HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morgan Rielly discussion thread.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Morgan hasn't looked the same since his first game in the Subway series, I wonder if he is tired or hurt, or Maybe both. Not a great game to watch on Friday.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:51 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Morgan hasn't looked the same since his first game in the Subway series, I wonder if he is tired or hurt, or Maybe both. Not a great game to watch on Friday.
Slightly hurt.....but nothing to worry about.

As for camp.....of course he should be there, and I say it's better than 50/50 that he stays. If the Jaw was a better team and competing for a championship he would get sent back. If the Jaw trades him to a top WHL team I say he gets sent back....otherwise he stays.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:30 AM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
Camp, then if he beats out another dman for a starting spot, give him the 9 games.

Otherwise, let him improve in the W, give him another shot next year. Some time in the AHL wouldn't hurt if necessary. Don't rush him.

My concern wouldn't be his offensive ability, but how will he 'defend' against NHL forwards.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

Automatic LOCK for 9 games.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:37 AM
dougieg93
flip for filip

He deserves a taste but not whole season. At the very least he should play the length of camp.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:02 AM
topched

This year is pretty interesting in terms of prospects making the NHL.

Reilly's would probably have an extra half season's worth of games than he would had the season started on time. Maybe that's all the development he needs.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:03 AM
TmlHockeyFan

Let him condition his skills and dominate before throwing him in. 1 year WHL, 1 year AHL, then NHL full-timer.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
I don't see how it could hurt him to give him 9 games in the NHL to see what areas of his game he has to work on for next season. If he plays well enough to make the team in a top-4 role in those games I wouldn't have a problem keeping him around the whole season.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Stephen

Just because most of our prospects suck or aren't read for NHL duty at 18 doesn't mean Rielly is automatically destined for another 3 years of minor league development. Not making a case that he should have a job but if he's playing great in camp I'm not sure you can just bury him. Sometimes I wonder if some of you would have sent an 18 year old Crosby back to the Q...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Just because most of our prospects suck or aren't read for NHL duty at 18 doesn't mean Rielly is automatically destined for another 3 years of minor league development. Not making a case that he should have a job but if he's playing great in camp I'm not sure you can just bury him. Sometimes I wonder if some of you would have sent an 18 year old Crosby back to the Q...
Nice post, I definitely agree with you. The decision on whether or not Rielly should be in the NHL at 18 shouldn't be made arbitrarily. If he's ready then we should give him the opportunity. The only way to find out is to evaluate him in camp.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:28 PM
New Liskeard

No harm in having Morgan up for training camp should there be one this year. Players like Liles, with his experience, can only help a young player like Rielly. More prospects have had challenges being rushed rather than being brought along slowly.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:29 PM
New Liskeard

[QUOTE=Stephen;56091837]Just because most of our prospects suck or aren't read for NHL duty at 18 doesn't mean Rielly is automatically destined for another 3 years of minor league development. Not making a case that he should have a job but if he's playing great in camp I'm not sure you can just bury him. Sometimes I wonder if some of you would have sent an 18 year old Crosby back to the Q...[/QUOTE]

Because Crosby is the norm, right?

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:52 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
Let him condition his skills and dominate before throwing him in. 1 year WHL, 1 year AHL, then NHL full-timer.
That's an impossible development path for Rielly, he won't be able to play in the A until he's 20. Makes next year a very interesting one, because if he's not ready for the big club, they have no choice but to put him back in the W, where he's already showing us he doesn't have much left to learn.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Question:

Say there was a training camp, we gave Rielly the 9 games. Then we decided to keep him. But then lets say halfway through the season we decide it's not best for him to be in the NHL anymore. What happens? AHL? Waivers? Not allowed to leave the NHL?

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The NHL even created a special circumstances clause allowing for NHL teams to recall junior players mid season when the lockout ends and training camp begins.

Leafs used their options to allow Rielly and David Broll to be options available to them.

Eligible CHL callups if the lockout ends

A list of prominent CHL junior players eligible for recall by their NHL teams if or when the current lockout ends. Submitting a player's name on the list doesn't mean he will be recalled when the lockout ends, but makes him eligible for consideration. These players could be recalled to tryout for their respective NHL teams and then normal rules would apply for keeping them or sending them back to junior.
I can understand giving Rielly it but why Broll? Seems like Tyler Biggs would of been a much better choice,

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:07 PM
KeziaTML

vCash: 279
If I was an NHL GM, my first round pick every year would get a 9 game chance to show his stuff in the major leagues unless it was glaringly obvious that he is not ready for NHL action. The experience gained is priceless, IMO. To go back to juniors ETC and say "I've skated with Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf would be a major confidence booster and hopefully elevate their game.

KeziaTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:09 PM
JVR2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
I can understand giving Rielly it but why Broll? Seems like Tyler Biggs would of been a much better choice,
I think management wants Biggs to develop the offense side of the game, something that will be difficult in the NHL. Broll isn't going to be much more than a 4th line plug and it seems he has the size and strength to play in the NHL.

JVR2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Hold on..let me guess you were one of the people who loved the fact that Schenn made the team at 18. Gushing over how powerful a hitter he was and ready to build a bronze statue out for the "Human Eraser". Look, Reilly is not NHL ready..I don't care how good he looks, how fast he is, how great he is in JUNIOR hockey and how good he may look in an NHL camp.

I'm extremely extremely! happy we drafted Reilly. He's a stud. But first off who said "most of our prospects suck" and who said Reilly was "destined to 3 years of minor league camp"? Reilly needs to freakin develop. He has amazing raw skill, but he's a kid..he's 18. Most 18 year olds need at LEAST another year in junior and a year in the minors to get used to the pro game.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you would just keep all our 18-year old prospects on the big club because of how they looked in a freaking training camp.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR2112 View Post
I think management wants Biggs to develop the offense side of the game, something that will be difficult in the NHL. Broll isn't going to be much more than a 4th line plug and it seems he has the size and strength to play in the NHL.
My thought is the same as JVR, I think Broll is closer to his ceiling. Biggs could maybe become a 2nd liner, heck, maybe even a first, but he still needs to develop into that. Broll meanwhile is basically limited to 4th, maybe 3rd line duties and he is already pretty much there in my opinion. Of our CHL prospects, the order I would list calling up for the 9 games is:
Rielly
Broll
Biggs
Percy (looked pretty good in the AHL playoffs last year)
Rupert (he is more of a pest, he does that really effectively already, he may not have that long of a development period to get to the NHL)
Finn (just because I want him to succeed for some random reason)
Brown (brings good leadership, could be the kind of energy player we have been lacking)
Leivo (not to say he won't make the NHL, just in my opinion he has the least likelihood of all of our CHL prospects)

Only my top 3 really is set in stone, if you present me with a good argument to switch around the others I'm all for it.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Deebo

[QUOTE=New Liskeard;56093819]
Quote:
Just because most of our prospects suck or aren't read for NHL duty at 18 doesn't mean Rielly is automatically destined for another 3 years of minor league development. Not making a case that he should have a job but if he's playing great in camp I'm not sure you can just bury him. Sometimes I wonder if some of you would have sent an 18 year old Crosby back to the Q...[/QUOTE]

Because Crosby is the norm, right?
Yea, that's what he said.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:30 PM
diceman934

Rielly will be in camp and I say that it is about 60-40 he stays.

My reasons:

NHL ready

Moose Jaw is not very good and the chance for meaningful games this year 0%

If he was traded to another top WHL team then I say there is a better than 50% chance he is sent back to the WHL. He will not play in the AHL next year.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:26 PM
diceman934

Rielly looks a lot better tonight. Two assists last night....nothing yet tonight but its early.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:47 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Question:

Say there was a training camp, we gave Rielly the 9 games. Then we decided to keep him. But then lets say halfway through the season we decide it's not best for him to be in the NHL anymore. What happens? AHL? Waivers? Not allowed to leave the NHL?
I believe he'd go back to Junior without fear of waivers, but it would burn a year off of his ELC. At this rate though, that 9 game tryout would be half the season anyways...

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
I believe he'd go back to Junior without fear of waivers, but it would burn a year off of his ELC. At this rate though, that 9 game tryout would be half the season anyways...
OH RIGHT! The ELC part sounds right, thanks.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:26 PM
diceman934

Rielly Scores the go ahead goal with about 5 minutes to go....he has played a lot of minutes tonight....should end up with about 28-30 minute of ice.

It was the game winner .....unassisted.

Last edited by diceman934: 11-28-2012 at 11:31 PM.