HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Bombers 2013 Season Thread (next game: 08/05 @ BC)

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Blue Bombers 2013 Season Thread (next game: 08/05 @ BC)

Well the off-season after another disappointing Blue Bomber season is once again upon us. All talk CFL and Blue Bomber off-season talk goes here.

To get us started, in news that surprises exactly ZERO bomber fans, Jeff Reinebold is fired after only one season in Montreal.
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=410414

Old
11-28-2012, 01:15 AM
Bob E

^^^ No surprise.

Especially after Milt called him out during halftime in the East final... Something like: "if Coach Reinbold continues to blitz on every down, Rickey Ray will tear them apart and win this game."

Well, Reinbold continued to be aggressive in his approach and Ricky Ray was pretty effective.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:17 AM
Bob E

Who do folks want to see as the starting QB next year?

Rielly?

McPhearson?

Porter?

Pierce?

Other?

Sounds like a poll to me.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:42 AM
Boreal

Time for optimism to reign supreme. At least we rebuilt the offensive line this year, which, let's be honest, was in shambles going into last season. It is now solid. Getting Tyson Pencer healthy and into the mix won't hurt things either. Special teams also appears to be solid, for the most part.

We have a high-end tailback (Chad Simpson), an ultra-high-end receiver (Chris Matthews), to go along with a quickly developing MLB (Henoc Muamba) and support (Marcellus Bowman & Brandon Stewart). If we can solidify the D-line which already has two strong pieces (Bryant Turner and Alex Hall), and the secondary finds its game again (not that crazy, with Jovon Johnson, Jonathan Hefney and Alex Suber back there) we should be in the thick of things with average quarterbacking. That said, quarterback play is the elephant in the room, and there are clearly no quick fixes out there, but I cannot imagine that we go to camp next year with Buck as the first option. The guy is a warrior, but sadly, he's unreliable as the starting pivot. I suppose if we are going to air lift in a pivot, Mike Reilly makes the most sense, out of all available options. He has some polish to his game, but the sample size is really small.

*raises one* To the off-season! Cheers.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:42 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...181138101.html

Quote:
Potential assistant GM candidate Duane Forde has made his expectations known to the club in terms of salary and authority and the Bombers are unlikely to meet either.

Forde wants more than $200,000 per year and a long-term contract as well as final say on the Canadian draft.

The board, at this juncture anyway, won't give CEO Garth Buchko the money to hire Forde and GM Joe Mack is unwilling to cede his authority on draft day
Quote:
Unless there is a change of thinking in Bomberland, the organization will likely promote from within, making special teams coach Kyle Walters its next assistant GM.

Not because Walters is the best man for the job but because it will cost less and keep Mack unchallenged in the decision-making process on personnel matters. The wrong decision for the wrong reasons.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I say hire Forde just to break up the casting archon of Black and Forde

Maybe other teams will chip in too

Old
11-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Gm0ney

Quote:
Colour me not-so-optimistic about this Bombers off-season...

If the Bombers aren't going to spend $200k on Forde, I don't think they're going to go out and spend a lot of money to bring in a QB...or any high-priced talent.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Typical cheap Bombers attitude. This type of attitude needs less support by the fans that pay good money and expect more from the team.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:02 PM
dhfromkw

Anybody else going to the stadium asset sale tomorrow morning? I chose to line up for this instead of the new IKEA this morning.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Duane Forde actually grew on me. Pretty clear he understands the details of football and has a knack for spotting raw talent. I'd say give him a shot.

Hopefully that also gets rid of Rod Black. That dude is the worst commentator in sports. Just horrible.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhfromkw View Post
Anybody else going to the stadium asset sale tomorrow morning? I chose to line up for this instead of the new IKEA this morning.
Nope. I'm saving my promissory notes for the fireplace.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Son of a *****. We have a chance to add Duane Ford as the assistant GM and we are going to turn it down since we are cheap and Mack's huge ****ING EGO!! Duane Ford knows more about the 2017 draft already than Mack will ever know about any draft. **** you Mack, you tool. This organization is such a huge ******* joke. It gets harder every ******* day to support these tools.

I hate Lawless, but the Bombers make it so ******* easy to attack them. Duane Ford is a great football mind. And they could add him as an ASSISTANT GM. That would be unreal. I completely agree with Lawless on this one. The best people surround themselves with the best people. Instead Mack doesn't want that since it might challenge him, that's how the worst people operate, suppressing opposing viewpoints (ie dictators). Just awful, I bet Ford gets the GM position in OTT and leads them to a Grey Cup before WPG and that's starting in 2014 with an expansion team...

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 11-28-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old
11-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Son of a *****. We have a chance to add Duane Ford as the assistant GM and we are going to turn it down since we are cheap and Mack's huge ****ING EGO!! Duane Ford knows more about the 2017 draft already than Mack will ever know about any draft. **** you Mack, you tool. This organization is such a huge ******* joke. It gets harder every ******* day to support these tools.
Burn your promissory notes in the fireplace with me instead of supporting crap. We can roast marshmallows and make s'mores

Old
11-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 2084
Quote:

I hate Lawless, but the Bombers make it so ******* easy to attack them. Duane Ford is a great football mind. And they could add him as an ASSISTANT GM. That would be unreal. I completely agree with Lawless on this one. The best people surround themselves with the best people. Instead Mack doesn't want that since it might challenge him, that's how the worst people operate, suppressing opposing viewpoints (ie dictators). Just awful, I bet Ford gets the GM position in OTT and leads them to a Grey Cup before WPG and that's starting in 2014 with an expansion team...
This team is a ****ing joke, WHERE IS THE ACCOUNTABILITY!

It's DUANE FORDE Imagine what he could do to our canadian drafts IN ONE YEAR!

This team better get its act together, or that fancy new stadium might just be not as full as it needs to be.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:32 PM
sully1410

Ok...so...

Who's Duane Ford?

Old
11-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Ex-CFL'er and colour guy on TSN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Forde

Old
11-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

He does amazing work mostly with the CFL draft, for TSN but also for the CFL. Scouts alot, works with the CIS alot, works with E-Camp, even running his own stuff with the E-Camp. He is the foremost expert on the CFL draft, anywhere as far as I'm concerned. His stuff can actually be hard to find on TSN and he does not put out much, but the stuff he does write is amazing great stuff for the CFL draft, and young canadians going back to high school aged kids. I wish TSN would hire someone half as competent for hockey.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Typical over-reaction by casual fans who have bought into what the local media is feeding them about Duane Forde.

Duane Forde is asking $200k a year guaranteed in a 3+ year deal and even though Lawless barely skimmed over it in his article, the biggest factor in all of this is that he's also asking for 100% complete control of the CFL draft. Duane Forde has exactly zero experience in the front office of a football program at any level and already, he's demanding control of one of the most important areas of player personnel as well as high-end secondary executive salary figures? Get real. I'm not opposed to hiring Duane Forde, but with these demands, he's out to lunch.

Forde may know a ton about Canadian football and he may be in tune with the Canadian high school programs that matter, as well as the CIS but with the growing number of players headed to the NCAA thanks to improved training at the grassroots level, you need a guy who is well-versed with American contacts as well. Forde doesn't have that. If you look at his history, his past assessments of Canadians coming out of the NCAA have been near awful. He called John Bender (y'know, the guy who is out of pro football now) the best OL prospect in the 2009 draft when he was coming out of Nevada. Zac Carlson out of Weber State was deemed a "can't miss" prospect by Forde. I could go on and on.

People also seem to conveniently ignore that Forde is a reporter. With access to pretty much every CFL executive that can and will feed him information about prospects. You think he's going to continue receiving this insight when and if he takes a job in the CFL? Absolutely not, he's going to be on his own and considering he's made exactly zero draft picks ever, I sure would not be interested in handing control over to him, which is what he wants.

Forde is the sexy choice because that's what you've all been told to believe by the media (his friend and co-worker, nonetheless) but for those who knew about the background of Kyle Walters before he came to the Bombers, you'd know that not only is he more qualified for the role, he's also got experience with it as well.

Walters was the head coach and, by extension, recruiter for the Guelph Gryphons from 2006 until 2010 when he joined the Bombers. For those who don't know about Guelph, they're not exactly a large scale program in the OUA. As a comparison, consider them the Arizona or Washington State that has to compete year-in and year-out against teams like Stanford, Oregon or USC. Guelph never produced strong results in the win-loss column, but in a short amount of time, Walters developed a reputation for turning that program from a laughing stock that got blown out of every game they participated in to a team that didn't always win, but at least competed tough. I think in his second year, he broke a streak of 5+ years where the team didn't score more than 150 pts and didn't give up less than 250 in an 8 game schedule. He turned it around to the point where they were scoring 270 a year and only giving up 180. Huge turnaround for a program that will never attract top level athletes.

On top of that, he's proven as an asset on our draft staff and he's got the CIS contacts to boot. He was largely responsible for our drafting of Paul Swiston, as well as the one who made the recommendation to draft Chris Greaves with the intention of converting him into an offensive lineman.

Walters has a track record. It's not perfect, but he's at least proven something at this level. Forde has not. Too many people judging Walters because he's not a successful special teams coordinator, but in reality, that's like trying to say he can't be a good lawyer because he lacked the ability required of a surgeon. I would have been okay with either hire, but Walters was always my first choice and I'm glad they went ahead earlier today and hired him (should be announced soon)

Old
11-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Typical attack on people having a different opinion. "Casual fans" buying "media propaganda". I grow weary of you questioning my intelligence, cut it out.

I am the first to admit Lawless is a talentless hack. Unless he is completely making up facts (which I could believe), but you clearly support the important facts (salary + his demands).

Walters has the CIS contacts, but the guy who been working with ALL the CIS teams closely for years and years doesn't? That doesn't make sense. Neither does Walter having ANY kind of advantage in terms of American programs, this is a guy who has never needed to even LOOK at the american programs. How does that work as a positive for him? At very least Forde is well versed in them, even if his track record in the NCAA is not great to date. Not too mention I don't believe it to be all that bad like you said, it's easy to make mistakes when we are talking about the ENTIRE draft class...

Control on the CFL draft? I'd give it to him, Mack has been a mess. You will clearly disagree, but Mack has made a point of differing completely from what is expected to go out on his own, and he does not have ANY proven results from this "I'm the smartest guy in the room" mentality. No results at all. For me it's typical of a GM who refuses to have anybody to question his authority. He is over the top and refuses to listen to anybody, AFAIC. He wanted final say, not the ONLY say. If Mack goes out and tells him we really need a top end O-Line prospect for example, is Forde going to refuse and draft a WR anyways? I doubt it. Stupid, you can surrender that power and still WORK with the guy.

Salary...cutting corners and counting dimes. Again. As always. How much are they realistically saving in terms of salary? 50-70K? C'mon, it's pocket change. For a key position to help develop the squad, you get one of the most well connected guys in the CIS community.

Honestly, there's nothing particularly wrong with the Walters hire, obviously his repertoire as a ST coach has no effect on it. But when you have the chance to add a talented and very highly thought of young exec in a support capacity to bolster your staff, you do it. In case you forgot, they already HAD Walters. If he was that good, you move him to the head scouting position to help Forde, and WOW NOW YOU HAVE BOTH these apparently great young execs.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Typical attack on people having a different opinion. "Casual fans" buying "media propaganda". I grow weary of you questioning my intelligence, cut it out.

I am the first to admit Lawless is a talentless hack. Unless he is completely making up facts (which I could believe), but you clearly support the important facts (salary + his demands).

Walters has the CIS contacts, but the guys who been working with ALL the CIS teams closely for years and years doesn't? That doesn't make sense. Neither does Walter having ANY kind of advantage here, this is a guy who has never needed to even LOOK at the american programs. How does that work as a positive for him? At very least Forde is well versed in them, even if his track record in the NCAA is not great to date. Not too mention I don't believe it to be all that bad like you said, it's easy to make mistakes when we are talking about the ENTIRE draft class...

Control on the CFL draft? I'd give it to him, Mack has been a mess. You will clearly disagree, but Mack has made a point of differing completely from what is expected to go out on his own, and he does not have ANY proven results from this "I'm the smartest guy in the room" mentality. No results at all. For me it's typical of a GM who refuses to have anybody to question his authority. He is over the top and refuses to listen to anybody, AFAIC. He wanted final say, not the ONLY say. If Mack goes out and tells him we really need a top end O-Line prospect for example, is Forde going to refuse and draft a WR anyways? I doubt it. Stupid, you can surrender that power and still WORK with the guy.

