HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Ownership Cluster**** Thread: NHL and GJ, Put Up or Shut Up!

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 06:55 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Guys, I'm glad for you all. Another big hurdle cleared. Hopefully, Jameson(sp) closes the sale quickly and you can put the relocation threat behind you.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:00 AM
XX
... Waiting

Hell of a deal for Jamison if you do the numbers.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:11 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

If there is a referendum that the citizens request to be put on tha ballot, provided the petitions are correct then it puts a halt on the ordinance on going into effect and causing irrevocable harm before the citizens can vote. That vote wouldn't necessarily take 2 years when the next city election is, rather the new council can hold a special election earlier if they want to.

Take note that the Mayors comments, last night, explicitly stated that the motion passed and didn't have the # of votes to pass as an emergency measure.

Also with the vote going 4-2 had Mrs Alerez not attended (the phone counts) then the vote passes 4-1 and I believe that would have passed as an emergency (emergency = no possibility of referendum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
So to be a little more on subject.

Am I the only one who isn't celebrating at all after today?

We still have the specter of a referendum, and a somewhat tight window to deal with afterwards even if the signature gathering attempts fail.

Say Jones and whoever else he recruits this time around learns from their initial mistakes and actually files their forms correctly this time around, and due to better petitioning and more comfortable weather, they do get the 3,000+ signatures that'll be required.

I seem to remember reading about an emergency vote that would be held in Glendale for items that didn't make July's cutoff. If they collect their signatures how long will we have to wait for them to hold the election for the Arena Lease Agreement proposition? Cause Jamison couldn't continue on with buying the team if the Lease Agreement is held up awaiting a public vote, right?

That would definitely push us past January 31st and we'd have to what then? Have the new anti-Coyote council have a re-vote?

Is there any leg work Greg can do between now and December 27th to save him some time if the agreement goes into place? I'm not going into any of this "having to find investors" nonsense because if you think they're dragging all this out this far when all the inner-most parties know Greg doesn't have any money you're a buffoon, but I'm just worried there would be some red tape with the league between December 27th and January 31st and we're SOL after all this time/work/effort/emotion...

Old
11-28-2012, 08:21 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Hell of a deal for Jamison if you do the numbers.
The thing is though, he has to cash that CoG check each year and there could come a point where they bounce.

I'm not familiar with the politics of the Valley, but how difficult would it have been to do this as a regional deal? That would've spread the burden more widely... The AMF is over 10% of CoG's operating budget.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:55 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
I'm pretty sure this all means you guys will get to keep the Coyotes, so congratulations! Hope everything works out for you guys.

And if this message is still too early... then stay strong.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
I'm pretty sure this all means you guys will get to keep the Coyotes, so congratulations! Hope everything works out for you guys.

And if this message is still too early... then stay strong.
To be fair, at this point if Bettman and Jamison were on stage together announcing the final sale of the coyotes to Jamison, I would still be nervouse about the final outcome.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:22 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
To be fair, at this point if Bettman and Jamison were on stage together announcing the final sale of the coyotes to Jamison, I would still be nervouse about the final outcome.

Fair enough. In any case, saw the news article on TSN and figured at least it seemed like they were one step closer to the right direction!

Old
11-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Naurutger
Drives To Far

vCash: 1329
The biggest issue for Glendale during the next 30 years is....

$13 million in debt servicing payments alone for FY13, over $400 million remains on the stadium (including interest). The two teams combined had a total attendance of 219,967 in 2012 during its 30 events.....over 657,741 people attended the roughly 50 events the Coyotes hosted last year and the businesses get the spillover since nothing is around Camelback.

So relocate the Dodgers? (CWS just went along for the ride).

Old
11-28-2012, 10:11 AM
MP

So I'm thinking of going out of my way to do some of my holiday shopping at Westgate while wearing a Coyotes hat or shirt or something. But I can't decide if that's A) a good idea, B) a stupid idea, or C) likely to get my tires slashed. Or, I suppose, D) not likely to be noticed one way or the other.

The thing is, I've never paid much attention to the notion that we should "vote with our feet" or our money or whatever. I did vote with my **** once, but that was in college and my sense of Civic Responsibility had ****-all to do with my decision. Point is, the concept is unfamiliar to me. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Can somebody help me out?

Old
11-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Naurutger
Drives To Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
So I'm thinking of going out of my way to do some of my holiday shopping at Westgate while wearing a Coyotes hat or shirt or something. But I can't decide if that's A) a good idea, B) a stupid idea, or C) likely to get my tires slashed. Or, I suppose, D) not likely to be noticed one way or the other.
The haters never go to Westgate anyways and I usually receive a "Go Yotes" when I wear my gear to go shopping. The businesses there are serious about needing the green in your pocket.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:31 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So, the lease can't be signed for thirty days, right? And the new council is seated on the 16th of January, right? So, this will need to close between Dec28 and Jan15, more or less, if the NHL/JIG want to avoid going before the new council? Am I mistaken?

11-28-2012, 10:32 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
The haters never go to Westgate anyways and I usually receive a "Go Yotes" when I wear my gear to go shopping. The businesses there are serious about needing the green in your pocket.
Are there actually "haters"?

Old
11-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Naurutger
Drives To Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Possibly "crazies" is better. They are identifiable because they run around quacking like a duck....

Old
11-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Naurutger
Drives To Far

Quote:
So, the lease can't be signed for thirty days, right? And the new council is seated on the 16th of January, right? So, this will need to close between Dec28 and Jan15, more or less, if the NHL/JIG want to avoid going before the new council? Am I mistaken?
If any part of the deal is changed or Jamison has not completed the purchase with the NHL by 1/31/13 then the new council is in play since some sort of vote would be required. My understanding was that Jamison agreed to the deadline so he felt that 30 days would be enough. He now needs to go to his investors and say I have the lease so are you in?

Old
11-28-2012, 11:01 AM
LAIslanderFan

Congrats!!! Glad to hear the good news. I've been going through similar pain lately with my Islanders. I should mention, that I live in Los Angeles and try and make the drive once a year to Phoenix to catch a Coyote game (last season I saw Shane Doan score a hat trick against my Islanders). I love that arena and I think the fan base there is underated and underappreciated.

Good luck on your season (if there is one).

Old
11-28-2012, 11:16 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Congrats!!! Glad to hear the good news. I've been going through similar pain lately with my Islanders. I should mention, that I live in Los Angeles and try and make the drive once a year to Phoenix to catch a Coyote game (last season I saw Shane Doan score a hat trick against my Islanders). I love that arena and I think the fan base there is underated and underappreciated.

Good luck on your season (if there is one).
If you were wearing the new purple, black and silver Islanders third, standing near section 205, and wearing glasses, than I'd like to apologize for my behavior.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Naurutger
Drives To Far

FYI the Coyotes moved up a spot in Forbes' Team Values. The team's revenue increased by $13M over last year. Same overall value of $134M.

11/2012 Report: http://www.forbes.com/teams/phoenix-coyotes/

11/2011 Report: http://bizofhockey.com/index.php?opt...news&Itemid=51

Old
11-28-2012, 12:20 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
the new council isn't going to unravel this deal, now if its not cemented before Jan 31st then that's a whole nother story. The Mayor Elect doesn't want to start the new council off with decent, he wants to build harmony. While the new Mayor isn't a fan of the deal he was more interested in using an anti lease position to get elected.

Post Jan 15th you have:
Pro Coyotes: Martinez, Knnack (to an extent), Sherwood
Anti Coyotes: Alverez, Chavira, Hugh

the pivotal vote will be Mayor Weirs. He is a seasoned politician and likely more pragmatic than ideologically driven.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:35 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
If you were wearing the new purple, black and silver Islanders third, standing near section 205, and wearing glasses, than I'd like to apologize for my behavior.
Purple, black and silver? That definetely wasn't me.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:36 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
C) likely to get my tires slashed. Or, I suppose, D) not likely to be noticed one way or the other.
Quote:
Haha, no. Arizona politics just aren't that intense either as a general rule, its the mañana' attitude.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:56 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Srah McClellen was just on a pretty hostile Winnipeg sports show and really represented herself well. I was expected them to jump her, beat the heck out of her, and hurry her off the phone before she got a word in edgewise. She did a good. Especially considering they couldn't see her. haha. She's very nice to look at, which I'm sure helps a great deal in many situations in her line of work. Good to hear her hold her own telephonically like that.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:04 PM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Srah McClellen was just on a pretty hostile Winnipeg sports show and really represented herself well. I was expected them to jump her, beat the heck out of her, and hurry her off the phone before she got a word in edgewise. She did a good. Especially considering they couldn't see her. haha. She's very nice to look at, which I'm sure helps a great deal in many situations in her line of work. Good to hear her hold her own telephonically like that.
Do you have a link to that if it was recorded? I'd love to take a listen...

Old
11-28-2012, 03:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

It was on TSN radio Winnipeg. I listen to TSN Winnipeg, Toronto, and Montreal for most of the day at work. I just alternate between whichever is not on commercial. I'm pretty sure she was on a show called the Rona Round Table. They may have a podcast available tomorrow, or later today, I'm not sure.

Try here: http://www2.tsn.ca/podcasts/ronaroundtable.xml

Old
11-28-2012, 03:51 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
FYI the Coyotes moved up a spot in Forbes' Team Values. The team's revenue increased by $13M over last year. Same overall value of $134M.

11/2012 Report: http://www.forbes.com/teams/phoenix-coyotes/

11/2011 Report: http://bizofhockey.com/index.php?opt...news&Itemid=51
From that page, I found this story.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comme...46/?cmpid=rss1

Quote:
In pro football, owners share the television, licensing and merchandising revenue equally among all teams (yes, equally). Forty per cent of all gate receipts are also shared around the league. Not only does this revenue sharing allow teams to exist in small markets such as Green Bay, Wis., it also allows them to thrive in otherwise illogical locations. Instead of winning four Super Bowl titles – the sixth-highest total in league history – the Packers would have shut down or relocated long ago were it not for the NFL’s wealth redistribution strategies.
Just an interesting thing to read knowing how successful the NFL is.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Just an interesting thing to read knowing how successful the NFL is.
Unfortunately I don't think power owners like MLSE, Jeremy Jacobs, James Dolan, etc. would ever embrace that model.

Closed Thread