HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC on Fox: Henderson vs Diaz

Old
11-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Gustafsson must deserve a title shot if he gets by Shogun.
With a win he'd certainly be right up there but a lot is riding on the Machinda/Hendo fight. If Hendo wins he'll get the next shot. If Machida finishes Hendo, he could get a re-match. I wouldn't mind seeing Gustafsson fight Texeira should Glover get passed Rampage for the next #1 cotender fight. Jones' isn't fighting until April and then after that likely wont fight again until sometime between July-Sept at the earliest so even with a win, Gustaffson is likely looking at least one more fight.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Peter Griffin

What BJ should be doing is taking all of this motivation and applying it to making a run in the division he's actually had sustained success in, especially now that Edgar is currently out of the picture. Instead he's trying to get back at GSP in some way by beating up his protege. I hope he get's beat down again and realizes he's not a Welterweight.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:54 PM
m9

I like how people are so eager to give Gustafsson a title shot but scoff at Phil Davis getting one. Davis took him to school, and with a win over Griffin should be higher in the pecking order.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:57 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I like how people are so eager to give Gustafsson a title shot but scoff at Phil Davis getting one. Davis took him to school, and with a win over Griffin should be higher in the pecking order.
I think Gus, Teix and Davis are still a top 5 win away from a title shot. Meaning wins vs Rua/Rampage/Griffin gives them a contender fight with a Evans/Hendo/Machida before getting a title shot.

jw2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:20 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I think Gus, Teix and Davis are still a top 5 win away from a title shot. Meaning wins vs Rua/Rampage/Griffin gives them a contender fight with a Evans/Hendo/Machida before getting a title shot.
Yup, agreed. It will be interesting who fights who after these upcoming fights.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:36 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

vCash: 470
Quote:
Davis didn't take him to school. He failed on about 6 takedown attempts and gained dominant position through one takedown and one Gus takedown, which he had no business doing.

Let's see, since that fight, one has taken quite a tumble and the other has skyrocketed. I wonder why this is happening.

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:37 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

Quote:
Shogun is top 5...

Old
11-28-2012, 04:02 PM
kurt
the last emperor

I agree about BJ. Win or lose, I'd much rather see him back at LW. Just because he couldn't overcome Edgar's style doesn't mean he didn't belong there anymore.

Or, he should retire.

EDIT - oops forgot Diaz/Penn happened before his suspension... thought for some reason he was taken off the card. My bad.

Last edited by kurt: 11-28-2012 at 04:08 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:05 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

Diaz/BJ again?

Old
11-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I think he's the guy Nick Diaz should fight at WW when Diaz is off suspension though. That would make for an exceptional non-title fight co-main event, as far as drawing power goes.
BJ already got beat up by Nick, why would we want to see that again?

As far as Nick goes, I think there are 3 fights that make sense for him(should he not get an immediate title shot against GSP as some want). Koscheck, Hendricks or MacDonald, assuming he beats BJ. Could probably throw Condit in there as well.

Quote:
Or, he should retire.
If he loses, and loses badly, I expect he probably will. He was already semi-retired when he took the fight.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:08 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Diaz/BJ again?
Haha, my bad. Edited my post.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:22 PM
jw2

Quote:
Shogun is top 5...
I dont think so, and according to the UFC, he's not either.

Title - Jones
#1 Contender - Sonnen (he's getting the fight)
Henderson
Evans
Machida

Besides, no top 5 in any division is getting a fight with Brandon Vera. YOU might consider him top 5, but no way he deserves a title shot ahead of any of the non-Chael mentioned fighters.

jw2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:32 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

Quote:

Title - Jones
Henderson
Evans
Machida

Besides, no top 5 in any division is getting a fight with Brandon Vera. YOU might consider him top 5, but no way he deserves a title shot ahead of any of the non-Chael mentioned fighters.
It's a joke if you think that Chael should be ranked ahead of Shogun. Evans is coming off a loss, why would he deserve it more than Shogun?

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/11/2...ht-heavyweight
http://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings...Rankings-47523

Last edited by MurrayBannerman: 11-28-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old
11-28-2012, 04:51 PM
HalbertGil*
crab whom enjoy

Sad to say but don't think Diaz will win.

HalbertGil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:11 PM
m9

Quote:
Davis didn't take him to school. He failed on about 6 takedown attempts and gained dominant position through one takedown and one Gus takedown, which he had no business doing.

Let's see, since that fight, one has taken quite a tumble and the other has skyrocketed. I wonder why this is happening.
Quite a tumble? He lost one fight and it was to the second or third best guy in the division. He finished Gustafsson in the first round. This is exactly the lack of credit that is normal for Davis and I don't get it.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:25 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

Quote:
Quite a tumble? He lost one fight and it was to the second or third best guy in the division. He finished Gustafsson in the first round. This is exactly the lack of credit that is normal for Davis and I don't get it.
He got absolutely man handled by a wrestler, which is key to Davis winning. If he can't hang with Evans' wrestling, he can't hang with Jones' either. That's where the confidence goes.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
He should be higher in the pecking order because he beat Gustafsson over two years ago? That's probably the only thing he has over Gustafsson right now.

Neither guy deserves a title shot right now but if they win their upcoming fights, they'll be in the conversation. If Gustafsson beats Shogun, he'll be on a six fight winning streak with wins over Shogun, Silva, Matyushenko, Hamill, Te-Huna, and Diabate. If Davis beats Forrest, he'll be on a two fight winning streak with wins over Forrest and Prado.

Davis has that win over Gustafsson on his resume but IMO that's not a factor here because it happened so long ago. But even if you do factor that in, what Gustafsson has done recently is still more impressive. Assuming Davis wins his next fight, I think he would still have to beat Gustafsson (again) or beat a top 5 or 10 guy to jump ahead of Gustafsson. Forrest isn't in the top 10 anymore and Shogun is top 5. Davis only has that one loss on his record and it was against one of the best LHWs in the UFC but he hasn't beaten a top guy yet.

Quote:

Title - Jones
Henderson
Evans
Machida
They offered Shogun the Jones fight before Belfort and Chael so obviously they have him ranked higher than those guys. Chael might be getting the title shot but you can't put him in the top five since he hasn't fought in that division in years.

Last edited by Avs_19: 11-28-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Very good point. If my memory serves me correctly that was the fight that convinced him to move to the states & train with mr. Wonderful.

I'm another guy who'd like to see bj make another 155 run now that his kryptonite moved down. A title fight with Benson would be an incredibly exciting matchup.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:34 PM
m9

Quote:
He got absolutely man handled by a wrestler, which is key to Davis winning. If he can't hang with Evans' wrestling, he can't hang with Jones' either. That's where the confidence goes.
And yet when Davis does it to Gustafsson it means nothing?

Old
11-28-2012, 06:36 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

Quote:
And yet when Davis does it to Gustafsson it means nothing?
He didn't man handle Gus at all. Gus stuffed 6 takedown attempts. And at that point, Gus was without any semblance of a ground game.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:45 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
He should be higher in the pecking order because he beat Gustafsson over two years ago? That's probably the only thing he has over Gustafsson right now.

Neither guy deserves a title shot right now but if they win their upcoming fights, they'll be in the conversation. If Gustafsson beats Shogun, he'll be on a six fight winning streak with wins over Shogun, Silva, Matyushenko, Hamill, Te-Huna, and Diabate. If Davis beats Forrest, he'll be on a two fight winning streak with wins over Forrest and Prado.

Davis has that win over Gustafsson on his resume but IMO that's not a factor here because it happened so long ago. But even if you do factor that in, what Gustafsson has done recently is still more impressive. Assuming Davis wins his next fight, I think he would still have to beat Gustafsson (again) or beat a top 5 or 10 guy to jump ahead of Gustafsson. Forrest isn't in the top 10 anymore and Shogun is top 5. Davis only has that one loss on his record and it was against one of the best LHWs in the UFC but he hasn't beaten a top guy yet.

They offered Shogun the Jones fight before Belfort and Chael so obviously they have him ranked higher than those guys. Chael might be getting the title shot but you can't put him in the top five since he hasn't fought in that division in years.
I don't agree with everything, but I agree that Davis and Gustafsson probably both need another fight. Doubt they fight each other though since they train together I believe, although it would make the most sense timing wise.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
I don't agree with everything, but I agree that Davis and Gustafsson probably both need another fight.
They likely won't have a choice either, unless they want to wait for close to a year. Most likely the winner of Hendo/Machida will be getting the next title shot and if that's the case then Jon Jones' schedule is likely filled for the next 10+ months.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

This is going to be a tough for Diaz and we'll get to see if he has improved his wrestling. I think he can pull it off though.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:12 PM
m9

Quote:
He didn't man handle Gus at all. Gus stuffed 6 takedown attempts. And at that point, Gus was without any semblance of a ground game.
Call it whatever you want, he finished the guy in the first round and was never in any danger. It was an impressive win.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:25 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Very good point. If my memory serves me correctly that was the fight that convinced him to move to the states & train with mr. Wonderful.

I'm another guy who'd like to see bj make another 155 run now that his kryptonite moved down. A title fight with Benson would be an incredibly exciting matchup.
Penn is finished.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote