HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kristo wanting to join Habs next season

Old
11-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Habs_46

vCash: 500
Kristo wanting to join Habs next season

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/351989.html

Habs_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:40 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_46 View Post
Me too!

His chances are only slightly better than mine, though.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:43 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

An often overlooked yet solid prospect. He could become a good top9 player for us.

Doubt he'll be in the NHL next season but failing that he's going to be an important member of the Bulldogs.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Bullsmith

I'm sure hoping he does. He's a high-upside prospect.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:07 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I think he'll sign, but doesn't he become a free agent if not signed by June, just like Justin Schultz?

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I think he'll sign, but doesn't he become a free agent if not signed by June, just like Justin Schultz?
I believe that loophole is only valid for Juniors. Kristo is a Senior this year.

Not 100% sure.

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
He the option to go UFA if he wants to, although he can also sign with us before that happens. He can't really make any extra money if the entry-level restrictions remain in place, but he can sign on elsewhere if he wants to. I'm sure he'd find takers.

Really though, there are good reasons to sign with the org that drafted him. Not compelling ones, but it'd be better for his rep at a minimum. Since he's saying he intends to sign with Montreal, I'll take him at his word and keep my fingers crossed.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:22 AM
FF de Mars

The title is misleading. Kristo says that he probably will be a Bulldog but that he's gonna try to make the team anyway. However, Shultz also said that he wanted to sign with Anaheim until he became a ufa...

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:39 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Kristo can't become a UFA. He has no loophole.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:31 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
No he doesn't become a UFA in June, that loophole closed. Mac Bennett can do so at the end of this season, he has to tell the Habs before June 1st, if he wishes to opt out. But that's if the lockout ends and the loop isn't closed or grandfathered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
I believe that loophole is only valid for Juniors. Kristo is a Senior this year.

Not 100% sure.
That's correct, but only for Juniors that did not play in the NCAA right away after being drafted by an NHL team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
He the option to go UFA if he wants to, although he can also sign with us before that happens. He can't really make any extra money if the entry-level restrictions remain in place, but he can sign on elsewhere if he wants to. I'm sure he'd find takers.

Really though, there are good reasons to sign with the org that drafted him. Not compelling ones, but it'd be better for his rep at a minimum. Since he's saying he intends to sign with Montreal, I'll take him at his word and keep my fingers crossed.
He had the option but it passed last June 1st. The only NHL team he can sign with is the Habs, now the Habs could opt not to sign him and he would become a UFA.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:44 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
No he doesn't become a UFA in June, that loophole closed. Mac Bennett can do so at the end of this season, he has to tell the Habs before June 1st, if he wishes to opt out. But that's if the lockout ends and the loop isn't closed or grandfathered.

That's correct, but only for Juniors that did not play in the NCAA right away after being drafted by an NHL team.

He had the option but it passed last June 1st. The only NHL team he can sign with is the Habs, now the Habs could opt not to sign him and he would become a UFA.
I understand that Kristo can't use the loophole, but what happened with Fischer? How did he become a UFA after his college carreer?

The Habs received a 2nd round pick in compensaton for him because he refused to sign with them when they offered him a contract. Could a senior just refused to sign with the team that drafted him and become UFA?

Last edited by bcv: 11-28-2012 at 12:59 PM.
bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Montreal4Life

vCash: 3978
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I understand that Kristo can't use the loophole, but what happened with Fischer? How did he become a UFA after his college carreer?
We didnt want to sign him lol

Montreal4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Bust, literally.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:58 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal4Life View Post
We didnt want to sign him lol
The Habs received at 2nd round pick in compensation for him because they offered him a contract...

Old
11-28-2012, 01:05 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
The Habs received at 2nd round pick in compensation for him because they offered him a contract...
That's a technicality. From what I understand, they offer you a contract right off of being drafted for the sole purpose of being able to claim the consolation 2nd rounder if you completely bust.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Its honestly all in all great News either Way seeing As how him Wanting to go back To ND Kind of worried Alot of people but it looks like he really just Wanted to Finish his Schooling and have another shot at the National championship instead OF being up to Something else

Its great To see he has his mind Set ON becoming Pro For us Next year after all

just Keep on dominating this year bud

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:03 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

Hes gonna need at least 1 year in the AHL.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:06 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

The Habs received a 2nd round pick in compensaton for him because he refused to sign with them when they offered him a contract. Could a senior just refused to sign with the team that drafted him and become UFA?
Fischer and Kristo were in totally different boats. Fischer wasn't signed by the Habs so they gave up his rights. Fischer is in the same boat as current NCAA draft picks, Walsh, Didier, Cichy. Kristo is in the same boat as Bennett, MacMillan and Sullivan.

