HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 11:08 AM
sanityplease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Yeah I have a guy like that on my team. Good player but **** is he frustrating when he tries to gain the line and go through 3-4 players.

I almost wish there was contact in our league as hed get demolished once and stop doing that.

Im certainly not a great player and I suck at skating but I have a good idea of where to put the puck even if I cant always get it there.

What Ive found is some player have good skating and puck handling skills and not a lot of positional sense.

These are the guys that tend to "run" with the puck and end up being successful 1 out of 4 times.

Not only do they tend to make too many moves at the line they also do it further back and slow the rush down which means the other forwards have to slow down and get off key.
Have a guy came back to the team I'm on (he stopped playing mid season last year). He insists on playing center,,,, doesn't back check at all & every time he touches the puck he goes head down & tries to stickhandle through the entire team. Always has open wingers, but never uses them.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
Have a guy came back to the team I'm on (he stopped playing mid season last year). He insists on playing center,,,, doesn't back check at all & every time he touches the puck he goes head down & tries to stickhandle through the entire team. Always has open wingers, but never uses them.
Lol

You brought up another thing up my craw which is centers who dont back check.

Especially ones that go to the front of the net and dont hang high slot and then are last to get back!

Old
11-28-2012, 11:49 AM
sanityplease

Quote:
Lol

You brought up another thing up my craw which is centers who dont back check.

Especially ones that go to the front of the net and dont hang high slot and then are last to get back!
They don't know how to play the position, the guy I mentioned would be a decent winger, but he generates more offence for the other team as a centerman.

That's the worst thing IMO about beer leagues, it takes years & years of practice to become a really good player, but only a small amount of time to learn (literally hours) about basic hockey strategy & positional responsibility. There is really no excuse for not learning that basic stuff, it's the quickest way to help the team. More competetive divisions can have a pretty broad range of skill vs. athletisicm, but they all 'know' how to play an organized game of hockey.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
They don't know how to play the position, the guy I mentioned would be a decent winger, but he generates more offence for the other team as a centerman.

That's the worst thing IMO about beer leagues, it takes years & years of practice to become a really good player, but only a small amount of time to learn (literally hours) about basic hockey strategy & positional responsibility. There is really no excuse for not learning that basic stuff, it's the quickest way to help the team. More competetive divisions can have a pretty broad range of skill vs. athletisicm, but they all 'know' how to play an organized game of hockey.
Truth.

Its funny on our team we have a Palestinian guy who played his first game ever a couple of days ago everything in between to a Slovak who used to play with Zdeno Chara whos just awesome to watch.

The Slovak guy is so smart when it comes to positioning and something i mentioned to the noob was the importance of positioning as a lot of the guys lack the basics.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Missionhockey

::RANT DISCLAIMER::

I'm tired of playing on teams with terrible defensemen and garbage goalies! I joined a team mid-way through the season and the defensemen are always caught by the other team cherry picking and our goalie couldn't stop a puck the size of a manhole. I'm a winger, which means defensively I am not as much of a factor. I offered to play defense but since I am one of the better skaters on the team they want me on offense, meanwhile our defensemen look like they are skating in mud while the other team flies by them.

::END RANT::

Old
11-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
$8000? Per?
Per team.

Sounds like I'm getting moved back to wing from defense, which should help our goals for and against dramatically. I am absolutely terrible on defense.

Last edited by Jarick: 11-28-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old
11-28-2012, 03:28 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Per team.

Sounds like I'm getting moved back to wing from defense, which should help our goals for and against dramatically. I am absolutely terrible on defense.
To be a good dman you have to be great without the puck. That gets lost on most players in rec leagues, when they don't have the puck on their stick they are useless. I started out playing defense and 19 years later I think it's the easiest out of the 5 positions because I can dictate where the guy with the puck is going to go. I put them wide, I put them on their back hand and if they try to put it between my skates I put them down. And if you can see plays developing you can cover guys before they get the puck denying outlet passes. It can be a lot of fun when you play with good players and it can be torture when you play with bad players who don't know the first thing about positioning. And the last key to being a good dman is you have to want to play defense. If you're heart is at playing forward you won't do the little stuff it takes to play good defense. In the end though it's rec league and you need to play where you want.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
And the last key to being a good dman is you have to want to play defense. If you're heart is at playing forward you won't do the little stuff it takes to play good defense. In the end though it's rec league and you need to play where you want.
That's my problem. I know what to do, but I keep wanting to rush the puck up and score goals, especially when we're getting killed and not scoring at all and giving up 7+ goals a night.

