HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Haggerty: Jacobs should be held responsible

Old
11-28-2012, 11:33 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500

I feel that this guy really deserves his own thread.

I have to admit, I was only vaguely familiar with him before the lockout - and only really knew about him in terms of NHL labour relations.

Reading some of the posts on this board, it seems like over the years he's screwed his own team on a number of occasions - although, I assume he's not as bad as Ballard - or even Wirtz were.

Today, Joe Haggerty discusses his role in the lockout (as well as the one in 04/05):

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-b...91&feedID=3352

I thought this was charming:

Quote:
Here’s a story illustrating the self-interested, tyrannical leadership at play on the NHL’s side:

Winnipeg Jets representation at a recent NHL Board of Governors meeting piped up to say it was opposed to engaging in a long, bloody lockout sure to stymie their franchise’s momentum and hurt the game of hockey.

It wasn’t Winnipeg owner Mark Chipman, but rather one of the alternate governors representing the Jets.

Bruins Principal Owner and Chairman of the Board of Governors Jeremy Jacobs answered by reprimanding the Winnipeg representative as one of the “new kids on the block” and informed him that he would know when he was allowed to speak in the NHL board room.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:35 AM
mikelvl

vCash: 487
Just read this on the Boston board. He is the cause. Why doesn't anyone see that?! So long as he is in charge, this will never end.

mikelvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I thought this was charming:
Pretty typical behaviour Im afraid. Alpha Male dynamic going on
there. And ya, most deserving of his own thread is Jeremy Jacobs.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
The more I learn of Jacobs the less I like him.

11-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
The more I learn of Jacobs the less I like him.
Then avert thine eyes Cheesesteak.
This is going to get ugly. JJInvictus.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Guy has always been disliked by fans. He has always been a hard liner on salaries. No surprises here for me.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

As an Oilers fan, I respect the Bruins and like this team (cheered for them I the 2011 Finals against the Nucks! ), but man, the owner is the biggest piece of **** ever.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:13 PM
PJ StockBB

I'm actually glad people outside of Boston are starting to see how big of a piece of **** this guy is. he is a ******* who doesn't care at all about hockey.

the guy has turned so many people in Boston off to the NHL it is disheartening. so many old Bruins fans still wont pay attention to the Bruins because of this guy and the way he has handled the team in the past. i gave him a little respect for spending money since the cap was put in place and finally bringing a championship team to Boston. but after reading more and more about his role in this lockout he can go **** himself again

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Bruins Principal Owner and Chairman of the Board of Governors Jeremy Jacobs answered by reprimanding the Winnipeg representative as one of the “new kids on the block” and informed him that he would know when he was allowed to speak in the NHL board room.

That’s the kind of hawkish, dismissive, bully mentality that's driving the bus for the NHL lockout that's now cancelled games through the middle of December.
Here I thought that they just couldn't speak publicly or risk $1 million in fines. Maybe it's time they all spoke up.

You know, I've heard about Jacobs attitude for years now, but it still doesn't make sense that a majority of owners would just sit there and follow along like sheep. They each have a vote. Now getting on the BOG agenda is another thing. The Exec Committee meets with Gary and Gary sets up what they will discuss. From another report, we learned that Bettman basically does a Powerpoint presentation and that there is no 'discussion.' Odd.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:41 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
the guy is bad for hockey. hell he is bad for sports period. guys like this should never own sports franchises.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Nothing new under the sun. In 1995, after 100+ days of lockout the owners forced the PA to capitulate. Press universal in saying it was a KO on the Players. Trevor Linden said "we're getting *****"... Boston had voted against the deal with 6 other teams...

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 11-28-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Fishhead

It just shows what kind of individual he is as a person.

Winnipeg is new to the game and obviously won't have the kind of experience dealing with this kind of thing that most of the owners do, sure. Their stance as a franchise, though, still holds weight as they are as much a part of this mess as any other owner.

But even if his statement has a bit of merit, vocalizing it in such a demeaning, jerkface way has no place among professionals. These are the kinds of people I don't take seriously. If you can't keep your emotions in check and feel the need to demean others when you speak, I could really care less what you have to say.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Number8

Fortunately and unfortunately Boston/New England has the very best and the very worst when it comes to ownership.

Bob Kraft is the epitome of class and understands what an important piece of the community a professional team represents. He's a smart businessman but somehow doesn't feel the need to squeeze every last nickel out of the equation. When labor disputes arise in the NFL, expect Bob Kraft to be a part of the solution not the problem. Kraft appears to be universally liked and respected by the Patriot players. The fans certainly like him.