Salary...cutting corners and counting dimes. Again. As always. How much are they realistically saving in terms of salary? 50-70K? C'mon, it's pocket change. For a key position to help develop the squad, you get one of the most well connected guys in the CIS community.

Honestly, there's nothing particularly wrong with the Walters hire, obviously his repertoire as a ST coach has no effect on it. But when you have the chance to add a talented and very highly thought of young exec in a support capacity to bolster your staff, you do it. In case you forgot, they already HAD Walters. If he was that good, you move him to the head scouting position to help Forde, and WOW NOW YOU HAVE BOTH these apparently great young execs.
Run this thought through your mind and see how you feel about it.

If we ran the last three drafts the way Forde saw them instead of the way Mack saw them, we'd have Scott Mitchell, John Bender, Nathan Coehoorn and Kirby Fabien or Austin Pasztor instead of Henoc Muamba, Cory Watson, Tyson Pencer and Jade Etienne. While not every single pick we've made has been a hit, I'd sure rather have the class Mack has recruited as opposed to the guys Forde had love for.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
Run this thought through your mind and see how you feel about it.

If we ran the last three drafts the way Forde saw them instead of the way Mack saw them, we'd have Scott Mitchell, John Bender, Nathan Coehoorn and Kirby Fabien or Austin Pasztor instead of Henoc Muamba, Cory Watson, Tyson Pencer and Jade Etienne. While not every single pick we've made has been a hit, I'd sure rather have the class Mack has recruited as opposed to the guys Forde had love for.
Actually no we wouldn't. You are guessing. But let's play this out anyways.

I have two links. One only has Bender as the top OG, no guarantee he would have went with him, the other says that although he is top O-Line he will only be a mid round pick due to potential NFL interest. One also lists Shawn Gore as the top receiver (which seems fine to me) the other states that Cory Watson is the best player in the draft...somehow I get the feeling Watson (or Gore) would have ended up in Winnipeg anyways.
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/duane_forde/?id=303921
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=22604
Greaves is the #4 DT, kinda like Forde had also seen this "Walters special"...

We take Scott Mitchell here, that's fine. He is a young potential tackle, easily take him over a guy who hasn't played football in two years in Pencer. We probably go somewhere else with the 2012 pick. But let's remember we knew we were picking up Kito Poblah in the supplemental draft + Watson (real life) or Watson/Gore (Forde draft). So why pick Etienne or Coehoorn? We take Mitchell #1, there is a solid chance Muamba is available at #4, who he had highly rated (top LB). No problem there that I see. Again this is assuming Forde and Mack would cooperate and work together. Clearly Mack wanted Muamba badly, so I will assume Forde will work with him and get him at #4.
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/duane_forde/?id=364967
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/?id=365050
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/?id=334531
Oh look, Paul Swiston is listed as the #5, kinda like Forde would have taken him, another one of your "Walters specials".

Kirby Fabien or Austin Pasztor versus Tyson Pencer. I see no problem at all there. Pencer has not played a down of football since 2010. All are high end prospects we are still waiting on to see what they can do. But with Scott Mitchell in the system already, maybe we look elsewhere, grabbing somebody like Shamad Chambers or Frederic Plessius instead (who were on top of Ford's rankings for their respective positions). Or maybe we don't make the RETARDED deal to trade up to get Westerman only to have BC leapfrog ours since Forde might have a better idea of the draft (he was the first to call Westerman's rise) and we end up with Chambers + Plessius or Hurl. That would have been unreal.
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/duane_forde/?id=394933

But it's a bunch speculation. IMO, these "guesses" would Watson/Gore, Mitchell, Muamba, Fabien/Pasztor/Chambers+Plessius/Hurl versus Watson, Muamba, Etienne, Pencer is a great trade off, IMO. I mean it doesn't make the difference between playoffs or not, the CFL draft does not really make that difference, which is why I think handing over control to somebody (who is more familiar with the draft) is not a big deal to secure a talented young potentially hugely valuable exec.