I miss getting 5-10 shots on goal each night and getting at least a goal every other game. Four games without any goals and -10 or whatever and I feel useless.

I joke that I play wing like Phil Kessel, using speed and taking wrist shots on the rush but being kind of lazy on the backcheck...but I also play defense like Phil Kessel too

Oh I did enjoy playing D for our summer team who had some really good forwards. It's fun to hit a guy who nobody on the other team sees for the breakaway or to cycle the puck and get shots from the point. But at our level...it's more like dump the puck and start skating backwards to defend the 3-on-1...

Old
11-28-2012, 05:34 PM
wondeROY

This isn't so much of a particular story as it is a collection of thoughts. I've noticed the further north (closer to CAN) you get, the more a55holes there are in beer leagues. I spent a few years in texas and played adult beer league there for about 2 years and never really had any real issues, maybe the biggest one was my dbag teammate who was a raging alcoholic.

Fast forward to about 2 years ago, I moved back home (Montana) and have had more dbags hack and slash and blatant trip me in 2 games then I had in 2 years playing in texas. And the skill level is about the same here, just apparently way more *******s. My first game back I nearly had my wrist broken by some fn idiot who was nowhere near the puck tried to stick lift me under the cuff of my glove. I can't believe how many idiots are in beer league up here. I've even had a couple of clowns try to get tough in a pick up game. Unbelievable. *** losers. Perhaps it's the redneck mentality here in Montana, there is def a lot of that, or perhaps is just there are too many drunks here.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
That's my problem. I know what to do, but I keep wanting to rush the puck up and score goals, especially when we're getting killed and not scoring at all and giving up 7+ goals a night.

I miss getting 5-10 shots on goal each night and getting at least a goal every other game. Four games without any goals and -10 or whatever and I feel useless.

I joke that I play wing like Phil Kessel, using speed and taking wrist shots on the rush but being kind of lazy on the backcheck...but I also play defense like Phil Kessel too

Oh I did enjoy playing D for our summer team who had some really good forwards. It's fun to hit a guy who nobody on the other team sees for the breakaway or to cycle the puck and get shots from the point. But at our level...it's more like dump the puck and start skating backwards to defend the 3-on-1...
Being switched to D has made me realize that I hate losing/giving up goals WAY more than I like scoring. I LOVE shooting (haven't scored a ton), but I would much rather stay out of the offensive zone and not give up easy breaks than get in the zone and score a few times, but also give up some easy breaks. I'd still prefer to play some wing, but my hatred for giving up goals takes over when I get put at D. I'm extremely competitive, but in a silent "what sould I have done better" way, not a yell and scream at my teammates way.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
To be a good dman you have to be great without the puck. That gets lost on most players in rec leagues, when they don't have the puck on their stick they are useless. I started out playing defense and 19 years later I think it's the easiest out of the 5 positions because I can dictate where the guy with the puck is going to go. I put them wide, I put them on their back hand and if they try to put it between my skates I put them down. And if you can see plays developing you can cover guys before they get the puck denying outlet passes. It can be a lot of fun when you play with good players and it can be torture when you play with bad players who don't know the first thing about positioning. And the last key to being a good dman is you have to want to play defense. If you're heart is at playing forward you won't do the little stuff it takes to play good defense. In the end though it's rec league and you need to play where you want.
This is so true. I started out as a forward but now predominantly play d in beer league and pickup. In beer league, it started as an emergency thing and just continued as one guy was always missing. I used to think that I contributed more as a forward because of my speed and motor, but learned to play the position because I saw it would be a growing need for my team.

In pickup, I started to practice or pay more attention to things like positioning and making a smart simple play in order to see how effective the various outcomes were. I almost always play d now because there is nothing worst than playing and not having any defenseman that can give a breakout pass. I've gotten to the point where I can actually see flow changes when I am on the ice versus when I am off and how the little things like shadowing to a certain area on the other teams breakouts or little smart plays in the defensive zone can really dictate the flow of the skate.

My skating is easily my best attribute and once I figured out how to effectively use my skating, the rest started to come really easy. I could take more risks and use speed to recover. I also started jumping into plays more and actually leading rushes while playing D because I could read plays better which helped me get a better feel for when to go and when to stay.

Of course, as you said, you have to want to do it. There was an adjustment period where if I gave up a goal or had a bad game, I didn't want to play D anymore. Now, I give my goalie a tap on the pads, tell him that was on me, and figure out how I'm going to help get that one back or to just be better the next shift. Then after that shift, I tell myself that I want to make the next shift better than that and so forth.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Being switched to D has made me realize that I hate losing/giving up goals WAY more than I like scoring. I LOVE shooting (haven't scored a ton), but I would much rather stay out of the offensive zone and not give up easy breaks than get in the zone and score a few times, but also give up some easy breaks. I'd still prefer to play some wing, but my hatred for giving up goals takes over when I get put at D. I'm extremely competitive, but in a silent "what sould I have done better" way, not a yell and scream at my teammates way.
So huge. I think one of the keys to succeeding in anything is having that exact attitude.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:06 PM
clefty
What?

- Guys who pay hundreds of dollars to sign up for a season, then show up for two of the 20 games. I mean, it's not my money I'm wasting I know, and yeah it's more ice time for me, but when you get a situation like I had recently when only 8 players show up, you're exhausted by the second period from all the double shifts you have had to take, you lose 8-2 and don't give a damn, it kind of takes the fun out of it.

- Wingers who think they need to collapse back down to the goal mouth when the other team has the puck, and hang around at the opposite blue line when we have the puck. As a defenseman, this makes me crazy. Every game I've got to tell a winger "get outta here, I got it" when we're in our own zone. Let me handle the front of the net and my corner, you worry about what's coming from up high. Then when I retrieve the puck from a dump in for example, they just cruise around up ice expecting me to hit them with a 130 foot pass. I've got two or three forecheckers on me, and no outlet.

I don't expect superstars out there, I'm an okay but not great player myself. I know some guys are relative newcomers or otherwise just don't skate a ton of icetime. But you gotta push out there, backcheck and skate as hard as you can. If you're tired and can't do that - change!

Old
11-28-2012, 07:56 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
- Wingers who think they need to collapse back down to the goal mouth when the other team has the puck, and hang around at the opposite blue line when we have the puck. As a defenseman, this makes me crazy. Every game I've got to tell a winger "get outta here, I got it" when we're in our own zone. Let me handle the front of the net and my corner, you worry about what's coming from up high. Then when I retrieve the puck from a dump in for example, they just cruise around up ice expecting me to hit them with a 130 foot pass. I've got two or three forecheckers on me, and no outlet.
Haha, as a winger I don't understand it either. As a forward I want to play on offense, so if someone tells me my defensive zone responsibility is to sit by the opposing dman so he can't receive a pass for a point shot? Well damn that sounds easy, why would I try to do anything else? Plus it lets me conserve energy for when we gain possession to go on the rush and forecheck.

Us wingers have it easy in our own zone, I really can't understand why some of us would want to complicate things and mess around in front of our own net. Yeah that's what NHL'ers tend to do but an astute observer may notice that they can skate fast enough to get back to the point & block the shot when necessary.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:17 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
- Guys who pay hundreds of dollars to sign up for a season, then show up for two of the 20 games. I mean, it's not my money I'm wasting I know, and yeah it's more ice time for me, but when you get a situation like I had recently when only 8 players show up, you're exhausted by the second period from all the double shifts you have had to take, you lose 8-2 and don't give a damn, it kind of takes the fun out of it.

I don't expect superstars out there, I'm an okay but not great player myself. I know some guys are relative newcomers or otherwise just don't skate a ton of icetime. But you gotta push out there, backcheck and skate as hard as you can. If you're tired and can't do that - change!
Oh I've got a few of these types on my team, come sit right on top of me in the slot, hey cover your guy not mine, or when you have an opposing player basically confined to a corner and he is just about to throw away the puck because you have closed the gap when all of a sudden one of my wingers flys by me to help me out and bang pass to the high slot and in the back of the net it goes. I also like when the forewards are flying up ice looking for a breakout pass and they are skating straight up ice away from me, I'm not Fing Joe Montana I cant lob a pass over your shoulder dumbass.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:36 PM
clefty
What?

Once I had a winger skating up ice, he had his back to me and was looking over his shoulder. He was smacking his stick on the ice and shouting for me to pass to him, I saw him, but passed somewhere else. On the bench he's like, "I was open!"

a) How would you know, you weren't even looking
b) I can't pass the puck up your ass
c) By not passing to you, I just saved you from a freaking concussion

Old
11-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Once I had a winger skating up ice, he had his back to me and was looking over his shoulder. He was smacking his stick on the ice and shouting for me to pass to him, I saw him, but passed somewhere else. On the bench he's like, "I was open!"

You could have tried, maybe he would've learned something.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I'd say maybe 15-20 percent of the goals against while I'm on the ice are my fault, but when you get shelled for 2-3 goals against each night and are MAYBE at fault for one of them, it's grating.

It'd be one thing if every time the goalie pulls the puck out of the net it's because I gave up a breakaway or a left my man open, but when the goalie's giving up unscreened wrist shots from the point or the forwards aren't picking up the extra man up high...well then I'm doing nothing on offense and not getting rewarded for playing okay on defense.

And that makes me tune out as a player. When it feels like it makes no difference what you do for the outcome of the game, I'm checked out mentally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Haha, as a winger I don't understand it either. As a forward I want to play on offense, so if someone tells me my defensive zone responsibility is to sit by the opposing dman so he can't receive a pass for a point shot? Well damn that sounds easy, why would I try to do anything else? Plus it lets me conserve energy for when we gain possession to go on the rush and forecheck.

Us wingers have it easy in our own zone, I really can't understand why some of us would want to complicate things and mess around in front of our own net. Yeah that's what NHL'ers tend to do but an astute observer may notice that they can skate fast enough to get back to the point & block the shot when necessary.
Exactly.

My job is to take away the point shot and deflect any puck that gets near there past the defenseman for a breakaway. So easy.

The usual complication is when one of our guys isn't doing his job picking up his guy or staying in position. Like when they get the puck behind the net and the strong side winger goes to the boards and our center or defenseman just stands in no man's land and lets him have it because I'm closer...but then I have to bail on my point man to go after him and that leaves him open, and then everyone gets pulled out of position.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:

We have a guy who literally does exactly that 4-5 times per game.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:23 AM
rinkrat22

Quote:

we must play with the same guys

when I tell a guy that IF he cuts across with his stick down on the ice giving me a target I'll get him the puck that I cant make a pass to his back side you would think I was speaking a different language.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:44 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:

Some guys need to learn the hard way what a suicide pass is. When I see that developing and I'm playing defense my eyes light up.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Skyking517

I am super frustrated of my team Captain who is just a fat overweight slob who can barely skate. He just glides around and doesn't do anything. Then yells at us if we miss a pass, I skate hard and am the goal leader on my team, we had a few 5 on 3 situations the other night, does he put me out on the power play?? Nope, puts a bunch of non skaters and non goal scorers, including himself. Grrrrrr

Rant over

Old
12-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Skyking517

Quote:
Some guys need to learn the hard way what a suicide pass is. When I see that developing and I'm playing defense my eyes light up.
Hey man I was raised in Yorba Linda. Played hockey as a child in Costa Mesa and then eventually Anaheim, went to Esperanza high school. Ohhhhhh how hockey has come so far in the Southland. Miss it!!

Old
12-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Trl3789

Quote:
I'd say maybe 15-20 percent of the goals against while I'm on the ice are my fault, but when you get shelled for 2-3 goals against each night and are MAYBE at fault for one of them, it's grating.

It'd be one thing if every time the goalie pulls the puck out of the net it's because I gave up a breakaway or a left my man open, but when the goalie's giving up unscreened wrist shots from the point or the forwards aren't picking up the extra man up high...well then I'm doing nothing on offense and not getting rewarded for playing okay on defense.

And that makes me tune out as a player. When it feels like it makes no difference what you do for the outcome of the game, I'm checked out mentally.
I understand what you're saying. I play at a really low level though, so usually when we get scored on, I probably did do something that contributed to the goal.

Old
12-02-2012, 01:43 PM
SaintMorose

vCash: 50
Been moving up divisions slowly with my beer league team and we're at a point now where we need to bring our a game to win. It's been much more fun knowing that each night is going to be close no matter how well you play (but if we play poorly we get shelled ).

One of the guys who plays with us really can't stick at the level... He's been subbing for parts of previous seasons and even then he really couldn't keep up; however, now that the team needs to be going 100% to win it's gotten much more frustrating.

The other side to it is he isn't hustling or working hard each shift he's skating with his head down, dragging his feet, taking LONG shifts (this really irks me), and just looks dis-interested (I don't know maybe he is). It's getting to a point where our captain is yelling at him from the bench trying to give him instruction and just getting increasingly frustrated.

Right now I'm trying to look for any little things he's doing right and point them out "hey great job moving the puck out of our zone" / "way to slow them down with a poke check". He's not the most socially involved with the locker room so I'm not sure anyone would be crushed to see him go; but at the same time he's a good guy and I can't name anyone who dislikes him.

So does there come a point when you tell a guy maybe this isn't a good fit; or is that always a jerk move in beer-leagues (cause having a good time comes first).

Closed Thread