Not only do Leafs fans have some intriguing young Blue and White hopefuls to follow but they also have reason to be excited about the 2013 NHL Draft, scheduled to be held in New Jersey regardless of whether hockey has been played or not. If you’ll recall, the Pittsburgh Penguins were lucky enough to be granted 3 lottery balls (the maximum) in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft Lottery, a unique lottery that saw teams granted 1-3 balls dependent on a select few criteria. As will be remembered for many years, they selected one Sidney Crosby.
If the draft is to be run in the same fashion (a certain possibility) in the event of a full year lockout, than the Leafs will be one of those lucky “3 ball teams”. Here’s how the criteria breaks down:
• Each team is granted 3 balls
• A ball is removed for each playoff appearance in the last 3 years
• A ball is removed for each first overall selection in the last 4 years
• Each team must have at least one ball
Under these criteria a total of 50 balls would be entered into this year’s lottery with 7 teams being granted 3 balls and a respective 6% chance at first overall. Here’s how the ball distribution would break down:

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/...d-be-intrigued

Old
11-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Quik
Agent 0091

Of the teams who had 3 balls in the last lottery, I believe only 1 picked in the top 5 (maybe top 7?), and I know at least 2 were outside the top 10. Any way people look at it, losing a full season sucks for Toronto unless they found a way back to mediocrity and finished 9th in the conference again.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:19 AM
smitty10

Thanks for the write up.

I really hope we get Seth Jones. Him and Rielly would be a great pairing for years to come. I wouldn't be upset with Drouin, Mackinnon, Nurse or Monahan either though.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:55 AM
Aplayaz2000

i think it'll be different

Old
11-28-2012, 05:47 AM
HOCKEYGOON

I would love to see us get Barkov, he's already dominating a men's league in Finland.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:52 AM
Fogelhund

Quote:
I'm not saying that Burke won't ever take a Russian in the 1st round (eventually he may figure out his ways aren't working) but I think there would have to be a huge separation in prospects to the NA...say like the Ovechkin/Malkin draft...

You do realize that Barkov is as Russian as Galchenyuk and Mackinnon right?

Old
11-28-2012, 06:27 AM
4evaBlue

For a change, I agree with charliolemieux completely, including not bothering to increase the hit counts of random self promoted websites/blogs.

As for the topic on hand, I find it very hard to be intrigued about the next draft when a potential lockout lottery can be so easily fixed, and the Leafs could very easily end up picking at 20+ overall. Even if we assume a completely legit lottery, and the absolute best case scenario where the Leafs have 3 balls and everyone else only has one:
  • every other team has a 15% chance to pick in the top 5
  • the Leafs "only" have a 38% chance to do the same
  • the Leafs have a 39% chance to pick outside of the top 10
  • the Leafs have a 15% chance to pick outside the top 20
Start with more balls, and allow teams to have 0 balls in the container depending on their successes, and their previous top X picks, and I may start getting intrigued.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

I think the NHL should just feel bad for us and award the first overall pick based on the past 45 years.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
You do realize that Barkov is as Russian as Galchenyuk and Mackinnon right?

I think that Barkov may be too Russian for Burke's tastes, and I felt the same way about Galchenyuk this summer too.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
It's a good thing Barkov is Finnish than...

And Burke has never drafted a Russian as a Leaf isn't proof of him having a bias against them.

Under Burke's positions in hockey.

From 1987-1992 he was the Vancouver Cankucks Director of Hockey Ops (which deals with drafting). Canucks drafted Bure, Evgeny Namestnikov.

In 1992-1993, Burke was the Hartford GM for both the 1992 and 1993 NHL drafts. He drafts Konstantin Korotkov, Andriee Nikolishin.

Burke is hired by the Canucks in 1998 and over his time with them drafts Pavel Duma, Fedor Federov, Evgeny Gladskikh, Konstantin Mikhailov, Kiril Koltsov, Denis Grot (now Belarussian but born in Minsk), Ilya Krikunov, Sergei Topol.

And if Burke really didn't like Russians, both Kulemin and Grabo would be gone instead of Grabo being resigned, and Kulemin also being resigned and not traded for Jeff Carter. Komarov wouldn't have been pursued as hard as he was.

It speaks more the trend of Russian players being playing in the NHL and being picked in the draft than something pointing to a bias against them by Burke.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-a-dying-breed

There was only 24 Russians actually playing in the NHL last year. Including Radulov. Is there a team with less than Toronto? Yep. A bunch of teams don't have one...

Only 13 Russians were actually drafted in the 2012 draft, out of 211 total prospects. 9 in 2011, 8 in 2010, 7 in 2009. So it's not just Burke not drafting these players. It's everyone. These are very small numbers. 6 percent of the 2012 draft crop was Russian. And you think it's relevant that Burke didn't draft any? It's not statistically significant.