Mack has mishandled the draft, maybe it's time to give someone more familiar with the draft to handle it. Mack has done decently recruiting imports (his one redeeming quality), maybe he should stick to that.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 11-28-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old
11-28-2012, 06:36 PM
sully1410

Quote:
He does amazing work mostly with the CFL draft, for TSN but also for the CFL. Scouts alot, works with the CIS alot, works with E-Camp, even running his own stuff with the E-Camp. He is the foremost expert on the CFL draft, anywhere as far as I'm concerned. His stuff can actually be hard to find on TSN and he does not put out much, but the stuff he does write is amazing great stuff for the CFL draft, and young canadians going back to high school aged kids. I wish TSN would hire someone half as competent for hockey.
He sounds good. We should hire him.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:18 PM
puck stoppa

When I ran into Pierce the other weekend at our team's fundraiser he said this:
"Ill be back next year, I was already told this. I don't know if it will be as the starter, backup, third string or even as a coach, but I don't care as I just want to be a part of the Bombers in some capacity and help this city win a Cup as I love Winnipeg"
He lives in Headingly all year round and really wants to live here and contribute to the organization anyway he can. Just what he told me. Class act guy in my mind, hope he stays on as vetrean backup in case Reilly (or whomever) needs the support.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:06 AM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Ok...so...

Who's Duane Ford?
Apparently the greatest asst. GM that never was according to the Winnipeg Jets HFBoards...

He hasn't proven a thing yet he is worth $200,000 as an assistant GM?

And the BOmbers are cheap for not paying it?

The information he compiled might not have been his own doing guys and gals. He could have had a LITTLE help with that.

Walters, by all accounts, is quite qualified for the job. Should be no reason to panic if he gets the job. This is just another Lawless "I hate Joe Mack and the Bombers" article.

In other news, we should be getting Creehan back as our new defensive co-ordinater. This should be good news as he and Burke worked together to make the Bombers' defense the best unit in 2011.

As for the question from the poster above, I would gladly take Reilly as a free agent. He can give Elliott some legit competition for the starters job. Bring in Elliott, release Brink (who was average in last regular season game), keep Goltz and maybe keep Buck (possibly as player/coach).

IF Mack doesn't bring in some new blood at QB to challenge Elliott I will be P*****.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Actually no we wouldn't. You are guessing. But let's play this out anyways.

I have two links. One only has Bender as the top OG, no guarantee he would have went with him, the other says that although he is top O-Line he will only be a mid round pick due to potential NFL interest. One also lists Shawn Gore as the top receiver (which seems fine to me) the other states that Cory Watson is the best player in the draft...somehow I get the feeling Watson (or Gore) would have ended up in Winnipeg anyways.
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/duane_forde/?id=303921
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=22604
Greaves is the #4 DT, kinda like Forde had also seen this "Walters special"...
So he gets to publish two completely different sets of rankings. Okay, so let's review the actual RANKINGS you posted.

He has Reinders above Eppele, which is laughable. Bender as the top guard ahead of guys like Bomben, Matte or Neufeld. Bender as the top guy in any list was a sad choice but that's typical because as I said, Forde knows very little about the guys from the NCAA other than what scouts tell him and Bender was coming out of Nevada.

Not sure why ranking Greaves as a DT suggests he thought Greaves could become a starting guard like Walters did. According to his list of receivers, he bought into Steven Turner and Jordan Sisco hype WAY too much and totally undervalued Foster. Interestingly enough, you'll see he also has Rory Kohlert ranked waaaay down at #19. Missed the boat on where to rank Rwabukamba who, of course, was another NCAA guy.

Quote:
We take Scott Mitchell here, that's fine. He is a young potential tackle, easily take him over a guy who hasn't played football in two years in Pencer. We probably go somewhere else with the 2012 pick. But let's remember we knew we were picking up Kito Poblah in the supplemental draft + Watson (real life) or Watson/Gore (Forde draft). So why pick Etienne or Coehoorn? We take Mitchell #1, there is a solid chance Muamba is available at #4, who he had highly rated (top LB). No problem there that I see. Again this is assuming Forde and Mack would cooperate and work together. Clearly Mack wanted Muamba badly, so I will assume Forde will work with him and get him at #4.
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/duane_forde/?id=364967
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/?id=365050
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/?id=334531
Oh look, Paul Swiston is listed as the #5, kinda like Forde would have taken him, another one of your "Walters specials".
Muamba went #1 because BC / Edmonton were going to take him otherwise. Do the research on that one, no way was he going to be there at #4. Scott Mitchell, you would have been fine with? Meh. Good for you. Scott Mitchell was another guy Forde hyped up coming out of the NCAA who realistically should have probably gone in the 2nd or 3rd round. He's progressed through Edmonton's system at the same pace Paul Swiston has progressed through ours. Despite the fact that Edmonton started the year with their ENTIRE projected starting offensive line out due to injury or in one guy's case, a prison term, Mitchell STILL couldn't crack their lineup until mid-season. That's terrible progression for a #2 pick.

