Old
11-28-2012, 01:47 PM
PaperRockChamp

vCash: 50
Jacobs shuts up Jets mgmt rep

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-b...91&feedID=3352

snip...

Quote:
Here’s a story illustrating the self-interested, tyrannical leadership at play on the NHL’s side:

Winnipeg Jets representation at a recent NHL Board of Governors meeting piped up to say it was opposed to engaging in a long, bloody lockout sure to stymie their franchise’s momentum and hurt the game of hockey.

It wasn’t Winnipeg owner Mark Chipman, but rather one of the alternate governors representing the Jets.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:54 PM
PaperRockChamp

Just saw this on the main board, too.. Not sure if should be moved/deleted/or whatever.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Bruins Principal Owner and Chairman of the Board of Governors Jeremy Jacobs answered by reprimanding the Winnipeg representative as one of the “new kids on the block” and informed him that he would know when he was allowed to speak in the NHL board room.
This is what bullies grow up into.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Blame Boston!

rabblerabblrabble

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:07 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
This is what bullies grow up into.
Would love to have seen Jacobs say that to David Thomsons face or even Mark Chipmans, but of course that never would have happened.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Would love to have seen Jacobs say that to David Thomsons face or even Mark Chipmans, but of course that never would have happened.
Does Thompson even sit in on the board meetings? To me he seems more like a silent partner.

Don't kid yourself, Jacobs would have definitely said that to Chipman. He doesn't hide his feelings at all when it comes to money. He's a loud mouthed and shrewd businessman.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:13 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Does Thompson even sit in on the board meetings? To me he seems more like a silent partner.

Don't kid yourself, Jacobs would have definitely said that to Chipman. He doesn't hide his feelings at all when it comes to money. He's a loud mouthed and shrewd businessman.
Thomson is completely hands off and is simply a business partner. Chipman is the chairman of the team. You won't find Thomson's name listed anywhere on the Winnipeg Jets employees list on their website. The only mention of him in the media guide is under Chipmans bio as the buisness partner who bought the Atlanta Thrashers.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

The latest.

Quote:
gary lawless ‏@garylawless
Bill Daly and a team source tell me Jacobs-Jets rep incident never happened #NHLJets #bn

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:54 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
The latest.
That settles it then. More needless hyperbole by a sports writer desparate for hots.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:10 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Allan Walsh is really jumping all over this.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Le Golie

The reporter is well known and well respected and he backs his story. I do not believe Bill Daly.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:04 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
The reporter is well known and well respected and he backs his story. I do not believe Bill Daly.
I'm more inclined to believe a reporter than anything the NHL says.

Shows the image problem the NHL has.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
That settles it then. More needless hyperbole by a sports writer desparate for hots.
Doesn't directly matter to the sports writer how many hits a story gets, so I don't see why he'd be "desperate."

Besides, of course the league and the Jets will deny it. Their number one PR priority is making it appear as if there are no cracks in their own organization. Why on earth would they do anything except deny it?

The reporter is pretty clear he stands by his reporting. Obviously it may or may not be exact, but I don't doubt that the substance of it is accurate.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:12 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
The latest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
C'mon you guys, let's not jump all over this garbage and hang the 'scapegoat de jour' just because some bozo reporter decides to stir the pot.
First of all, I have no doubt that Chipman can hold his own with Jacobs and the old-fart owners, much more so than the player reps can with Fehr. He (MC) is soft-spoken but very smart and calculating.
Secondly, Jacobs' team isn't that big a contributor to league profits--TO, NYR and MTL do most of the heavy lifting. According to Forbes, the Bruins did not make much more of an operating profit than the Jets last year...so Jacobs does not hold that much financial clout. In any case, the Bruins organization seems to know how to win Stanley Cups, so I'm giving the old man the benefit of the doubt.
Thirdly, the Jets are amongst the least likely teams in the NHL to be adversely affected by this lockout. They have a rabid fan base and guaranteed sellouts for the next 4 years; by then this will all be ancient history. So the quote attribited to our unnamed substitute governor makes no sense.
Finally, IMO we should not lose sight of the main objective here: building a financially stable, winning organization in Wpg. For the league and for the Jets, that may mean standing firm for a while longer.
Don't believe everything you read.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:17 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
This lockout is 100% about helping the big market teams make more money. The "half the teams are losing money" argument is simply so they can lower player costs for themselves while still bringing in record revenues. The small market teams for the most part won't be any more competitive with a slightly lowered cap - only revenue sharing would fix that and we're not hearing any talk of significantly expanding it.

Whether or not the rumoured event transpired is meaningless. We already know a few owners are running the table.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
C'mon you guys, let's not jump all over this garbage and hang the 'scapegoat de jour' just because some bozo reporter decides to stir the pot.
First of all, I have no doubt that Chipman can hold his own with Jacobs and the old-fart owners, much more so than the player reps can with Fehr. He (MC) is soft-spoken but very smart and calculating.
Secondly, Jacobs' team isn't that big a contributor to league profits--TO, NYR and MTL do most of the heavy lifting. According to Forbes, the Bruins did not make much more of an operating profit than the Jets last year...so Jacobs does not hold that much financial clout. In any case, the Bruins organization seems to know how to win Stanley Cups, so I'm giving the old man the benefit of the doubt.
Thirdly, the Jets are amongst the least likely teams in the NHL to be adversely affected by this lockout. They have a rabid fan base and guaranteed sellouts for the next 4 years; by then this will all be ancient history. So the quote attribited to our unnamed substitute governor makes no sense.
Finally, IMO we should not lose sight of the main objective here: building a financially stable, winning organization in Wpg. For the league and for the Jets, that may mean standing firm for a while longer.
I can decide for myself who to believe, thanks. In evaluating the credibility of the source and the credibility of the rebuttal, combined with the well-known nature of the character involved, plus a little bit of back story on the culture at the NHL BOG level, I chose to believe the reporter.

And why do you act like Jacobs' behaviour reflects poorly on the Jets? It reflects poorly on himself and the entire NHL BOG. Hence the strong denial by the sock puppet.

No need to be defensive.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I would not be shocked if the report was true.

It's like hazing before you join a fraternity.

Still unacceptable.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Just so you know, Jacobs charges his own team (the Bruins) rent at the TD Gardens. He does it through his parent company Delaware North. He and Snider are the longest tenured owners in the NHL. He was elected to chair the executive committee by the other owners for a reason. That reason is he knows how to expunge and hide money like no other owner. He's pretty much the reason that HRR is so disguised by the owners. To believe he makes barely more than the Jets did last year is fooling yourself. If you get a chance read up on his family history, the shadiness of them is straight out of the Godfather series, lol. BTW I'm not pumping his tires or even like him, but I understand exactly how he's gotten to where he has and it's from being shrewd and malicious. From a business perspective I respect him, on an ethical/moral level not a chance.

Last edited by Paradise: 11-28-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old
11-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
He's well known yes, the respected is another story. He's known for liking the spotlight a little too much for most Boston fans liking.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Shaun
beauty

The guy who wrote the story is a hack I doubt this actually happened.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:22 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Wouldnt surprise me if it did happen
And what is daly and the nhl supposed to say
Yes it did happen

More ownership leverage lost as it shows the owners cracking

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:24 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
This lockout is 100% about helping the big market teams make more money. The "half the teams are losing money" argument is simply so they can lower player costs for themselves while still bringing in record revenues. The small market teams for the most part won't be any more competitive with a slightly lowered cap - only revenue sharing would fix that and we're not hearing any talk of significantly expanding it.

Whether or not the rumoured event transpired is meaningless. We already know a few owners are running the table.
The reason you dont hear anything about it is because that is one of the few issues that both sides agree on. The NHL has agreed to increase revenue sharing from $150 to $220 million per year. They have also redefined the criteria so that more teams are eligable to receive it.

With regards to the comment it may have indeed happened, but its not the be all end all. I have no doubt that hands on owners like Chipman and Geoff Molson etc will work their way up the leadership ranks of the BOG in due time. When that happens we may finally see a league that is willing to work with the players instead of against them and vis versa.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Look, the writer literally prefaces it with "Here's a story..." - not "a source informed me" or anything. He's basically admitting it's BS right there. A credible journalist wouldn't report facts or even hearsay like that.

And now the Jets and Bill Daly have gone on record saying it never happened.

But maybe it's more credible to believe that this is how billionaire businessmen talk to each other at NHL BoG meetings...?

Here's a story: Gary Bettman opens and closes every NHL BoG meeting with the ritual sacrifice of an orphan.

See? Easy!

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Just so you know, Jacobs charges his own team (the Bruins) rent at the TD Gardens. He does it through his parent company Delaware North. He and Snider are the longest tenured owners in the NHL. He was elected to chair the executive committee by the other owners for a reason. That reason is he knows how to expunge and hide money like no other owner. He's pretty much the reason that HRR is so disguised by the owners. To believe he makes barely more than the Jets did last year is fooling yourself. If you get a chance read up on his family history, the shadiness of them is straight out of the Godfather series, lol. BTW I'm not pumping his tires or even like him, but I understand exactly how he's gotten to where he has and it's from being shrewd and malicious. From a business perspective I respect him, on an ethical/moral level not a chance.
I appreciate the perspective. It does seem unlikely that such a successful big market team would make so little profit and ,no doubt, Jacobs is creative with the books.
On your suggestion, I googled Jeremy Jacobs. I love the Godfather reference, but, I gotta tell you, from what i read, he is one smart, successful, accomplished and philanthropic man. His bio reminds me a bit of Izzy Asper, who was an absolute bear as a businessman, but one of the most creative and philanthropic men in the history of this province. I would encourage people to actually research this and make up their own minds.

I don't mean to come across as an apologist for the owners. I just happen to think it is simplistic and damaging to the players' cause to villiify them.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

I don't believe it because it doesn't make sense. You'd think True North would be on side with everything the NHL is doing to help low and mid-tier teams remain profitable.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote