HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVI: Get Your Kicks On Thread LXVI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2012, 09:42 AM
  #51
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 500
Guys, remember. The lease agreement is secure, but far from complete. And Jiggy-with-it still hasn't bought the team, along with his mysterious Balkan clan.

This thing ain't over yet.

Puckschmuck* is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 09:56 AM
  #52
powerstuck
User Registered
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Serbia
Posts: 2,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT21 View Post
Is the lease official and binding as of right now or when GJ actually buys the team?
Jamison needs to buy the team.

And to buy the team from the NHL, Jamison needs to have a valid deal with the COG.

Round and round and round and round we go...We go round and round and round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Guys, remember. The lease agreement is secure, but far from complete. And Jiggy-with-it still hasn't bought the team, along with his mysterious Balkan clan.

This thing ain't over yet.
Hey, I was born in Balkans and my people have nothing to do with it.

powerstuck is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:05 AM
  #53
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Good to hear, Yotes fans. This was a big step, and I was pulling for you guys. I hate seeing fans lose their teams, regardless of fanbase size or demographics or whatever.

Assuming this all actually happens as advertized, that Jamieson does indeed keep the team in Phoenix, the next step is clear: you'd better support the team. This is all for nothing if nobody shows up. It will literally be years and years wasted.

Someone took the keys to your car and threatened to drive away for years, Coyotes fans. Now that you've (in theory) got those keys back... now's the time to show us how well you can drive.
Thanks, but I'm so utterly sick of this ridiculous lecture. Who are you talking to? Phoenix Coyotes fans arent the problem. The problem is there aren't enough of them. So who exactly are you lecturing? Do you honestly think folks creepy enough about hockey that they skulk about the BoH forum at HFboards.com are dispassionate Coyotes fans? It's absurd. The folks you are dressing down have not yet ever seen or heard of this website.

Edit: Now here I am doing the same thing. Misplacing a lecture. I understand what you are saying and I appreciate the sentiment.

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.

Last edited by rt: 11-28-2012 at 10:16 AM.
rt is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:12 AM
  #54
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
I agree the referendum is doubtful unless Jones gets help from the tax initiative people. The number of signatures is considerably higher due to the presidential election.

Will be interesting to see if GWI actually does anything.

CF: Even if the GWI did win a case on the gift clause, how would the agreement be affected?
Most likely, the plaintiff party (GWI or other) would seek injunctive relief during the next 30 days while the ordinance is dormant. (Because there was not sufficient support for the emergency clause, the ordinance allowing the city manager to execute the agreement cannot be signed until approx 12/27/12*). If injunction was granted, the city would be prohibited from signing the agreement until the verdict was entered (could be years). If it was found that the agreement was in violation of the Gift Clause, it would be void.

A referendum effort absent appropriate funding will likely fail again. A ballot drive with appropriate funding will likely succeed again. In a general sense, the timing is also slightly better for petition circulators, as the holidays will likely have more residents out and about compared to summer vacation season.

I'm most curious to see if any wildcards come into play. There is quite a bit of political capital on the table here waiting to be seized. An astutely advised new council member or mayor could gain wide recognition by attaching their name (and donor base) to a referendum effort. Nothing astute has ever happened in Glendale as far as I can tell though, so I'm not suggesting such an event will actually occur.

The next 30 days will be fun.

*Note: I don't think Glendale uses a "first reading, finally past" governance structure meaning this item is considered finally past based upon the vote last night. Some municipalities require a final passage 7 days later.

Fugu, I believe the BK docs indicated that Moyes requested $12MM per year; $6MM from Glendale and $6MM from Westgate merchants.

CasualFan is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:19 AM
  #55
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket
 
Stanley Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec City
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Jamison needs to buy the team.

And to buy the team from the NHL, Jamison needs to have a valid deal with the COG.

Round and round and round and round we go...We go round and round and round.



Hey, I was born in Balkans and my people have nothing to do with it.
Think he refers to the Atlanta scenario

Stanley Cup is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:24 AM
  #56
checkerdome
Registered User
 
checkerdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 851
vCash: 500
I wonder which vein of untapped Yotes fans will be the most productive?

1) The fans for whom Jobing is too inconveniently located

or

2) The general population of Glendale who now have the opportunity to support a team they never wanted to get their tax dollars in the first place; as they watch city services being cut to allow tax revenues to be funnelled to an ICE hockey team.


In any case, the current fan base is more than enough to continue making the franchise the money maker we all know and recognize.

checkerdome is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:24 AM
  #57
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,723
vCash: 500
Indeed CF. Wildcard. That's exactly what I expect. The unexpected.