I'm not going to remember that we knew we were picking Poblah in the supplemental draft because that's not at all true. Poblah didn't become eligible for the supplemental until AFTER the draft and Mack has gone on record since to say that he likely would have gone in a different direction at #4 had he known Poblah was going to be available. To suggest otherwise is revisionist history on your part.

As for Forde's rankings, I see plenty of errors again. Why he ever thought Craig Butler was not as good of a prospect as Carter (another NCAA guy he overvalued) or Hugo Lopez is a mystery to me. He ranked Brody McKnight (again, NCAA guy - see the pattern here?) third in the kicker rankings and he ended up going in the first round and was again recently dealt for a first rounder. Not too many glaring errors in the offensive rankings, although I still can't believe NOBODY saw Parker as a potential bust. Parker and Etienne were very similar in terms of the tools they offered as prospects, except one was coming out of Calgary as a second generation player. Somehow that was enough to have him go 3rd in the draft.

Quote:
Kirby Fabien or Austin Pasztor versus Tyson Pencer. I see no problem at all there. Pencer has not played a down of football since 2010. All are high end prospects we are still waiting on to see what they can do. But with Scott Mitchell in the system already, maybe we look elsewhere, grabbing somebody like Shamad Chambers or Frederic Plessius instead (who were on top of Ford's rankings for their respective positions). Or maybe we don't make the RETARDED deal to trade up to get Westerman only to have BC leapfrog ours since Forde might have a better idea of the draft (he was the first to call Westerman's rise) and we end up with Chambers + Plessius or Hurl. That would have been unreal.
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/duane_forde/?id=394933
Forde wasn't the first one to call Westerman's rise at all. He was the guy who REPORTED it because that's what he does. He's a reporter. Westerman's rise started at the combine. As for wanting Plesius or Fabien, good on you. If you want more Jonathan Hardaway clients, it'd be your funeral as a personnel guy. Plesius dropped in the draft solely because his agent is a total knob and nobody wants to deal with the guy. Fabien is represented by the same guy. Hardaway is an agent with his own best interests in mind, which is why he's misleading about player intentions (see: Fabien holding out for starting NI money in camp and then going back to school despite telling BC he wanted to go pro) and why teams are reluctant to draft his guys anymore. We'll see how negotiations go with Gascon-Nadon, Plesius and Rockhill in Hamilton this year.

There is legitimately NOTHING wrong with the Pencer pick at this point in time and even though you probably ignored it because it didn't come from the almighty Duane Forde, if you were to go back and look, you'd notice an article in the Toronto Sun about the combine where it was stated that several scouts in attendance believed Pencer had the potential to go as high as #1. Pencer wasn't a bad choice, he was a bit of a risk because of injury issues but come on, this is the CFL Draft. Every pick is a risk. Pasztor was a risk because of NFL interest. Fabien was a risk because of his agent. Pick your poison. Pencer has potential at tackle, not just guard and that's not something you can say about those other guys. I don't mind the pick even if everyone else feels like it's terrible because he suffered an injury and now he's a "write-off".

Quote:
But it's a bunch speculation. IMO, these "guesses" would Watson/Gore, Mitchell, Muamba, Fabien/Pasztor/Chambers+Plessius/Hurl versus Watson, Muamba, Etienne, Pencer is a great trade off, IMO. I mean it doesn't make the difference between playoffs or not, the CFL draft does not really make that difference, which is why I think handing over control to somebody (who is more familiar with the draft) is not a big deal to secure a talented young potentially hugely valuable exec.

Mack has mishandled the draft, maybe it's time to give someone more familiar with the draft to handle it. Mack has done decently recruiting imports (his one redeeming quality), maybe he should stick to that.
My god. I wish I had gotten to this comment before I spent time replying. The CFL draft is HUGELY important to the success of a franchise and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Canadian talent is what separates successful teams from unsuccessful ones. Everyone can scout talented Americans, but can you fill your depth with Canadians? That's what the draft is for and it's incredibly important.

Closed Thread