Jeremy Jacobs? The polar opposite of Bob Kraft in just about every imaginable way.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:53 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
JMO, but this is all about revenue sharing and the Bruins bottom line.

Sometime in the recent past Bettman told the owners that the revenue sharing pool was going to be enlarged. So Jacobs said fine, you want me to contribute more money to revenue sharing, then I'm talking that amount out of the players hides.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:18 PM
moosehead81

If the story's true, he wouldn't talk that way to either Mark Chipman or David Thompson. Thompson could buy everything Jacobs owns and still have about $15 billion left over.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:26 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
If the story's true, he wouldn't talk that way to either Mark Chipman or David Thompson. Thompson could buy everything Jacobs owns and still have about $15 billion left over.
A number of NHL owners have a greater net worth than Jacobs.

Thomson, Anschutz, Pegula, and Kroenke to name a few.

I doubt anyone that rich would allow themselves to be pushed around and disrespected by Jacobs in that way.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Help me out here guys and girls. Regardless of how big of a ****** Jacobs is, how can one owner hold up this entire process?

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Kloparren
Hth

If this is true then Bettman is to blame more for being unable to give power to a majority and letting a smaller number have greater influence.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:37 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Help me out here guys and girls. Regardless of how big of a ****** Jacobs is, how can one owner hold up this entire process?
He's the chairman of the Board of Governors

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:39 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
When that owner is the CEO of the Board of Govenors

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
If the story's true, he wouldn't talk that way to either Mark Chipman or David Thompson.
Yet according to anecdotal reports thats exactly what he did do moose, and Im not in the least bit surprised. The size of your bank account though important enough doesnt trump Length of Tenure, years of building a powerbase, influence. A guy like Jacobs' would tell any new kid on the block to zip it, this is how it works, Im in charge around here, be it Thompson or whomever else. He appears to be engaged a game of playing guys like Snider, Lieweke, Karmanos, Dolan, Tennebaum & Burke out of Toronto, Chicago & Detroit etc against the middle and bottom, ignoring altogether the Vancouvers', Montreal's & San Jose's of the world. Owners & Governor designates afraid to rock the boat for fear of being left off of special committee's, and then when appointed told to take a back seat, keep quiet, enjoy the scenery. Heres a colouring book. Your just here for window dressing. Very strange dynamic going on.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Jacobs often refused to spend the big money other clubs would on player contracts pre-2004 lockout because he thought them outlandish which contributed to the Bruins mediocrity in the 80's and 90's, and because of that many Bruins fans had issue with him (myself included). He wanted a hard cap, it was no secret. It got to the point where Bruins fans responded in kind and stopped dropping all their money on the Bruins and instead watching teams like the Sox, Celtics and Pats.

The funny part however is that during that time when he built up all that hatred he personified exactly the quality many who choose to blame the owners suggested they should have. He was frugal, and he was stubborn about it to the point where it likely cost the Bruins many competitive seasons.

How often have we seen someone comment during this lockout that if the owners didn't like how much money the players were making they never should have signed them to those high contracts in the first place. Here's Exhibit A.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:49 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
It does beg the question if he's such a jerk then why do the owners vote Jacobs in as Chairman? The position is voted on by the owners every 2 years. If I understand it right he was first elected in 2007, then re-elected in 2009 and 2011.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
He sits on the Executive Committee and is the Chairman of the BOG and that committee. He's also on the committee that approves future owners and franchise sales. It may really be that too much power is concentrated in the hands of the same group of owners.

As I mentioned above, whenever there is any issue that will be put before the full BOG for a vote, the Exec Committee reviews it with Bettman in a morning session, then the full BOG meets in the afternoon and gets to vote Y/N for the question as presented.

Stern apparently also runs a very tight control over the agenda put in front of the BOG in the NBA. If it's not the agenda, it's not discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
If this is true then Bettman is to blame more for being unable to give power to a majority and letting a smaller number have greater influence.
It's easier for him though. He only has to get the smaller group that controls things on his side, not cater to all 30 of his constituents.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
It does beg the question if he's such a jerk then why do the owners vote Jacobs in as Chairman? The position is voted on by the owners every 2 years.

Do you know how that vote is handled, and if anyone can run or if that group is also vetted somehow?