It is exactly at times like these when we all start listing timelines and hurdles that some craziness comes out of nowhere and becomes THE topic of discussion for the next month. I think its about time we all again become expert in some mundane and obscure government/political/legal process.

rt is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:30 AM
  #58
GF
Registered User
 
GF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
If GJ had the cash, he should have bought it earlier. The logics behind waiting for a new council that's opposed to the deal is clear as mud.

Wouldn't the policemen, firemen and librarians be ready to give a hand to gather signatures to get the referendum? A lot of them are gonna lose their jobs in a few weeks, isn't that motivational enough?

Come dec 4th, people of Glendale will know the actual financial situation of their city. It's probably worst than anyone thinks.

The mayor made it quite clear imho that the city is subsidizing the Coyotes and the chances are that GWI won't let this go by.

I don't see how this will go through.

GF is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:32 AM
  #59
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,663
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Has it really been two years since we were at this exact same point with Hulsizer?

Roughneck is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:33 AM
  #60
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
I wonder which vein of untapped Yotes fans will be the most productive?

1) The fans for whom Jobing is too inconveniently located

or

2) The general population of Glendale who now have the opportunity to support a team they never wanted to get their tax dollars in the first place; as they watch city services being cut to allow tax revenues to be funnelled to an ICE hockey team.


In any case, the current fan base is more than enough to continue making the franchise the money maker we all know and recognize.
I can't imagine that you actually want to go round and round on this same tired argument again. You don't really, do you? Are you actually interested in discussing those answers to your questions with the same Coyotes fans again?

So why float this repetitive jab out there over and over again? It is no less tired than the "evil Canadian" routine. Really, its not. What's the point?

rt is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:36 AM
  #61
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
If GJ had the cash, he should have bought it earlier. The logics behind waiting for a new council that's opposed to the deal is clear as mud.

Wouldn't the policemen, firemen and librarians be ready to give a hand to gather signatures to get the referendum? A lot of them are gonna lose their jobs in a few weeks, isn't that motivational enough?

Come dec 4th, people of Glendale will know the actual financial situation of their city. It's probably worst than anyone thinks.

The mayor made it quite clear imho that the city is subsidizing the Coyotes and the chances are that GWI won't let this go by.

I don't see how this will go through.
Policemen, firemen and librarians are going to lose their jobs in a few weeks? And they can escape this fate by helping in an effort to refer the Jamison deal to the ballot? Are you sure about that? I feel like I'd probably have heard about that by now if it were true. Then again, a lot does get passed me.

rt is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:36 AM
  #62
checkerdome
Registered User
 
checkerdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I can't imagine that you actually want to go round and round on this same tired argument again. You don't really, do you? Are you actually interested in discussing those answers to your questions with the same Coyotes fans again?

So why float this repetitive jab out there over and over again? It is no less tired than the "evil Canadian" routine. Really, its not. What's the point?
If someone knowledgeable, as you seem to be, would answer these questions in a valid fashion, they may very well go away.

checkerdome is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:49 AM
  #63
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,359
vCash: 500
http://www.glendalestar.com/news/art...a4bcf887a.html

“I can’t say this is the best decision when we don’t have the money,” Alvarez said. “We can’t afford it.”

“We just don’t have the money,” Scruggs said. “I choose to support people who are in different uniforms over people in Coyotes uniforms.”

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:50 AM
  #64
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
If someone knowledgeable, as you seem to be, would answer these questions in a valid fashion, they may very well go away.
Valid. Ha! That's rich.

Let me provide you with some answers that will probably meet your criteria for valid responses.

Alright, let me put on my preissingg hat and give this a whirl...

There is no vein to be tapped for hockey fans in the desert. Hockey is unnatural in any area without steady snowfall and frigid temperatures. Expanding the National Hockey League beyond Canada's border should only include a very select few American cities worthy of Canada's game. Cities like Buffalo, New York, Boston, Chicago(but only when they are winning), Philadelphia, Pittsburgh(but only when they are winning), DC(again, only good teams), Detroit, and Minneapolis. Expansion to places like San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, Colorado, St. Louis, Ohio, Nashville, Atlanta, Florida, and Carolina is an endeavor bound to fail eventually, and completely.

There is absolutely no potential whatsoever in Phoenix or any other market in warmer states like California, Texas, Florida, etc.

Further the state of the US economy is now as it will always be and we shall never see a return to the climate that fostered much of this expansion to begin with. Places like Phoenix, which is still reeling from the housing collapse will never recover, may eventually bankrupt, and will more than likely be abandoned by their inhabitants and return to their natural, god given state of barren wasteland. As they should.

Good start so far?

rt is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:51 AM
  #65
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Policemen, firemen and librarians are going to lose their jobs in a few weeks? And they can escape this fate by helping in an effort to refer the Jamison deal to the ballot? Are you sure about that? I feel like I'd probably have heard about that by now if it were true. Then again, a lot does get passed me.
http://www.glendalestar.com/news/art...a4bcf887a.html

With at least 150 city jobs estimated to be eliminated in the first five years, along with multiple city services threatened down the road, with the approval of the agreement, council had a heavy decision weighing on their shoulders.