When you draft a player out of the NCAA, one of two things happen. One is that said player goes to the NCAA right after being drafted. The other is that said player does not go to the NCAA right away.

If said player goes to the NCAA right away, there is no loop hole and said player can only sign with the NHL team that drafted them. The NHL team has to sign the player after he completes his 4th season (unless redshirted which is an injury exemption). In the case of Fischer the Habs opted not to sign him since they would get the 50th overall in place of signing him since he was a 1st round draft pick.

If said player doesn't go to the NCAA right away, and plays in another league the following season after being drafted (like the USHL, BCHL, USHS, etc..) then after his junior year he can opt out of signing with the NHL team that drafted him. To do so he must inform the school he won't be returning and he has to let the NHL team that drafted him know of his intentions before June 1st. If said player opts NOT to become a UFA, then the loop hole is forever closed and said player would be treated just like the group that went directly to the NCAA.

I haven't heard a single word on the future of this loophole. Got to think the Ducks are none to happy with losing Schultz since he's ripping up the AHL after being a top D in the NCAA. Hopefully if the loophole isn't closed, guys like Bennett and MacMillan won't opt out.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:17 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Its honestly all in all great News either Way seeing As how him Wanting to go back To ND Kind of worried Alot of people but it looks like he really just Wanted to Finish his Schooling and have another shot at the National championship instead OF being up to Something else

Its great To see he has his mind Set ON becoming Pro For us Next year after all

just Keep on dominating this year bud
What's up with your shift key, brah?

Old
11-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
What's up with your shift key, brah?
lolcurrently at work at 1000 de la Gauchetiere promoting The New Samsung Tablet and using the New pen Feature. Its got a Few kinks I guess but im loving Writing all this With a pen Over Typing with 2 index Fingers lol
Cant Wait to go skating at the Rink when the Shifts over!

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:00 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Hes gonna need at least 1 year in the AHL.
He might not need a complete year. After all he's going to be 23 years old. Of course it would be surprising if we have a spot for him in the lineup with Galchenyuk and Leblanc well ahead of him and with Gallagher also close to the NHL.

Quote:
Shameless Advertising
I don't know, from your typing I'm not convinced it works that well

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:31 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
lolcurrently at work at 1000 de la Gauchetiere promoting The New Samsung Tablet and using the New pen Feature. Its got a Few kinks I guess but im loving Writing all this With a pen Over Typing with 2 index Fingers lol
Cant Wait to go skating at the Rink when the Shifts over!
Like literally writing with the pen? Or typing with the pen? Tell me more

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:20 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Fischer and Kristo were in totally different boats. Fischer wasn't signed by the Habs so they gave up his rights. Fischer is in the same boat as current NCAA draft picks, Walsh, Didier, Cichy. Kristo is in the same boat as Bennett, MacMillan and Sullivan.

When you draft a player out of the NCAA, one of two things happen. One is that said player goes to the NCAA right after being drafted. The other is that said player does not go to the NCAA right away.

If said player goes to the NCAA right away, there is no loop hole and said player can only sign with the NHL team that drafted them. The NHL team has to sign the player after he completes his 4th season (unless redshirted which is an injury exemption). In the case of Fischer the Habs opted not to sign him since they would get the 50th overall in place of signing him since he was a 1st round draft pick.

If said player doesn't go to the NCAA right away, and plays in another league the following season after being drafted (like the USHL, BCHL, USHS, etc..) then after his junior year he can opt out of signing with the NHL team that drafted him. To do so he must inform the school he won't be returning and he has to let the NHL team that drafted him know of his intentions before June 1st. If said player opts NOT to become a UFA, then the loop hole is forever closed and said player would be treated just like the group that went directly to the NCAA.

I haven't heard a single word on the future of this loophole. Got to think the Ducks are none to happy with losing Schultz since he's ripping up the AHL after being a top D in the NCAA. Hopefully if the loophole isn't closed, guys like Bennett and MacMillan won't opt out.
Ahh! Thanks a lot Montreal!

Old
11-28-2012, 05:59 PM
PricePkPatch

I really don't think Kristo can break it into the NHL next year. I mean, barring a miracle, he still need to eat a few crusts in Hamilton.

People often forget; the NHL is a marathon. 82 games is a huge effort, and one need to know how to pace oneself or one risks running out of gas in the last months and the playoffs.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Won't happen... he's still playing in the NCAA ffs.

Plus he's a bust.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote