HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Drouin & Monahan are LR's pick, what are yours?

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
If that's true Burke should be fired. Toronto is in Canada, and our society is not 1930's isolationist USofA. I don't believe Burke is that disgusting of a person, although who knows what his position would be on gays if it wasn't so personal, but he has shown some human decency.

The Leafs cannot afford to allow personal bigotry to impact the talent on the team. The team is a bad team, and allowing personal issues to negatively impact the team should be grounds for dismissal.
I don't think the bigotry is on a personal level, it's on a professional level. That prolly makes it excusable to some degree. Russian players come with some unfairly perceived baggage, ie KHL factor. It's not fair, but it's not something that nhl GM's can ignore as easily as us fans. Some GM's are more scared off than others, Burke happens to fall into that group, his drafting and trades would indicate so.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:52 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Can you tell me the last time Burke drafted a Russian? Has he even drafted one since the previous lockout?
You missed the point. There aren't very many Russians drafted in into the NHL.

TOTALS FOR ENTIRE DRAFT:

2009: 7 players
2010: 8 players
2011: 9 players
2012: 12 players

Chances are slim of any team drafting a Russian due to the limited quantity available, not necessarily a national prejudice.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:56 AM
dougieg93
flip for filip

Quote:
Can you tell me the last time Burke drafted a Russian? Has he even drafted one since the previous lockout?
Burke last drafted a Russian in 2003.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:57 AM
dougieg93
flip for filip

Who are the top goaltenders in the 2013 draft?

Old
11-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieg93 View Post
Burke last drafted a Russian in 2003.
Thank you.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post

TOTALS FOR ENTIRE DRAFT:

Chances are slim of any team drafting a Russian due to the limited quantity available, not necessarily a national prejudice.
I don't think I'm the one missing the point. It's not just the draft, our roster has less Russians than when he arrived. He also got rid of all the Russians on the Anaheim roster. It's just the way he rolls.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:20 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

Quote:
I don't think I'm the one missing the point. It's not just the draft, our roster has less Russians than when he arrived. He also got rid of all the Russians on the Anaheim roster. It's just the way he rolls.
You're clearly missing the point.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Thank you.
Sergei Topol # 252 overall is the last player Burke drafted, basically a throw away pick. Never played in the NHL.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
You're clearly missing the point.
I got his point.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:43 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
33% of our top 6, aka scoring lines, are Russian. That is more then many teams can say

Old
11-28-2012, 10:52 AM
leafers

Quote:
The point is that its not only Burke that's staying away from russian, its more or less league wide.
And why does it matter how many Russians the leafs had prior to Burke? If his intentions were to gut the russians then grabo(i know, he's belarussian) and kulie would have been gone.

Also, why even question the moves he made in anaheim when it led them to a cup?

Old
11-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
33% of our top 6, aka scoring lines, are Russian. That is more then many teams can say
One drafted by a fired JFJ, another acquired via trade by a retired GM. None are of Burke's doing.

When you look at the turnover Burke has done to the roster inherited, the odds that these 2 Russian players being moved are greater than nothing happening. Losing roster rarely stay intact, do you now agree?

Old
11-28-2012, 10:55 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
One drafted by a fired JFJ, another acquired via trade by a retired GM. None are of Burke's doing.

When you look at the turnover Burke has done to the roster inherited, the odds that these 2 Russian players being moved are greater than nothing happening. Losing roster rarely stay intact, do you now agree?
Burke, himself, has resigned both players. If the odds were they were to be moved, or he would rather not employ Russian-born players, would it not have been smart to trade them at the deadline for North American draft prospects?

Old
11-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Burke, himself, has resigned both players. If the odds were they were to be moved, or he would rather not employ Russian-born players, would it not have been smart to trade them at the deadline for North American draft prospects?
Resigning players means they are not tradable? Obcourse they are.

Even with no trade clauses Burke was able to deal Kaberle. A modified NT is easily movable.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:30 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Well I don't know what else you need as proof to know he prefers a certain playing style, the man isn't a racist, no one is saying this, certainly I am not.

But he likes Canadian style hockey players, one can say he likes Swedish and Finnish style players. We know he likes American style players which are basically let's say a North American style. But he steers away from the Russian Stereotypical player.

Now I asked the question will he break that streak if a hybrid Russian/North American Nichushkin is available this year? I think it is likely.

This has more to do with styles than passports. Russian players can be enigmatic and very individualistic.

As for your assertion of Kule and Grabo, he inherited them. He never traded or drafted them. So I don't know what your point proves, except I will say don't be surprised if he moves them one day. I almost expect it. Infact I do expect this either sometime this year or next.
Totally agree with Canadian "Style" players. I don't disagree that Russians tend to be individualistic either. I've always said he focus on style and the player, not the nationality itself.

And my point was this. We know for a fact that he could have moved Grabovski at the deadline for picks (including a first rounder) but chose instead to resign him. That is him choosing to keep him. Same thing with Kulemin. He had the opportunity to trade him for Carter, a player that would have fit the need for a center and fit into the "style of play" everyone talks about. He didn't trade him. You would think that for a guy that doesn't like Russians, he'd jump at either oppurtunity?

I actually don't' expect either to be traded anytime soon. They both fit into his playing style that he prefers, even if they are Russian. They are both hard working players with talent. And Burke loves those types of players. Russian or not.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:40 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
A couple things FinnishK:

1) Holding Russian citizenship and having a name like Barkov will make you Russian in Burke's eyes. Where was he born again?