Can't say who exactly is going to be canned, but cuts are going to happen.

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:56 AM
  #66
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,819
vCash: 400
Congrats Yotes fans, lets hope this thing finally gets signed, sealed and delivered and you can look forward to having your team there long term.

pepty is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:57 AM
  #67
checkerdome
Registered User
 
checkerdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Valid. Ha! That's rich.

Let me provide you with some answers that will probably meet your criteria for valid responses.

Alright, let me put on my preissingg hat and give this a whirl...

There is no vein to be tapped for hockey fans in the desert. Hockey is unnatural in any area without steady snowfall and frigid temperatures. Expanding the National Hockey League beyond Canada's border should only include a very select few American cities worthy of Canada's game. Cities like Buffalo, New York, Boston, Chicago(but only when they are winning), Philadelphia, Pittsburgh(but only when they are winning), DC(again, only good teams), Detroit, and Minneapolis. Expansion to places like San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, Colorado, St. Louis, Ohio, Nashville, Atlanta, Florida, and Carolina is an endeavor bound to fail eventually, and completely.

There is absolutely no potential whatsoever in Phoenix or any other market in warmer states like California, Texas, Florida, etc.

Further the state of the US economy is now as it will always be and we shall never see a return to the climate that fostered much of this expansion to begin with. Places like Phoenix, which is still reeling from the housing collapse will never recover, may eventually bankrupt, and will more than likely be abandoned by their inhabitants and return to their natural, god given state of barren wasteland. As they should.

Good start so far?
Given what you, as a knowledgeable Coyotes fan, have just described here, why were Yotes fans celebrating last night's COG vote?

checkerdome is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:16 AM
  #68
GF
Registered User
 
GF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
Given what you, as a knowledgeable Coyotes fan, have just described here, why were Yotes fans celebrating last night's COG vote?
Maybe because they were from Phoenix/Scottsdale and the tab is being paid by Glendale...

GF is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:18 AM
  #69
Simerc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Figured I'd try my hand at writing the intro, since my title suggestion got picked. Kind of hard to adapt because it's mostly a list of geographical locations.

If you ever plan to reinvigorate Westgate,
Negociate my way, take the AMF that is best.
Get your kicks on thread sixty-six.

It winds from Saskatoon to Tohono O’Odham,
More than two thousand investors all the way.
Get your kicks on thread sixty-six.

Now you go through Hamilton
Seattle, Washington,
And Québec city is mighty pretty.
You see Toronto 2,
Phoenix Monarch Group (some Mexicans…),
Scottsdale, Arizona.
Don't forget Moyes,
IEH, Hulsizer, San Balsillie…

Won't you get hip to this timely tip:
When you make that Arizona trip
Get your kicks on thread sixty-six.

Solo (performed by ducks)

Won't you get hip to this timely tip:
When you make that Arizona trip
Get your kicks on thread sixty-six.
Get your kicks on thread sixty-six.
Get your kicks on thread sixty-six.

Simerc is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:20 AM
  #70
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,933
vCash: 500
So Jamison has until jan 31 to close the deal or new the council will/can void the agreement?

68 days away

GordonGraham is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:21 AM
  #71
checkerdome
Registered User
 
checkerdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
Maybe because they were from Phoenix/Scottsdale and the tab is being paid by Glendale...
THAT explains it!

checkerdome is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:25 AM
  #72
checkerdome
Registered User
 
checkerdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
So Jamison has until jan 31 to close the deal or new the council will/can void the agreement?

68 days away
This entire process is famous for it's "soft" deadlines.

checkerdome is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:26 AM
  #73
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
So Jamison has until jan 31 to close the deal or new the council will/can void the agreement?

68 days away
Pretty sure Jan. 31 was the date included in the agreement which I believe was finalized before they were sure whether or not they'd maintain a pro-coyotes majority in the council. IIRC, the new council will take their seats two weeks sooner than that date. So, more like 54 days, I suppose. However, I don't think this agreement can actually be signed in less than thirty days from today. Haha.

It would appear that if this is going to close before the new council is seated, it'll need to be between December 28th and January 15th? Unless I've misunderstood.

rt is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:27 AM
  #74
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
This entire process is famous for it's "soft" deadlines.
Even with the new council/mayor?

GordonGraham is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:28 AM
  #75
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
This entire process is famous for it's "soft" deadlines.
True. And while it doesn't seem to make any sense for the JIG/NHL to want to deal with the incoming council, I just can't see a resolution to this coming prior to Jan.15. I just can't.

rt is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.