HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 PART II *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Bossyfan71

vCash: 500
Last I checked, Brooklyn was IN New York. Changing the name to The Brooklyn Islanders might actually alienate the Long Island fans who rooted for this team since the beginning. It's bad enough that some are upset about the commute into Brooklyn. Why upset those fans even more with the name change?

Old
11-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Schultz from Point Blank went to a basketball game at the Barclays and has a write up on his thoughts on the arena over on the site along with some pictures.

http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...er/#more-37792

Old
11-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Bossyfan71

I was excited before I read the article and I am even more now after reading it. My subway line runs right to Barclay's. I can be there from my home in The Bronx in under an hour.

I have never seen the Islanders play at NVMC. I usually go to The Rock or MSG to see them play. Without public trans, I cannot get to NVMC. I don't have any friends who would be willing to go that drive. Now, I will take the 2 hour trains/bus ride to NVMC and watch as many games as I can before they leave for Brooklyn.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:49 AM
CREW99AW

A good article from Nick at the Lighthouse.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012...klyn?ref=yahoo
Finally, the Islanders should not forget where they came from. I love that they are already doing school assemblies in Brooklyn to introduce the team to local kids, but that doesn't mean the assemblies, youth clinics, and other very important charitable activities in Nassau and Suffolk should be lost. It would be a crying shame if this move also separated youth hockey players on Long Island from what was an amazing engine for its growth. The Islanders won 4 Stanley Cups on Long Island, and they can't forget that any more than those of us who are no longer living in the area can deny where we came from. Don't blame the local fan base for what politicians did.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:13 PM
potvins4cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
A good article from Nick at the Lighthouse.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012...klyn?ref=yahoo
Finally, the Islanders should not forget where they came from. I love that they are already doing school assemblies in Brooklyn to introduce the team to local kids, but that doesn't mean the assemblies, youth clinics, and other very important charitable activities in Nassau and Suffolk should be lost. It would be a crying shame if this move also separated youth hockey players on Long Island from what was an amazing engine for its growth. The Islanders won 4 Stanley Cups on Long Island, and they can't forget that any more than those of us who are no longer living in the area can deny where we came from. Don't blame the local fan base for what politicians did.
This was the first time the islanders ventured into brooklyn schools and long islanders like nick are already crying foul? face it nick. your beloved long island turned their collective backs on the ny islanders. i totally agree that the islanders should not forget the long island schools. but you need to relax and stop whining because this was the first time the islanders went to brooklyn schools.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:40 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins4cups View Post
This was the first time the islanders ventured into brooklyn schools and long islanders like nick are already crying foul? face it nick. your beloved long island turned their collective backs on the ny islanders. i totally agree that the islanders should not forget the long island schools. but you need to relax and stop whining because this was the first time the islanders went to brooklyn schools.
I don't think he's crying. He writes that he loves that the isles are already doing school assemblies, reaching out to the new fanbase in Brooklyn.

He just makes the point, that there is no reason to stop their outreach on LI. I agree with him. It doesn't have to be one location over the other. When the lockout ends, the isles should be sending some of their players/ice girls to Brooklyn events and some of their players/ice girls to Nassau County events.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Steve55

Quote:
I don't think he's crying. He writes that he loves that the isles are already doing school assemblies, reaching out to the new fanbase in Brooklyn.

He just makes the point, that there is no reason to stop their outreach on LI. I agree with him. It doesn't have to be one location over the other. When the lockout ends, the isles should be sending some of their players/ice girls to Brooklyn events and some of their players/ice girls to Nassau County events.
I hope the Isles will have community events spread all over geographical Long Island, but the portions of those events for every borough/county should be based on the latest population figures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island

Old
11-19-2012, 12:45 PM
CREW99AW

$14m+ a yr for rent at Barclay's? Or $6m a yr?

