HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 08:20 AM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Huberdeau has basically zero talent to work with on Saint John. He is both the best offensive and defensive option on the team, so he's having to focus far too much on keeping the puck out of his own net to worry about generating offense
This is true. He lost Jurco, Coyle, Beaulieu, Phillips and I think even Depres (or the year before that). He is in the same situation as Galchenyuk.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:21 AM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Hey guys, I wanted to get your take on Hudon's chance of making the team this year. Is he a lock? And if he makes the team, which role will he play?

Thanks in advance.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:25 AM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Does anybody think that JC Lipon and Colin Smith might get selection camp invites, judging on the years they are having with Kamloops? I know that Cabada will have a deep, stacked lineup, but I think those two should get some consideration.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:29 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Hey guys, I wanted to get your take on Hudon's chance of making the team this year. Is he a lock? And if he makes the team, which role will he play?

Thanks in advance.
Apparently he is a favorite of HC.
He plays a responsible hard working game, but just try to pencil him in on a line and you begin to see how difficult it is to slot him in the line up.
Could he be the 13th forward. His versatility would be asset. I would call him a bubble player. It just depends which way the coaching staff wants to go.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:04 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
I get the feeling the Oilers will let him choose if he wants to go, but I have this feeling he won't end up going.

If it want for injury, this kid was an NHL all-star as a rookie and he's playing on a winning team in OKC right now. Playing against junior players might not hurt his development but its not going to improve his game either.

The only plus would be winning a gold medal. I've listened to interviews with him and other players talking about it and I get the feeling he doesn't want to drop down 2 levels again.
Given that 2 of the 4 people he spends all his time with at the moment are Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall I am almost certain he has been given a favorable view of the WJC. He is also very competitive and will want to redeem getting cut in his draft year.

If the NHL lockout doesn't end soon RNH will be going to Ufa.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:12 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
If RNH plays in this tournament it's a joke. He played half a season in the NHL as a top center and finished 2nd in Calder voting IIRC. He is an NHL player and doesn't belong in a junior tournament.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
If RNH plays in this tournament it's a joke. He played half a season in the NHL as a top center and finished 2nd in Calder voting IIRC. He is an NHL player and doesn't belong in a junior tournament.
NHL players have played in this tournament before, as well as many, many European pros. Why discriminate against RNH?

Old
11-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I think he is probably pencilled in for the team right now, and if he plays well at camp, will make the team.

Hudon has been the kind of guy who seems to play even better with better players, and also flexible enough on his two-way game to play on an energy line with the likes of Jenner and Danault, for example. His versatility and strong play suggest he's got better chance than not of making the squad. Also wouldn't surprise me if they placed him on a third scoring line with MacKinnon and another scoring winger. Plus, he could also be the 13th forward too, as suggested. Basically, the team will want options in mixing up the lines and Hudon seems to be a good fit in terms of giving them lots of options.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:24 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
NHL players have played in this tournament before, as well as many, many European pros. Why discriminate against RNH?
RNH should be above it. NHL players that have played are guys that got a 9 game tryout and weren't ready for big show yet. RNH is a no. 1 center now. European pros are an entirely different story, because they're not playing in the best league in the world. If you are an established NHL player, it seems to me that you shouldn't be playing in an amateur tournament. I know that statement is a bit loaded, but it's just common sense.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:27 AM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
Apparently he is a favorite of HC.
He plays a responsible hard working game, but just try to pencil him in on a line and you begin to see how difficult it is to slot him in the line up.
Could he be the 13th forward. His versatility would be asset. I would call him a bubble player. It just depends which way the coaching staff wants to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
I think he is probably pencilled in for the team right now, and if he plays well at camp, will make the team.

Hudon has been the kind of guy who seems to play even better with better players, and also flexible enough on his two-way game to play on an energy line with the likes of Jenner and Danault, for example. His versatility and strong play suggest he's got better chance than not of making the squad. Also wouldn't surprise me if they placed him on a third scoring line with MacKinnon and another scoring winger. Plus, he could also be the 13th forward too, as suggested. Basically, the team will want options in mixing up the lines and Hudon seems to be a good fit in terms of giving them lots of options.
Thanks for the responses. I asked because for how well he played at the Can-Rus sereis and SSS for the Q, everyone raved about his play and thought he would make HC.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:32 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
RNH should be above it. NHL players that have played are guys that got a 9 game tryout and weren't ready for big show yet. RNH is a no. 1 center now. European pros are an entirely different story, because they're not playing in the best league in the world. If you are an established NHL player, it seems to me that you shouldn't be playing in an amateur tournament. I know that statement is a bit loaded, but it's just common sense.
See Team Canada during the last two lockouts. Lots of otherwise NHLers on those teams.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Macman

Quote:
Patrice Bergeron played at the world juniors during the 2005 lockout after playing a full season in the NHL and at the senior worlds. If you're going to let European pros play, you can't discriminate against North Americans.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:39 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
I think I detect someone being mad.

And who's saying that just because we get RNH, we're going to win gold. Yeah we want our best players to come play for Canada so we have our best shot at gold but even RNH doesn't guarantee us the final win. Look at our track record the last few years, yeah the team had holes that eventually lead to losses but they were still pretty good teams.

I really hope RNH comes and plays. Once in a lifetime.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:51 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Patrice Bergeron played at the world juniors during the 2005 lockout after playing a full season in the NHL and at the senior worlds. If you're going to let European pros play, you can't discriminate against North Americans.
Bergeron playing was a joke too. I understand why you can't discriminate, I just don't like it, for obvious reasons.