2) So when did Burke last draft a Russian? It appears approx 10 years ago. You don't consider that a discernable pattern?
1) Finland. Komorov is in the same situation. Born and raised in Finland. Russian name, Russian citizenship (dual) and Burke loves him. I find it hard to believe a simple last name is going to turn Burke off on a player. Suggesting so is...retarded.

2) Not at all. If you read the post at all, you would have seen that Russians haven't exactly been taken in high number recently. Not all that difficult to draw a conclusion.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:43 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:

TOTALS FOR ENTIRE DRAFT:

He's not going to listen. Don't bother.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:43 AM
scottcwheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Technically, I believe Columbus gets LA's ball and the Rangers ball, which would give them a total of 5 balls.
That being said, I think they get MacKinnon. I personally think we should trade with Columbus if one of their 3 picks ends up in the middle of the first round for Max Domi. Kind of a no brainer.
That's correct. The Nash and Carter trades would give Columbus LA's and New York's balls and a 10% chance at 1st overall.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:44 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:

By the head of scouting that we still currently employ...

And both resigned by Burke, and having praise heaped upon them by Burke...

Do you too think that Burke wouldn't draft Barkov because of his last name?

Old
11-28-2012, 11:53 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

I'm bored of this "Burke does or doesn't like" talk, so let's move onto something else.

So let's say we don't get a top 5 pick, and we place in one of the following spots. Who do you take?

9th?

12th-15th?

21st-24th?

28th-30th?

Who do you take in the 2nd round if we are early, mid or late ranked?

Old
11-28-2012, 12:12 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Are you people really arguing Burke wouldn't draft Barkov if he was BPA at our pick? LOL. You really think where they're born should play a role in whether they can help your team or not? Hilarious.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:53 PM
scottcwheeler

Just to clear a few things up. We've had some great feedback on the articles and we've also had some who seem to dismiss us (partially because we're new and partially because they claim we're hungry for views). The WeWantACup account (Matteo Codispoti) is attempting to generate discussion through the articles and while we're new (just figuring out HFBoards, myself), I'm all for debating and talking hockey and I challenge each and every one of you to both read and push my articles.

So with that. Let's talk and to respond to the "who'd you pick where comment", here's my early rankings of this years class:

1. Nathan MacKinnon - C
2. Seth Jones - D
3. Sean Monahan - C
4. Aleksander Barkov - C
5. Jonathan Drouin - C
6. Hunter Shinkaruk - C
7. Elias Lindholm – C
8. Curtis Lazar - C
9. Darnell Nurse - D
10. Ryan Pulock - D
11. Rasmus Ristolainen - D
12. Valeri Nichushkin - LW
13. Andre Burakovsky - RW
14. Joshua Morrissey - D
15. Nikita Zadorov - D
16. Max Domi - C
17. Arturri Lehkonen - LW
18. Zachary Fucale - G
19. Kerby Rychel - LW
20. Adam Erne - LW

Ten more to watch : Ryan Kujawinski, Bo Horvat, JT Compher, Jacob de la Rose, Robert Hagg, Shea Theodore, Spencer Martin, Fredrick Gauthier, Hunter Garlent, Anthony Duclair.

Who would you guys place differently? Feel free to ask me about any of the prospects (been watching the OHL players since their Minor Midget AAA years)?

Old
11-28-2012, 12:56 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I'm bored of this "Burke does or doesn't like" talk, so let's move onto something else.

So let's say we don't get a top 5 pick, and we place in one of the following spots. Who do you take?

9th? Nichushkin if he is available.

12th-15th? Domi

21st-24th? Kujawinski

28th-30th? Fucale/whatever goalie is available.
My answers above.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:56 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Where do you see Hunter Garlent going? Old friend of mine, went to grade school together. He's a good kid.

Also, Barkov should be at #2, with Jones at 3 and Monahan 4. Drouin at 5 is okay, but Lindholm should be at 6 with Shinkaruk at 7. Just my opinion.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:07 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcwheeler View Post
Just to clear a few things up. We've had some great feedback on the articles and we've also had some who seem to dismiss us (partially because we're new and partially because they claim we're hungry for views). The WeWantACup account (Matteo Codispoti) is attempting to generate discussion through the articles and while we're new (just figuring out HFBoards, myself), I'm all for debating and talking hockey and I challenge each and every one of you to both read and push my articles.

So with that. Let's talk and to respond to the "who'd you pick where comment", here's my early rankings of this years class:

1. Nathan MacKinnon - C
2. Seth Jones - D
3. Sean Monahan - C
4. Aleksander Barkov - C
5. Jonathan Drouin - C
6. Hunter Shinkaruk - C
7. Elias Lindholm – C
8. Curtis Lazar - C
9. Darnell Nurse - D
10. Ryan Pulock - D
11. Rasmus Ristolainen - D
12. Valeri Nichushkin - LW
13. Andre Burakovsky - RW
14. Joshua Morrissey - D
15. Nikita Zadorov - D
16. Max Domi - C
17. Arturri Lehkonen - LW
18. Zachary Fucale - G
19. Kerby Rychel - LW
20. Adam Erne - LW

Ten more to watch : Ryan Kujawinski, Bo Horvat, JT Compher, Jacob de la Rose, Robert Hagg, Shea Theodore, Spencer Martin, Fredrick Gauthier, Hunter Garlent, Anthony Duclair.

Who would you guys place differently? Feel free to ask me about any of the prospects (been watching the OHL players since their Minor Midget AAA years)?
Barkov is better than Monahan and possibly Jones imo. Nichushkin should be higher if this were based on talent alone, but the Russian factor comes into play. Pulock should be higher than Nurse.

Good list though.

Closed Thread