The Post says the isles will pay more then $14m a yr in rent, while the Daily News says the Isles will pay $6m a yr in rent.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/catego...ork-islanders/
■The Daily News reports that while lease details weren’t disclosed, “the monthly rent is expected to be more than the $14 million a year the Islanders were willing to pay for a new Long Island home.” If so, that’d be a mild coup for the Barclays Center — $14 million a year comes to $350,000 per game, which should be enough to make up for any loss of concerts — though the more interesting question is how and whether the Islanders will share in proceeds from such things as concessions and sale of luxury suites, which currently all go to the arena owners. [UPDATE: As Norman Oder notes below, the New York Post projects the rent as $6 million a year, which is, obviously, a lot less.]

Old
11-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Steve55

Quote:
$14m+ a yr for rent at Barclay's? Or $6m a yr?

The Post says the isles will pay more then $14m a yr in rent, while the Daily News says the Isles will pay $6m a yr in rent.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/catego...ork-islanders/
■The Daily News reports that while lease details weren’t disclosed, “the monthly rent is expected to be more than the $14 million a year the Islanders were willing to pay for a new Long Island home.” If so, that’d be a mild coup for the Barclays Center — $14 million a year comes to $350,000 per game, which should be enough to make up for any loss of concerts — though the more interesting question is how and whether the Islanders will share in proceeds from such things as concessions and sale of luxury suites, which currently all go to the arena owners. [UPDATE: As Norman Oder notes below, the New York Post projects the rent as $6 million a year, which is, obviously, a lot less.]
Well obviously the Isles saw the dollar signs when signing the Barclays lease. I really think Wang will sell the franchise to Forest City and Prokhorov after a few years in Brooklyn.

Divvying up the Isles asking price (300 to 400M) according to the arena ownership divisions shouldn't be too difficult. Prokhorvov may pay up to 180 M for the team with Forest City paying off the balance (up to 220M).

Old
11-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Steve55

http://libn.com/2012/11/19/monti-rat...u-hub-project/

A development team headed by Donald Monti of Plainview-based Renaissance Downtowns has been chosen to redevelop the 77 acres surrounding the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, according to officials familiar with the plan.

Brooklyn Barclays Center developer Bruce Ratner has also been selected to assess the aging Coliseum and provide an optimization report to the county on how to best market the facility, officials said.

The development group headed by Monti includes RXR Realty, Jones Lang Lasalle and Woodbury-based Spector Group. Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano was expected to unveil the plan on Tuesday, the officials said.

The group will serve as master planner and architect for a proposed mixed-use development featuring a research and development campus, corporate offices and some retail space. Other developers who were vying for the project included Syosset-based Blumenfeld Development Group, Baldassano Architecture in Patchogue and Breslin Realty in Garden City.

While there is no housing envisioned in the current plan, sources said the redevelopment will tie into Renaissance Downtown’s revitalization of 26 acres of downtown Hempstead, which includes housing.

Renaissance spokesman Brandon Palanker and a Mangano spokeswoman declined comment.

Ratner and the Barclays Center recently lured Charles Wang and the New York Islanders from the Coliseum to Brooklyn beginning in 2015 when the team’s lease with the county ends. Wang and Ratner announced the arrangement about a month ago.

I think it's now fair to say Ratner will try to assist Wang in breaking to Isles lease to Nassau a few years early.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:05 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post

A development team headed by Donald Monti of Plainview-based Renaissance Downtowns has been chosen to redevelop the 77 acres surrounding the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, according to officials familiar with the plan.

Brooklyn Barclays Center developer Bruce Ratner has also been selected to assess the aging Coliseum and provide an optimization report to the county on how to best market the facility, officials said.

The development group headed by Monti includes RXR Realty, Jones Lang Lasalle and Woodbury-based Spector Group. Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano was expected to unveil the plan on Tuesday, the officials said.

The group will serve as master planner and architect for a proposed mixed-use development featuring a research and development campus, corporate offices and some retail space. Other developers who were vying for the project included Syosset-based Blumenfeld Development Group, Baldassano Architecture in Patchogue and Breslin Realty in Garden City.

While there is no housing envisioned in the current plan, sources said the redevelopment will tie into Renaissance Downtown’s revitalization of 26 acres of downtown Hempstead, which includes housing.

Renaissance spokesman Brandon Palanker and a Mangano spokeswoman declined comment.