And I don't have rooting interest. If anything, what annoys me most is that he'd be taking a spot from a deserving junior player.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
The rules are pretty ****in simple, dude. And their pretty intuitive too.

If you're Under 20, you're eligible. Doesn't matter who you are.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:36 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Bergeron playing was a joke too. I understand why you can't discriminate, I just don't like it, for obvious reasons.

And I don't have rooting interest. If anything, what annoys me most is that he'd be taking a spot from a deserving junior player.
Thing is, to play in this tournament you need to be within the correct age category. Being in junior does not make one player more deserving of a roster spot. The league level you play in does not discount you from qualifying to play. It is the BEST PLAYERS within the age bracket.

Those are the current rules so until they change there is always going to be an opportunity for a kid with NHL experience should his NHL team make him available.

For what it's worth, I want Canada to win, but don't want RNH to play in this tournament. That said, if he does, it won't bother me at all.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:

I guess Yakupov shouldn't be playing either since he is playing in the KHL. He is taking a spot from other Russians.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:

It's not an amateur tournement. It's a tourney for the best junior players in the world. RNH is one of them, and if available, should be there.

As to "professional" many other NA junior players are also professionals that have signed pro deals with the team that drafted them. They just haven't made the team yet. Sometimes this has to do with the depth of the NHL club, which certainly should determine whether a guy is eligible or not.

Either it is regarded as a "World Championship" with the best juniors in the world, or it isn't. The absurdity of pro v amateur has so many conflicts and grey areas, even the Olympics abandoned the classification.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:40 AM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I guess Yakupov shouldn't be playing either since he is playing in the KHL. He is taking a spot from other Russians.
That's his point, so in case, Yakupov shouldn't be playing in the WJC either.

Not that agree with it because I don't.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Leviathan

@TSNBobMcKenzie:
MacKinnon will be invited. I don't think Fucale will because of age. If lockout is on and all players available, Drouin doubtful IMO.

13 minutes ago
@TSNBobMcKenzie: CHI prospect Phillip Danault is, IMO, highly likely to be 4th line centre tho he has flexibility to play wing. He'd be on my team.

17 minutes ago
@TSNBobMcKenzie: I believe RNH situation will be addressed this weekend but as long as he's up for it, I don't see Oilers as an impediment. It'll be his call

19 minutes ago
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Ouellet played a very strong two-way game in summer games vs. the Russians and the sense is he could be a good fit with Harrington.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Leviathan

@TSNBobMcKenzie
BOS 1st rder Malcolm Subban is favorite in goal. Other contenders: Binnington, Brossoit, Marcoux, Paterson, maybe Fucale or Comrie.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:54 AM
stokes84

Quote:
That's his point, so in case, Yakupov shouldn't be playing in the WJC either.

Not that agree with it because I don't.
No, that's not my point at all. My point is about NHL players, not KHL players. You obviously have not read through the discussion. Nor has the person you quoted. Thanks though.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Leviathan

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie
I don't believe Connor McDavid, as skilled and productive as he is, will be invited. More likely to get invited next year when he's 16.

The fact that he mentioned McDavid at all must mean there was some small consideration. Looking forward to seeing if he can pull it off next year.
I'm quoting myself because I want this to get cleared up.

I said McDavid might have been under 'some small consideration' because I inferred from McKenzie's tweet, which said "I don't believe Connor McDavid, as skilled and productive as he is, will be invited". Look closely at that language. If McKenzie believed McDavid was not alloed invited, he would have said that clearly. Instead he says despite his skill he does not 'think' he will be invited. So is Bob not aware of the Hockey Canada rules or does he know something we dont?

Last edited by Leviathan: 11-29-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old
11-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Bob McKenzie himself said that there are 5 locks: Hamilton, Rielly, Harrington, Ouellet, and Murphy

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410405
Of those, I think of Hamilton, Rielly, and Harrington as "ultra-locks", say. Murphy and Ouellet might still have some chance to play themselves off, in some combination of terrible camp + others standing on their head? Well, or at least Murphy might have (like last year) if not for the coaching situation. But with those 5 as locks/reasonably safe choices, and Murray gone, having 2 doors open instead of one isn't the end of the world.

I would want to get at least one of the '94s in as well... partly there are just so many good ones to choose from, partly also for grooming for next year... actually I'd lean pretty strongly towards two '94s for the last two spots (Reinhart, Dumba, Pouliot, Pelech, Koekkoek... just whoever shows best in camp and makes the best mix). It's not at all sure that Rielly would return for next year's team, so these 2 slots might be your only 2 returnees for 2014 on D. They aren't really above or below all the other candidates (Ceci, Percy, Corrado, Siemens, etc) at this snapshot in time, but I'd tip the balance with the advance planning for next year strategy, all else being equal.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:07 AM
topched

Quote:
No, that's not my point at all. My point is about NHL players, not KHL players. You obviously have not read through the discussion. Nor has the person you quoted. Thanks though.
I don't see the difference whatsoever, this basically just looks like a guy who wants to whine.

Yakupov would be in the NHL if it weren't for the lockout... you could likely say that about another handful of players.

Why would you tell someone "sorry you're too good" because he played in the NHL last year? Especially a guy who didn't make the world junior team 2 years ago when he was in junior, RNH was cut in favour of Sean Couturier. Should Smith-Pelley have been disallowed from playing last year as well? Or not because he wasn't a "first line centre" already.

This is a tournament for the best players born 1993 or later, plain and simple.

Closed Thread