This idea that Burke hates Russians needs to die. It's false. It's not based in logic nor in any discernible pattern in his career.

And Barkov isn't even Russian. He's Finnish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Volume View Post
Well, considering he's Finnish i don't think that's an issue. Yes he holds Russian citizenship but, from what I have read, his national team has always been Finland so he's Finnish.
A couple things FinnishK:

1) Holding Russian citizenship and having a name like Barkov will make you Russian in Burke's eyes. Where was he born again?

2) So when did Burke last draft a Russian? It appears approx 10 years ago. You don't consider that a discernable pattern?

Old
11-28-2012, 08:10 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:

1) Holding Russian citizenship and having a name like Barkov will make you Russian in Burke's eyes. Where was he born again?

2) So when did Burke last draft a Russian? It appears approx 10 years ago. You don't consider that a discernable pattern?
1. Are you Burke? I mean really what are you basing this belief on exactly? Maybe Burke is sharp enough to look past a birth certificates. Minor things like where he is actually playing. He may be too close to Russian for Burke, but I think it's a stretch to actually say that with any certainty.

2. Better question is when has Burke last drafted someone that'd be Russian "in Burke's eyes?" Since apparently we're not actually talking actually Russian, but considered to be Russian.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:15 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

If that's true Burke should be fired. Toronto is in Canada, and our society is not 1930's isolationist USofA. I don't believe Burke is that disgusting of a person, although who knows what his position would be on gays if it wasn't so personal, but he has shown some human decency.

The Leafs cannot afford to allow personal bigotry to impact the talent on the team. The team is a bad team, and allowing personal issues to negatively impact the team should be grounds for dismissal.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:19 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:

Since 2009 and Burke's first draft:

2009:

Selection:
Nazem Kadri

Russians selected in first round:
Kulikov

Chance of any team selecting a Russian in the first round:
3.3%

2010:

Selection:
None

Burmistrov
Tarasenko
Kuznetsov

10%

2011:

Selection:
None

Russians selected in the first round:
Namestnikov

Chances of any team selecting a Russian in the first round:
3.3%

2012:

Selection:
Morgan Rielly

Yakupov
Grigorenko
Girgenson
Vasilevski

13.3%

Russians tend to go sporadically throughout the draft, based on the KHL factor and other variables. The average over Burke's tenure of selecting a Russian by ANY team was 7.4%. Therefore, 92.6% of players were not of Russian heritage. So it appears the tendency is league wide and not just a Burke pattern. The Russians that go in the late rounds are often players that teams take a flyer on in hopes they may come to the NHL one day, it it not surprising that a GM does not want to gamble on these picks.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantACup View Post
Not only do Leafs fans have some intriguing young Blue and White hopefuls to follow but they also have reason to be excited about the 2013 NHL Draft, scheduled to be held in New Jersey regardless of whether hockey has been played or not. If you’ll recall, the Pittsburgh Penguins were lucky enough to be granted 3 lottery balls (the maximum) in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft Lottery, a unique lottery that saw teams granted 1-3 balls dependent on a select few criteria. As will be remembered for many years, they selected one Sidney Crosby.
If the draft is to be run in the same fashion (a certain possibility) in the event of a full year lockout, than the Leafs will be one of those lucky “3 ball teams”. Here’s how the criteria breaks down:
• Each team is granted 3 balls
• A ball is removed for each playoff appearance in the last 3 years
• A ball is removed for each first overall selection in the last 4 years
• Each team must have at least one ball
Under these criteria a total of 50 balls would be entered into this year’s lottery with 7 teams being granted 3 balls and a respective 6% chance at first overall. Here’s how the ball distribution would break down:

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/...d-be-intrigued

Technically, I believe Columbus gets LA's ball and the Rangers ball, which would give them a total of 5 balls.
That being said, I think they get MacKinnon. I personally think we should trade with Columbus if one of their 3 picks ends up in the middle of the first round for Max Domi. Kind of a no brainer.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
Since 2009 and Burke's first draft:

2009:

Selection:
Nazem Kadri

Kulikov

3.3%

2010:

Selection:
None

Burmistrov
Tarasenko
Kuznetsov

10%

2011:

Selection:
None

Namestnikov

3.3%

2012:

Selection:
Morgan Rielly

Yakupov
Grigorenko
Girgenson
Vasilevski

13.3%

Russians tend to go sporadically throughout the draft, based on the KHL factor and other variables. The average over Burke's tenure of selecting a Russian by ANY team was 7.4%. Therefore, 92.6% of players were not of Russian heritage. So it appears the tendency is league wide and not just a Burke pattern. The Russians that go in the late rounds are often players that teams take a flyer on in hopes they may come to the NHL one day, it it not surprising that a GM does not want to gamble on these picks.
Can you tell me the last time Burke drafted a Russian? Has he even drafted one since the previous lockout?

Closed Thread