Ratner and the Barclays Center recently lured Charles Wang and the New York Islanders from the Coliseum to Brooklyn beginning in 2015 when the team’s lease with the county ends. Wang and Ratner announced the arrangement about a month ago.

I think it's now fair to say Ratner will try to assist Wang in breaking to Isles lease to Nassau a few years early.

Until your last line, I was wondering why Ratner was getting involved.

It'll be interesting to see if the pols can put their partisan politics aside, now that they've lost their only pro team.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Steve55

I wonder if any of the luxury suites will be useless in the obstructed sections.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:

Agree. On another message board someone who is close to Nets management says it's likely that NYI will be in Brooklyn before 2015. He was right on things before like moving to Brooklyn so we'll see.

Old
11-20-2012, 08:53 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Agree. On another message board someone who is close to Nets management says it's likely that NYI will be in Brooklyn before 2015. He was right on things before like moving to Brooklyn so we'll see.
What message board? Who is the poster?

Old
11-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
What message board? Who is the poster?
http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012...no-development

Poster is Net Income and he's been right often.

Old
11-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Steve55

Does anyone know if there is any underground parking for Barclays? If not, where would the buses for concerts and visitors park ?

Old
11-24-2012, 09:22 PM
IslesArchieFan
Oh Cptn, My Cptn

Quote:
Does anyone know if there is any underground parking for Barclays? If not, where would the buses for concerts and visitors park ?
http://www.barclayscenter.com/arena/parking

http://www.barclaysparking.com/

It appears buses would have to use one of the lots indicated on the link above. It is similar at Yankee Stadium, although at the stadium there is one large parking garage and several small lots. The buses for out-of-towners use those lots.

If there is underground parking no one is talking about it. I'm sure there is something for Front Office Staff and Players, etc.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Bert Marshall days

Niederreiter & Nilsson Ready For Barclays Center

Nino Niederreiter and Anders Nilsson had a chance to take in a Brooklyn Nets game at Barclays Center on Nov. 26. Both players left with the same impression of the new, state-of-the-art facility -

Among other quotes,

Niederreiter: The inside of the building looks phenomenal. All the food stands look very nice. The bathrooms are so much bigger than the coliseum. It’s just a great spot to be and watch the game. The seats we had were great, in Section 118. I feel like there’s probably not a bad seat in the whole arena.

Nilsson: We sat in Section 104, in the corner. It wasn’t center-court, but that didn’t matter. We had a great view of the court. It doesn’t really matter where you’re sitting in the arena, whether you’re high or low, you’re going to have a great view of the action. It’s a great set-up with great sight lines.

Niederreiter: All the big screens in the building look great. During the game, I kept thinking about how it might look even better if there was a nice ice rink with an Islanders logo right in the middle. It was a great game, very close, and it even went to overtime. I think when we play hockey in there the whole building is going to be so energetic. It’s definitely going to be a great atmosphere. I just kept imagining what it would be like with our team in there, and it’s very exciting to think about the future there.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=646450

Old
11-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

So I made my first trip to our new home this past Sunday for the Blazers - Nets game. To sum it up in one sentence... I can't wait for 2015 to finally arrive. Yes, it's that good.

The first thing you will notice is how dark it is. It's kinda like a movie theater. Both the concourses and the seating area are extremely dark. Personally, I like it. It really focuses things on what is important... the game on the ice/court. You won't be able to take your eyes off the scoreboard either.

The second thing you will notice is the steepness of the seats. As opposed to the spread out, sprawling seats of MSG, the seats at Barclay's pretty much go straight up. That makes for high seats being very high but you feel right on top of the action. This works for hockey and will create a very intimidating atmosphere.

I really can't make any comments on how loud the building gets because even though the building was near full and the Nets won, it was still a Sunday afternoon against the Portland Trailblazers. It never got loud. I really want to hear what it sounds like after a goal is scored. I would assume it's going to be extremely loud given how intimate the building feels. I really feel this could be the U.S. version of the MTS Centre... assuming of course our fans make themselves heard.

And the trip there? Wow. Shocked. I thought it was going to be a pain in the ass. It wasn't. Going, I took the LIRR from RVC to Penn. Took 40 mins. Then took the 2 train down to the arena which took another 20 mins. Even that wasn't bad but going home I tried something different. Walked an extra block to the LIRR and took it straight to Jamaica, transferred across the platform and took the Babylon train back to RVC. So from the Barclay's back to RVC took less than 45 mins.

Overall I was highly impressed. I still am a bit iffy on the whole idea of having seating in one of the endzones closed off but other than that gripe, I have zero complaints. The building is awesome and the Islanders *should* thrive in a facility like that.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
So I made my first trip to our new home this past Sunday for the Blazers - Nets game. To sum it up in one sentence... I can't wait for 2015 to finally arrive. Yes, it's that good.

The first thing you will notice is how dark it is. It's kinda like a movie theater. Both the concourses and the seating area are extremely dark. Personally, I like it. It really focuses things on what is important... the game on the ice/court. You won't be able to take your eyes off the scoreboard either.

The second thing you will notice is the steepness of the seats. As opposed to the spread out, sprawling seats of MSG, the seats at Barclay's pretty much go straight up. That makes for high seats being very high but you feel right on top of the action. This works for hockey and will create a very intimidating atmosphere.

I really can't make any comments on how loud the building gets because even though the building was near full and the Nets won, it was still a Sunday afternoon against the Portland Trailblazers. It never got loud. I really want to hear what it sounds like after a goal is scored. I would assume it's going to be extremely loud given how intimate the building feels. I really feel this could be the U.S. version of the MTS Centre... assuming of course our fans make themselves heard.

And the trip there? Wow. Shocked. I thought it was going to be a pain in the ass. It wasn't. Going, I took the LIRR from RVC to Penn. Took 40 mins. Then took the 2 train down to the arena which took another 20 mins. Even that wasn't bad but going home I tried something different. Walked an extra block to the LIRR and took it straight to Jamaica, transferred across the platform and took the Babylon train back to RVC. So from the Barclay's back to RVC took less than 45 mins.

Overall I was highly impressed. I still am a bit iffy on the whole idea of having seating in one of the endzones closed off but other than that gripe, I have zero complaints. The building is awesome and the Islanders *should* thrive in a facility like that.
I have not been there yet. I will most likely not go until there is a islander game in this building. I assume they will do preseason there next season if there is a next season. I keep hearing people say how high the seats are. I am not a huge fan of that style of seating personally. I do not remember what building i was in recently that had that style of seating bit i remember not being keen on it. I am also not looking Forward to the travel to Brooklyn.
I get sick on trains for some reason. I also know that a drive there would be horrid.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Isles Junkie

[IMG][/IMG]

Our logo made it onto the Brooklyn Borough Presidents monthly newsletter

Old
11-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Dan-o16

BTW, I'm happy to report that traffic to and from Barclay's is not spilling out on to Easter Parkway/Grand Army Plaza. I was really worried about it (I commute between the Park Slope area, and Jamaica, Queens).

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
11-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Our logo made it onto the Brooklyn Borough Presidents monthly newsletter
The Isles need to change their logo to accommodate Brooklyn and Queens ASAP

Old
11-28-2012, 01:57 PM
IslesArchieFan
Oh Cptn, My Cptn

Quote:
The Isles need to change their logo to accommodate Brooklyn and Queens ASAP
Although I am not disagreeing, the Nets announced they would be moving back to New York in 2005 when Ratner and Co. purchased the team.

They just changed the logo this off season.

Also I would assume they want to do a 'Final Season' patch and IMO i don't see them changing the logo (at least that they wear on the ice) until then.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:18 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post

This is what I noticed for the Knicks Nets game. I could not even see the fans directly across the arena... I wonder if the lighting for hockey with be different? The arena is amazing, I love the widness of it, you dont feel as crowded walking around as the Colli. I walked to the top and its pretry steep but right on top of the action. Also the building can get Loud. Im excited and cant wait forthe Isles to be playing there.

Closed Thread